Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,531 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ok, it’s official…Gåte may have just become my favourite band ever.

🙂

Good evening, Spain! Let me take your coat. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭corkie

That looked like an advert for a fashion brand or perfume?

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/spanish-english/zorra

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Can't post Spain without posting that live performance 😂

I kinda enjoy it in an amateur kind of way, but I highly doubt it's getting out of the bottom 5.

Malta

It's a well enough produced song, but it lacks a big moment or hook to draw people in. A borderline qualifier for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭squonk

Great song. Love how the intensity builds. Her voice is a bit off but they could work on that. I can see them doing pretty well. Not winning obviously, but at least getting into the final and performing well there.

The big standout for me is the production for a potential Eurovision song. It looks fantastic, and if all of the songs got the same attention to detail, it really says a lot. Makes RTEs effort look like the equivalent of a play in the village hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Said it here a few times already and was the case on the night of Eurosong. They need to be doing that show in the likes of the O2 with capacity audience and have the sound and stage up at top knotch. It would have been interesting then to see the 6 acts performing from the get go in that environment. All the tracks would have sounded far far bigger, like a proper decent huge gig sound instead of a crappy LLS studio not built for proper sound.

Would bambie thug have won in that environment vs the other 5 tracks with equily better sound and staging all around? I think so, Bambie still ahead on look and has vision, also no stranger to live gigging .. that matters, big time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bambie was definitely the right winner of Eurosong. Go Tobann - Ailsha may well have qualified in Malmo but I think would have struggled in the final, whereas Doomsday Blue almost certainly has greater appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

Ukraine have chosen.

This is a serious contender for the win again.

Post edited by Libertine07 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's decent enough, but the rapping part drags it down IMO - that's actually a mediocre section of the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

Agree on the Gate song, it's tremendous- stiff competition for Bambie! The Norway losing act Keiino, that there seems to be a lot of love for, is terrible, bordering on novelty song for me. Correct choice Norway!

It’s ok. I think it peaks before the rap. That kind of kills the energy. It’s a good song but never really nails it home for me. Btw the intro reminds me of Small Town Boy by Bronski Beat.

most notable however, is that a country in a warzone has done a much better job at staging. It’s EV selection show than RTÉ

Ukraine very much a contender to win with that song again. They came 4th in the televote with a terrible song last year, Teresa and Maria is much stronger so could win it. It'll enjoy plenty of jury support too, so it'll probably need a very strong song to stop win #4.

I do really like the song though, and it's by far my favourite so far. In normal circumstances it'd absolutely be a top five contender anyway.

BTW @Libertine07 would you mind putting Ukraine in bold font in your post above? It's what I always do when a country has selected their song, makes it easier to differentiate between other videos posted on the thread? Thanks! 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭supereurope

Ukraine had to stage its 2023 national final (held in Dec 2022) in an underground bunker, and it still organised a better national final than Ireland.

From NETHERLANDS .. you will need to translate via google translate in browser or similar:

The first ten songs that can be heard in the Eurovision Song Contest in May have been announced. As a result, for Joost Klein, who is competing on behalf of the Netherlands in Malmö, its slowly becoming clear what the competition will look like. For the time being, he has to fear for the victory mainly by a remarkable act from Ireland and a Ukrainian women's duo.

https://www.ad.nl/songfestival/eerste-concurrentie-joost-klein-op-songfestival-dient-zich-aan-horrorpop-uit-ierland-en-wederom-oekraine~a5bfb9a0/

The UKRAINE track doesnt do much for me tbh. Very sameeee in comparison to the kalush orchestra track that won in 2022. It does not have the energy that Bambie / Doomsday Blue has. There is nothing like this track in Eurovision 24 so far

Israel have just announced their representative, Eden Golan who won their ‘Hakokhav Baba’ contest.

(nervous sweat)

That Ukrainian song is absolute muck.

Probably could have made something of it but what the f*ck is with the rap? Like putting wheels on a washing machine.

Totally out of place and she cannot rap a lick.

Just heard a clip of Olly’s entry for the UK this year. Full song is out in March but it’s nothing to write home about really. Seems very forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah it's.. fine? Maybe I should wait for the whole thing before making decision. But very much what I would expect, not far from sweet talker that he did with galantis.

Re Olly’s entry for the UK this year .. one word ..

MEH

• Advertisement

Irelands odds have dropped to 17/1 but still 6th for the win as Iceland and UK are on par in 4th place at 11/1.

UK after Ollys sneak preview has dropped from I think 2nd or 3rd place to 4th at 11/1 on par with Iceland.

This on Paddy Power:

Eurovision Odds & Betting | Special Bets » Paddy Power™

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

Also, the melody line at the end of that snippet makes zero musical sense. Maybe in context it'll work, but it just sounds wrong.

Think we'll need more than a 20 second clip to properly judge Olly's song though!

I'm looking forward to what's to come from Melodifestivalen, particularly Marcus & Martinus. I wonder will Sweden make an all-out effort to get the record 8th win, particularly because it's on home soil.

According to Scott Mills yesterday the song has gone through a few iterations as he mentioned different versions. Maybe what we’re hearing nite is only the part they are 100% happy with. There may yet revamp it again. Who knows.

Pity though as the UK have entered since reasonably decent stuff over the years but been unjustly punished at times being no votes even or finishing well down the board. It’ll be interesting to hear how this goes because, to my mind, it’s not at all memorable based on what I’ve heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,860 ✭✭✭✭zell12

😃..

“Be who you are, but you don't have to make a song and dance about it. Speaking of song and dance the poor divil Bambie Thug who we're sending over she can neither sing nor she can dance so we're finished from word go. Patrick next year, you and I are writing a song and we're going to Europe. “So I'm afraid my friends, I won't be booking any ticket to Malmo in Sweden this year. And whatever Bambie votes she gets. I wish her well,” he added.

Fr Ted eurosong 2025?

He has no problem with who Bambie Thug is, so I suppose that's why he launched into such a long winded rant about her 😵‍💫

Of all the topics a priest could pick to talk about in mass, he comes out with that nonsense 🙄

Had to stop reading once he got to the sexual education program. Just seems like a massive meandering rant by someone not up to speed with todays world.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Whatever about the priest calling her a “poor divil” in his sermon - The Bambi fans need to realise there’s a hell of a lot of opposition and dislike towards her effort, within Ireland.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement