Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Most of the young men showing up and claiming asylum are uneducated, have little or no English and are costing the taxpayers of this country money from the second they get here.

Yet you never mention them in your posts.

Nobody has an issue with legal immigration to fill jobs in the Health service, hospitality and in various other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

It should be given out very sparingly.

The government are more than happy to show they're refusal rates for asylum/subsidiary protection as proof that they're just not letting anyone in.

And then grant leave to remain status at such a high rate that practically all get to remain anyway.

And even the people that don't get this can continue to live here illegally until an amnesty comes along.

The government are benefiting from a complaint media that don't challenge them enough.

As seen by Denmark they're plenty of things that can be done to make a country less attractive to asylum seekers, rather than just putting your hands up an saying "we've international obligations" ad nauseum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well, the problem with refugees and asylum seekers is it is impossible to pick and choose who arrives - a 69 year old has as much right to claim asylum as an 18 year old, a disabled person as much right as a healthy person etc. That's the nature of the asylum thing, it's not really conducted in the same way as 'regular' immigration of workers and students.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

"I'm sure there are legitimate and illegitimate reasons for claiming asylum without documentation"

This is where we completely disagree, there's many arrivals coming here deliberately destroying their documentation on arrival from safe countries and your "I'm sure" it's a valid reason!! Its more the reason for our authorities unable to deport these guys because they destroyed their passport. This is most infuriating thing is bogus asylum claims and absolute joke of system where we're sending out a message for others to arrive doing the same thing!

Imagine for example, John from Morocco(safe-country) or Georgia(safe -country) got a plane to Paris, already in a safe traveling to France another safe country then proceeds to get a Ryanair plane to Dublin.

Oops my passports fell into the toilet crazy that, Mmmm could I calm asylum please?. It's pre-planned bogus asylum claims.

What you haven't shown is where that becomes a security issue?

So you're completely fine with arrivals presenting absolutely no information about themselves. The majority of these people I'd guess imo are fine but a huge drain on our taxes costing us billions but as in security but not everyone, again why destroy your passport you used to board the plane if you're coming into the country of refugee.

Where IP arrivals somehow need a level of 'background check' or 'vetting' that people arriving with visas don't receive.

People with visas have passports/ documentation, jobs/college place, their own accommodation and financial support!

"IP" or "Asylum seekers" arrivals are deliberately destroying their passports/ documentation coming from safe countries. The Dept of Justice even acknowledge this

"I can see no other explanation for these calls for 'vetting' other than it's extremely ill-informed or intended as scaremongering. But feel free to offer a better explanation if you can."

Unbelievable arrogance "extremely ill-informed or intended as scaremongering" - I never again said in my previous few comments about vetting but more we need some information with anyone coming into our community either with any sort of screening systems available from EMEA partners why again are these people destroying their passports? All or the majority of those arriving are watching how to guides(which are online, take a look if you like) on TicTok, YT, X on how to scam into Ireland, destroying their passports or ID upon arrival is 1 of these steps...

Immigration is needed but controlled and a complete over-halt over the current system, last month we've the most asylum seekers arriving here in around 20 years because of our poor controls via the boarder. Denmark, Belgium and other EU countries have closed up shop and have a complete cope-on process & procedures with deporting people back to the safe countries they're arriving from.

Extreme ill informed or intended scaremongering, made me laugh.

"Nineteen airlines flying into Ireland have been contacted by the Department of Justice about allowing international protection applicants on to aircraft without proper documentation" https://www.irishtimes.com/transport/2023/02/03/airlines-told-to-do-more-to-stop-people-arriving-without-documentation/

"Figures released by the Department to Newstalk on Friday show there were more than 5,000 applicants for international protection between January and November last year who entered the State with either false or no documentation."

5000 applicants for IP arrived with false or no documentation within 11 months, but am sure your answer in your previous reply "I'm sure there are legitimate and illegitimate reasons for claiming asylum without documentation" , sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

For a viewpoint to have legitimacy it has to be argued and successfully defended with logic.

If the government wants to defend the current immigration situation they should be able to do so easily with facts and figures.

The fact that they don't and resort to vague and often emotional claims really shows the poor state of their argument.

If people can't get housing, a GP, a creche or school place or get left behind by a Luas that's absolutely crammed they're going to need a bit more of an argument than "they're hard workers and tax payers/international obligations" to accept the hardship that they have in their life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Yes I know people are making bogus asylum claims, that's what I meant by 'illegitimate reasons for claiming asylum without documentation'.

I thought that was clear, but apologies if it wasn't.

What you haven't shown, again, is where somebody arriving as an IP, with or without documentation, is more of a risk that somebody with a visa?

As far as I can see, if I wanted to arrive in Ireland as a criminal or a terrorist, it would actually be easier to do so with a visa or work-permit, than by seeking asylum.

If you want to make an argument about the economic impact of IP, that's one thing, but where you're trying to conflate that with the need for 'vetting' and 'background checks', is where it looks very much to me that you just want to engage in scaremongering.

Scaremongering nope, Bogus asylum seekers yes.

Scaremongering nope, unchecked people arriving into the country either it be Canada to Afghanistan "Could" be a security risk. We don't know who they are. People with Visa's arrive with documentation, I've said this a million times.

Scaremongering nope, asking for better boarder enforcement like our EU partners deporting people back to the safe countries they arrived from is a pretty easy ask. This will deter others from arriving here without documentation hence stop this mess!

Yes they arrive with documentation.

But that documentation doesn't mean they are 'vetted' or have 'background checks' performed.

Arrive as IP and your biometric data is taken, will be recorded, and can be checked to prevent serious crime and terrorism. You'll also be subject to quite rigorous recorded interviews, checking for any inconsistencies or falsehoods in your life story.

Like I said, make your argument about bogus asylum cases if you like, but turning that into a security issue is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭suvigirl

' During the late 1980s and early 1990s, severe cutbacks in health expenditure led to the closure of thousands of hospital beds, with the number of beds per 1,000 people now substantially below the OECD average (3 versus 4.7 in 2015).”

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And increasing the population artificially is going to do what???

Make it worse

• Advertisement

The right to work is a fundamental right under our constitution and has been found to apply to asylum seekers by the highest court in our land.

People from the UK and EU don't, and they vastly outnumber those that arrive without documents. Are you worried about the security risks from them?

No one has done that.

1.5 million Irish born live overseas. Approx 1 million foreign born live in Ireland. There has been no artificial increase in population

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Statistically you're wrong. A lower proportion of immigrants work than native born Irish. See the statistics below. A big problem with the huge amount of immigration over the past twenty years (1 million people added to our population - increasing it by fully 25%), is that a disproportionate number of them are relying on social welfare and are a drain on resources, especially housing. We have the right to return anyone who stays here from another EU country for more than 3 years and stays on social welfare during that time - however we NEVER do this, nor do we make any attempt to track it. That prick Josef Puska had been here for 10 years, living off the state and getting free housing for himself and his slovak wife (and now his Irish born kids). He hadn't was on welfare for basically all of that time. He is far from rare. A fair amount of people move here from poorer European countries just for the benefits. And why wouldn't they? Since we never, ever remove them.

Sorry but your claim that "if they were genuinely a major burden on the country and dragging it down, immigration would surely have been banned many years ago" is just laughably naive. They ARE a major burden on this country, there is just no way it's possible to claim otherwise. The only reason you don't realize this is that we collect vast amounts of corporate tax from tech companies to book their profits here. Instead of that money being spent on building out the country's infrastructure it's being wasted on social welfare and housing payments for immigrants. FFS - Dublin could have had a subway a decade ago if we'd actually invested this money on infrastructure instead of pissing it away on people who are gaming our system because it is "policed" by the likes of Helen McEntee.

Source for the above claim: https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp11eoi/cp11eoi/lfnmfl/

In the year prior to April 2016, 82,346 persons arrived to live in Ireland, of which 72,419 were aged 15 or over. Just over 34 per cent (24,768) of this group were Irish nationals and 47,651 were non-Irish nationals. Among the Irish group the labour force participation rate was 76.8 per cent while among non-Irish it was almost 10 percentage points lower at 67.4 per cent.

What people from the UK and EU don't have documents like passport and or any ID, they do!!!

If they posed any kind of security threat I'd imagine we've be informed by Interpol or any security service like police MI6 etc...

People arriving without documents or any source of ID, they are maliciously destroying their own documents and claiming bogus asylum.

If they posed any kind of security threat, we have no information on whom they really are or where they're really from. Again as I pointed out nearly the majority of IP seekers imo are fine but are using bogus claims without any sort of ID or fake ID's to gain access here.

How is this scaremongering? it's what is actually happening here! Trying to compare apples and pears here saying that anyone from the EU have no documentation like a passport traveling around clutching at straws here.

Am open to help and do our part helping real refugee and or asylum seekers with proper controls like Belgium and Denmark have start doing the past while or so.

Do you think Belgium, Denmark and other EU countries that are enforcing their boarder asking people for ID and deporting those who don't have ID as scaremongers too?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's interesting though the 2022 census shows only a marginally higher percentage of 9% non Irish unemployed to 8% Irish unemployed.

.https://emn.ie/labour-force-participation-of-migrants/#:~:text=There%20were%20420%2C465%20non%2DIrish,increase%20of%2021%25%20since%202016.

Sorry your thesis that immigrants are a major burden is untrue.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

But if we reduce capacity don't we reduce said capacity faster than if the building didn't burn down?

If memory serves at least one of these buildings was meant for our homeless so refugees and asylum seekers, to use the proper terms, are unaffected by it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Yes, but as the next line of the link says…

“This lower participation rate can in part be attributed to higher numbers of students among this group. Just over 10 per cent of Irish immigrants were students compared with almost 22 per cent of non-Irish immigrants”

Plus, in 2015 we hardly had a booming economy. The overall unemployment rate was 9.91%.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Probably explained by the large number children, particularly the one's fleeing Ukraine, still in school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

I posted about this in December, but for reference see pg 51 of this document;

Most EU member states cross check IPA data against VIS and SIS databases, Ireland does not, for immigration purposes. We opted out. We run checks only after a crime has been committed.

So other countries are running background checks but some here would have you believe we can’t, because ‘racist’. We can, but we don’t.

Well aware those checks won’t flag someone whose criminality/missing person alert is not recorded on an existing database, and are useless if false information is supplied with no documentation for verification - but it’s an obvious and basic first step for security.

We’ve most definitely been gaslit about ‘rigorous process’. I believe it’s linked in peoples’ minds to the lengthy process of application - a drawn out, poorly administrated process does not equal ‘rigorous’.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭combat14

none of the buildings are for "our" homeless everyone at this stage know what the buildings are planned for thats the sentiment unfortunately out there

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

"In the year prior to April 2016, 82,346 persons arrived to live in Ireland, of which 72,419 were aged 15 or over. Just over 34 per cent (24,768) of this group were Irish nationals and 47,651 were non-Irish nationals. Among the Irish group the labour force participation rate was 76.8 per cent while among non-Irish it was almost 10 percentage points lower at 67.4 per cent."

Queue the next point in the pro no-caps-immigration crowd to say that Irish employers are racist and as a society we have a racist outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

When people are born in Ireland we usually have around two decades to plan housing for their needs, half a decade to plan their education needs, implement long-term economic policies to ensure that there is a vibrant labour market for them.

When someone lands in unannounced on a plane we have to scramble for all of the above.

It's running a country 101 to any normal person.

However for some on here and the government + opposition by large they really need to pick up a copy of:

Thanks but the Vis and sis databases don't equate to a 'vetting' system.

They won't give a picture of someone's background from when they lived outside the EU, apart from the most serious cases which would be with Interpol.

Does Ireland have an alternative system for checking Ipa's with Interpol?

Further it seems that the same process applies regardless of Ipa's arriving with or without a passport?

After that it still doesn't seem to me that there's a greater security risk based on applying as an IPA or with a visa, given that visa applicants don't face an interview process.

Thanks but the Vis and sis databases don't equate to a 'vetting' system.

They won't give a picture of someone's background from when they lived outside the EU, apart from the most serious cases which would be with Interpol.

Does Ireland have an alternative system for checking Ipa's with Interpol?

Further it seems that the same process applies regardless of Ipa's arriving with or without a passport?

After that it still doesn't seem to me that there's a greater security risk based on applying as an IPA or with a visa, given that visa applicants don't face an interview process.

Do you think we're doing a good job of meeting the housing needs of people born in Ireland otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

So the 100,000 Irish living in Australia are a huge burden on that country then and dragging it down.....when would you like them to return?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

You are parroting the government line which has been taken apart many times.

The fingerprints are taken, but journalists have found that no actual checks are carried out - in fact no requests to check against EU databases were made AT ALL in a recent year.

But the bigger point is these checks will not tell us if these people are criminals in their home countries of Algeria, Somalia etc. These are countries with barely functioning electricity grids, never mind robust crime databases that we can easily cross reference. This is government misinformation so please don't come out with this line again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement