Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

I wouldn’t be calling for anyone’s head regardless of how the nations league pans out, it’s a very tough group - but having Greece there is an interesting benchmark considering we’ve played them so recently and were pretty poor in both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

If we appoint a manager with a bit of belief in himself the players can look forward to the England games as an opportunity for a big scalp. We’re no great shakes in terms of quality but we’re not as bad as the results of recent years. There’ll be no pummelling unless we turn up ill prepared with no belief or plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Stephen Kenny had plenty of belief in himself and the players. I think many Irish fans including myself have overegged our young players. Most havent kicked on and are dropping down divisions. We are as bad as the results recently and they have been on a downward trend since 2016. England I think will absolutely beat us by 2 or 3 comfortably in Wembley. Now unless the new manager comes in and parks a bus but if it is Carsley, he's never had to coach that style so i dont see that happening. New manager should get 4 years too unless it does go horribly wrong but we are on a downward trend and i dont think we have hit the bottom yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

England at home on a Saturday in September. I might actually give my ticket to someone else for that!

Then again my dad was at the infamous match in the 90s so be good to keep it going in the generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭jacool

Luckily for the new manager most people on here have said we'll end up with zero points. They have out-Kenny'd Kenny.

This was one of the draw stipulations "FYI, Kazakhstan can only be drawn in a group with a maximum of one of England, Wales, Republic of Ireland or Iceland for excessive travel reasons."

Of course, we drew Kazakhstan, but had to get them replaced by Greece!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Why is excessive travel an extenuating circumstance? Maybe they shouldn't be in UEFA competitions if they aren't capable of travelling all over Europe

If what you’re saying is true then Stephen Kenny would still be the manager. Stephen unfortunately was never comfortable in the job. It was too big for him and he didn’t believe in himself. We are not as bad as the results of the last couple of years.

When the new manager is appointed we’ll have a new era. If he’s got any belief in himself he’ll instil that in the players and we can look forward with optimism. The Stephen Kenny thing dragged on too long and people are stuck in a negative loser mindset. Time to move on.

No Stephen Kenny had absolute confidence in himself and the players. He failed to get that across onto the pitch and hence his contract wasn't renewed. Maybe his biggest issue was praising the players ability rather than calling them crap and lowering expectations..

Stephen Kenny did not drag us into a loser mindset, we have been loser more often than winners. Bar the 88-94 generation (Granny Rule) we have never had a sustained period of success, and by that i mean making 3 tournaments out of 4 or 1 in every 2. We have never been set up to any sort of long term success. I don't think that will change for another 10 years as it will take that long for the FAI to catch up to everyone else due to the under investment here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭TokTik

What investment should be happening here? Who should be investing it? And who should be in control of the investments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Booked flights for Finland away this morning.

Bar England at home also I say that be my lot this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,045 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

England/Greece games will be sold as a package I'd say with a lot wanting to offload the Greek tickets

Edit- forgot about tha Hungary friendly, maybe that and England

Post edited by PTH2009 on

The FAI's infrastructure plan for a start. It was the first time the FAI went to Government with a proper plan. It amounted to like 50mil per year over 10 years. That would build on the good work already done by some but not all LOI clubs and further benefit Irish Football. Majority of players going to the UK are coming through the LOI system now. Clubs also need to fight agents and clubs and get better transfer fees for players to further reinvest in the academies. I think the funding could be handled by the Dept of Sport or Sport Ireland because the new FAI doesn't look that different from the old one given the issues they have had. Ringfence the funding for grounds/training grounds/academy staff. The Fact that some category 3 academies in the UK have more full time academy staff than all of the LOI clubs combined. There's many people to blame for that mess so no point rehashing it but we are going in the right direction but need the finances to do it.

Also the leaked FAI plan for final introduce a pyramid structure into Irish football is long overdue and i hope they can bring it through. I'm involved in Junior football and that proposal will affect my club but the greater benefit of summer soccer should be seen across the board. Everyone finally pulling in the same direction is required in Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Cant wait to hear the reception Rice and Grealish get in Dublin, although id say Southgate will "rest" them that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I'd say neither of them would care a jot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,045 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Don't think Southgate will be on the line either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I'd be shocked if he plays Rice in Dublin. Don't think people are as bothered about Grealish, but I'm sure he'd get booed. Probably won't play him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

When will tickets go on sale for the Aviva?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Anyone that still cares about Declan Rice or Jack Grealish obviously has little in their lives to be worrying about

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Will make a break from fans booing a player because he plays for United or Liverpool. Doubt Rice and Southgate will give too **** what fans think about them anyway.

• Advertisement

Really? it seems like he has that job for life.

I think its natural for people to look at the midfield that Ireland has, and wonder what that would look like with Rice and Grealish in there.

I note you did say "care". I don't care about either of them, to be honest.

Hopefully someone does this to Rice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I agree with all of that, except the 4 years. 2 year contracts only for me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Ajax and PSV weighing up Troy Parrott move this summer https://the42.ie/6295320

I think we are in that bad a position i think we have to look to 4 year cycles. Nothing to say you couldnt do a 4 year contract with 2 year break clause and then incentives to stay on. 2 years in my opinion gets us back to short term thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What are you talking about.

Been try to rewrite the history on Kenny for pages now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Recent competitive games have had high attendances. I doubt there will be any need for linking England with Greece. Probably with Hungary alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

When will Carsley be announced as manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Guffy

• Advertisement

I think we need more short term thinking. Results based.

Kenny talked for 4 years about developing a squad for the future while we were embarrassed on the pitch. A few mates of mine wanted Kenny kept on because he would develop the squad more. But he wasn’t developing them to win games.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Posters only seem to be seeing this from the point of view that we should offer a two year contract because it protects the FAI in the event he doesn’t work out.

what about a 4 year contract protecting the FAI in the event it does work out and makes it more expensive for others to take him off us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Might just be force of habit, some have been rewriting Kenny's "achievements" for years.

The big issue I have with going with prioritising results as an overall approach, is what that means for us is that we pack the defence and take few attacking risks and have our primary attacking threat from set pieces.

That might turn a game that would have been a loss into a draw, but really, if we want to qualify for things, we need to figure out a way to win games. That’s going to involve taking more risk. Not losing long enough rarely results in qualification.

There’ll always be games against sides that are on a different planet talent wise where packing the defence and hoping to nick a goal get a draw is the best approach. But for teams closer to us, we need to be able to try and find a way to win.

This is going to sound old fashioned, because it is. But it isn’t any less true.

To turn a losing team into a winning team, first you stop them losing. You do whatever you have to to stop the rot. We’ve become comfortable with losing in the name of progress. How many more “we lost, but 2 players made debuts” interviews.

Ideally we can draw with style. But right now I’d settle for not losing every game.

they/them/theirs

I have no issue with starting with making the team more defensively solid, it just can’t end with that. And we’ve seen before, where we have a priority on immediate results, there’s no room for any sort of progression because trying something or taking risks puts the goal of a result in jeopardy.

But we’ll get nowhere unless we take risks and look to target winning games, not just looking to come away with a point as long as we’re not out of contention.

There's also the fact that someone who might be walking away from a job to take the Ireland job will want some job security.

Think it will be a four year contract in the end with clauses inserted. That though can also bring some downsides because if I'm Carsley just say, and the FAI want to insert clauses that allows them to walk away early for cheap then I want clauses that allow me to walk away cheaply too if things are going good and a better deal comes around.

Where are the FAI getting this €5m a year from?? Magic money tree??

Szmodics with his 17th league goal of the season and 22nd in all competitions. Whatever issues he was having at the end of last year are hopefully sorted and we see him in a green shirt next month.

• Advertisement

They submitted an infrstructure plan to the government looking for funding. Did that slip past you a few months ago?

So you think Trap and MON coming in and saying "these players are crap, what am i suppose to do with them" is a winners mentality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,720 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Kenny had delusions, not confidence. He thought they were playing good football when it was some of the shitest football the national team as ever delivered.

He was objectively bad. Nice guy though and really wanted it to work, but was very apparent that it wasn't going to work out early enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,720 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Remember morons booing a player because they thought he had played for rangers but he never had. First instance was moronic enough but they raised the bar that day

I could be wrong but I don’t remember MON saying that? Have you a quote of MON saying something like that? I recall Trap saying something about the quality of the players when quizzed about his very conservative approach and style he had for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

I doubt MON ever said that, but his style of managing Ireland was on the conservative side. I think any manager who is trying to get results with the current crop will prioritise a defensively sound approach. The only evolution you could realistically hope for is developing the ability to put middling teams to the sword, but that depends on a certain class of player emerging in the right positions. A manager can only do so much if those players aren't available. About time that Ireland isn't relying on some lanky defender to nick goals but rather on a forward of real ability.

His style of management was direct which is in vogue now. When we qualified for Euro 2016 we had a go, it wasn’t conservative. There was pragmatic reasons to play conservatively against Germany and hit on the break. Whoever takes over for the upcoming Nations League I’d imagine a conservative pragmatic approach would be required against an above average England team but get forward when an opportunity arises and maybe be a bit more front foot v Finland or Greece.

This kind of approach is hardly novel. The last manager’s tenure plunged Ireland’s national soccer team into a kind of delusional state of denial littered with excuses that some appear to be still immersed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kenny's approach was just as pragmatic against the bigger sides like France and Portugal etc, defend well and break fast in wide areas. Those were our best performances and in a few cases we were very unlucky not to have gotten more from them - our biggest problems came in games against teams of our own level or lower levels, where we just looked out of ideas.

The new guy will live or die based on what they can do against 3rd 4th 5th seed level teams, where we have to be able to break another team down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

No, they had a dail debate on a labour motion where all sides of the house agreed with the motion to support the needs of football…it was all very lovely and many delegates spoke passionately. And that was kind of it. The next budget ; football got very little.

Exactly. So I’ll revert to my original question to Athlone99. How are the FAI gonna find €5m a year.

The infrastructure plan was approx 50mil per year over 10 years. They have asked the government for that. They probably wont get it. If they dont Irish football will continue to suffer. The clubs dont have the funds to invest in acadamies and improve stadiums. There is no investment in anything without the government.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement