Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm on the army council along with Bob Marley, Shergar and lord Lucan.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

So is your solution to increase wages, increasing buying power and leading to a further increase in house prices?

The problem is a lack of supply. And Sinn Fein TDs are hardly helping the situation, objecting as they so often do to any housing developments they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,689 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think they simply come across as checking what way the wind is blowing. Apart from wanting a United Ireland, they really have no actual plan/policies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I kinda disagree with you there on Mary Lou. She's very sharp and knows what she wants to say and how to phrase it. I wouldn't underestimate her as a politician at all. Nor her ability to connect with people. If you haven't already, take the time to read Shane Ross's biography.

The real question with Mary Lou is just where the rhetoric is coming from, who really defines the party policies and how they should be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭This is it

Your posts offer nothing more than your own insecurities. Woe is me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

There are numerous government and local authority schemes to assist renters and buyers. The major problem is a massive lack of supply of homes.

And you are quite literally the only person I have ever heard in 40+ years repeatedly use the phrase 'dead money' and the only person I have ever heard continually claim that renters are looked down upon in Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

Then again they might be against it tomorrow.

They were pro-Putin ...maybe not so much now

They were anti-EU ...maybe not so much now.

They were for zero-Covid ...maybe not so much for the next pando .

They're a rag taggle weather vane party ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭mikethecop

for all we know you are ....

thats one of the many problems with sf , on one really knows who pulls the strings or what their motivations might be

you might think its funny but its just one of the many real and genuine concerns people have about a organized crime gang/ terrorist organization becoming involved in politics

after all they havent gone away have they ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Mary Lou isn't even meant to be SF leader.

That was MacLochlainn's destiny but he failed to get reelected in 2016.

Probably still calls the shots though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

To be fair, it's not a new line, SF have come in for criticism from the 'NP patriots MIGA' for a few years now - They know that SF voters are more likely to defect their way than are FF/FG voters.

I suspect their next manifesto will be wishy washy on immigration etc - Trying to please all comers when they may be better off picking a stance and sticking with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just my 2 cents worth.

I think they will still come out of the next election as the largest party but it won't be the landslide some were predicting even up to a year ago.

Immigration is their Achilles Heel and you can tell whenever its brought up they are uncomfortable talking about it and want to move on to safer topics like housing and health.

The reason they are more vunerable on immigration is because unlike other left leaning parties like the SDs the shinners have to go into more working class areas where a lot of the migrants are being housed and they are going to get it in the neck from the very people they need to get either elected or re elected.

Having said that PBP are probably in even more trouble and Murphy is done at this stage I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Why the decline?

SF policies are a joke. They ran under the banner "change" and they still continue to run under that banner yet when you look at their policies they are either wishy washy or the same as others. Like on the Green Policies thread when you had the anti-green brigade who spend all day complaining about wind. They put forward Sinn Fein as the alternative till I pointed out SF plan was to roll out more wind and faster than the Green Party they hated.

This is typical of a lot of people who ran around the last few years waffling about SF and have no idea what SF are actually about in terms of policies.

Of course SF have dodged this for years by not really answering questions and instead just waffling, or stick Pearse on a video outraged and people think he is great.

Problem with Pearse after watching 4 years of his faux outrage it so f**king boring now.

Then we look at the "Sinn Fein online supporters" which has destroyed most social media in Ireland, I would expect boards got hit as well, as Mary Lou described them and she was kind "pig ignorant". Four years of online abuse from people which are clearly been provided with information from the party is too much.

One which I thought would hit them more but doesn't seem to have is the "tax the rich" nonsense they came up with, first it was 140k and then 100k. What next 60k?

SF are wrapped up in organised crime, you would want to live under a rocj to have no idea about the army council or the links between the organised crime and SF. When you see the party running out of the Dail when any vote is done on special criminal court etc you an only assume that is not to upset the criminal links the party has.

It's a poor reflection on your own history education you know nothing about the history of Ireland and GFA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

How do SF get around it go even slightly more centrist or what?

But Labour tried that and look at what happened them, they got slowly obliterated and ironically SF could paint them as another party of the "establishment". Then Labour became fractured and is now lead by an academic turned politician. Not someone who will attract voters.

It will be really interesting to see what SF do, I suppose they could hope the immigrant issue blows over. But the seeds seem to sown among their traditional voter base now.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

They've become tiresome and don't seem to have a huge amount of policies or vision as to how they would do things differently.

Their habit of objecting to housing developments left right and centre doesn't go unnoticed.

Their habit of taking legal action against the media doesn't look great.

Political theatre like motions of no confidence that were never going to pass just looks like time wasting.

Their fixation with the middle east when there are lots of problems at home that need addressing.

Immigration is not blowing over, unless Sinn Fein swing and go against migration they will end up back in a heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Pearse Doherty one is a good point, when he started I thought "Oh this fella has a bit about him" then after a while the same record is spun for "effect" and it seems like a pantomime. Which sums up SF

But all that symbolism plays well in NI they love it up there, part of the culture. But in the ROI the politicians actually have to do something, they can't get away with bluffing stuff as easy.

