Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tucker Carlson at the Bolshoi Ballet (threadbans in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭brickster69

Boris Johnson refutes claims he torpedoed the Istanbul agreement. Quite amazing how many people seem to be in the dark about this given it has been out there for a good while.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I guess the part about Germany having the right to invade Poland was something new from Putin. But everything seems to have been stuff that he's been saying for years that has been reported.

Thing is, it's been a misrepresentation that's been going around for years. He warned against trusting Russia but the decision was always with Ukraine. I loath Boris but he wasn't wrong in this case. He didn't prevent them from doing anything.

Pretty telling that this is your first appearance in the thread since the interview aired. No comment on Putin saying Germany was justified in invading Poland during ww2? Wanna point to any new piece of information that hasn't been out since the start of the war? Something material that justifies invasion for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Remember Prigozin exposed the lies and nonsense about the “shelling” in the Donbass?

Where is he now? How people still fall for Putin and his cronies lies is mind boggling but also worrying.

Its Germany in the 1930s all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭brickster69

How do you know what went on, sounds like deal was very close according to the mediator

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

"Arakhamia says his comments have been distorted by the Kremlin, claiming his remark to “just fight” Russia was made in a discussion of how best to repel Russia’s army. He also stressed that political decisions such as whether to sign a peace deal were the “sovereign right of the Ukrainian leadership.”"

From the article I just linked.... The negotiator doesn't seem to agree with you at all. And given that Russia has perpetrated multiple acts of genocide since, it seems unlikely that it would have led to peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Russia claims that Johnson rejected a deal. but I have heard other sources that Putin did.

A bad deal would have rewarded Putin. Remember that at that time, they were occupying large parts of Northern Ukraine and were in Kyiv region and the Chernobyl nuclear plant. They were surrounding Sumy and Chernhiv and nearly surrounding the city of Kharkiv. Freezing the conflict at that time would have allowed Russia to hold onto twice as much territory as they do now.

If what they are talking about are the talks that were going on in Belarus in 2022, I would point out that members of both delegations became ill, possibly from poisoning. There were suggestions at the time that hardliners in Moscow were responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I wouldn’t believe a word out of Johnson’s mouth.

I think it’s good to allow Putin to have his say, doesn’t mean we have to believe him but neither should we automatically believe the things our western leaders say. If ever there is a more apt use of the term 3 sides to every story it is with regards to war propaganda. Your side, my side and the truth.

The thing is, the purpose of this interview from the perspective of Putin and Carlson is to attempt to cut off support for Ukraine. It just attempts to add a veneer of credibility to it and is an attempt for him to complete the invasion. Nothing he said is actually new beyond some pretty bizarre comments on ww2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

To be honest. I am also opposed to the Putin regime itself, and would be delighted if one outcome of this war were its fall, and replacement with a democratic government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Putin was never gonna pull out of Ukraine after invading it.

People really need to cop on, his initial plan failed because Ukraine fought back bravely.

Now he’s just making up things as he goes along and useful idiots lap it up.

We can wait to hear what the American response will be. We can be sure they’ll tell us the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

He certainly seemed like a man who is no stranger to having his say at length (something known already).

He is a person who has gotten his own way for most of his life (certainly since ascending to rule Russia), surrounded by people who are afraid of him, who tell him every brainfart is genius.

Am sure it is very good for people's health that they don't try and stop him [esp. in a public/publicised event like that interview!].

If one of our poor old "Western Leaders" gave an interview/lecture in manner and tone like that (forgetting crazy contents), particularly one who you disagreed with strongly politically, I am betting you might say they were just a power-drunk mad man who needed to go asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭jmreire

Well, they also say that you should judge a man by his actions, and not by what he says. If you apply this rule to Putin, he is the complete opposite to what he claims to be. And as to that, he's a proven mass-murderer, and a liar to boot. He has brought nothing but death and destruction to the world.

And since when has Putin honored any treaty he signed? Putin treaties are not worth the paper they are written on, and he's proved it time and time again. Since 2014, he has broken 487 agreements and treaties with Ukraine, not to mention international obligations as a member of the Security Council.

That's all you hear about is that Ukraine rejected the deal because Johnson interfered and persuaded them not to take it. You never hear what the deal entails though. Neither do you hear about why Ukraine accepted Johnson's advice. Could it have been that they were going to refuse it anyway, Johnson or no Johnson? The Ukrainians are not stupid, especially when dealing with Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I just hope he doesn't freeze the bank accounts of ordinary people who disagree with him...you know what fascist dictators are like!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It would have just been another Budapest. Neither the Ukrainians nor the West trusted Putin to agree to the deal. Johnson (and it wasn't just Johnson saying this) just reinforced what then Ukrainians were already thinking, and that Western support would be forthcoming if Ukraine did not accept the deal.

This was just after news emerged of Russian atrocities such as Bucha. There was no belief on the Ukrainian side that Russia after breaking previous deals, and committing such atrocities could be trusted to act in good faith in negotiating and honouring the agreement.

The Russians presenting that as Johnson torpedoing the deal is simply a lie.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Predicable!!! Fascist leaders will use every tool at their disposal to inflict harm on their opponents!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Here's a debunking of all the Putin lies in the 'interview' rant at lapdog Carlson in case it fooled some people...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Starting to understand??? Putin is a fascist leader....I've never thought any different!

Do you believe that any leader who freezes the bank accounts of ordinary people who voice opposition is a fascist?

Just some genocide, assassinations of political opponents and journalists plus some modern day gulags. You seem to be fine with ignoring all of this though.

You have me confused with someone else...I have nothing but disdain for Putin, any person in power that long can only be destructive to a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Edit .... Was going to make a joke. But it's not worth the effort..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Putin has fúcked it and he knows it.

He thought the Ukrainians would capitulate in less than a week and all he had to do was infiltrate the equivalent of the Ukrainian Civil Service.

Now he is bogged now in an unwinnable war that will probably last a decade meet grinding citizens Russia didn't have spare.

NATO is now literally on his doorstep with his biggest traditional ally in Ukraine pushed firmly into the West with no possibility of return. The myth that Russia were a match for NATO is well and truly busted when they can't even push forward in a country defending themselves with hand me downs and toy helicopters.

Russia is well on it's way to being a Vassal state completely subservient to China.

If Carlsberg did gross miscalculations.

The only reason Putin has survived is tyranny. But his day will come.

Yep he has and by the looks of it, the Carlson interview hasn't had the intended effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - You can discuss the ongoing war in the appropriate thread. This thread is frequently being used by people banned from the Russia thread to continue discussing it here.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058195983/russia-threadbanned-users-in-op#latest

Please discuss Tucker Carlson's visit to Russia and DIRECTLY RELATED issues in this thread

Advertisement