Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Potentially some barriers. I wouldn’t be surprised if the concrete barriers between Link C and the mainline from tunnel are removed also to improve visibility to help with merging.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Any other elements left to do after link C?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

bar some landscaping and general site clean up, there doesn't seem to be too much else. They mentioned the bridge waterproofing and some local surfacing last week which are all due for completion this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Link P, I think it is, which is the link from the Little Island east junction to LinkC, which goes to the M8N. Just from recent updates I believe C will be open a little before P.

Wish they'd open C, I wanted to use it tomorrow morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Dronehawk thinks it will be open this weekend or Monday

• Advertisement

This was the case in last week’s newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I don't like that on Link C, traffic from Little Island (left lane) is asked to merge into the right lane (N25). I'd prefer the right lane merge into the left. But it's understandable why they did it: N25 is the priority flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

N25 having the priority flow aside, merging into the left is a less safe option. Merging into the left would create 'right of way' confusion between the two lanes as the right lane is the mainline, also traffic merging from the right would have a greater blind spot to its left hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

An Tánaiste Micheál Martin TD will carry out the official opening of the Dunkettle Interchange Upgrade at a brief ceremony to take place on site on the morning of Monday the 12th of February 2024. Both Link P and Link C will then open to traffic before lunchtime on Monday the 12th.

Completion of the main works will be followed by a 3-year maintenance period during which the operation of the Interchange will be monitored. The contact email will remain in place and any queries/comments/concerns in relation to the Upgrade works should be addressed to roadconstruction@ccc-site.com.

Updates will continue to be issued over the coming period as may be appropriate with the next Update to be issued on Friday the 16th of February 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

Does anyone have a total cost number for overall project.

I can see the €215 million number being thrown out there a lot regarding the project but my understanding is that this is specifically the construction phase of the project and doesn't include the enabling works etc which was divided out into a separate contract.

Are we looking at closer to the €250 million mark when we include land acquisition, enabling, surveys, construction, consultants and whatever else covers the entire job?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

How would everyone rate the build process? Personally I think it was very well managed and they got it done in good time. Apart from signage issues and what I think were some over-the-top 60 km/h limits I am happy with it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

At what point do the limits go back to normal? Was still 60 km/h from Mahon to the tunnel when I was there last weekend but I noted that the other side (tunnel onwards) was back to 80-100 alright

My 2c as a regular enough visitor is that they made a mess of the signage, the reduction to single lanes to/from the M8 is hardly an improvement (when they've merged 2/3 other lanes into the same stretch) and from what I've read here the traffic is as bad/worse as it ever was. Plus that stupid loop left from the M8 to get to the City via the next exit is ridiculous.

They probably should have left it alone or done it properly really.

How could go they do more than 1 lane from the M8 tunnel given the tunnel is only 2 lanes. It would be impossible without widening the tunnel itself.

Then that's what should have been done - hence "properly"

The project was to upgrade the junction and not widen the tunnel though. A third bore would be required. I can’t imagine what the cost would be.

Well we have billions to spend/squander when we want to in this country. It's a pity that the county with several senior ministers in its constituency couldn't manage to get done what a bunch of independent lads in Kerry have been doing for decades.

My experience with this anyway is that it's yet another half-assed compromised job that already isn't worth what's been spent on it from reading some of the previous posts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It was never going to sort out bottlenecks further along any routes but what it does do is prevent tailbacks or heavy traffic on one route causing gridlock with other routes as used to happen when all routes met at one roundabout.

In my experience traffic flow through the junction has improved noticeably the times I have used it but sometimes it just succeeds in getting you to the next tailback a little quicker.

I think the project team did a superb job.

I think the design team made some mistakes, particularly around active travel and signage but they did a good job in general. My fears about the Dublin-to-City route have not come to pass (at least not yet) and I think on balance it looks like they got that call right (and that I got it wrong: hopefully!).

And in terms of concepts, I've come around to thinking an M40 North would have been better value project overall. I realise that traffic was bad at Dunkettle, but as others have said they're just waiting elsewhere now anyway. I also realise that M40 North is more politically and financially difficult, but I think by improving Dunkettle they might have undermined some of the business case for the M40 North. So I'm a bit ambivalent about the project itself.

But again, fair play to the project team. Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Great question. I'd agree that the construction was handled very well overall. Particularly impressive was keeping all traffic flows open for 99% of the time with minor re-routing, very intrusive works were segmented and handled during the night-time lull, and traffic was rarely worse that it was before construction commenced. A huge achievement given the ongoing 80,000 or so vehicle movements per day. No doubt covid lockdowns and WFH helped, but nonetheless less it very successfully managed. Also, the sequencing of the never ending cycles of closure, demolition, construction, reopening of element after element was very impressive. I'm in awe of the brains that can put all that together.

Regarding the speed signage and very poor speed management this was quite disappointing. A lot of money was spent on the N40 VMS as part of the preliminary works, and this was not used to any great extent during construction. A lot of the time all it fit was to announce that it was raining. The actual speed limits in the construction area were fixed, very poorly enforced and signed by small cheap signs mounted on upright posts and €50 single sided stanchions. It had the feel of a county council project from the 70s. If 10% have been shaved off that over the top VMS, a variable speed regime could have been placed around the construction site allowing low speed limits when construction warranted it, and higher limits at weekends, with far more effective enforcement. I drove through there on numerous Saturdays and Sundays when there was little or no construction activity, and anybody driving in accordance with the 60km signs was passed on the right and left. Definitely a lesson to be learned here for future large scale in-situ projects.

Regarding the signage, it's woefully bad. Really awful. It should be redone from scratch. Fortunately that's not a major task, if the will and wit exist.

Regarding the design, time will tell. let's give it a few months to bed in.

But to answer your question, I'd rate the construction process very highly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

I think they missed a trick restricting to 2 lanes coming out of the tunnel northbound.

Previously, as soon as you exited the tunnel, you could move into a 3rd lane on the left to head for the city. They've blocked that lane for some reason, there was plenty of room to keep it. We will continue to see tailbacks to Rochestown I would image.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 janjan182

Well done project team, Dronehawk and everyone on this thread that made it a pleasure to follow over the past few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Scooby Reggie do

They could have dropped in another bore into the tunnel but you were going to be back to the same issue on the south side going back to 2 lanes. You’re always going to get the bottle neck.

N40 north is the only real solution (all the ways to N22)

Yep and there likely won't ever be a third bore fore cars at this stage.

I was looking at aerial pictures of the tunnel at its opening and it was all green farmland. Now it's all urban, and I really don't think anyone expected that the city would grow the way it did. So the needs now are very different. Cars will possibly get to use the Eastern Gateway bridge but I think even that would be a mistake tbh. TLDR: very low chance of another tunnel with similar characteristics as the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭mcburns07

If it was being built now, is it likely a tunnel would still be selected instead of a bridge?

Most definitely. Significant clearance over the Lee would be required to leave shipping underneath. This would mean that significant ramps would be needed on both sides in the lead up to the bridge. That would potentially complicate things especially with access from the Tivoli and Little Island sides.

It would almost certainly have 3 lanes in each direction if built today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Here's something to consider when looking at future road capacity requirements.

Contrary to the idea that we will all take to bikes and busses, the European automotive mobility market is projected to grow from €73.2bn in 2022 to €148.8bn by 2035, that's a compound annual growth rate of 5%. https://www.deloitte.com/global/en/Industries/automotive/analysis/future-of-automotive-mobility-study.html

If the above holds true, and with the China producing EV's like we produce spuds, the JLT, N40 and N25 in their current configuration will definitely become a carpark at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

... if nothing at all is done to addess car-based commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Within the confines of the site and the project, I feel they did an excellent job. Granted, the tunnel is a major weakness, and some of the routes/mergepoints take getting used to!

I've enjoyed watching it all unfold. The joined up planning, the swift progress they made during nighttime working, and the regular updates etc, all good imo.

I wonder will it inspire any teens to look at a career in civil engineering etc?

• Advertisement
Advertisement