There seems to be a portion of the electorate who switched to SF willing to give them a chance, but the longer SF don't come up with something concrete the quicker that portion of the electorate will think twice, and go elsewhere.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

theres a lot of people not happy with SF atm. theres the government parties, theres people who for various social media reasons rile one side against the other and SF are fair game - especially when losing poll votes.

Then theres the ireland for the irish crowd and irelands full etc - which are based on the reality of a shite housing policy, but some believe its immigration. I think its bad government decisions, causing an overflow of immigration the government wasnt ready for and combined with a shite housing policy has caused a lot of anger. So to some, all that is SF's fault and therefore SF are traitors etc.

Thats the people who are saying they wont vote SF again. as a SF supporter, Im delighted. Im just glad it wasn't a massive jump because that wave has crashed at this stage. I think come election time, people will realise its the current government thats let them down, not a party that isnt in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

What’s the story with then throwing out some Palestinian protestors from their meeting in Belfast with the PA Ambassador? Wrong sort of Palestinians? There was some of the fat bald types manhandling them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Alternatively, if people aren’t convinced by SF policies (likely) or, are scared by the effects of their policies might have on their wealth (possible), they will vote for the status quo. As a home owner, I don’t want higher taxes, I also think some of their housing policies like eviction bans and big increases in house building is just **** talk. When it gets to election time them will have to stop the posturing and flesh out their policies, that’s when the electorate will see they are bluffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

immigration aint going to blow over... unless 747's are flying out with failed applicants and then its lights out for Sinn Fein.

Honestly 4 years ago I rated him highly. I thought he was good and then it just went into a nosedive. The moment I seen what a (insert word) he is was during the covid time, trying to rip off his mask and couldn't get it off with the fau outrage. Nonsense.

SF best chance after last election was a quick election, for the government to fall during covid. When that didn't happen that was a huge issue, people started to notice how poor the TD's are. Like the housing guy, great at shouting in the Dail from behind Mary Lou, or reading off a sheet of paper. Put him into a live interview with questions and it grounds to a halt.

Louise O'Reilly, like who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to start waving around a picture of a random person?

Last time they benefitted from a revolt vote, said at the time that could move on and it looks like it has moved on to the independents.

I have a feeling come manifesto time for the election Sinn Fein will lose votes and not gain them.

People seem to think that our increase in population is due to foreigners. There has been hardly any outward emigration of Irish people over the last 10 years, and a lot of Irish emigrants have returned home during that time due to how well our economy has done under FFG. Also, a lot of Eastern Europeans left during Covid and as a result of the economies in their own countries doing so well.

I’m not aligned to any political party, truth be known, I rarely bother voting, but I do recognise that 10 yrs ago this country is in a dire state, and though they got many things wrong, FFG have guided us to a much better economic position during their tenure. Building just couldn’t keep up from a standing start in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

There is something SF/FF/FG have in common and that is their determination to see the housing crisis continue. You see, in order for the housing crisis to end, the inflation that has been pumped into existing housing stock cannot stay where it is. But, if there is even a slight leak, and any of the 200 billion euro of inflation the government pumped into house prices starts to escape, the government will do everything in its power to patch the pinhole and pump more inflation in.

The reason the government has to do this is because if house prices begin to fall, some people wiil be in negative equity. If they react by not paying their mortgages, house prices will fall further and then they will crash. You could argue that a lot of people want houses so they won`t crash but if that were true, all the poor people in Africa who wanted nice houses all these years would have had them or at the very least they would have rendered a three bed semi in Africa far more valuable than a similar house in Ireland. That is ridiculous of course. House prices will crash if the machinary used to rig them, breaks down. A sharp global recession would be just the ticket.

So how far could they fall? Well, my guess is about 30% below the lowest point they fell to following the 2008 credit crunch.

this has always been the case with SF though. people were asking those same questions about SF a decade ago

they were demanding sinn fein boycott the st pats day in the us. they got kicked out for disturbance I would assume (as would happen anywhere). thats a whole other discussion. I say go, because SF's absence wont mean **** all

SF record at housing is woeful, they took over DCC in 2014 and promised to build houses. They had a big article on website which of course has been deleted.

They got handed nearly 300m to build houses. By the time they got kicked out in 2019 DCC had less units than when they started in 2019.

Plus SF led DCC had built up nearly 40m in rent arrears with 1 tenant removed over that period.

While also during this period rejecting to any project which could of provided housing across Ireland.

Now maybe someone can explain to me why they think SF will resolve the housing crisis? the only benefit you might see is they will stop rejecting every house in Ireland if they are in government.

They also took over housing in Northern Ireland and similar results, actually worse. But that's someone else fault they will tell you

Theres only one problem with localised info like this - theres just not enough detail to give perspective.

• Advertisement

I don’t know if the info clo clo posted is accurate, but if it is, then the local area happens to be the area with the greatest need. If true, then perspective-wise, it is fairly focused.

Advertisement