Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karen's Diner

• 08-02-2024 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Karen's Diner has opened in Dublin.

It's basically an Australian-American American Diner where the services is terrible.

They can throw the menus at you, call you names, swear at you and give general bad service.

Now, I've only seen this on social media but it's a trend in the past few years.

Have any of you guys been and how was it?

For those who haven't what do you think?

Personaly I couldn't see myself visiting because I rarely eat out and when I do I'd like to have more choice on the menu.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

Really dont get the point of deliberately paying to be treated badly. Perhaps the costumers then head home for a bit of whipping and the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

sounds a bit like eating in my house when herself is in a mood...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Allinall

Much better would be a diner where only Karens get served.

Keep them all in the one place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Been in worse places tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Didn't this go pear shaped abroad when a waiter made a pedo joke about a father/daughter 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Don't see the appeal personally but whatever people are into. Its up to them how spend their money.

I did see an entertaining video with highlights of the service that ended with the customer paying the bill with 1c coins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Still no hooters. It’s a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

oh god my kids are mad to go to this place. I very much do NOT want to pay to be abused by waiting staff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Thing the novelty may wear off ,I suppose if the food was any good it would help but I won't be surprised if it dissappears in time .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I imagine it'll be like that 90s pub or those places where you smash stuff with hammers, go once, enjoy, never think of it again until someone mentions it, repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's popular for them to bring their older grandparents who've no idea what the place is about and filming their reaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Sounds like normal irish service. I presume the servers are tato aggressively ask "Are ya OK".

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Sounds like good craic to me. I want to bring my mother in-law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Northernsoul

Saw the place today, on O’Connell Street

I saw a video of a girl going to one of these places.

She turned the tables nicely when she paid the bill with pennies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It isn't a something new or just a recent trend. Quite a few of similar places in the USA for at least 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭JVince

and it went viral and thousands of people commented.

Karen's diner could not have wished for better publicity as it was right up their alley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Unless the food is at to die for levels, I couldn’t see this lasting.

Im assuming the staff are all just normal restaurant staff? Good luck with that so- and on O’Connell st? Yeah that’s really going to work 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's just a gimmick that would mostly attract people who want to film the staff being rude to them, then put it on instagram/tiktok etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Dont know about the diner but I kind of feel sorry for people actually called Karen - wtf did they do to deserve this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Not when you speak French. The tourists are often rude without knowing it by simply not greeting the waiters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That's not really turning the tables, though, is it? The whole thing is an interactive theatric performance that people willingly partake in. It's not like the diner is going to go "Oh, we better stop being rude because someone paid us in tiny coins! That taught us!", no more than Frankie Boyle would be somehow put in his place for taking the piss out of an audience member if they paid for their ticket in pennies.

Plus, carrying that amount of copper coins around just to pay your bill would be much more hassle than it's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ah no, Paris can be on another level. My wife speaks fluent French and used to live in France in a couple of different places, but not Paris.

We went over to Paris a few years ago, and at one of the ticket offices of the Eiffel Tower, she queried (in perfect French) something about the charge. The staff member went ballistic, roaring, shouting and gesticulating, then just closed the kiosk shutter, leaving a long line of bewildered tourists standing behind us. We all had to go and join the ends of various other queues while the staff member sulked inside their locked kiosk.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

I sorted the reviews for the place an Dublin and there are a couple of visitors that weren't expecting that treatment 😀

repeat? so do you go more than once or do you go once twice? what way does this work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You go, enjoy it, never think to yourself "I should come back", 6 months later someone books it for a work/birthday party, you think "I enjoyed that, should be fun", so.......

You go, enjoy it, never think to yourself "I should come back", 6 months later someone books it for a work/birthday party, you think "I enjoyed that, should be fun", so.......

Advertisement