Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My figures were from this similar PDF: https://mmo.aiircdn.com/301/632c53a61a2db.pdf, which admittedly are a couple of months older than yours, so you can give or take a couple of thousand - but the substance doesn't change.

Look, the weekly figures for the ENTIRE Wireless Ireland sable of stations is 759,000. That's across 6 separate regional stations - in no universe does LMFM account for more than half of that. Forget about splitting hairs, back to the original claim: there's no way LMFM's weekly listenership is comparable to Times Radio. It was a careless comparison at best.

No one is claiming that this interview is Frost/Nixon, but lets not pretend that it's meaningless that he's getting coverage in the UK - especially when people on this thread have been specifically asking about such coverage. You can't just ignore it because it's inconvenient to your agenda. Well, you can, of course - but it's not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

..."lets not pretend that it's meaningless that he's getting coverage in the UK - especially when people on this thread have been specifically asking about such coverage...."

Come on, from a sister station with a reason for doing so! Hardly an independent act of interest in him.

So you can instantly dismiss any potential coverage he gets in abut 25% of the UK's media landscape as an inexplicable Murdoch conspiracy to promote (checks notes...) a failed Irish hack out of his depth in a foreign market. Handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Sure, LMFM has fewer listeners than Times Radio. But it cannot be ignored that Times Radio is a minor, minor player and is part of the same group of stations as Virgin and as such the coverage is close to meaningless. He really could have been pulled in to do that interview to cover for a "no show" guest.

If he's profiled in the Times of London then we can start to sit up and take notice.

Anyway, that's a bit of a sideshow.

I'm more amazed and fascinated with how really terrible his offering is on Virgin/Q102 and how it has lasted even this long. But that's my problem.

I'm not contributing financially to it and that brings me great joy on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

He played Alicia Keys "Lifeline" and iirc commenced his link with "Haha I'm gonna play that for JOE DUFFY, cos he does a programme called LIVE LINE". If I were a PD, I would be holding my hands up whilst shrugging my shoulders! Does he not realise that talking UP the competition is a complete No-No even on public, commercial or state run radio? - This is crazy stuff.

Someone even further up the food chain at the News UK building HAS GOT to be listening and wondering what are we doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

What’s Livelive says the 5 U.K. based listeners as they scratch their heads!

Post edited by GSF on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Tow

You could get your 'Pink Slip' in the BBC for mentioning a brand name.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

I think you’d be safe if it’s so obscure nobody knows what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

If he did actually raise eyebrows in an interview piece then it's entirely probable that the cloud he left Ireland under will also raise eyebrows.

Someone mentioned way back in this thread that when Gerry Ryan died UK radio commentators were amazed at RTE salaries. Damned if his profile rises, damned if it doesn't.

Although pics of snorting cocaine were thought to end Kate Moss's career, but they didn't. On the other hand a pic of Ed Miliband awkwardly eating a sandwich supposedly lost an election for Labour. Crazy world.

No, you wouldn't.

Section 14.3.1 of the BBC Editorial Guidelines states:

14.3.1 We need to be able to reflect the real world and this will involve referring to products and services in our output. A product can include references to organisations, to people, such as artists or performers, or to artistic works, such as films, books or musical tracks. However, there must be no undue prominence of products, services or trade marks in our content. To avoid this we must:

ensure that visual and aural references, including verbal and musical references, to products, services, trade marks, brand names and slogans are editorially justified

Any BBC presenter would be perfectly fine at simply mentioning another radio show or presenter in passing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Nice bit of publicity there for Ryan on The Times pod. Haven't listened myself.

It might drive a few curiuos regular Times listeners/readers over to Virgin to give him a bit of an ol' listen.

I wonder what Glen from Tunbridge Wells or Margo from Lymington Spa would make of it? I fear they might think it's a NI Protocol or part of the Good Friday Agreement to have an Irish show on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

He's a born politician in my view, it's in his veins.

Dion Fanning mentioned on his podcast that he interviewed both Tubs and Leo Varadkar. He was astonished how Leo was such a unnatural Irish politician. Didn't work the room, didn't have a word for everyone. Wasn't your typical back slapping 'Hupyaboya' TD. He contrasted that with Tubs, who was the very definition of that forced bonhomie act.

Of course, he would never run for local or national politics because it would involve actual accountability and a lot of hard work. The presidency is the only political office he would every consider because it's ceremonial and comes with lots of downtime!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think maybe the last 12 months has burned his bridges in that potential job as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Without doubt. Even pre June '23, I don't think Tubs would come out on top in a presidential election unless the field was exceptionally weak. I think most would see him as a Dana like figure. Now? He hasn't a chance imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

He started Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For A Hero" and should of let it finish but approximately 1 minute later, interrupted the track with waffle - destroying any listeners potential enjoyment of the song, a debilitating symptom of Montrose culture and attitude to music radio for which music can be regarded as filler for the waffler- nothing more, nothing less. During his waffling, the track was replaced quickly with "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" From experience in music radio, you can be assured that THAT did not go down well with the folks behind glass.

I would say the post show meeting would be interesting and is probably still in progress as I press Post Comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is almost at "village idiot on tour" level for the UK audience at this stage. That Times Radio interview didn't help.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

Your claim that you ' certainly are not a fan' and are just calling it like it is, is getting more and more suspicious with every post.

• Advertisement

Look, there's plenty - plenty - of things to criticize Tubridy for. But being interviewed by The Times is not one of them. If stating that puts me on Noel Kelly's payroll in anyone's eyes, they need to have a serious look at their grasp of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Any attempt at balance or nuance is seen as suspicious around here. It’s either piss and vinegar or you’re on the NK payroll. It’s bizarre stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Neferteena

Whilst I try to resist being pernickitty, I can't help myself

Can we not forget the basket

That's chicken & chips in a basket with Mammy. Such a gastronmical complex dish not served in Ireland since the mid 80's,,& only invented to circumvent the alcohol license restrictions for night clubs at the time (No food = no alcohol ).

On a fun note, his Brexit spin could read

'Mammy is beginning to feel the heat now about our company Tuttle Productions declaring the €150k to the taxman. Revenue have been in touch, & what with me living in Big Wonderful London now, the place with bookshops, tubes, buses trains & laundrreetes, and her living in Ireland, she's the responsible company director now. She's pissed off that I buggered off to the UK & left her in the mire. I'll be coming back to the 'auld sod' imminently to practice imaginary podcasting & faux phone holding.(Vogue taught me well)

Don't worry, I'll still pretend to read books & bombard deaf & indifferent audiences with my vacuous pseudo nerdy non facts. So staye tuned, the king of mid morning misert will be back to waffle on another day. & if Noel can swing it, I'll get an Oireachtas appearance too'. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your balance and nuance here is appreciated 👍

I thought the same myself at times Bobson. Then I noticed that posts on here directly critiquing RT's show, with suggestions of improvements, well, those changes were manifested on RT's show.

Now I'm not saying coincidence isn't a thing, it really is, but I'm keeping an open mind that the fantasy projections may well have a basis in truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Politically, the situation might be quite different to that of previous presidential elections. There's also the issue of RTE people not being fans of Tubridy. In previous elections, RTE's coverage was crucial in getting candidates elected. Tubridy could have been the proxy FF candidate. However, the 150K question would be a campaign killer from the start.

Regards...jmcc

And of course, her show is broadcast at the palatable hour of 22.00 mon-thurs. No competition to BBC Question Time (Tv) on a Thursday night in election year.

And RT's contribution to the interview is all past tense, his grandfather & cousins, his move to London & basic shopping tasks, & the LLS. If he'd the sense he was born with he'd have uptalked a really good interview on TLLS show that would have created Google bait. Of course he didn't, he's as thick as a bucket of bricks in terms of that kind of savvy. Too narcissistic to see past himself, & too exhausted playing catch up to the pseudo nerd image he's invented for himself.

Whatever the time, & whatever the gig, Tubs has nothing else to offer an interview besides My big adventure moving to London, & did you know who my granddad was?

Nothing else to bring to the table, no other stock in trade, just witter witter witter.

I'll run a suggestion for the title of his next book

'Let them eat waffle'

A non riveting chronicle of a 50 yr old Irish radio & TV presenter who was forced to move to lowly DJ job the UK after being mugged by God in a hoodie. This is the story of his desperate needy climb back to public relevance, after he nepoostitically had it all, as well as €150k if v the taxpayers money.

Guidance warning to the reader

This book may cause extreme sleepiness. Please read responsibly,, and do not attempt to operate machinery, or indulge in intellectual conversion while reading this book. An expurgated Ladybird version is available on line @ dumdumreads.com

Harsh. Like I said, not one is saying it's Frost/Nixon, but it's springtime, and a gentle tale of renewal and new starts from a stranger in a strange land seems inoffensively appropriate to the neutral observer.

As for the broadcast time, we're in the digital age - anything can be recorded or consumed at any time, day or night. Hardly an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The idea that Tubs, Noel Kelly, or anyone in Virgin reads this thread or twitter comments is absolutely laughable. It might provide an emotional support blanket and a sense of belonging and community to participants, but like so much commentary online it needs to be recognised for what it is; anger, misanthropy, jealousy, negativity and bleakness. There’s very little criticism involved.

Some of it is quite tragic tbh, especially on Twitter. You hope some of these people can find some level of peace and contentment.

I’m sure Tubs is off having a pint, a smoke and meeting friends or reading a book at this stage.

• Advertisement

• Re the Presidency, Joe Duffy likely has his beady eye on that, and the timing of his retirement from contracting with RTE would be perfect.

Advertisement