Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And why don't they work, in your own opinion?

Where is the documentation to back up your final assertion? Did it make up some part of public consultation?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,602 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because people just see a public bin as a bin, they don't pay any attention to what its meant to be.

There was no public consultation on your random idea because it is just that - a random bad idea. But there are figures on what the RVM rollout is costing retailers; and there are figures on what recycling trucks cost. You can do the maths.

Most importantly - remember that your suggestion does not increase collection figures by anything at all - all it does is provide some minor level of pre-sort, at the cost of needing more recycling trucks and more staff to do it. It is an exceptionally expensive suggestion for bugger all gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The only place I have really taken note of the use of recycling bins is in airports.

That's because I tend to be hanging around at a loose end in such locations.

I agree that people and especially kids have no idea how to use them. It's common to see messy stuff like fruit waste put in where paper is supposed to go.

In addition regarding the separate collection of cans in refuse trucks, would they not need another wheelie bin for every house as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And why do you think that is?

There's no full figure on the cost of the RVM scheme. Any costs published are not complete nor are there any costings for any other schemes or enhancements.

Ironically enough at least one of the top five or six countries in the world for recycling has pretty much avoided this type of nonsense to this point. They've kept state and LA involvement in the collection and recycle process while we continue to let our state and LAs washed their hands of it.

Or a brand new (and not off the shelf) split chamber one. Either way - more cost and complexity from a proposal that is apparently trying to stop cost and complexity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's interesting to speculate but not going to happen.

Like every other alternative idea that's been floated on the various threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes except that you don't need to clean your bottles anymore and the speculation about cans or bottles that are not accepted is just speculation

If you do your shopping in a car anyway then there's no difference really for you on that front

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Is there any political party that will reverse this nonsense? They will get my vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its coming from the EU I doubt we will be able to roll it back.

You and the rest of the complainers will be ranting and raving when we are fined for failing to meet the 90% target.

We have surely avoided the fines by bringing in this system, no? Hopefully they don't fine us because of the poor implementation

I'm sure there is some independent candidates that will make it an election promise, the Healy-Raes of Kerry for example I can see pouncing on it, but all the main political parties are content with it and won't be reversing it

Because it's being rolled out across the EU and being supported by Brussels the candidates for the European Parliament election might be your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Citywest shopping centre, one RVM run by Dunnes and that’s the only one. Bit of a joke considering it must be one of the busiest supermarkets in the country these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

We're already inherently being fined with the price increases caused by the new system itself, with the deposit, and also with shops upping their normal prices alongside the deposit to take advantage of all the buzz.

But if there's a threat of EU fining us, maybe we should part ways with the EU then. What i wanna know is who are THEY to fine US? ireland already does so much for europe already as it is. What do we get in return? military protection? what gives?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Yes, great idea, leave the EU because of an extra 15c being added to a can. Leaving the EU worked well for the UK...

We are the EU, the EU is us and we rightly decided that any member country that doesn't uphold environmental concerns in equal measures should be fined

it seems you've missed the point entirely on this...

also dodged the questions on that. i wish the "one for all, and all for one" premise of the EU was a true and realistic thing to go by, still though none of that answers any of what i had asked. There's a severe lack of "equal measures and consequnce" when it comes to EU.

Leaving the EU wouldnt be just about the extra 15c, but i can see how the whole thing can become the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak.

it seems the cons outweigh the pro's on this EU thing and ireland being in the EU.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

Doubt it, I haven't seen anyone use it never mind a queue at it. They can easily add another one anyway, there's space for it downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

there may have been some chinese whipsers to some people about a transition period, but it absolutely hasn't been properly communicated broadly. for example the citiziens information.ie currently still states this

"What is not included in the recycling scheme?

If your container doesn’t have the Re-turn logo on it, you can’t return it and it should be recycled as normal."

this is FALSE, as re-turn is now advising people to type in the barcode on their website to check even if it doesn't have the logo. there's many instances like this all over the place. gov.ie said this up till last week but has since been edited

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i find it strange u think thats an easier solution than simply putting the recycling bin in the kitchen

I find is strange you can fathom that if someone puts food in a recycling bin then the recycling is contaminated and has to be thrown away.

With the new solution it's guaranteed to be 100% sage from contamination.

The rest of the EU does this and no one complains. I had a someone pick up the bottle put in the bi in Berlin when I was on my holidays. I assume to bring it to the return machine. I wasn't aware of the tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

If Ireland leaves the EU we can kiss our economy and our kids futures goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The only people this scheme punishes are the minority who don't pass an RVM on their way to do the shopping and policy should never be made to convenience the minority over the greater good

It punishes people who have a recycle bin at home and who get their cans and bottles delivered.

I will say again, the implementation was not fully thought out. The communication has been poor, and I still do not believe we have exactly copied the system that was in place in Germany and other places.

It has caused me to change my behaviour, I am going to start experimenting with a SodaStream.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

Ignore if you don't believe in the power of consumers to change apartheid states but those who aren't aware, and supported the Dunnes Stores workers boycott of South African products should be aware:

https://bdsmovement.net/news/%E2%80%9Csodastream-still-subject-boycott%E2%80%9D

"SodaStream is still subject to boycott by the global, Palestinian-led BDS movement for Palestinian rights. Its new factory is actively complicit in Israel's policy of displacing the indigenous Bedouin-Palestinian citizens of Israel in the Naqab (Negev). SodaStream's mistreatment of and discrimination against Palestinian workers is not forgotten either."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

So basically I'm screwed either way?

Thanks government. I look forward to the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

There are alternatives to Soda stream

(just a quick search haven't researched these products)

Philips Water ADD4902BK/10 GoZero Sparkling Water Maker, Plastic, 1 Liter, Black https://amzn.eu/d/4db37qM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

For some reason, those who support this seem to think that:

a) This somehow does not inconvenicencing people who already recycle, bearing in mind they are the majority. As per Re-Turns site: "To date, over 60% of plastic bottles and cans are being collected for recycling through green bins, which means that over 30% are not collected, leading to increased littering."

and

b) That those who litter and contribute to the 30% will stop. Scumbags that throw their can or bottle out the window of their car are unlikely to suddenly grow a green conscience and hang onto said can or bottle & bring it back for recycling for 15c.

Two other points to note:

c) From Re-Turn: "Ireland has a recycling rate of over 80% for glass and is surpassing recycling targets for this material. As a result, there are no plans to include glass in the Scheme but this may be open to change in the future". So they may start charging a deposit for glass in the future, sure why not the Germans do, pfand.

d) "The system is funded through producer fees for each product placed on the market." This is the most laughable. Sure, the producers are paying for it. They're not going to pass on these costs to the retailers and the retailers are not going to pass on these increased costs to their consumers.

i'm not quite sure i understand why? i was under the impression that ireland was being held back by the EU, and being made to pay for the debts of other countries banks and all that bailout stuff. Obliged/forced to hep due to being part of the EU. And our inflation going up more due to all the free monies being handed out because of EU related reasons. And gas/electric cost increases, and now this deposit return scheme tax on our cans and bottles too.

if ireland left eu, why would we kiss or economy and kids future goodbye? i would like to understand and i'm willing to learn

why don't they (recycling people who get the rubbish) just clean the recycleables then? instead of just throwing it all out and deeming it contaminated just because of one little bannana skin. thats insane waste and they're being too picky

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement