Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Interesting situation yesterday. Chatting to a neighbor about this and he will not participate in the scheme. He likes his beer but also his privacy. Fech them he says, I aint gonna stand in no queue and then have people watch how many cans I put in the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So is a wall or a fence.

In all seriousness though I image that it will be an issue for some people, not just beer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It will be a factor for some, but really people passing won't know or care whether he drank those 10 cans in one go last night or over the past week.

Depending on what he drinks he may be able to avoid the scheme without losing deposits by switching from cans to glass bottles.

One of the side effects of Minimum Unit Pricing is that when beer is on offer the cans and bottles often retail at the same price per litre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭obi604

very general question - is this being implemented all over Europe?

or are we early adopters or late to the party etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

There’s an EU directive effectively mandating it. We’re early to comply with it, UK is next year.

Countries can implement other schemes if desired but they must meet the collection targets set out in the EU Directives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Like going to the bottle bank, you'd be wondering if someone is tut tutting at the pile of bottles being tossed in.

I suppose the evangelists here will claim this as a win anyway as might encourage your neighbour to cut back yada yada etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

we're late to the party (as usual). Other countries have already been doing this for years now. We're only getting around to doing it, after our country being caught out on not properly actually recycling the recyclables we already give. Recycling as it currently was, was just bin companies selling our recycling waste to other countries for a quick profit, or else incinerating it. EU put the wind up ireland's behind and gave us a goal of reaching 90% by 2029, so irish government panicked and came up with this scheme as an idea in hopes of reaching that 90% goal.

Essentially we're being punished/paying the price for the our countries mistake of not recycling properly. Currently there's no plastic bottle recycling facilities in ireland that actually recycle the plastic themselves, majority of recycling facilities here sell the recycleables on to other countries or some gets chucked in with black bins, ending up in landfills. Either this or gets incinerated as far as i know.

Hopefully with this new scheme they achieve one of the goals of building irelands first actual bottle recycling facility for plastic bottles, and are able to break down/melt the bottles into raw plastic materials to be sold and re-used again

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

If you think so, the reality is people do put a value on their privacy.

Queer or not.

• Advertisement

I would hazard a guess you do not live in rural Ireland. There is a unique style of privacy that is practiced in certain circumstances. In others, people are very open and transparent.

I’m a bit confused by that one. They bought the all the slabs of cans in the first place. What do they think will happen? Some auld one will be standing at a the machine tutting? Wouldn’t she be equally seeing him coming out of the off licence or loading up the beers at the local supermarket?

It just seems a bit paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You should have told him that he is already participating in it.

We all are, he just choosing to let them keep his money

Just relating what happened. If he refuses to not return via RVM he is not participating. I know he uses his recycling bin as he would often ask can this item go in to the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

No he’s not. This whole scam is to pump our numbers. Cans being bought and not put back in machines won’t pump any numbers, in fact, if a lot of people do what his neighbour does it’ll decimate the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

unless he has found a way to buy cans and bottles without the new charge then he is participating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

He’s participating by funding the scheme with his deposits. He’s indirectly paying for the collection, wages etc. That’s the argument.

To not engage with the scheme, you’d have to stop buying plastic bottles and cans which also would help the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Will all these deposits being charged on non returnable bottles by shops scamming consumers screw up the stats also I wonder?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nothing to do with being heroes. My time is just more important to me than hoarding stacks of empty cans and roaming the town to find a machine that'll take them and feeding them into one for a few cents back.

Ultimately it's a few euro a month that I'll be losing by not engaging. As I said before, in my case it's the cost of a few full retail price 500ml bottles of Coke or maybe a single takeaway per month. Not the end of the world and I could do with cutting down on takeaways anyway really.

I may end up helping to fund this quango as a result but so what.. It's done either way. I just choose to not waste my time as well.

• Advertisement

Funding the quango won't be a problem.

There is literally 100s of millions profit baked into the scheme for the first 6 years and beyond.

The company have the money making machine for 10 years.

You'd imagine with so much cash filtering through the scheme there would be annual reviews.

An approval granted under paragraph 1 shall be reviewed by the Minister by the end of the second quarter of the third year after the grant of approval and by the end of the second quarter of each third year following.

Review every 3 and a half years.

But that is none of our business.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ok you are not for turning.

I still say you'll be one of small minority.

Am banking the deposits from items bought pre-rollout to offset against the inevitable times the machine rejects a paid one, eg through accidental damage or a shop charges the deposit for an out of scope item.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

We only buy a very occasional bottle of dilute/squash. Won't be using this system. They can havey deposit. Life's way too short .

It never fails to 'impress' me that we're ahead of the EU with this scheme yet can't get our act together onore important things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

Was out visiting my 71 yo mum today and the subject came up. Life's too short says she, I'll just keep busing the green bin.

I understand where you are coming from.

For my part, the machine is conveniently placed in my Dunnes and it has a slot for rejects. I will defo be bringing back bottles. Use a lot of them.

Cans are messier and dont use too many. Will have to figure sth neat out for them storage wise or just green bin them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

it won't unfortunately, any shop charging deposits on non-returnable bottles are most likely taking advantage of this new scheme/ trend/frenzy/hype and pocketing the money themselves.

Either that, or their cans/bottles barcodes have yet to be updated in the machines and they're selling charging deposits too soon

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I got a tesco delivery on Friday. When I was ordering, no cans of pepsi in stock, no cans of Irn-Bru available. I hope the absence of stock is not related to the introduction of this scheme, and I certainly hope its not a permanent change. The Tesco delivery driver told me Tesco will not be collecting the empties. The driver who I know, said to me he's had more angry exchanges with customers since this came in, than in the previous 4 years put together as a Tesco driver.

I have been repeatedly told on this thread that we copied the fully functioning system from Germany, so I now have to ask if that is the case, why are so many people getting errors when using the system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The majority of issues reported on here are down to retailers and producers ballsing up - not registering barcodes, charging on out of scope product etc. Not the German retailers at that, but the Irish and British ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement