Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think this will be one of those stilted underperformances where nobody is really up for it and lots if questions get asked about players following an 11 point win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Downlinz

We've put 50+ points on Italy at home in Six Nations on the last four occasions, 40+ points the two times before that. Italy conceded 96 just a few months ago against New Zealand.

I've no idea where the belief some have in Italy being competitive and giving us a close game comes from but I certainly hope it's true because this fixture (especially at home) has become boring and predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

He had a couple of outings in NZ that might have been described the same way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We haven't had many of those in the last few years though. Closest would be Italy last year I guess, but that was away and ended up being a reasonably convincing win in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Looks like Larmour & Harry Byrne in the side this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

On the bench or starting? Would be mad to not give Crowley and Nash a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

On the bench according to Gerry Thornley’s prediction;

Ireland v Italy (possible): Keenan; Nash, Henshaw, McCloskey, Lowe; Crowley, Murray; Porter, Sheehan, Bealham, McCarthy, Ryan, Baird, Doris, Conan. 

Replacements: Kelleher, Healy/Loughman, O’Toole, Henderson/Beirne, van der Flier, Casey/Gibson-Park, H Byrne, Larmour.

GT suggests that any player with a slight knock will be rested (specifically Furlong, POM, JGP and Aki, with Beirne’s minutes being managed).

With Ryan and Doris both tipped to start it’ll be interesting to see who would be the captain. I believe Doris took on the role at the end of Friday’s match when both were on the pitch together.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There are far more changes in that side than I expected. Might be the biggest shift in squad selection Farrell has ever made from one game to the next.

If it's to keep players fresh and to heal up niggles it's completely understandable. Would worry that it's an unfamiliar side that might get coughs on the hop a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Way too many changes, don't like considering we have 12 day break. Will get an edgey bonus point win( I suppose 5 points is all that matters) but this 6 nations is not about chop and change just win gs.

37 - 21 ireland

Post edited by SaoPaulo41 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Murray, good lord.

Otherwise, very strong team, I like it. Beirne is obviously one of the first names on the team sheet, but for this game as he's played so much this season, would like to see Henderson in. He probably won't feature otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Will actually be in Rome this weekend with family. Anyone know decent family friendly venue to watch the game with kids. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

On that possible team would prefer Crowley to play again with JGP & Aki if possible. But understand if players rested due to knocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

You're best bet is probably try an Irish Pub, not sure how family friendly they are but you might get the commentary in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

There's one called Scholars that has rugby on. Give them a buzz I'd say, I watched a Munster match in there before. Think they do food, it's your typical enough Irish pub abroad, nice staff

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The last few times we've played England have been like this for most of the game. Their obsession with getting a red card might be a contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Think the proposed team shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. A couple more changes than anticipated due to knocks but it's very much in line with previous years when Ireland have made 5-7 changes for this fixture. Those who weren't in attendance at training aren't predicted to start with the exception of Bealham who was absent due to the birth of his child.

Somewhat unexepected about the two changes in the backline and I'd imagine that's just as much about giving some rest to guys as it is knocks as Aki and JGP appeared to be fully involved in training on Tuesday.

I wouldn't be concerned about Italy, particularly. Not quite sure where this idea that they'll put it up to us is coming from. If they do, it will be against expectations. They're without two of their most influential forwards and their depth is much less than ours. Yes, they pushed England last week but in that middle third of the game, England blew them away and absolutely dominated possession and the scoreboard. Ireland should have far more cohesion in attack.

If Ireland can get their defence right and not concede sloppy scores (which isn't a guarantee if they're relaxed) then I'd expect a 30+ point win.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if the team thats announced is as Thornley suggests, then anyone complaining of a lack of changes or "new faces" will be shown to be simple contrarians who do not have much clue about the requirements for test rugby. I still expect some of the usual suspects to be complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I think the murray ahead of casey pick would be the one headscratcher

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Casey isnt trusted.

• Advertisement

Well I know what that tells me about caseys game at the moment (if it happens) and I'm not going to be the one to question the Irish coaches who are seeing exactly what's happening in training.

If Murray got 50 and Casey got 30 against a tired and broken defense id be happy enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Could just be that they want some experience in the 9/10 axis. Two very important roles in how Ireland play, perhaps they want someone that knows what it's like for things to go wrong and how to get it back on track.

Don't think Murray will be doing the full 80 anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Murray, good lord.

Murray is trusted.

Casey isn't trusted.

No Casey, good lord.

I'm perfectly fine with the team but there aren't any new faces at all really, everyone is an experienced international. In fact there's one very old face who shouldn't be in the extended panel nevermind starting a 6N game.

Given how awful Murray has been at times this season and the glacial pace at which he plays rugby now, is it really?

Do you think Andy Farrell would have any player in his squad that he "doesn't trust"?

Very simple question

People were saying the same this time last season, and Murray went on to play more than JGP in our Grand Slam win. And play very well.

everyone is an experienced international.

Really? Nash, Crowley and McCarthy have, what, 4 starts between them. Baird, a relative veteran by comparison has 5 starts.

• Advertisement

Agreed, in what reality is everyone one of those possibles an "experienced international"

Alongside the four you've named, Harry Byrne has zero test starts, tom o toole has two.

From a test point of view these are babies!

Advertisement