Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really safe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Are those aggressive young lads you see in Merrion Square coming from the flats in Pearse St or the south inner city?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 _my0pia_

Cabra is a fairly big area, the east end (Old Cabra) is gentrified for the most part, mainly between Faussagh & North Circular (Annamoe, the streets around the church etc’)

North of Faussagh still has a little bit to go but I wouldn’t necessarily call it shite really, I’ve friends living there and they’ve no issues whatsoever

Parts of Cabra West though are definitely still a bit iffy, but even that end is taking off in recent years due to the Broombridge luas and train

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

As I said "gentrified' definitely means different things to different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I honestly don't know. I've noticed them several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭yagan

I saw this link on reddit the other day and thought of this thread. It's based off eurostat data for reported robbery stats but it is interesting in that it clearly shows where Ireland's problem is, basically Dublin.

Obviously there's loads of caveats like the level of reporting etc.. but it is as good a visual as I've seen floating around and it certainly chimes with my feeling about how safe is Dublin.

I feel having lived in Dublin between the canals that there's probably a massive underreporting of crime where there isn't a good visible police presence, but in Spain where often the police presence is noticeable you're going to get far more reporting of theft and other crimes than you'd get in Dublin.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it seems to me dublin's pretty safe, nowhere near the top 10 places, people go on about it like it's the most dangerous place in europe though. i've never seen anyone being robbed or know anyone who has been robbed in dublin. i think you going on about underreporting is because you're upset dublin isn't showing as being worse on this map. of course people report crime to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭nachouser

0-15

15-30

Stopped there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Im from Ballyfermot originally. Croftwood to be precise. Live there til I was 15 and then moved to the North side of Dublin. You wouldnt believe the amount of people who live there still who say it was always and still is a lovely place too. Much like yourself an your total ignorance of Dublins issues.

I remember going to school at least 1 or 2 days a week with my eyes falling out of my head after being kept awake by fights and stolen cars and fires on the green. Lovely place.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

tell me this now and tell me no more...instead of arguing that Dublin isnt as bad as say Soweto,South Africa or Naples,Italy or San Salvador,El Salvador and sure tis all grand why not push to become one of the safest cities? while Dublin isnt the worst its not all that great either...ive lived all over Dublin since i came here in 1976 or 77,north,south east and west,worked on building sites all over the city,drove a taxi on nights from about 1988/89 until around 2000/01 and now in security,seen the best and the very worst it has to offer,robbed/mugged/thumped several times,had several motorbikes and cars robbed,had flats/houses broken into,so while id agree that can happen anywhere dont be telling people "ah sure Dublin is great,nothin ever happens"

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

From my years living in Dublin my conclusion was that it takes more than it gives. I've lived elsewhere in Ireland and in comparison your average medium sized town can offer a better quality of life than the capital. Even when I lived in the "nice" parts of Dublin I found just getting around through the congestion an absolute drain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

im form a quiet part of donegal and id agree with you,even just getting to work is a hassle,i know its part of the lifestyle of living in a big city but christ it could be so much better...thats why im retiring to a nice,quiet village in Italy in a couple of years,no hassles,hardly any traffic,definitly none of our track-suited fcukhead fraternity running about and with Polizia di Stato and Carabinieri who have always been friendly to me(been going there regularly for about 15yrs) they also have a "**** around and find out" attitude on a very regular patrol keeping the place quiet and fcukhead free...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

You're only speaking for yourself though, some of us like living here. The choice of things to do and mix of people in Dublin makes it more interesting than a mid sized irish town for me. I know people that grew up in rural Ireland and would never move back out of Dublin. Horses for courses etc.

Good if it works for you, but I found congestion worked against meeting up with people.

Interestingly my Dublin nieces and nephews except one have left for lifestyle reasons. Dublin was the place to go once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Dublin was really on the up until around 2018 or 19 and was a lovely place to be. Its been on a steep dive since.

it's busier than ever now, and yes congestion is part of living in a busy city unfortunately but it doesn't bother me as i commute by bike

I've lived in other cities in other countries that were bigger and yet getting around was a breeze in comparison.

It's like Dublin is a load of small towns connected and aside from the M50 there isn't really a transport big picture.

I remember meeting up with a friend at Dublin airport, I was taking the Dublin coach from Kilkenny and he was taking Dublin bus from Terenure and I still got there in quicker time! That's just nuts.

I was working city centre just before the pandemic and I thought the junky and scrote jamboree was terrible then. The pandemic just revealed what was already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This is why people are asking for Dublin to invest in itself. We need billions to build a metro instead of empty motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If caught slap on the wrist and run along yeh little scamps.

https://x.com/sjanemurf/status/1799508010252828788

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

That map kind of shows that you could drop Dublin into pretty much any other western european country and it would be one of the lowest crime areas in that country. Which matches my personal experience of having lived in a few cities abroad in the past, Dublin is totally fine.

I doubt there's any evidence that reporting of crime is systematically lower in Ireland than other countries and I'm not sure why you'd think that other than trying to reshape the actual statistics to fit your narrative. Again purely anecdotal, but since you compared with Spain, I personally know multiple people who've been robbed in Barcelona and was present when a friend I was with was robbed (a guy brazenly grabbed his stuff then jumped off the subway and ran as the door closed). I don't know as many people who've experienced crime in Dublin despite knowing far more people who spend far more time in that city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

This is my experience also.

Dublin's pretty safe although there's probably a bit more dodgy types in the city centre than most capital cities.

There's huge stretches of the city that have very little crime I'd imagine. Huge areas of the south side I think have very little crime for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm Dublin born and bred and work in the city centre.

The amount of wrong 'uns hanging around and selling drugs on the corner of Westmoreland Street and other places in plain sight is just...grim.

I've travelled widely and never seen the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

I can't be the only one who has noticed the explosion in very confrontational/aggressive beggars on O'Connell Street lately. It's always been bad but the street is littered with them now. I seen a very elderly woman recently with a beggar trying to lead her by the arm to somewhere recently. Only I asked them what they were doing when I sussed it was an attempted mugging I very loudly told them to Phuck off and leave her alone did they get the message.

The woman was like 85 and seemed terrified and confused and it's crap like that makes O'Connell Street turn my stomach.

It's suppose to be our nations main street and what is it? A heroin addicts trap house now where anything goes. It's shocking how far they have let the street slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Westmorland St was dodgy 30 years ago so not surprised at that.

What is somewhat refreshing in some of the posts above is those who live and work in Dublin in the main, are complaining about congestion but not complaining about crime.

I was probably anti-pedestrianisation of Dublin center city in the past but if could model ourselves on somewhere like Bordeaux it could work out very well.

What I don’t want to see happen is good shops closing because cars are banned- we need to support the shops that are there and make shopping in Dublin City center a pleasure not a pain.

I’d never dream of heading to Arnotts or Grafton st to shop outside of 9am arrival time on a Saturday morning - I get in, do what I have to /want to do, and leave by 12 at latest - that’s hastle free to me. But if the car routes into the city are disrupted and no clear easy alternative is there, I won’t do that journey.

I visit Dublin for work every few weeks- sometimes by public transport which is a pain but mostly by car- it’s in early and out early for me but even then it’s hard work and some congestion- I spent 25 years commuting daily and I’m sick of it now.

There will always be crime but hopefully the levels will be low- but without proper supports, current shops will close and many of our streets will just have takeaways and restaurants and nail bars just like the UK- we need to wake up quickly and preserve as much good about our city as we can

What is somewhat refreshing in some of the posts above is those who live and work in Dublin in the main, are complaining about congestion but not complaining about crime.

I haven't seen one post except the above that puts congestion above crime on this thread. Perhaps Oscar Madison is thinking of a different thread.

O'Connell street and surrounds are the national dumping ground for drug addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

This conversation isn't about traffic congestion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

We did. You seem more concerned about being able to drive into Ireland junky dumping ground than anything else.

Is this thread called "is Dublin really drivable?"

No, it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

I have, and Westmoreland wasn't dodgy 30 years ago - even at 3 or 4 in the morning.

Advertisement