Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If I only had one car and it was the Seal with right hand side indicators I wouldn't be worried about it, just need a week or two to learn the new muscle memory. Problem is like a lot of others have mentioned we are a 2 car family and I could imagine a lot of frustration switching between the cars with different indicator stalks.

Hard to know about right hand side indicators devaluing the car but a very simplistic scenario would be if I was looking to but a 2nd hand seal and they were both roughly the same price, spec, age, condition etc and one was left hand indicator and one was right I would go for the left hand indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

It's how the vast majority of product decisions are made once it meets regulations. Manufacturers are designing less efficient and cramped interior crossovers with worse driving characteristics only becasue customers demand this. Same as VV returning back to physical buttons on steering wheels and backlit AC controls after the outcry. Creates for a better product as in this case having the stalks the wrong way around while a small detail has put a few people off.

BYD and manufacturers in general aren't stupid and won't blindly follow the "shoutiest folks" but will take on board any product feedback to improve its attractiveness. What took VW years, BYD did in months, similarly with OTA updates which especially in more established markets have addressed customer's main issues such as noise generator and active assists in a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Feedback from who ?

No one asked me I test drove a few and own one. So how is it not the shoutiest folks. Arguably car journalists...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

I for one was told when chatting to sales guy and giving my opinion on it that it is passed on to BYD and in the conversation he confirmed the stalks will be changed.

All car manufacturers get feedback not only from journalist reviews but public launches and throughout their dealer networks and service centres. It's the basis of continual refinements of cars that often culminate in mid-cycle refreshes which Chinese manufacturers are very quick at being in an a much more competitive market than Europe. With cars being hugely software based now, it's becoming even quicker to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BrianOgre

So basically exactly what I said in my post...Most families have 2 cars. My kids also have their own cars and still live at home so I drive 5 cars periodically. Never any mention of changing stalk around at test drive. I would have held out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

In a year or 2, when there’s 2 of the same spec available, I know I’d go for the one with it on the left. I’m sure there’s many that it won’t effect but the average joe will want them on the left. Same way there’s many that won’t buy the Tesla because there’s none!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

At least in the new Model 3 the buttons are on left hand side so should be easy for anyone used to motorbikes. But I will reserve judgement until I drive one.

it is too confusing for my simple mind constantly changing sides when I drive multiple cars daily. And worse if rotary controls on end of stalks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BrianOgre

Exactly that. Me too......Just on a side note, If anyone like me drives through the Walkinstown X (circa 6 times per day) they might consider knocking off the AEB. When looking to make your swift break with a car cutting across the roundabout three quarters of the way past you, suddenly you try to accelerate and the car violently brakes and nearly throws you out the window. Has happened too many times. Not a pleasant experience I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I'd say in reality the members on here are the 1% of EV drivers.

Most won't even know about it, and plenty of people will just be trading their car into a garage where the dealer won't give a crap about which side the stalk is on.

I agree I'd have preferred it on the left, I drive two cars on a daily basis and I'm used to it now, but still get caught the odd time.

Would I have waited a month for my car with no guarantee that it would have been on the left anyway? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

With regards the whole left/right indicator stalk discussion it's interesting to note that in the manual for the European right hand drive model all the images show the indicator stalk on the left

Go here and look for BYD SEAL Owner's Manual-Right-hand Drive-EN(61.5M)

• Advertisement

Checked my car health settings and I noticed the smart service reminders are not activated also the days and the mileage periods are innacurate. Does anyone have these setup correctly ? Are they meant to be set by the garage ?..

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

On a test drive tomorrow, looking forward to it (rwd) anything specifically to look out for ? Someone commented one wind noise and steering vibration.

Check the demo has the latest software. The newer sw is night and day from last Nov model. It has intrusive driver assistance and engine noises neither of which are good.

As said before, I've driven 3 including my own the cabin is very quiet and wind noise wasn't or isn't an issue.

Enjoy it , see if it suits you.

Cheers, driving the new M3 as well so be a good comparison to test them side by side on the same day

I don't think they'll let you drive them together you might have to drive one after the other. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jobrien19

This is exactly what we did. The Seal looks far superior however the M3 drives way better. I really wanted to like the Seal but for the price I felt it was too much. Interior and exterior both are stunning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

I did not notice either on my test drive. But I suspect you could feel vibration if battery actively heating or ac on strongly. I do notice certain minor vibrations and noises in my Model 3 but is perfectly normal when battery heating

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

Would you mind asking the rep if BYD intend following the price reductions of Tesla and VW? We have been holding off ordering for the time being to see if there's any movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

No sales rep is likely to have that information, and if he did, I doubt he'd disclose it.

From a sales perspective it would not make sense to pre advise future price reductions.

Might also add tesla are on a fire sale which outwardly seems to be attempt to boost their revenue figures as wall street are pressing on their valuation.

BYD don't have such concerns right now and by all accounts they've had a very successful launch of all their recent vehicles. They've no need to drop prices . Rather lower prices of next model types (different vehicles) not saying they're can't be movement but there doesn't apparently seem to be a need for then to do so.

• Advertisement

Saw a new M3 for 41.5 k on tesla Ireland inventory. Really want the range the seal has as well as the premium feel inside. Have a well spec'd e class so kinda fond of the luxurious feel 😊

Model 3 RWD is €41,832. That’s the normal price. It will average in and around 15-16 kWh/100km but it has a smaller battery than the RWD Seal. Which I think is about 80’ish? Maybe someone can confirm?

Whats the real world range of the RWD Seal anyone? 400-500km?

M3 is probably a realistic 400’ish km?

That's the thing for me, the extra 100km to have the range at 500 real world for M3 in rwd would be the sweet spot, at the 41.8 ish price point 😊

Battery is 82.2 usable.

Rwd range around winter appears to be the solid guts of 460.

Our AWD is getting around 410. However my wife bolts it around the place and runs the heat at 25 on 3/4 blast fan.

So it's hard for me to get a real person feel for it 😆

I think 500km for the M3 would be tough. You’re into LR figures there and Richard Symons done a range test recently in one.

Remember its battery is only 60 kWh (57.5) useable in the RWD M3. The Seal has 25 kWh more to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Serious question. Is anyone concerned about the access that the Chinese state will have to data from and potential remote control of control of electric cars sold in Europe?

Serious response. Alot of your network equipment in your home and across telecoms is the country is.... guess where from... shocking I know huaweii are a household brand over two decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭MakersMark

I understand that and don't have any Huawei devices in my house. I do think there is a genuine concern with the Chinese state and access to data worldwide.

Having said that the byd cars do seem great, but I would have a worry.

• Advertisement

You don't ok that may be the case but you understand it's in th3 exchange down your street and it the data centre up the road and in the telecoms noc controlling your broadband.

Just want to put in context your 'concerns'. People often assume they know alot about a subject based on the latest headlines to come out of the US machine. But often don't comprehend the level of integration their daily lives have on Chinese made equipment.

Advertisement