Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Jesus, that's just....

I'm getting serious "Come into my parlour" vibes from this. GB News exists to pander to knuckle-dragging racists. What does a PM of Indian background who has become the face of the highest levels of immigration ever recorded expect to achieve pandering to this non-entity?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"I want to hear about the issues that matter to you", quoth Richi Sunak. Are you sure you do Richi?

So how much more moderated will the communication channels be on the 12th? 'cos something tells me GB News are gonna do their best not to let someone on who'll say what matters to them is "too many brown people"...

And not that I expect - or want - my politicians to have slick, charismatic facades in media but ye gods Sunak couldn't even rustle up a scintilla of charm in that promotion. The delivery, the dead stare, the repeated open-palm two-handed gesture...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He is also impressively terrible at trying to relate to the "common man".

He is so bad that really he should be kept away from even trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

In fairness to Sunak he was probably only reading off a script re; the woman comment

Starmer came off a bit virtue signally with his comeback I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So Sunak is nothing but a robot # reading out whatever is in front of him regardless of the situation?

And you think that is better than Starmer who actually was dealing with the situation as it was happening

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In fairness, that's a terribly weak defence. Is he just a robot who reads what's in front of him?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hang on, where does "virtue signalling" stop and "being vocally appalled at the crass insensitivity of the comments given recent circumstances" start? Trotting out the "virtue signal" hand-wave does a disservice to a fairly boilerplate response to a transparently shítty comment in light of everything, script or not.

Sunak made an awful comment, Starmer responded with the political equivalent of STFU you muppet; not sure how it's Starmer that's open to criticism here for simply saying the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would argue Sunak making the comment in the first place was virtue signalling. It isn't something he himself seems to care about in any direction and is thrown out there to appease a certain section.

100% if we're being exacting: there lies the "virtue signalling", being a comment deployed as a total non-sequitor & for no other reason than to throw a little red meat to the Tory Ultras; Sunak trotted it out to signal to them what an anti-woke, illiberal guy he was.

I'd give him some leeway in that yeah, maybe Sunak didn't know Brianna Ghey's mum was on the grounds, but even if she wasn't this wasn't the week to keep stirring the anti-trans pot, with the country appalled by the psychopathy and hate publicised during the murder trial.

Now, I can't prove this but I remain convinced that the only reason he became PM is because his run went unchallenged in the Tory party leadership at the end to bypass the Tory party membership who are almost certainly a group of extremely racist people. They overwhelmingly support the death penalty, oppose access to abortion, oppose same sex marriage and so on...

This is either going to be a friendly hearing for Sunak with a tame audience in which case, what's the point, or a complete disaster. Farage is a major presence on the channel and he's openly supporting Reform UK since he knows Labour are likely to win. He's openly stated wanting to replace the Conservatives with Reform.

Sunak has this weird image of being a liberal centrist which, again, will not help in the months to come.

• Advertisement

How much input would have have into it. I assume it's scripted for him and he's given a bit of guidance on what to say when

If he's busy he may not have even noticed the remark

He knew full well what he was saying and to whom. There's no way his aides won't have briefed him. Pretending he's some sort of innocent soul who got tricked into it isn't going to wash.

Again, doesn't really excuse him, nor justify moving any castigation over to Starmer for having the common-sense awareness to criticise Sunak's comments on the fly. The outrage here is correctly directed in this situation, Starmer responded about as well as could be expected. It's not "virtue signalling" when it's entirely on-topic.

Ya but they're busy men

He may have had doubts when he saw it but went ahead anyway , not giving it enough thought

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Sunak knew Esther was in the chamber. Starmer's opening address at PMQ's was "Mr. Speaker, this week the unwavering bravery of Brianna Ghey's mother, Esther, has touched us all. As a father I cannot even imagine the pain that she's going through and I'm glad that she's with us in the gallery today."

Sunak deserves absolutely no leeway at all in this matter.

Not a defence. We are all responsible for our actions. If it was a mistake, he could have apologised. Instead, he has doubled down. He meant it.

Go away and cop on. Your not the first to try this line over the last few days.

You are fooling no one.

Oh well then, this segue becomes even more redundant: Sunak knew the grieving mum was watching, the daughter dead because she was trans - and Sunak said it anyway. Starmer's not the one at fault here - and god knows there's plenty to lay at his feet.

Sunak was bad enough when he was just broadly unaware of the little people under him, but this moved into properly legitimate sociopathy, or callousness at best. Or to use a shorter word: Tory.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Even as hot takes go, that's laughable nonsense

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

This is a man whose finger is on a nuclear trigger and you think that's a good excuse?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

People like Sunak aren't politicians. They're salespeople. They can only operate on trying to hock their wares to a certain target group. They've no real policy to speak of. They couldn't care less about the state of the nation, or its people. They're merely in a job selling stuff for a certain amount of time.

This is why he can blithely spout off the way he did in the chamber trying to appeal to shitheads and the worst in British society with his trans jibe, completely bereft of any kind of statesmanlike composure or even the most minimal regard for a person who might be affected by his inane uttering.

Even if that person is a grieving mother of someone who was brutally murdered simply because she was who she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Indeed - I don't think Sunak is a racist or a xenophobe or anti-LGBT at all. He's just an empty vessel salesman aiming platitudes at the racists and bigots, as he believes that's what they want to hear. He probably couldn't give a hoot either way about boats in the Channel or trans people or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Let's follow that thought through. Let's agree that it was simply Sunak reading from the prepared notes.

He was asked a few minutes later, after Starmer had pointed out the crass nature of his comment, to apologise. He ignored it.

No 10 then decided to send out the cabinet members and other MPs to try to blame Starmer.

They were all asked if an apology was a good idea. They all refused.

Her dad then requested an apology. It was ignored.

So while you can possibly forgive him for being so incredibly useless that he cannot think on his feet during PMQs, what possible reason is there for the attacks on Starmer, the continued refusal to apologise?

He's a definite classist though. He's shown several times now that he has nothing but contempt for working class people. Classism is never talked about in the UK and it's perfectly acceptable so long as one does not say the quiet part out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, that part is probably correct - he does give the impression of being an arrogant, out of touch snob (perhaps not entirely surprising given his background and vast wealth).

Ah but is his finger on the trigger

Maybe you've been watching too much Dr. Strangelove ?

It's impossible to watch too much Dr Strangelove.

Is it asking too much to have a man or woman of sound judgment in such an important role? PM in general I mean, but yes control of the UK's nuclear weapons is an essential part of that role...

His conduct is inexcusable.

It was a constant line of attack by your beloved Tories on Corbyn.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nachouser

I was sorting through my book shelf earlier and I found my old copy of Dr. Strangelove's Game: A Brief History of Economic Genius by Paul Strathern.

It's a good read, if you can find a copy.

On the Starmer quote, he's actually correct in saying that 99.9% of women don't have a penis. It's possible to legally change your gender and still have your original genitalia intact. So, Sunak was being a massive one of those things they are rabidly obsessed about.

Advertisement