Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the majority is gone, for now, so if, and it really is a big IF, sf do manage to form a government, theyll have to contend with their government partners, most likely ff, so, relax, not much would actually change, and yes, our most serious issues are set to escalate no matter what government is formed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭reactadabtc

I see the same government being returned tbh. I think they will all pick up a few percent before the election and that will get them over the line. I could easily see FG/FF on 23 or so each and GP hit 7. That puts them at 53 overall. Very possible

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The problem with your overly simplistic analysis is that current house prices outside of South Dublin (where there is very little land left) are barely above the cost of construction.

In any profession or workplace, you try out the new lad at the lower levels, see how it goes, see how he works out, does he have the skills, does he have the cop-on, and if it doesn't work at those levels, you throw him out, if it does work at those levels, you give him a chance at the higher levels.

Sinn Fein have failed at local council level, they have also failed in Stormont, why would anyone give them a chance at a higher level like the Dail?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sinn Féin have a vision, let's give them that. A border poll within the decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree with what your saying here, but the fact Mary Lou standing with the north of Ireland first minster at every photo chance and coming out with now the time is right for a united ireland is showing this is the number one priority and not the problems facing the government of the day as you have stated, as for the independent vote increasing, this will happen in rural Ireland big time as people in rural areas are being left behind and the government are not interested and see Dublin as the real power in voting. Every thing doesn’t revolve around Dublin and the farming community is fed up on all the red tape and climate change being forced upon the country side. And then you have Eamon cabbage head dictatorship on what people need to do car pooling, bike lanes, etc and he and his cronies flying everywhere first class.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Do they have the same entitlements to state supports for renting/buying in NI as they do here? Genuine question.

There are other threads debating the implications of unification, and I don’t want to get bogged down here, but if it means increases in taxes to fund the unification like it did for the 20 years after Germany unified, I would vote No. Unlike many SF voters, I couldn’t care less about whether the 6 counties join, having disaffected unionists join us would be far more trouble than it’s worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...yup, very possible there will be another ffg government, and absolute mayhem external to that, with a rapid rise of the extremes, should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sure seeing as you are here you might as well tell us what the party is all about .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

O Reilly seems to have gone to ground since the whole immigration topic has started to heat up, more often than not when its going to be up for discussion its Rose Conway Walsh or Martin Kenny in the hot seat.

Actually if the shinners do get in next time I'd like to see O Reilly get either Health, Housing or Integration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Growing population doesn't reduce the units.

Tax rates on materials has nothing to do with Sinn Fein ending up with less units than they started with when running DCC

DCC was handed close to 300m, what else do you want?

The excuse train is out. The never ending excuse train with Sinn Fein and supporters.

"A zillion reasons", I think you should change that to a Sinn Fein statement "a zillion excuses"

If you want a United Ireland Sinn Fein are the worst party to support, they have no plan on a United Ireland. They have no ability to work with any party either side of the border. They spend the majority of the time bickering with every party who comes near them.

To get a United Ireland the only way is to build bridges across all the communities in Northern Ireland and the Republic. The cross border projects that are happening now is a step towards that.

IN 100 years if left to Sinn Fein they will still be doing a lot of talking with nothing to back it up and bickering with all the parties like they currently do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Don’t know how that statement aligns with them throwing some non-PA aligned Palestinians from the meeting this week. The visit to the White House and inviting the PA aligned ambassador to the meeting is not what Hamas or most Gazans would want.

I am not sure whether to class that under naivety or stupidity.

Even the most rabid anti-Semites on the Hamas thread claim not to support Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Your right they don't have any plan but just keep on banging on about it etc no other parties are interested in a united Ireland so maybe it may never happen, also our welfare payments would drop as well adding an extra 2 million so, I don't under the powers powersharing it's mostly the UK that look after northern Ireland or does any money from Dublin go up there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

SF are finding the deep support within their new voterbase. the people who voted purely to get at FF or FG are dropping off, and thats only a good thing as it means a stronger party overall and a reliable voterbase.

i just watched that interview. Who was supporting Hamas or who do you say the 'more than a few' refers to? She spoke correctly. You need dialogue for peace and SF have constantly condemned the Hamas Oct attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Is that lad Tadhg Hickey falling out of love with SF? The rage vein in his head is massive these days. Is he the sort of lad you think SF would be better off without Mac?

Again, it is a unique viewpoint to find shrinking support as a positive.

• Advertisement

It's nonsense, but then again the poster has admitted they are part of the Sinn Fein online supporters group so I guess this is the spin coming from the party.

Surely the aim of all political parties is to garner voters who would have voted for other parties? Saying that it is a good thing that they are abandoning SF is an oxymoron.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Did you read the article? Nothing controversial in it at all.

Or did you just read the headline? It's a click baity one tbf. From the Telegraph, no surprise I guess.

It's nonsense, but a lot of nonsense posted for years now from Sinn Fein supporters, this is just the latest

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This concerns me a bit.

It's one thing for a party in opposition to say things like this but imagine if they were in government saying all this stuff? Imagine what some of their backbenchers would be saying on all sorts of issues.

That could have a material impact on the Irish people.

There is a reason Irish governments are very careful in what they say about very delicate issues around the world.

This was my post you are referring to. Sinn fein online supporters group? Can you explain that please? I'm a member/supporter of Sinn Fein. Im not on any 'online supporters group', so "i guess" you should stop making stuff up so that you can then reply to yourself.

Otherwise yeah, sure dont listen to a shinner when you talking about shinner stuff. get your head out of the sand. the change is happening.

I still dont see the terrible things that have been said. Hamas might be a negotiator in future peace? What do you think is going to happen to hamas? what happened the IRA and SF over the decades? really short term memories around here or else just wilfully fooling oneselves..

considering how SFs supported exploded, shedding of unwanted voters is always a good thing. SF have never been stupid enough to blame immigrants for issues caused by the government and people who think like that are too far removed from what SF is about. SF has a much more intellectual vote than many seem to think. they arent robots, doing what they're told but they arent xenophobes either. Far from it. All these 'bring back the IRA' shite you see on TT etc just makes me laugh. the IRA would tell them to feck off.

Advertisement