Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

About a decade ago I lived abroad in a country that had a deposit return scheme, but also household waste was paid through normal taxation. In Ireland it really is a joke. Some places, you buy a bin tag in the shop which you put on your bin, other places, they just send you an invoice once a year. When the bin tag blows away in a gale, your bin doesnt get collected. So, you have to wait another week or two with rotting rubbish. And then they wonder why fly tipping is such an issue here.

If the green party took their head out of the clouds, they could make real major improvements to this country, and that should start with waste collection and disposal.

The report from 2022 said we were already doing 60% returned, with 90% recovery. If ReTurn use the same figures, then RePak is already a success without turning a single RVM on..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Don't understand your logic at all. The 60% will improve and the recovery rate staying the same would mean more is recycled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i think his point is: he means if return uses the same figures/numbers/yields the same results as, then re-pak already achieved what re-turn did, but without ever having to use RVM's to achieve the same result

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Well that will be proven one way or the other but extremely unlikely recycling will not increase as a result

• Advertisement

What does your question mean? I am saying recycling will most likely increase they said things would be the same time will tell

I am trying to get a straight answer from you. You said recycling will not increase. Can you clarify the point you were trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

I think @Ray Palmer used a double negative there 'extremely unlikely / will not', i.e. extremely likely to increase.

Recycling was trending to increase anyway, and just because Re-turn may increase recycling at a faster rate does not necessarily prove or validate that re-turn was the only possible way to do that. I would advocate that we need to de-focus on recycling and focus on reuse, so I am not all that excited by an increase in recycling.

If anything, the adoption of these schemes across EU means that plastic will continue to be the preferred container type across Europe - all that investment in plastic production, bottling, recycling and not to mention the billions invested in RVMs across the continent is not going to be unwound too easily - plastic is going to be disposable-after-one-use for 100s of billions of items p.a. for another couple of decades.

From my perspective I have changed behavior so that I can completely avoid re-turn. This is overall for the better: I have reduced my single use plastic / aluminium to a minimum.

As I personally "decrease" recycling at my home; unfortunately I can't escape the fact that anything I do is going to cost me more than before in collection charges.

There are very few, I might even say that there are no incentives for consumers to do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

In respect to "plastic recycling" since stats show 71% is being incinerated so one may ask why the feck bother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The coke zero barcode pre-scheme is different to that going into trade now. Same with Coca-Cola original.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Just to be clear, doing a job for the state (or any entity) and getting paid for it would make you an employee

If I were to pay the same price for my can of Guinness as before the DRS I'd probably not bother returning the can, I'm sure many others would do the same, therefore defeating the purpose

The only people this scheme punishes are the minority who don't pass an RVM on their way to do the shopping and policy should never be made to convenience the minority over the greater good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

because at the minimum it keeps it out of landfill and all the toxic leachate that it produces since the landfill goes anaerobic.

FYI, once you close a landfill, the LA has to look after it for 25 30 years due to this

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Yes that is true, but returning cans to an RVM is not a job, and not something someone decides to do "for the state" either. There's no boss or no contract of employment either. it's cash in hand and revenue created via voluntary actions.

Also this scheme itself inconveniences the majority. This is the public being forced to pay the cost for the countries politics/political beliefs yet once again, this time its green related, and because EU put the wind up ireland and the irish members of state, for the country mucking around and not recycling properly or meeting any decent rates. And Thus a goal was set for ireland, and government had the wind put up it behind, and had to act, and thus the creation of these new laws and this return scheme was born

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,627 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Another hundred-ish sites on the map and its still incomplete - found out that my local shop, which I've been in at least five times since the 1st, has one buried in the back. Unlisted. They've added ~350 sites since the start date, probably all of which were active on that day and just unlisted.

Five are listed locally, I've seen two of those and they have two RVMs - one set middling size and the other absolutely immense; this shop has an absolutely tiny single.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

I was put any plastic containers or cans I use and place them in the recycling bin thats a few metres from my house.

Now, I'll have to wash out my plastic containers & cans, place them gently into a bag and store them somewhere within my house. When I choose to go to a shop, assuming I don't forget them, I'll need to stand and queue at an RVM, placing them individually into the machine and wait for my non-recycleable voucher that I then need to use in that specific shop or I can choose to queue up at the customer service desk to get cash that I personally, don't want to have on me anyway.

If any cans or bottles are not accepted, then I'm 25c down per container and now I need to carry them around the shop with me. Of course they are in the shopping bag that I brought with me to use for shopping so that's a bit of an annoyance.

Anyway, I'll drive home and unload my shopping. I'll then take out my non-accepted slightly crushed plastic bottles/cans, walk the few metres to my green bin, open it and place them inside. The circle of life.

I suppose I'll be happy I have a car because not having one would make the above that little more inconvenient.

Remind me again, based on our recycling statistics - am I in the minority that will have to go through the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yeah, I am and I still would to be honest, havent really had time to delve into them.

If 9 outta ten items are collected and only 6 outta ten are being recycled what is happening the other 3 outta ten? Incineration/landfill? If so why?

Is it down to contamination?

I smell a rat here and it's not the first time private enterprise has the ear of governments out to make a shed load of money.

In reality rather than imagined problem world:

• you don't need to wash bottles - just close the lid when they're empty. You probably don't need to wash cans either, unless you're concerned about a leak in to a bag
    • there will rarely if ever be queues at RVMs.
    • Machines are exceptionally quick
    • Very few containers are going to be refused within a few months of now - once everything on sale is properly registered. Slightly crushed stuff does work; absolutely flattened doesn't.
    • deposit on most containers is 15c not 25c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Hopefully we get a 4l Coke Zero as a result of this!

• Advertisement

So why not put separate compartments in existing private recycle bins for plastic bottles and aluminium cans and why not make more publicly accessible recycle bins with similar compartments available?

Surely in reality they are far more practical and environmentally friendly solutions to the same problem?

Because the first thing wouldn't do anything at all towards increasing recovery rate (but would require every single recycling truck in the country to be replaced and slow down collection to a huge extent); and the second one would be wildly ineffective.

If you look at what people put in to the marked recycling bins in shops/train stations/airports etc - its just the same as they put in to the normal bin section. Its completely tainted and needs to be processed as normal waste.

DRS schemes are the only thing that has ever delivered the required level of returns and basically everything else has been tried.

But sure with this new scheme isn't there a while fleet of new recovery vehicles required with additional routes, staffing and maintenance requirements? Never mind the machines themselves and the additional carbon emissions needed to return this stuff to the machines? No talk of that?

Slowing down bin collection? Seriously versus the additional resources thrown at this DRS it's a drop in the ocean.

How would the second one be wildly ineffective? There are very very few public recycling bins and less still with compartmentalised collection.

Nothing else has been tried in Ireland or am I missing something.

A few additional collection trucks isn't the same as refitting all the existing ones.

Slowing down bin collections would massively increase the cost by increasing vehicle and staff requirements - staff are hard to find for anything in Ireland, let alone a particularly unpleasant job (hours, smells, etc).

All that for something that wouldn't do a single thing towards improving collection.

Most importantly - we don't have time to try stuff that failed everywhere else just in case it works here. Trying stuff that failed repeatedly is the definition of insanity anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

• If I'm going to be storing empty cans of beer (for example) in my house, then yes I will be washing them. Otherwise they would smell.
    • Rarely ever queues at RVM's? I suppose we can compare it to the bottle banks. Ever see more than two people at a bottle bank at one time?
    • Machines are quick, people are slow. ATM's are quick - ever wait for an age for someone to complete a transaction?
    • Fair point on few items being refused in the future. Problem is, anything that is refused = money lost.
    • Fair enough on most on 15c for most containers.

You did miss a number of other points that I made (having to use voucher in a specific shop, exchanging for cash etc) but let's keep with the above for now.

I don't smell the glass bottle pile that's waiting to be brought to the bottle bank, but to each their own. You won't smell the inside of closed bottles anyway

Most shops of any size have more than one RVM. I've only seen singles in convenience stores. (as an aside my local bottle bank has access to both sides of the bins, and more than two of each type so you'd need 4+ to cause a queue - but is an outlier)

I've used them, in Ireland and other countries - they are fast and they don't provide the reasons for delay that ATMs do. And again, there's usually two.

I honestly don't see the voucher being a problem of any description so didn't see a point trying to comment on that. I'm never going to be looking for the cash, but if I did I'd be OK with going through a till for it.

There are zero occasions on which I will be going to return cans and not be doing shopping in that very store at the same time, although for some reason people on the many threads here seem to suggest they'll be doing it all the time.

Collection is allegedly at 95 percent already.....

Not every bin trucks needs to be modified...

Where has this been tried elsewhere and failed?

There's about thirty different sets of collection figures. 95% is an insane outlier, it can basically be ignored as invalid - but I've never even seen someone claim that anyway.

Every recycling truck would need to be, and every individual bin collection would take many times as long as the second chamber is manually emptied in to part of the truck before the remainder gets lifted.

There are countries with huge amounts of easily accessible, free, public recycling bins that have brought in DRS schemes; as public bins don't get enough back - and what comes back is very contaminated. Denmark and the Netherlands as similar-ish countries to here.

So this is the issue I have with the existing figures, that someone brought up a few posts back. No one really knows how many plastic bottles get collected as a percentage of what gets sold. Anyway, I suppose that is neither here nor there.

We have very very very few public recycle bins and still don't. I don't know how anyone can suggest that more of them wouldn't improve things when logic suggests that it would, particularly if they were put in good locations and well thought out.

As for the bin trucks, I don't believe it's as big an issue as millions upon millions spend on rvm machines and the infrastructure and human capital that goes with them.

And again, I have major concerns about the validity of any figures used before this scheme came in.

• Advertisement

Take a look at any public recycling bin that already exists, and compare the contents to the nearest non-recycling bin.

They'll be the same. They don't work.

The RVM rollout will have cost less than replacing every single recycling truck to allow a slower collection that doesn't change collection rates by anything at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement