Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There were already rumblings from other teams not being happy that Visa RB would be getting technical help from Red Bull...so it begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I really really hope Albon doesn't go there. Being a number 1 driver at a resurgent midfield team is a much better place than ANY number 2 driver slot top or bottom of the grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭thefa

I don’t know. Red Bull would be a great spot to put himself in a position to win the odd race and collect a lot more podiums. Given the talent pool, it’s very unlikely he’ll ever head up a top team.

I think Mercedes seems on paper a more natural fit but can see why a return to Red Bull would be appealing.

Depends whether he’s happy to play second fiddle to Max again but the team has shown more patience with Perez after the Albon/Gasly experiments and Albon himself is a lot more experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

But they're not the only team to switch to pull rod suspension this year. Unless there's something else there I'm missing?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You can buy suspension off other teams, it's a transferable component.

• Advertisement

No no I know, they are getting the best set up on the grid though, plus there will be plenty of other parts from the main team on it as well, from what I have read.

Seems like it has the RB19s rear and front suspension, not bad parts to have on your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Just watched that, it is interested how much more closely the team will be, not just technically but physically. And the new hires are impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That new Alpha Tauri looks stunning oh sorry I mean VCarb or whatever it is thay are calling themselves now.

Best looking one so far.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Best looking cos it isn't just black carbon fibre

More experienced yes but faster? Smashing Latifi and Sargeant doesn’t exactly scream this guy is ready for Red Bull / Ferrari / Mercedes. If he goes back to Red Bull Verstappen will psychologically destroy him all over again.

Albon will never be champion - he’s a Barrichello/Irvine/Trulli type; ideal number 2 for a title challenger or a number 1 at a mid/lower grid team. Nothing wrong with that, certainly worthy of his place on the grid; the same can’t be said for a few other drivers (including his Williams teammates)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭thefa

Completely agree on his ceiling and I can see how beating Latifi and Sargeant is nothing to write home about. That said, we all knew there was talent in Russell who was limited to comparisons with Lattiffi for the most part before getting a run out in the Merc when Hamilton got Covid. Don’t think he’s at Russell’s level but not fair to dismiss on having a crap teammate particularly when the Williams in 2023 wasn’t a great car but Albon’s qualifying was very competitive at times against better cars.

So I feel like he is faster. I do think he’s capable of improving quali times over Perez, which could be said for a number of options. Of course it’s a possibility that he might melt under the pressure again but you would hope that’s where the added experience came in.

Let’s put it this way, I’m not sure is he the best driver that might be available to Red Bull, bringing the certainty and ability someone like Sainz would if still available, but might be a very good fit if they remain the dominant car. Has he shown less than say Ricciardo recently?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭quokula

His pace relative to Latifi was far better than Russell's performance the year before if you look at laptime analyses. If he had the chance to take Hamilton's seat (though if I was Merc I'd target Sainz or try to poach Norris first) he'd have a great chance of being their number 1 driver and being a title contender there. He's obviously nowhere near the level of a Verstappen or an Alonso, but we've seen drivers no better than him like Rosberg and Villeneuve win titles by being in the right place at the right time.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Albon is also a very canny driver. Himself, Sainz and Alonso come across as the drivers being most clued into what's going on, which definitely stands for something.

Russell might be faster in raw pace, but he's not as clever a driver and has a tendency to have people turn into him (definitely not his fault, definitely the other drivers are wrong...)

Ms

Well it looks like the investigation against Christian Horner will not conclude before they launch there new car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭rameire

I believe Ferrari have gone with red for their colour scheme this year to change things up.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭rameire

And Daft Punk are the pit crew.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Ms

Awe I was sure they were going to go for a yellow and maroon car this year lol.

Red it is so.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

No "special" liveries this season?.

Also bravo to that post!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I do like that the social media admin have good craic with each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Five car launches this week.

Aston Martin - Today 12th of February.

Ferrari - Tomorrow 13th of February.

Mercedes and McLaren - 14th of February.

Red Bull - 15th of February.

Pre-season testing begins next week.

I know WTF1 is spiritually continued with P1 podcast/YouTube, but I do miss their social media championship thing they used do in the internet's best reaction video...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,109 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Confirmation that merc have changed their rear suspension concept for this year. (as am have to use the same suspension as merc and theirs is changed)

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The new Aston, cracker.

• Advertisement

Now just develop this one throughout the season please...

Advertisement