Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's going on with Michelle obama

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

It would be a good thing if she did, but the alt right live in cloud cuckoo land so I have my doubts there is any substance to this.

The alt-right just luv Michelle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It'd be great to see. Biden has at most one term left so the Democrats will need a good replacement. I think she'd be a good fit.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

She could be Gavin Newsom's VP pick. The POTUS spouse route didn't work for Hillary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anything would be better than the 2 that are looking likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Michelle Obama seems like a lovely woman and all, but I don't know if she really has the experience or background necessary. She was First Lady, obviously, but I mean she hasn't really worked as a politician at any lower level. Even Hillary Clinton racked up a few years as a senator before taking a swing at the big job.

Yes, Trump himself shows that prior office isn't really a necessity to be electable, but I'm not sure his example is one to follow.

Having said all of that, Americans seem to care more about charisma than anything else, so I couldn't discount the possibility. It would make the American right-wing go absolutely nuts, for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This isn't really following his example. He's a racist, a liar, a crook, a conman, a fascist, a Nazi and plenty of other things. The qualification argument doesn't exist when tens of millions of Americans want him as their godking.

Sanity is the only qualification I think we can realistically hope for. The fact that she's younger than 70 helps as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

I mean turning the US presidency into a succession of people elected almost entirely on their charisma as opposed to being serious political thinkers and statespeople. Intellectually, I think it's a race to the bottom, even the ones on the Democratic side are quite positive people. Charisma is a great quality for a leader, but having proper experience needs to be in there as well.

I don't disagree. I'm just anticipating the bad faith arguments from the MAGA brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

While I appreciate Obama as an eloquent speaker and seemingly good person, I was massively disappointed in him as a President. He wasted 2 years of a Democratic majority, and allowed the Republicans to railroad him at a time when he could have pushed for genuinely transformative policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The big question is "what's going on with the alt right", but we kind of already know what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Trump a Nazi?

I don't really like that guy but come on, at least speak some truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It would be nice to have a normal person in the running but I don't think she has ever indicated that she wants to be a politician, let alone run for president? She seems happy enough with her life right now, imo she'd be mad to take that on.

Why would she attach herself to a guaranteed losing ticket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You may underestimate the GOP's ability to find someone capable of losing. Purely theoretical at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So Barack is looking for a 4th term then is he?

It's more sad that America has been reduced to a choice of two massively polarising options (Biden and Trump) or a bunch of also-rans for the most important and high profile job in their Government.

No matter who wins, America loses really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Listening to an interesting pod. They could possibly go down the actor route again with Denzel Wahington, tom hanks and meryl streep suggested.

I can see the point. The POTUS doesnt really run the country anymore. Its merely a figure head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Lol wasn't it going around on Twitter a while ago that Dwayne Johnson was in talks with the democrats? At least he'd be able to defend the white house if needs be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Trump would have a complete meltdown if this happened. Imagine having to run against a woman again and a coloured woman to boot, he'd surely lose the plot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can Biden's current VP not run?

A female President would be nice

I like Michelle but I don't think she has interest

No Oprah or The Rock running 😄

His last (significant) opponent for the Republican nomination is a woman of colour. He isn't taking it particularly well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Firstly, there's no indication that she intends to run at all so I don't really see it happening any time soon. Secondly, she's her own person, outside of Clinton there's been pretty credible first ladies that could have run for president, Eleanor Roosevelt being the most significant and born in a different time I could have seen her running. Politically speaking, Biden is pretty middle ground rather than polarising btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TLDR nothing, the right is just having a bad week so they rile the base with crap

As regards VP Harris, she might chose to run in 2028. It's difficult to phrase it without sounding particularly mean but will try. She isn't very popular at all, her approval ratings are consistently lower than most of the rivals for the job. Additionally her staff turnover is very high. Reasons given are pessimistic outlook of her future prospects and feelings that she is given the more unpopular assignments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

This is also a particularly stupid as theories go given the fact that the primaries have already kicked off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I don’t think she would have the same baggage, and make the same mistakes Hilary did. Also, there is a good chance that if the FBI hadn’t opened an investigation into Hilary just before the 2016 election, Trump would not have won.

It really astonishes me that Biden and Trump are their parties candidates, says a lot about the dire state of American politics that there isn’t younger, more capable front runners in both parties.

You get to skip the primaries and go straight to the smoke filled rooms at the conventions. Conspiracy theories for the shorter attention spans of the contemporary populace.

• Advertisement

Find it astonishing myself that in a nation of that size, that it is a strong possibility of a re-run of 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't know what happened Kamala Harris in office.

I can only assume that Biden has kept her in the background in fear of her running against him this time.

She has been completely invisible.

Had she had a good vice presidency, she would have been the obvious choice I'd have thought.

As it stands, they have handed the gig to the Donald.

Would a VP run against an incumbent President?

Failure to live up to hype, way too many politicians become avatars for every hope, dream and delusion that they can't possibly live up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think Michelle Obama would make a great president.

Very dissapointed in Kamala Harris. You barely see or hear anything from her these days.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• I think there was at one stage a theory Kamala would run in the second term as Biden is clearly not very capable.

It’s interesting to see him on one hand excuse his keeping of top secret documents as he is “an old man with memory problems” while simultaneously being the front runner for the democrats.

They are sort of just betting on the country having enough sense not to elect Trump, but then that said, look at the results of primaries despite his history and also the court cases he’s currently dealing with.

One of which has found him liable to pay millions to someone he is accused of raping.

America is currently considering electing for a second term either a president who has been convicted in a civil court of rape or one who is by their own admission an elderly man with a bad memory.

You could not make this up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Real pity Taylor Swift isn't 35 until Dec 13th. Her name would really wind them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭JVince

I'm hoping M Obama goes for it. Biden just a little past his BB date as is Trump.

A good running mate and Taylor swift giving her support and it's a near certainty.

My €20 bet at 40/1 last September has nothing to do with the above made up scenario 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

At most one terms left? Not sure if you referring to his age or simply stating the obvious

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does america need more political dynasties? in recent history we've seen two bushes and nearly two clintons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Michelle has a higher ability than Barack. She is also more liberal. That's why people are disappointed with Barack, he wasn't radical in his thinking. Don't think there's a hope she'll go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Fortunately, we are living through one of the calmer periods in history. Things are not too turbulent on the world stage, so the stakes with the choice of POTUS are not that high!

What were you expecting?

Kamala Harris was a nothing candidate before becoming VP.

She has carried out her vice-presidency exactly as she carried out her time as senator...entirely uninteresting and forgettable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

She is an administrator, not a leader.

She could however end up the POTUS easily through sheer happenstance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

She us similar to Haley she has no base bar donor's.

Biden could have picked Whitmer as VP who he could have passed the baton to, or ideally Warren who was heavily linked to the VP slot but I suppose she was way to lefty for the Dem donor's.

They need someone who can go in and absolutely floor Trump. They never put anyone forward like that.

A stand up comedian type personality would absolutely destroy him in 5 minutes.

Biden may have been a good candidate 25 years ago but he is simply far too old. There are some very energetic and sprightly 81+ year olds. He isn’t one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Yeah, the constant shock and outrage doesn’t work. Trump is so thin skinned all they need is someone to keep poking him.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I reckon the Democrats don't wanna waste a good candidate's potential 8 years in office by dragging them through the dirt with Trump.

Hope for the best with Joey while preparing for 2028.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

If Joe does win the chances of him lasting full term is low. The choice of vice president is critical and there is a good chance they will end up as president. At the same time they cannot choose someone who will completely overshadow Biden during the campaign as that will damage him. Michelle might be seen as 'too good'. They need to pick someone good but low key.

• Advertisement
Advertisement