Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

RTE and VM are basically the Irish version of CNN/MSNBC by this stage .....they literally only have people on to pat each other on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I absolutely agree.

I'm only pointing out the glaring inconsistencies in this 'vetting' arguement.

Likewise I think this newly emboldened domestic terror movement are an actual threat to be concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So you think health services were ' better' then?

You have no clue.

I trained back then too and my last year as a student saw the first pickets for staffing etc in the history of the state.

The following years we saw the start of beds being put up on wards in treatment rooms etc. A&E used to be closed in those days when capacity was reached so yes overcrowding was limited but people ended up in Ambulances being sent to a hospital across the city or further for a trolley or a bed .

Many patients on trolleys. Situation disimproved in the 80s. Recession. Cutbacks. No jobs for a lot of people once qualified despite patient numbers going up. Many emigrated

Trolleywatch was set up to counter the Health Service's playing with trolley numbers and hiding beds.

Doctors coming to the house...Drs were paid per GMS patient, numbers were smaller but on the other hand doctors worked nights and weekends and even Christmas in most cases. Never saw their families until they had built up their practices and had junior docs doing the hours for them. And the mistreatment of young docs continued until GPs themsrves became unionised and locum services with predominantly foreign doctors were set up to take the pressure off.

Also the range of treatments available and diagnostics from your GP has vastly improved.

They can do so much more and manage patients without the need to have people admitted.

Patients admitted for less time in hospital now than befire. Shorter admissiin times means more patient turnover of sicker patients. Nursing is much more intensive and higher nurse patient ratios required

Whether you get what you need though depends on govvetnment allocation and management of funds locally.

Its like comparing night with day.

As if you will listen anyway..

Nope.

Widely read but thank you, will take it as a complement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, why does anyone adhere international law or commitments? Because the rules-based framework of international law and convention is the basis on which global collaboration and harmony are built and — like all things in life — it's give and take. We benefit from much of the world's resources, global trade, inward investment, as well as our own freedom to travel to, live in and enjoy other parts of the world. In return, we do our bit to shoulder the burdens too. We are far from the only country who has to shoulder the effort sometimes and, if we are honest here, we don't get it too bad at all. This is our first ever real experience of something like this and now the EU member States need to collaborate to make the new Asylum and Migration Pact work to try stem the flow of people into the EU who are depriving genuine refugees from resources and good will.

But hey, let's not let perspective prevent the interminable whinge fest on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Due to spending cuts, between 1980 and 2000, the number of acute beds nationally was cut by one-third, around 6,000 beds. Leaving us with one of the lowest bed-to-population ratios in the EU.

That problem has been in the making for decades.

All the hospitals in the region were downgraded, Ennis, Nenagh, Barrington's closed, with resultant pressure on Limerick.

Not enough beds put into Limerick to compensate.

Completely ignoring demographic changes, increasing age of population, and numbers due to increased industry in the area.... Eh, voilá!

Crisis in Limerick has been foretold and predicted for the last 20 years.

Haha Jesus Christ, do you not see how that proves the very point I am making? The idea that the EU institutions are in-and-of-themselves powerful, and that we serve some Brussel overlords, is demonstrably a gross exaggeration. The EU's "power" is derived from the collective power of its member states pooling together — and Brexit proved that the real power really lies, and always has done, with the member states. The EU has no centralised power in its own right to actually even preserve itself — just as Brexit demonstrated when the British simply left and Grand Master Juncker and the rest of the allegedly uber-powerful Brussels overlords had no power to stop it.

So yeah, every time people say to me that Ireland is marching to the orders of the Brussels overlords, I always wonder who they actually believe they are referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But what happens when you try to double the population of Limerick with the current ongoing all year round Crisis,

• Advertisement

Look, can't reply to your posts anymore with that.. cartoon at the end.

Do you really support arson?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Helen McEntee basically says the fact they are fingerprinted after they arrived counts as "vetting". Even though that fingerprint is not actually checked against any database at all, as revealed in the media last week. And even if it was, that EU database would tell us nothing about whether they were a criminal in their home country of Algeria, Pakistan, Somalia etc etc.

For all their talk about more "communication" on the issue, every time Varadkar, O Gorman and McEntee open their mouth they come out with misinformation designed to misrepresent what's going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wait, what,

Arson it's absolutely does not have anything to do with arson, arsonist or the far right

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I do listen. The person who raised this said that health services were better 40-50 years ago. You disagreed. I gave you my own experience as a member of the public, that from our point of view it was easier to access GP and hospital care, albeit the standard of treatments might have been less. You give an insiders view and prove the point by talking of cutbacks post 1980. And we increased the population substantially.

I think you'll find most of the public value access to the health system first & foremost, that's why there are big local protests at local hospital closures. Access was better 4-5 decades ago, you could have GP visits and a bed if needed.

What has disimproved from the public POV? Harder to access services now due to centralisation and the larger demands of these services due to population growth. They go together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Is it possible at all you could make a post without use of such phrases as "Brussels overlords" or nonsense like "grandmaster Juncker"or"illuminati"these are not descriptors I have ever used.. My point is there is a democratic deficit at the heart of the EU, we the citizens can not get rid of the commission ie those who are at the top of the EU pyramid of governance directly, it's as simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,613 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It would be literally impossible for the people of Europe to elect the European Commission. This assumes that it is some sort of central government or Politburo that "runs" Europe. It is nothing of the sort - it is effectively the EU's civil service and doesn't even make the key decisions around policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

"From a security perspective, i can't see any difference if you arrive with or without a passport or a visa, if the country you're coming from doesn't have the infrastructure to perform 'vetting'." - Not once mentioned "vetting" in my last post, it doesn't matter if the country in question has a database for screening or not. The majority of these databases are shared between most countries around the world( nearly every country has some boarder system its 2024) to flag any potential risks any bad actors can/could impose, its called proper boarder control...

Nearly everyone arriving for work would have giving their passport details, qualifications and have accommodation, a job and money for their own support and have entered legally(completely fine, we need this type of controlled immigration).

Why are people destroying their passports on arrival at the airport - anyone with commonsense can see whats happening or should we just pretend to believe every case is genuine for asylum. Most of these people are arriving from safe countries destroying their passports on the plane , even RTE and the Dept of Justice mentioned and acknowledged this is happening.

Unsure of anything false above? if you can find anything false/untrue, please point it out in reply. Interesting to see your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So McEntee had to admit this whole forced deportation kite flying is nonsense.

Wont happen until the end of the year and even if it does it will be in extreme cases.

Yeah but citizens can't generally directly remove or appoint civil servants, including the senior ones right? The government makes those calls, as the elected body to run the State. Similarly, it is the Council, made up of the governments of the EU member states, who appoint Commissioners.

In any event, the Commission is not really at the "top" of EU governance — the member states themselves are. Do you really think Ursula von der Leyen outranks Macron in power within the EU ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It’s the lying that is driving people crazy! And they don’t seem to realise that you can’t spread misinformation yourself and be credible when you complain about people who you don’t agree with spreading misinformation.

If there was some honesty- if they’d acknowledge the level of immigration is too high, that we have flawed systems and said they would try to resolve the issues- there would be far more social solidarity around the issue.

Most people know things are not working, and there's no doubt most members of the Government know it too, but in the upper echelons of Ireland you don't admit to failure.

Also two years on from the invasion of Ukraine there seems to be no sign of a longer term plan. The refugees who arrived in the first few weeks are still here, still in accommodation designed for tourists, still very concentrated in certain areas. Surely for everyone's sake it's time to move on from the crisis phase, acknowledge these completely genuine people are not just here for the short term, develop some strategy for their long term accommodation and integration. Putting huge numbers of them into hotels in small places like Lisdoonvarna might be okay as a stop gap measure, but it obviously shouldn't be the last step taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Agree, the Government are as bad for misinformation as the patriot fools on twitter are.

People can see right through it and everytime they open there mouth it pushes one or two more moderates further right.

They are very much part of the current problem. Looking forward to seeing a FG canvasser and letting them know!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

A good intermediate step in all of this would be to get rid of the murky statuses like "leave to remain" and the right to work.

We're talking about people who have been refused asylum, and then refused asylum again on appeal, and still being allowed "leave to remain" and take up work! Baffling. How is this an allowed status at all - we have literally as a State said we don't believe their claim for asylum and they shouldn't be here yet in the next breath we say ok you can just stay and take up work...like wtf??? No wonder we are a complete laughing stock.

Your claims are very much false. It looks like you have some correct information but after that you're speculating and omitting.

You didn't use the term 'vetting', but you talked about the need for background checks, is that somehow different than vetting?

You say then, that 'everyone with commonsense can see what's happening'. I'm afraid I don't share your sense of commonsense, can you tell me what you think is happening please?

You might also explain what these databases are that the majority of the world has, I'm quite baffled by that? I know there are databases for people flagged as serious criminals, terrorist threat etc, but you'll have to explain how, outside these extreme cases, they would allow somebody to be 'vetted' for lessor offences, or being flagged as somebody here would be on the Pulse system, or with Tulsa. Also, do these serious crime databases require passports? I would have thought the likes of a terrorist database would work on facial recognition or fingerprinting in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭combat14

guess the logic is it stops us exceeding capacity by encouraging the government to reduce the flow and would be economic migrants to consider to go elsewhere as they are no longer welcome when we have no free houses

Even though I'm of the belief myself that immigration is probably too high, and certainly unbalanced in favor of non-essential roles, I don't think everyone who says otherwise is lying.

I do think that some people genuinely believe that more immigration equates to a stronger economy, which in turn leads to resolution of health and housing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That interview would be hilarious if the subject under discussion wasn't so serious.

Brock didn't ask her one difficult question and she was still stuttering trying to think of answers.

She is more worried about her little hate speech bill rather than doing her job and making sure people who shouldn't be here are removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,613 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A problem with the anti-immigration argument is that it seems to view large scale immigration mostly as an aberration, a negative and something that needs to be stamped out. But this argument seems to concentrate way too much on the downsides and drawbacks and ignores the positives i.e. that immigrants are hard workers and tax payers, as well as being mostly young and fit and healthy. If they were genuinely a major burden on the country and dragging it down, immigration would surely have been banned many years ago.

That's not to say that those who believe that large scale immigration is putting pressure on housing, services and infrastructure are 'wrong' in what they believe. It's very much a trade off type of thing - the government and economists clearly believe that immigration has more positives attached than negatives, but both viewpoints have legitimacy as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Listen I respect that everyone has an opinion but I might as well be talking to the wall here.

The twisting and turning of replying back without answering the question.

Why are people destroying their passports/ travel documents upon arrival from mostly safe countries - because the bogus claims for asylum/refugee is happening, anyone with commonsense can see that!

"I'm quite baffled by that?" "but you'll have to explain how" a very common theme within your replies, answer a question with many questions.

I'm sure there are legitimate and illegitimate reasons for claiming asylum without documentation.

What you haven't shown is where that becomes a security issue?

Where IP arrivals somehow need a level of 'background check' or 'vetting' that people arriving with visas don't receive.

I can see no other explanation for these calls for 'vetting' other than it's extremely ill-informed or intended as scaremongering. But feel free to offer a better explanation if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Disingenuous arguments about immigration are a huge scourge.

One of the issues is people with an agenda deliberately misunderstanding those who want to limit immigration.

Someone could say that there should be consequences for destroying one's passport on the way to Ireland or that immigration should be restricted to people with certain skills or filling certain jobs.. Entirely reasonable suggestions that are followed in many countries.

But the next thing someone wilfully misinterpreting what was said will come back with 'the whole health service would fall apart except for immigrants'.

The Government go to the edge of such arguments themselves, probably because there's little they can say to defend their handling of the issue since the pandemic ended.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement