Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary school enrolment “crisis”

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If had approval in principle it should be gone to planning.

Has the BOM sought planning permission? because if not it won't be started this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

They do have planning alright, and I think they have approval to go to a new site temporarily. I think they do expect it will get going after the current school year, but it's not for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,072 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If that were true then the demographic "mini baby boom" would not be a factor, as this growth year is far less than 5000 different to last

So if they have approval from the department, planning permission for a new and permission for a temporary school.

They would have long since tendered.

The issue has nothing to with "the State".

The figures are from the Department of Education. If you have alternative ones, by all means.

But the reality is our schools are under subscribed, I know of 2 in the last 2 years that had to close and amalgamate due to lack of numbers.

The hope particularly in rural schools is the Ukrainians in the short term will keep them open, and the trend of working from home will give couples more options to buy or build rurally. That will be mid-term, because by the time they start a family, etc.

A rural school closing that may have been there in excess of 100 years is horrific and is beyond damaging for the area.

Schools in certain areas are certainly feeling pressure, but this is little to do with immigrants and all to do with myopic and incompetent county councils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There's another agency they have to get the green light from, they'll know in a few weeks if work can begin this year. It is of course to do with the State, it's an agency of the State he's waiting to hear from, the funding is from the State. No need to get cross Boggles, you'll make a silly goose of yourself getting angry with strangers on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Actually immigrants are contributing to the problem simply by being here.

All the kids affected aren't natives from procreative Irish by a long shot.

The immigrants often got screwed over more than natives because they have no older siblings already in the schools which helps get the younger kids in.

BTW by immigrants here I mean primarily people that came here legally and to work who either brought young families or started young families whilst here.

But the thing is they didn't all turn up with 12 years old looking for secondary school places, they had kids in school for years in primary schools in the area.

So the numbers were known with years, yet no one got off their holes and used a bit of joined up thinking.

The other noticable thing is when you talk to Americans, Europeans whose kids are affected they all wonder how a state allows hundreds if not thousands of new houses into an area, but they never think they might need additional school places.

They are usually totaly baffled by this form of lack of planning.

Post edited by jmayo on

I am not allowed discuss …

There's another agency they have to get the green light from

FBI?

Ah would ya ever clear off with that line of argument.

No one bar the totally barmy have argued against working visa holding professional and skilled immigrants.

I know it is convenient for people of a certain open borders viewpoint to try make it, so to cover up for the total shortcomings of the other type of immigrants that arrive with no profession, no skills, feck all education to be placed in a hotel, go on social welfare, get a medical card and eventually be given their own home for life.

So stop the bullshyte.

Post edited by jmayo on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

It's not only non Irish that are baffled. Try living overseas in a functional country that plans stuff and then moving back with your family. It's very very difficult. We gave up because nothing was working every service was suboptimal or frankly **** . This school place thing has been a huge issue for years it's just getting even worse now.

In other countries they have a county or city register but no in Ireland the schools have to be applied one by one and duplicatively. Principals often get final words and they are still asking for baptism certs. What a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

If you took every child of an immigrant, asylum seeker or refugee out to the Blasket islands, this problem would still exist. It’s got very little to do with immigration etc. It’s just bad, bad planning. Huge, badly needed, housing projects in certain areas, especially the counties surrounding Dublin. No secondary schools being built in a timely fashion to cater for the teens coming on board. Blame who you want, but, ultimately political blame has to land at the door of the Minister for Education, whose job is to ensure this doesn’t happen.

Look we simply do not, and for the most part probably haven't ever, done proper long term planning in this state.

I remember Tallaght being built for years without a proper shopping centre and without infrastructure.

Look at our Luas, two lines that didn't even connect until they were years later linked.

M50 just as finish section from Firhouse to Sandyford (or was it Cherrywood), they start digging it up to add another lane.

They could have somehow renogiated contracts to add new extra lane as new sections were being initially built.

West link toll bridge not fit for purpose for years.

And don't get us started on the most expensive hospital in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

Given the fact that it is only unvetted men of army going age that are sent to live it rural communities they can't be the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Unless the doctor or teacher is coming here to demand a council house, and not actually intend to work as a doctor or teacher, I really can't see what would put them off.

The "our health service would collapse without migrants" must be the most ignorant argument out there, given it is only absolute headers who would argue we should stop ALL immigration, particularly in sectors where we badly need it.

You can tell the people who don't know any immigrants by the way they think most immigrants here think we should have fully open borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's not really anything at all to do with County Councils. County Councils can often identify the land for schools in development plans 10 or 15 years before the dept of education actually moves in to build. It's the Dept of Educations bad planning that is where the main responsibility lies.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

In terms of school place numbers Bray isn't too bad to be fair. You have 5 secondary schools plus a lot of students travelling to schools in Dublin.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The Department of Education paid €1.2m for a site for a school near Malahide, Co Dublin, on the advice of Fingal County Council — who have now refused to give it planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

So in a nutshell, the council advised them to buy a site for a school and then refused them planning for it?! What a farce.

I had a similar situation. I have a vacant holiday home that the council contacted me to house a refugee family. So I applied for planning to change its use from short term let. And the council refused it!

It's slightly worse than that.

Fingal County Council is believed to have received more than €125,000 in fees for its work on the project.

The decision — which was signed by the Senior Executive Planner and the Director of Services — said planning was refused because it contravened access, parking and cycling “connectivity” and the provision of the school was not in keeping with the area’s zoning as “green belt”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,072 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Sounds like someone in the council going on a solo run and not consulting planners when loading with dept of Ed.

Planners are right to refuse - blame here lies with whoever negotiated on councils behalf in the first place.

• Advertisement

The forward planning section of the department engage directly with the planning departments in the County Councils. This goes on for years.

The code of practice dictates that before the Department buy the site there is of pre-planning with the planning authority.

Basically the county council does all the work, because that is their remit, then once all the conditions are met the land is purchased.

This incurs work by the planning authority so they get paid, in this instance €125,000.

It was designed this way to avoid tom fúckery, but when there is no consequences, it's just oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lainers99

I think the main problem is parents accepting offers for multiple schools and holding places until the last minute. Lots of students just won’t show up to a school in September because they are enrolled elsewhere. I don’t think charging deposits will fix that either. I know someone that has paid 500 for one school and 650 in another (both private) and have also accepted a third place in a non-fee paying school. They said they will decide over the summer.

My daughters school was oversubscribed last year and there were last minute places end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Immigrants aren't at fault for anything they're just availing of what's offered to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

"every major TD is planning their Paddy’s day trips and we’ve got first years who can’t get a place in school."

if that's the case, then there should be a law where they have to take the kids with them on their holiday.

For each kid that still has'nt been found a spot in secondary school = an kid the TD has to bring with them on holiday, and pay for everything for the kid including the flight and everything all inclusive. Now, how about THAT for a policy? This makes it the TD's problem to get off their arse and do something about it or else their paddys day gets ruined by kids lol.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Advertisement