Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dishwasher Tripping Sockets

• 23-01-2024 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

So as the title says the dishwasher is tripping all the sockets in the house. It’s turned on/off by a switch on the wall. I cannot see the plug or behind the dishwasher. Is it just best to get an electrician?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭meercat

If you’re 100% sure it’s the dishwasher then you need a domestic appliance repair company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭standardg60

Well i'd at least pull the dishwasher out and check the cable, then i'd plug something else into the socket and eliminate that, then plug the dishwasher into a different socket to confirm a problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Probably a water leak inside somewhere. Don't bother getting someone out to look at it - they'll charge you 60 quid and tell you that the part is unserviceable and need to be replaced - this is probably the motor/pump assembly which is pretty much a sealed unit nowadays - which will not be financially viable. Just buy a new one really, unless you're handy and don't mind having a go yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Getting someone to look at it today, cheers all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Let us know how that goes; I'm in agreement with @T-Maxx that it's usually a fruitless exercise getting somebody out if the appliance is more than around 6 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

i suggest that you pull the dishwasher out. You may find a water leak behind due to a leaky hose or bad water connection. When removed test the socket with another appliance such as a kettle. If this works it points to the dishwasher being the issue.

In my experience some manufacturers such as Neff and Bosch can be repaired others can’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Any update?

...been refreshing here for a week hoping for a blow-by-blow myself... 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Generally speaking there are only two components that should cause it to trip the rcd , the circulation pump and the heating element, all other components double insulated, very rarely where the three core lead terminates at the mains filter it will short but usually you will hear a loud bang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dishwashers pushed right up against a wall are know to cause overheating and a cable pressed right up to the casing can melt, it's not uncommon. Air gaps between wall or rear of cabinet are necessary for any heated equipment and cables should be fixed out of heat zones.

In this case the OP should have pulled the dishwasher out from wall to check the flex was sound. Even plugs that are installed right behind the machine and pressed up against the rear casing can melt . Concentrated high heat and draw for extended periods and no air flow.

• Advertisement

I have worked on them regularly for over 4 decades and never come across where the mains lead has melted from touching the rear of the cabinet but maybe you have found otherwise

It's happens, https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/plug-melted-to-dishwasher.128692/#gsc.tab=0

it's why your socket shouldn't be installed directly behind the unit. Switched Fused spur is best or adjacent cabinet out of the heat zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭meercat

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

From a washing machine I changed last week. The plugtop is fine, just the tar substance from back of machine.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

I have looked through the electricians forum you have listed but it refers to an integrated dishwasher, this was bound to happen as all integrated dishwashers should be installed with plumbing and electrics offset, so the fitter of the dw forced the machine back up against the plug top/ socket when fitting .I agree with you fully as regards the correct procedure for the wiring. The photo of the plugtop with the melted sound deadening material I would think came from a dishwasher rather than a washer

Stop moving the goalposts horse. It's a risk it happens poor install can contribute to it.

It still could be the heater element all the same - they can direct-short L to N and pop the breaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

How would that occur or maybe im missing the obvious i don't be at them much

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Some dishwashers have a cold "rinse only" program that doesn't energise the heating element. Might shed some more light on the situation if that program completes.

Often there's a water feed pipe at the back of the unit for the upper spray arm. Sometimes the seal degrades, even slightly, causing water to seep down into the bottom of the dishwasher leading to the earth fault. The typical scenario would be it works again after a while (when the water has evaporated) but will cause a trip after heavy use (put on several times in quick succession). You could try (after plugging it out) tipping the unit backwards towards the 45 degree point and see if water escapes.

Of course, there are many possible culprits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Bitteen more detail would help.

• Does it trip once you switch on wall switch, or does the cycle require running?
    • Does it trip immediately at cycle start or at a specific time during cycle?
    • As it knocks out all sockets, I assume it is tripping RCD? Does it ever, also trip the MCB?

Now, if it is solely switch on wall which is tripping an RCD, with the dishwasher isolated (plugged out), it could be faulty switch, cable from switch to socket or even moisture from cleaning of tiles ingressed to switch.

One step at a time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement