Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For better or worse most clubs/companies choose not to publicly recognise reported gossip - presumably because if you do it one time, then you have to do it every time, or else you’re effectively confirming something with silence in the future. So ignoring it and keeping doing their business probably makes the most sense.

Like we literally know that what you want them to publicly say is the case - we know they’re currently in the process of speaking to candidates, and will announce something when there’s something to announce. Recognising any specific gossip only opens a can of worms that doesn’t need to be opened.

You can’t stop lads on the internet from having knee jerk reactions to all sorts of gossip, so it’s probably best that they just accept that reality and carry on with the actual work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I think you're clutching at straws. It's definitely strange for negotiations with an international manager to go on this long. The FAI had said at the outset that they were aiming to have a manager appointed for the NL draw which will now pass without a manager.

The idea that they've been negotiating with Carsley for weeks without agreement is fanciful.

Once they choose Carsley and offer him the job and tell him the terms it's a simple yes or no.

The terms of the job are pretty much the terms. The FAI aren't going to magic up more money and they've been clear they want the new man to have a base in Ireland and be involved in the youth teams.

Carsley may have ideas or requests around things like his backroom team or his level of involvement in various things but there should be an acknowledgement that both sides want to do the deal.

The simple answer seems to be Carsley isn't interested in the job.

Yeah, like it's obviously not gone according to plan. But it seems odd that we would believe the first batch of leaks, but then don't believe the new batch of leaks that they're still in communication and it isn't dead. If it was simply dead, the leaks would be that it was dead. That place is an absolute sieve after all.

I'm not clutching at anything, I've no faith at all in the FAI - I'm just applying a bit of common sense to the swathe of leaks which would suggest there's some possibility of closing the gap on whatever it is they're talking about. I've no doubt the FAI are making a bit of a hames of it, but equally i've no doubt that the headlines have been hyperbolic, leaping to finalities and dramatic statements, as that's what always happens.

(the latest leaks incidentally are that the initial wage offer was a low-ball, but has since been improved, with negotiations ongoing over whether there's a 2026 break clause, and how it would work, and also how the resources for a backroom staff will play out)

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The reports around Carsley turning the FAI down are more than just the usual gossip. You said it yourself some “spanner” in the FAI is leaking out stories.

yeah, and then the very next set of leaks were that they’re still in discussions - and even the topics they’re in discussions about. Which suggests that he likely just turned down the first offer, and they’re now doing a bit of negotiating. Which is normal enough.

Like, it’s a normal enough process (if slow, because the FAI are bad at things and shuffling scant resources), just made more dramatic by each micro step of the process being leaked/reported as having bigger significance than it actually has. I just don’t think a back-and-forth is anything to get too riled up about.

In reality we’re not in a mega rush, so if it looks like a compromise in terms can be reached to get the first choice guy, there’s no problem pursuing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Someone is just upset that they didn't rush out and give the job to Neil Lennon is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

From listening to Dan McDonnell (I think it was anywya) on OTB a couple of weeks ago he said when the rumours leaked that Carsley had accepted the job he was at an event hosted by the FA and had to deny he accepted it which led to the rumours he turned it down. Sounds like him talking to the FAI was taken by the media as him accepting the role and when it says he hasn't accepted the role yet, it turns into he's turned them down.

While I think its taking longer than expected I'm sure he's looking for assurances and maybe even trying to sort a backroom team before anything is agreed and announced.

Not half as upset as a certain someone if they did give the job to Neil Lennon😁

Yeah cause who'd want this representing their country.

Adam Idah starting for Celtic tonight v Hibernian in place of the dropped Kyogo

• Advertisement

Yes, you’ve been banging that drum for a while now. It’s a tabloid newspaper story there was never any charges or court case. If Neil Lennon is to get the job or not I don’t think an uncorroborated story from a tabloid should have anything to do with it.

Goal for Idah from the penalty spot

2 penalties from Adam. There was huge pressure on that second one. Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Saw he scored twice tonight. Thought leaving the championship to go play in the SPL was a bit of a step down for him but maybe could be good for his confidence....he should score a bagful in that league

Hopefully he will but other than the penalties he missed chances that came his way. He did really well to score those penalties. If he can become a first pick striker for Celtic that’s definitely a big step forward in his career.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hopefully getting 2 early in his Celtic run gives him a bit of confidence now where he can score the more difficult opportunities. Be nice for him to get a good run of games

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You say this with such certainty. We have no idea what happened

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭TokTik

He missed a sitter from less than a yard, and apart from the penos, looked like he’d won a competition to be on the pitch. I think a lot of people are vastly over rating Idahs level. It’ll be a few more steps down from SPFL until he’s found it.

I was going by the reports on RTE and Sky, if it turns out that those reports were misleading then I guess we’ll wait and see what transpires with Carsley and if he’s still in the running for the Ireland job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think the only thing that clear at this stage is that the FAI don’t want Lennon - he has been interviewed and has been pretty clear about wanting the job. If they considered him viable at all he’d probably have it by now.

Obviously they still feel they can get Carsley, and we don’t have a competitive game for a fair while, so they probably feel they have time to iron out any issues.

• Advertisement

And then (as per the whole conversation we had just a few days ago) the continued reports and leaks made it clear that they'd just not agreed to first terms, and were in negotiations with an improved salary, discussions on how any break clause would work, and talks on backroom team. All pretty normal and exactly what you'd expect of any negotiations. 🤷‍♂️

They'll find agreement, or they won't, but so far there's not really been anything in the process to be too surprised or annoyed by (aside from the leaks themselves which make everything needlessly and falsely dramatic, and really need to be sorted out).

Two weeks ago he went public with his interest in the Ireland job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,992 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's because he has been ruled out early doors so he's trying to change the rhetoric that he has no interest in management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

England, Finland and Greece for the next round of Nations League

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Tough group. England will make a show of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Not going to make getting a new manager any easier. Probably the worst draw we could get in regards 1st and 4th seeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Avoiding relegation the only realistic target

Relegation playoff 2025 here we come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

We'll do well to make the relegation playoff. Would need to come third for that. Straight relegation for 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

That’s as tough as the nations league could get for us! Avoiding relegation would be a good start for the new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,045 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ohh bollocks

Great for the FAI and Dublin though, for the England game tickets will be like gold and Temple Bar a war zone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭TokTik

That’s us bottom of the Nations League no matter who we get in as manager.

England

Finland

Greece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

Well im glad i did keep the season tickets now young lad jumping round excited and im like oh jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I find this very odd.

Are the FAI apologizing to fans because someone suggested that some Irish fans at the Netherlands game were off their heads ?

Is it some attempt to "cancel" anything that would paint some Irish fans in a bad light?

I've been to plenty of away games over the years and have seen my fair share of Irish fans act the bollix due to drink etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Wowsers. Can we finish a group with zero points for the first time?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

England will pummel us twice. Greece a tricky draw but their hardly world beaters, every team in that pot was a potential banana skin maybe Kazakhstan aside. But am I missing something with Finland? Their squad doesn't look great and they've lost to Slovenia, Kazakhstan, Denmark in qualifying while narrowly scraping by San Marino and Kazakhstan in the other game. We should be aiming to finish ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Finland beat us twice in Nations League 2020. 1-0 both games. They'll be delighted to have drawn us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It’s because some fans who arrived in good time before kick off couldn’t get in and situation got messy.

I’ve no doubt that some dopes turned up a minute before kickoff in a state because I’ve seen some lads make an absolute mess of themselves on aways but it wasn’t the only reason.

I wasn’t there myself but know plenty who were. The truth is probably a mixture of poor organisation and shitheads but it’s easier for the home organisation just to shift all the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭budgemook

Am I the only one delighted with the nations league draw? Games against England come few and far between and I fully expect us to up our game for that one - a once in a career game for many of our players. Greece beat us well in the qualifiers so it's nice to get a chance at rectifying that. I am pretty sure most people on here said they beat us so easily due to tactics employed / in game management so let's hope our new manager is more astute in that regard! I'm raging that I let me season ticket go now (it wasn't down to Kenny or the team, just personal circumstance).

I was thinking similar a few months ago all.the comments said wed no buisness losing to greece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

Kenny was sacked because he couldn't best teams like Greece. The same standard needs to be held for the new manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Don’t be so sure. Did you see Englands last Nations League results. Played 6 Won 0. Ireland will be up for it, could easily nick a point or 3

That was in the top division though, they'll find life a bit easier in the second division. They also got some stick for not taking the NL seriously, so I'd say they'll be out to go straight back up to the top tier immediately. We should still look to give them a game, in the same way the Scots do, though I wouldn't fancy us actually getting anything out of it. The other games are where we should be looking for points more reasonably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I was there and it was a **** mess.

No signage for the away end,walking around the back of the stadium in near darkness and only 4 turnstiles to get in.

At one stage it looked like the staff just stopped admitting anyone because there was no movement at all.

At the ground 25 mines before KO and still missed plenty of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,992 ✭✭✭billyhead

If Carsley gets the job at least he will have the lowdown on some of England's young guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kenny was sacked because he had us knocked out of consecutive qualifying campaigns after 2 games both times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

England will thrash us, particularly in Wembley. We haven't one player that would even make their squad never mind taking points off them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was stuck outside until 15 mins into the game after arriving 30 mins before kick off. Didn't see anyone overly intoxicated outside or anyone causing hassle. The issue was solely with the Dutch and the slowness at which they were allowing people in. I have never seen it like that at any other away match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Brings back memories of of the 2002WC 2-2 qualifier there in autumn 2000. Unsure what time to head off from the centre of town we moved along with the bulk of the Netherlands fans, arriving at the gates about 40 minutes before kick-off. Got in as the Robbie Keane was celebrating the opening goal which the internet suggests was 22nd minute. Seems like nothing much has improved in 20 years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement