Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

It really does look great !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭MarkN

Sound actuator causing the delay I’ve heard. Not officially though, from someone waiting on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭carsfan2

New 5 tourer is definitely better looking than the saloon but BMW have cheapened out again, removing the separate opening rear window and motorised parcel shelf also.

This is the first 5 series I have not wanted to own and I have had two tourers and one saloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'm dying to see the A6 Etron saloon/hatch and also the Avant.

Mercedes and BMW offering in this class has been extremely disappointing so far. Good cars of course but don't particularly want to own either of them, even as bargain used cars in the future. Not much going for them really.

Hopefully Audi deliver where the other 2 haven't and just come out with something desirable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I'm very interested in seeing the pricing difference between the i5 & Phev/Diesel 5 Touring - I specced up the i5 eDrive40 to my current G31 spec and it was €120k+ - that's very spicy, cost to change into an i5 is going to be a massive jump from G31.

I'll reserve my opinion on the interior quality until I test drive one properly but I do think the removal of the rear split window is silly, it's such a great feature that I use daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭letsbefair

It's just too expensive imo and depreciation could be massive. 120k is a lot of money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

It may still have the split rear opening. He mentions its still a prototype in that video. Kinda silly showing it off as it's not the finished product, not sure he's much good at reviewing cars anyway - seen a few of his previous videos and they are dreadful.

Car prices these days are nuts i bought a 1 year old touring 9 years ago for 58k. Wish my salary increased as much lol!

No I saw another review and he mentioned it’s definitely gone and that BMW cited weight saving as the reason which is a bit rich when the car is already so heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

That's their go-to response for anything - to defend the cost cutting, which corporately they've targeted 25% of manufacturing costs.

• Advertisement

Just reading the Musk bio at the moment and to be fair he did revolutionise the way cars were been made. i.e delete - delete - delete. Seems like other manufacturers are taking cues from tesla - only thing I notice is price of BMWs going up price of Teslas going down. Pretty sure I know how this will work out for bmw in the long term.

I see on the configurator for the i5 touring that there is now a sport model that is 86k which is a few grand cheaper than m sport.

What’s the difference ? I thought in Ireland the base g60 was m sport

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

In recent years it’s been Base, Sport and then MSport. Was similar for the i4.

Looks like no m sport cosmetic styling. Not sure I like the 2 spoke steering wheel though. Phytonic blue looks to be free along with sun protection glass in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I know with the 3 Series the Sport usually meant it was lower spec. Sport usually removed the black interior headlining, different steering wheel, smaller alloy wheels, no sport seats, less aggressive exterior styling and no shadow line gloss black exterior trim.

Hasn't been a Sport trim in the 5 Series since the E39 I think, obviously introduced to make it seem cheaper to buyers in order to try and sell more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

not sure if this is right but this is how I see it:

Sport = SE (very rare to see)

MSport/MSportPro - Different levels of MSport

M Series = Performance Engine & High Spec

Just had another look and the sport model is there for the saloon too. Starts at 83k euro. I guess it is being done to give a lower starting price.

Spec not too bad with 19" alloys and phytonic metallic as standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

They just need to cut the price, not many people want to spend €83k on a car and get a completely base spec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Sounds like it should be called anything other than sport ?

• Advertisement

I agree they need to cut the price. The sport model though doesn’t seem to lack any equipment from the m sport, in fact with the privacy glass and metallic it actually has more. It has 19” alloys same as base m sport. The difference is in the styling from what I can see.

I’m guessing they’re bringing this in to lower the price point as when the new 5 arrived we were told msport was going to be the only version available in right hand drive.

I still have only seen two new model 5series on the roads here. I don’t believe they are selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They won't sell at 90k or even in the 80s, but maybe BMW are happy with high margin low volume. They're not even great looking and people that have seen and sat in them say the feel cheaper than 5 series of old.

You can get 2 id4 or 2 teslas for the price of an i5. 300bhp cars. And whether BMW like it or not, they are competitors now. People will jump ship into SUVs now no problem

More likely 5 series customers will move sideways into an A6, Merc or even Lexus rather than an ID.4. If the new A6 has a well priced diesel option, it could do very well here.

I really think that's changing Joe. I'm talking i5 buyers only here, not 520i or 530e buyers just in case there's confusion. Can't see i5 buyers going to A6 diesel, I could see 520d buyers go A6 though of course in the absence of a diesel 5 series. Although that will only last a few years. Will be renamed A7 shortly actually.

Merc EQE hasn't sold at all here, it's not great looking and it's expensive. A6 Etron will likely be too expensive as well to be mainstream in a way the A6 almost is now.

I've lost brand loyalty to the big Germans, I bought an Etron because my father wanted rid of it and got it very cheap, well under what he would have got selling to a dealership type of price.

We've ex BMW fans going Tesla all over the place on forums anyway, BYD Seal now too we have an example of here. I can see big defections to many other brands.

The thing is, a 5 series has become such a common sight since the late 1990s here that it's no longer special enough to command such prices. There will be a few that always will stick with the brand but I can't see it being a common sight.

520d and 530e when they came out were in the 50k bracket not so long ago.

Most 5 series sales here in the last 2 decades have been 520d models. It’s those drivers that will defect to other premium brands that can offer the powertrain they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Plenty of those will go EV.

I did, and I would have gone i5 but I just couldn't justify paying that price given the drop in quality.

What the hell is the sport edition ?! The base m sport 520i is 72k but sport edition is 83k? On the Irish configurator…

The sport selection changes the powertrain from 520i to e40 so it is now the i5 not 520i

• Advertisement

Is that not i5 sport that is 83k? Apologies I haven't looked at configurator but that's what I thought

Advertisement