Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

As far as I am concerned this area is now a "no go" if you are going by car. I was going to a match in Croke Park recently. Instead of going Howth Road to Fairview. I naively said to myself sure Clontarf way might be as good or better.

There was a "stop/go" system at Westwood no movement. Really backed up for ages, people doing u-turns because of it. I did the same myself. Went the East Wall way, but everyone else had the same idea. Barely made the match on time, even though there was a much smaller crowd than normal.

Also given the nature of the roadworks it is an extremely dangerous area for the elderly infirm or disabled, uneven paths, cones, dug up ground. A real "war zone" feel to it. Those with businesses in the area must be driven demented as well.

I hope all this building work will be worth it in the end and it, but at the moment the area is a disaster to travel through. They might as well ban cars altogether from that stretch of road given the congestion/roadworks it is pointless.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

the outbound section in fairview, from where fairview grill is to the malahide road, has had basically no progress from what i can see, it's just dug up and exposed pipes. taking forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

They cut down trees and people don't even notice. It's just something people latch on to as an excuse for zero improvement to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Nah, it's an improvement for people passing through an area. Those who actually live there might actually enjoy having a few trees in their local area. I remember when they were building the port tunnel and as part of it they commandeered a large section of Fairview Park. They even knocked down the changing rooms under the pretense that new ones would be built. Yeah, that never happened.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

Both can be true. Trees are absolutely important for the city but they are also used as stalking horse for people objecting to a project. Trees are cut down across the city all the time for various reasons but you generally only hear people complaining about it when they are objecting to a housing or transport project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

People cycling in the wrong direction on a cycle lane isn't a design flaw. The issue really is that the outbound cycle lane isn't available yet. Once it is, people should use that, choosing not to do so is abusing the facility and making what should be a safe space dangerous for everyone.

I don't think two-way cycle lanes on the Park side would have worked as most people joining/leaving the cycle lanes will do so on the other side of the road. Two way cycle lanes could have worked on the other (i.e. outbound) side. To do that, it could have been left as one general traffic lane outbound instead of having a second from Annesley Bridge. It would be possible as the library on Marino Mart at least.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hard disagree, cyclists have no problem crossing the road to get to a more pleasant and high quality cycle lane. After all people do it all the time on the Clontarf to Howth cycle lane, which is a major success. Plus such cyclists have to cross the road regardless with the current one way cycle lane!

It would be pretty silly to suggest that the Howth cycle lane was built on the other side next to the houses and business of Clontarf rather than the more attractive sea side.

The Fairview park side is certainly more attractive to any cyclist. A two way cycle lane on the other side would be a mess with far more interactions with pedestrians on the narrow footpath, coming and going from shops, buses, plus there are a number of extra road junctions on that side which don’t exist on the park side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

No, there’s a small compound there now for park staff. They never replaced the large changing room area that was there before the works.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

i think you're wrong, the big building opposite st joseph's is changing rooms as far as I know

• Advertisement

I can't remember old changing rooms to be honest. But I didn't live in the area until after the port tunnel was built. As mentioned, didn't they build new changing areas?

You disagree that people shouldn't be cycling in the wrong direction on a single direction cycle lane!?

Having cycle lanes in both directions on the outbound side would facilitate local trips from homes to shops, cafes, school, etc. and back all on the same side of the road. If both cycle lanes were on the other side, such journeys would be less attractive by bike. Such journeys are the "low hanging fruit" in terms of getting people onto bikes. Longer journeys such as commutes to/from the city centre would require switching to the other side of the road in one direction regardless of which side the cycle lanes are.

Ideally, in the not too distant future, the second outbound lane would be removed between Annesley Bridge and the library on Marino Mart (the left turn lane for Malahide Road would be retained), i.e. the right-most driving lane reaims, the left-most driving lane becomes the bus lane and the bus lane becomes cycle/pedestrian space. That would allow for cycle lanes in both directions for that stretch, with the inbound cycle lane remaining on the other side. It would be quite easy/cheap to do and would also allow for an increase in width in front of the businesses on Marino Mart.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You disagree that people shouldn't be cycling in the wrong direction on a single direction cycle lane!?

How are people to know whether part of a of cycle lane is one way or two?

What about someone sitting in Fairview Park having cycled there from Clontarf - are they expected to cross the road at either Annesley Br or over the metal bridge (depending on where they are in the park)?

I'm not justifying travelling in the wrong direction but if we design ambiguous routes then don't be surprised when people use them any which way.

i'd cycle on the shared path to the westwood end of the park and use the pedestrian crossing there

I'm not sure of the legal standing of them but there are markings on the cycle lane which indicate the direction of travel. There may be additional signage also, either now or added later. Is there really ambiguity? Even if there is currently some ambiguity (possible due to lack of an outbound cycle lane), a few signs when the outbound cycle lane is open would remove that.

Why on earth would anyone cross the road at either Annesley Br or over the metal bridge if going from Fairview Park to Clontarf? There is provision for cyclists to cross from the Park to the other side of the road at Fairview Strand, Joey's and Malahide Road (in addition to at the Fairview/clontarf side of Annesley Br) as part of what is currently being built.

Of course it would be great to be able to cycle from anywhere to anywhere else without crossing a road but that isn't realistic. Two cycle lanes on the Park side would have caused more problems (in terms of objections, etc.), if not been outright impossible, due to encroaching on the Park and passing under the railway bridge arches. What I am saying is that two cycle lanes could be/have been created outbound between Annesley Bridge and Joey's by removing the second driving lane which isn't really necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I see an article on the RTE website claims that the pedestrian and bicycle entrances to Fairview Park are enabling scumbag pricks on motorbikes to get in and subsequently tear up the football pitches...

Will there soon be calls to put barriers at the access points?

They've already put big concrete barriers up in parts to keep cars out, I can't see them putting those horrible bike and wheelchair blocker things up surely not

This has been going on for years, with both DCC and the Gardai turning a blind eye to it.

Gardai don't even bother responding to calls when it's happening. It's barely on their radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

And DCCs solution is to femce off the pitches. Not, you know, actually punish the teenage wasters commiting the crime.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Don't put words in my mouth! I'm not saying that at all!

I'm saying that a two way cycle track should have been built on the park side.

I'm also saying that the idea of putting a two way cycle lane is a completely illogical one. You are forcing cyclists to interact with 12 different junctions and car entrances on that side of the road, 3 of them major ones, junctions that wouldn't exist at all on the park side, leaving for a much safer cycling environment on the park side.

The number of people in Fairview who would benefit from cycling between shops would be tiny and irrelevant compared to the numbers who would cycle through Fairview on the way too and from work (or start/end there).

Take a look:

Honestly, I don't know how you could look at the above and think it would be better forcing cyclists to interact with all those junctions, then having them a lovely junction free cycle next to a pretty park!!

I'm not justifying it, but looking at the above mess of junctions, I predict at least some cyclists will continue to cycle the wrong way on the park side, given how much more pleasant it is then the village side.

Finally there is also the problem around Westwood, where folks cycling on the shared path inside the park join the cycle path heading towards the Clontarf cycle path. For that 400 meter section between the Park and Clontarf, I suspect most of them will cycle the wrong way on the cycle path to get to the two way Clontarf cycle path. I mean for most it would make sense for them to cross the road twice, once just before Westwood, only to have to cross back 400 meters later to get on the Clontarf Cycle Path.

A two way cycle path on the Fairview Park side would eliminate this issue.

That is the point, there is already a two way cycle path from Clontarf to Howth, it would have made much more sense and be safer and more pleasant to have continued it along this section too and perhaps all the way into town.

While this new cycle path is welcome, it is another example of poor design.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Does anyone know if the cycle path through the middle of Fairview park is still marked as a cyclelane? The main path with pedestrians on one side and cyclists the other. I'd probably still use that if it meant avoiding all those junctions (and lights) outbound.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For what it's worth, I generally really dislike two-way cycle lanes. They tend to make it hard to actually navigate to where you want to go, and when you inevitably end up on the road to do so drivers get even more irate than usual.

They're great when I'm out for a cycle, but annoying when cycling as a means of transport.

Cycling through the park certainly sounds like a good idea, especially from a city centre to clontarf POV.

But surely they will need deterrents/cameras for the anti social behaviour mob as the cycle path would likely be a beacon for them. Especially under cover of a park.

Well with the current setup of a single lane in each direction, you would need to cross the road at least once anyway. Plus you would need to cross 12 road junctions East to West regardless!

Of course, the ideal would be a two way cycle lane on both sides of the road! Something you actually see on some roads in the Netherlands, etc. on wide roads.

Realistically vastly more people are going to be using this cycle lane to cycle into and out of the city, then relatively few who might be making local trips.

what you think people will just start attacking cyclists or something? i walk or cycle through there all the time in the dark, it's grand

• Advertisement

BTW For the second day in a row, someone parked smack bang right in the middle of the cycle path on Griffith Avenue! Today the person was boldly parked right in front of the traffic warden in front of the school!!

A reminder that the primary goal of this cycle path is to create a safe cycle path for children to cycle to school. I watched as young children had to pull out into the road and traffic to get around this person who was happily sitting in the car!

I need to get a go pro or something to record this madness and send it onto DCC for enforcement.

Advertisement