Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"They don't have the facilities"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,082 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...id be interested in viewing your peer reviewed research for your observations, as in, your own personal peered reviewed, cause it greatly differs from most others.....

a significant amount of folks currently on welfare are unable to adequately provide themselves with their own needs, due to the overall cost of living, which of course has risen significantly over the last couple of years.....

....again, id be very interested in viewing your research in relation to disability, as most i have the privilege in mixing with struggle with their day to day needs, particular in relation to their psychological needs, most struggle with significant mental health issues, best of luck with explaining this to potential employers, i.e. explaining how such folks are unable to go to work today, as theyre struggling with significant anxiety or crippling depression on particular days, or become extremely overwhelmed, and must leave the work place.....

...and you d wonder why many such people struggle with such issues, and have great shame and guilt over their situation, fair play for your empathy and compassion of others, im sure it doesnt cause an escalation of such societal problems....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭csirl

Interesting that someone mentionec DEIS schools. The funding focus in many of these schools is too focused on the lower end of the scale. For example, they throw extra learning support hours at these schools regardless of need. So you get a scenario where children who otherwise would be in mainstream education are being pushed into learning support. There's also too much focus on alternative programmes to mainstream education.

There"s a significant body of students in these schools who are as intelligent as anyone else, but maybe dont have the parental direction/support to keep them interested in mainstream education. The DoE would get a lot more bang for their buck by focusing funding on supporting and keeping well able intelligent kids in mainstream education rather than focusing on "alternatives" and adopting the attitude that because a kid comes from a difficult background, they shouldnt be expected to pursue academics. The best solution for anti-social behaviour is people having careers and expectations.

I'll take "American buzzwords I picked up that have zero relevance in Ireland" for $500, please Bob

Zero relevance ????

Really ?? It does describe your reply ....

You prefer "Butthurt" ??? 😂

Nah, Butthurt is another Americanism you can keep to yourself, thanks.

• I'm aware of the definition of "salty". Nobody says that in Ireland, we have plenty of our own colloquialisms without importing that shite (see bulling, raging, giving out, eat the head off ya, sickened, scundered (NI), freaked etc.), hence the zero relevance comment. There's a sizeable portion of the country that wouldn't have the foggiest what you were shiting on about if you used salty in casual conversation in the context you used it. But you got the wrong end of the stick, you failed to take the "....in Ireland" part of my post into account. There is a difference between something having zero relevance to this thread/conversation on Boards and something having zero relevance in Ireland. You'd want to have some form of dyslexia to a) not be able to discern that difference and b) misinterpret my original reply to the OP. Hence the question.
    • Seeing as you've taken me up incorrectly, let's discuss how you're also wrong on that count..........I also said it wasn't relevant because I wasn't salty, or bitter, or upset or any of that shite. Calling someone salty when they aren't (why would I be when I barely have a notion of who she is or what you mean in your failed attempt at humour?) is also not relevant, for anyone struggling to keep up. Someone brought up KCFC as an example of those who cry "there are no facilities" as described in the OP. I explained how this wasn't the case, and you tried to equate that with me being Lynn Boylan, whatever the fcuk that means. I asked you if you had a reading/learning disability, because only a complete eejit* would misunderstand what I was saying, which was written in plain English. You mistook that as me being salty, for reasons unknown to anyone but yourself. How could I be a sore loser if I didn't lose?

You failed to understand what was being said.

You threw out a lame-ass joke/insult which didn't make sense, thereby also failing

When you got a joke/insult back as a reply, you declared the other person to be salty, despite zero evidence that this was indeed the case. That's a third failure on your part, I'm afraid.

*seeing as you've displayed a fierce dearth of reading comprehension up to this point, and for any Americans watching, replace eejit with chump, numbskull, blockhead, schmuck, dweeb, doofus, poindexter etc.)

Prediction: Your next post will be some variation of "hahaha.....Look at this wall of text, only a salty person would bother typing this much hahahaha I’m obviously after getting under your skin I am the winner hahahah”.

Deleted..

Your not worth the warning...

"have a nice day y'all"......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

The "bad parenting" line has been interesting to me over recent years. While I genuinely believe there are "bad" parents out there - as in parents who do not care a jot or actively produce horrible children - it seems to me anecdotally that overwhelmed or struggling parents are infinitely more common than "bad" ones.

A lot of this comes from my experience which I have mentioned enough times on the forum to probably make the majority sick of me at this stage :) But in short there was a group of "scrote" teens around my area who were intimidating people, physically accosting old ladies, drinking and littering and in general just being in many ways awful. People who talked about them would use words like "scum" and "irredeemable". I had my doubts.

So I indirectly confronted them one day - in that I made myself seem a target so they would come at me. And I ended up working with them and teaching them martial arts and a few other things. I jokingly run a "Jedi Acadamy" around here now where the kids learn the things Jedi would learn. And where they can not learn Jedi things (since "the force" does not exist for example) they learn the closest real world equivalent. And they love it.

And they have turned out pretty wonderful kids. Over covid they were doing the gardens and delivering the shopping of the little old ladies they were previously intimidating for example. But there are many examples of how turned around they are.

I met their parents. I made a point of it. And all but one set (who were scum of the highest order) of parents were lovely people. They were working two jobs and long hours to make ends meet. They were not "bad" parents. But the demands of meeting the minimum standards of feeding and clothing and housing and school educating their kids was such they had little time, energy, or ability to do the rest of "parenting". So the kids ended up on the street with other kids. Aimless and lost. The meals they were eating were not good, convenience stuff. And the result was not pretty.

Would a cart load of new facilities around Maynooth have taken those kids in and stopped the "scrote" behavior? Possibly. But I think it takes a lot more than mere facilities existing. They have to be maintained. Access has to be uncomplicated. Kids need guidance and leadership. And more. So I am a little skeptical as to how useful it would have been to them really. For every athlete who talks about how a football or boxing club "saved" them there are many kids who aren't built for either of those sports.

Its a bit like how you can get kids 100 presents at Christmas but after a couple of hours they are pestering you and giving you no peace. Why? Because more than gifts they want your time. And I think you can similarly throw a ton of facilities at children but like the gifts it will not be quite enough. I was born and bred in Clontarf. Swimming pools, football pitches galore, beaches, parks, Karate club, Snooker in Fairview, Library in Raheny, Rugby pitch and more existed as I grew up and kids still hung around outside shops being a nuisance seemingly with nothing better to do.

The outcome of children is multi factorial and "facilities" and "parenting" and so forth are only single factors. Trying to distill it all down to "its all because of X" for me always leaves me skeptical. It's never that simple. It makes me sad. I am so proud of the work I did with the kids and I am proud of them and what they do now and have become. I genuinely touched and changed the lives of a number of people. But it's only a handful of kids and I am only 1 man. And even then I do it with the support of 4 to 10 other people at different times. I wish I could help them all! But no part of me shouting about facilities OR that it's "all about the parents" is likely to help anyone I fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah, Mountjoy Square, Foley St, these areas were so much worse not that long ago and not the sort of place you'd want to go near. This is why I don't get all this hullabulloo over Dublin being the most dangerous place in the world, it was way way worse back then, literal no go areas in the city centre. My dad used to get pelted with stones cycling home from work through Summerhill ffs, now it's grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Serial trouble causers should be dispersed out of the city centre though.

If you're getting a free house and cant act within the law, then you dont deserve a free house in the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

they have been dispersed somewhat, and facilities have definitely improved, which has left us with a dublin city centre far safer and pleasant than it used to be, was my point.

i know i'll be told it's a warzone nowadays but i'm speaking from experience and my memory of a time when you couldn't walk around much of the city centre, especially mountjoy area where the poster i responded to was talking about, "robbed or battered or both" as he said.

Yep. I agree.

But the Council could do more to disperse and deter.

Dont wait for someone to have 20 convictions before they break their tenancy obligations.

Once there is a genuine deterrent, people behave very differently.

• Advertisement

....theres actually no conclusive evidence to support this, such behaviors tend to be highly complex in nature, an element of the whole idea of incarceration is based on this thinking, i.e. if people are incarcerated for committing crimes, the mere fact of incarceration will change their behaviors, yet theres no conclusive evidence to support this thinking, in fact re-offence rates are extremely high post incarceration, so no, 'deterrents' dont always lead to changes in behavior.....

Who mentioned incarceration?

I said the deterrent of being moved from the locality.

yes but the thinking is the same or similar, i.e. enforce 'deterrents' in order to try change behaviors, only problem is, that doesnt seem to work for most, i.e. theres no deterrent.....

...i.e. behaviors, in particular unsocial behaviors are extremely complex, due to a multitude of highly complex issues, and moving such people out of areas means, they ll just move off somewhere else with their dysfunctional behavior's, becoming somebody elses problem, i.e. it doesnt solve the problem....

It fragments it. Breaks up gangs etc.

Treatment should be part of the solution, but not the total solution.

Deterrents do work. Not perfectly, but they do work.

Treatment works, not perfectly, but it works.

We can do both.

...can you prove all of this please?

yes treatments do help, but many simply wont engage in such, particularly at later stages, when in fact they were showing signs of distress at younger ages, i.e. early stages of schooling etc, when particular services were required, but not provided, this still occurs, and can occur at significant levels....

• Advertisement

We know that treatment and deterrents are helpful, but that they are imperfect.

They can both be delivered together. It doesnt have to be one or the other.

I agree with you that treatment opportunities can be missed. But treatment isnt the only thing we can do. Thats all I am saying.

again, yes both should be implemented, but most treatments simply arent, particularly early age treatments, resulting in a mess, and virtually untreatable adult behavioral issues....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,605 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would you like to share any evidence that these kind of deterrents are effective?

Are we going to leave people on the street when they've got a few criminal convictions, because they don't 'deserve' social housing?

....wouldnt be worrying about that, as it surely wouldnt lead to escalations, surely.....

They would still be housed, but not where they currently are.

The threat of little jimmy getting bumped out to Mayo with his family would be enough for his parents to make him sort his s**t out.

Rehousing would be a last resort.

But mental supports, electronic tagging, parental fines for minors engaging in continual anti social behaviour should all be on the table.

The current approach of mollycoddling and playgrounds (that are then burnt down) clearly does not work.

The north inner city will forever be a dump, unless there is a political will to effect a change.

We all know there is not.

Again, is there any evidence that such threats will work?

I know you'd like them to work, but that doesn't mean that they work in the real world.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How can you cycle out to the mountains if you've no bike?

Given the numbers of bikes stolen these days, not really an issue for most of those shitbags 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

In our town there are playgrounds near council estates. A basketball court built next to an area that would always have had a large number of social welfare families.

Nothing built near any estate that would be classed as privately owned ( for the most part).

Yet the kids hanging around town are mostly from the poorer areas and causing nothing but bother.

It has to come down from parents. If they aren't interested in getting their kids involved in school/activities/work most kids in this environment have no good examples.

Is there any evidence that they dont work or that the current approach does work?

Tagging serial offenders is a good way to remove people from areas in which they have previously committed crimes.

If they break the curfew they get a custodial sentance.

All the evidence supports the fact that you cant commit street crime from jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Well in that case we need to find something that does work. This should take the form of more help and support but if this doesn't work then we need to go down the route of fines where the payment is took directly out of their sw payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

You forgot "is loughan house the playground of today". You sound very out of date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

How many countries have implemented housing first and has it eliminated homelessness?

That amazing they have eliminated homelessness in Helsinki.

A small city in Canada I wonder why they don't do it in Vancouver which has a massive homelessness problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Greyfox

And what if they have a council house and don't bother to pay their rent? Ah don't worry about it, sure some people owe 2 years of rent and haven't been evicted, this is Ireland, you'll be grand.

They do Housing First in Vancouver, and it is very successful. No one claims that Housing First eliminates homelessness, except those who don't want it to succeed.

What happens if businesses don't bother to pay their rates? Ah don't worry about, sure some businesses owe years of rates and haven't been caught, this is Ireland, you'll be grand.

Why would anyone not want housing first? it would transform Dublin, no more rough sleepers, or at least it would be rare, addictions, mental health issues vastly reduced and from that other issued reduced less children in foster care, plesent safe communities everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is it not the case that there are beds in emergency accomm for all rough sleepers, but they choose not to use them?

Yes, they don't generally like the flowery pattern on the duvets, so they choose to sleep in tents or doorways in freezing temperatures instead.

Or they don't like the drugs or general atmosphere or they want privacy or don't want support workers.

There was a really interesting documentary on the Gunness trust and the last bit was about the hostal they run, the number one thing the residents wanted was privacy and to be left alone.

That's a pretty childish comment to be making, you're essentially mocking that other poster for suggesting there are people sleeping rough who might not have to when this is clearly true. There are loads of rough sleepers who don't go near hostels for a vast myriad of reasons. Anyone who has volunteered or lived near these places will tell you the same......

Not allowed in if on drink or drugs, which rules out a huge percentage from the get go

Some sneak drink/drugs in and others don't want to be near that scene

The threat of violence

The threat of sexual assault

The threat of being robbed

The threat of sharing with a mentally unwell person

The fact that you have to check in fairly early in the evening, which means you can't be out begging during the hours where you're most likely to get a few bob and when the soup runs take place etc.

That's just a selection off the top of my head, but sure yeah, it's because of the patterns on the bedspread or some other snide BS you can come up with 🙄. There are countless other reasons. Didn't that guy who died in the Phoenix park have a rake of money in the bank and at least one property, if not multiple properties?

What was his opinion of the duvets, seeing as you're doing your best sneering Micheál Martin impression?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,948 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Speaking as somebody living in Dublin…. There are facilities everywhere.

Multiple sports clubs…soccer, GAA, Tennis, Golf, Pitch n Putt, swimming, athletics, snooker / pool, basketball, cycling, wall climbing, martial arts, cricket…. Yes, There is even a cricket club in Finglas now…! plus Clontarf

no facilities ? Maybe true 20/25 years ago, certainly not true now.

ok, for a person not sports oriented ? Maybe take up or take an interest in Art, cinema / acting, photography, woodworking/ furniture restoration,

literally not enough hours of free time to indulge probably in a quarter of those options….

Mon : free night, or do some art perhaps ?

Tue : swimming

Wed : soccer / GAA training

Thur : cinema

Fri : Art class

Sat : soccer / GAA match

Sun : free day or go play tennis ? Kick about in park ?

Up to parents to parent…. In tandem with one another… give lifts, other supports etc, take turns..

as with the above dummy scenario… it’s doable, yes, effort is required but I’m sitting here without a criminal record I can say that much…I had a busy, active, constructive childhood, thankfully….encouraged, brought places, introduced to stuff like sports, scouting, art etc… I couldn’t paint my way out of a dulux factory but it was fun trying, good craic with other kids and a great teacher…

id blame parents before I’d blame no facilities, because there ARE both, the effort does have to be made, organise, enquire, communicate and parent ..,

You seem to have misinterpreted my angle, but regardless, you're absolutely correct on the reasons why some people don't use hostels

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That is like asking why there is less violence at a GAA match than a soccer match. A big part of it is community - everyone knows everyone and they know what is going on and who the likely lads are when things go wrong. And certainly in the countryside we had problem kids in my time, which is about fifty years ago. We had the countryside to play in not a concrete jungle plus plenty of little jobs to do on the far to keep us out of trouble.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Almost every single activity you have suggested there costs money plus giving lifts = having a car. Not every household has the money for activities 6-7 days a week plus the money to run a car, never mind own one and pay the insurance on it. Nice ideas but you are assuming a certain level of disposable income not available to all parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,948 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

true.

but very little in life is free. For anyone of any age.

im not suggesting that everything everyday in that scenario would be attainable.

but there are options for parents….as outlined…. The vast vast majority or urban and suburban areas have facilities…

Advertisement