Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

In relation to my earlier post about the 6 year old girl brutally murdered by the IDF this was the ambulance that was sent to try and rescue her.

(Cue outrage from some about the source of the tweet while ignoring the content)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,363 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

"It's not our fault. It's Hamas' fault for putting him in with a family in a residential building"

Like the time they shot the three soldiers and an official spokesman said (I sh1t you not) as an excuse that "They were dressed like Palestinian civilians"

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TelephoneTag

1967 borders, a fully independent Palestinian state, reparations from Israel to it.

The right of return to all refugees.

A UN force to protect the Palestinian State from Israeli attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Maybe Chinese players will get all pissy before any match even occurs to make it easy for them.

Maybe they'll post provocative photos posing with military personnel who are currently engaged in the mailing and killing of thousands of innocent civilians and think that's okay

Maybe they'll be the ones to say politics should be kept out of sport but then go ahead and introduce it themselves

A poll taken after 2 months of relentless bombing is going to skew opinions. Maybe ask on October 8th

But the post was about posters here,, so again stop trying to be another one mangling people's posts. Do better

• Advertisement

There's also the 2014 shooting of children on the beach playing football from an Israeli ship with some of the most sophisticated military equipment you could imagine because they mistook them for soldiers noone got reprimanded, then they shelled a group of children the very same week.

It's human shields when it suits Israel. It's tunnels when it suits them. It's children that looked like militants. It's hostages dressed as fighters.

There's only so many versions of the same excuse they can troy out. They simply don't care about Palestinians.

As much as we have to call out any sort of anti Jewish , anti semitic incitement, or calls for death etc, er have to treat Israels absolute abhorrent treatment of Palestinians with the very same contempt.

It's not antisemitic to criticize Israel for how it treats Palestinians. We can do so, also without being accused of being Hamas supporters or even sympathetic to them.

Israel is now making a rod for its own back. There will be gazans growing up now with nothing but hare and a lust for revenge. There will be many more who won't no violence ever again, but it's going to happen.

Bibi should be tried for war crimes. He's no better than Milosovic and his ilk at this stage. He knows it

Post edited by Weepsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

You obviously don't understand the Irish at all if you think we are controlled by the Catholic Church still.

You are sounding like you eat up the propaganda like that US- Israeli basketball player who tarred us as antisemitic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You know it's bad when your closest ally admits what you are doing is over the top. The Israeli Govermment don't care what anyone else thinks, except for the US Government.

Will some who praised Joe back in October now turn on him. Has Joe become anti semitic? That's the absurd levels we are going to when a person is accused of being anti semitic for refusing to shake hands with someone else. The very people throwing out the accusation wouldn't have a problem with an Irish person not shaking hands with a Russian player who was seen posing with Russian soliders. There would be no accusations of being a Russian phobe in that scenario.

The wheels are definitely coming loose for Israel. If they are to recover any notion of a respectable democratic nation, they are going to have to change the current situation drastically. I think the Israelis know this - they have to boot Netanyahu and his warmongers firmly into touch.

If they don't, things can only get worse.

Haaretz:

Moody's Downgrades Israel's Credit Rating for First Time in Country's History, Outlook Lowered to 'Negative'

Moody's decision to not only lower Israel's credit rating, but to downgrade its credit outlook, has caught officials in Jerusalem by surprise. While it is still too early to determine the financial ramifications of the move, it represents a severe blow to Israel's international image.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

'Severe blow to Israels image'

I can think of a few other examples that would be damaging Israels image.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it already has security in full.

it would have even greater security if it went back within it's actual borders.

israel's genocide of the palestinian people along with everything else it is guilty as charged on, has nothing to do with security, it's to do with greed, self entitlement and religious extremism.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Israeli Border Police Killed a 4-year-old Palestinian Girl, Then Took 10 Days to Return Her Body

Border Police opened fire indiscriminately at a vehicle that tried to burst through a checkpoint, also firing 32 rounds into a taxi carrying a mother and her children. One of them, a little girl, was shot dead.

Ruqayya Jahalin was going to celebrate her fifth birthday on February 9, 2024. But that will never happen because about a month ago, she was shot and killed by Israel Border Police troops. They fired no fewer than 32 rounds at the shared taxi in which the little girl was traveling with her mother, sisters and brother, on their way home, in the West Bank. Miraculously, she was the only person killed by the insane, indiscriminate gunfire. 

Haaretz

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NoMoreDonegalTuesdays

Israel doesn't care about its image. It cares about power and influence so it can continue to genocide with impunity and have every power centre in the world cowering in fear of pointing out they're doing anything wrong.

"This time we're telling the truth!"

They need to add Trumpian "believe me" qualifiers on all of their official comms from now on!

• Advertisement

I agree that the Govt. doesn't care. But with Biden's "over the top" comment and a Moody's downgrade, I'd imagine the War Cabinet realises the game is up unless they do something drastic.

Recent statements, news reports, investigations etc. are shining a light on Israeli trustworthiness. That will come into even more focus when Israel has to report back to the ICJ. There are already hints that SA may ask the ICJ to apply additional measures.

If they give the green light to go ahead with an offense on Rafah, I think that might be the last straw.

Whilst world power centres have given Israel a wide berth to continue, even they are realising world opinion is not on their side. Some are already acting. I believe more will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NoMoreDonegalTuesdays

Netanyahu will not give up power easily and he depends on prolonging genocide and war. I have little doubt he sees all this in the same way Putin saw the invasion of Ukraine and how Trump sees the destruction of America.

Never underestimate how far an evil savage is willing to go to get what they want. Neither Netanyahu nor Israel are rational actors here. Israel wont care about the most tepid of tepid dissociations by western leaders from their genocide.

Given the support the US provides, any wavering in that will, I think, rattle Netanyahu enough.

And that wavering of US support is already happening. Sanctioned settlers, restrictions on use of US supplied weapons, Moody's downgrade etc.

Hostage families are rightly becoming more hostile given the 100% promises and 0% action. The confirmed death if another loved one, likely by the IDF, and the lies around it are incensing them.

Already, 50%+ of Israelis are calling for elections. Protests are a common occurrence.

Rafah offensive and ICJ report will be crucial. If the first goes ahead and/or the second goes badly (additional measures) I think there will be a heave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Israel can't be treated with any semblance of diplomacy after this. The amount of evidence of their massacres is truly astonishing. They are not a rational actor in global affairs.

They should be an International Pariah.

I agree with you mostly, but I'd like to think that many ordinary Israeli citizens are as horrified as the rest of the world. I know Israeli friends are disgusted with the actions of their government. Prior to Oct 7th they were protesting regularly at Netanyahu's proposed actions on the judiciary (which was rightly rejected).

I'd therefore separate the warmongers from "normal" people. The warmongers and lunatic right must be dealt with either internally or via the ICC. IDF soldiers guilty of crimes must be dealt with and be seen to be dealt with.

Ordinary Israeli citizens who know this is wrong should not pay the price for the nutters.

No more than the average Palestinian should pay the price for Hamas.

I think Israel is a hair's breadth from being a pariah. It may well become one. But if the nutters go and there is a determined effort to come to peace with Palestinians, it can be redeemed in the future.

That all said, it depends what happens next - if they do go all in on Rafah, I think it'll be game over and Israel will be remembered only for Genocide in the same way Germany is remembered for the Holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TelephoneTag

Pressure needs to be put on Israel and its supporters in America.

Boycott their businesses, heckle them on the street, call their employers, let them know what savagery and genocide they support.

Drum them out of Democratic party, out of govt.

We are all Palestinian because they see us as just as worthless.

Without America, Israel will not stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I wonder what it will take to get Israel kicked out of the Eurovision song contest? They should never have been included.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

So you are justifying Hamas on 7th Oct.

Your analogy has been done to death earlier in the thread loads of time. It’s rubbish because among other reasons a, it’s made up nonsense and b, the IRA were not in government, Hamas were c, Irish Govn didn’t attack the UK. Etc etc etc

Post edited by Hey boy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭nachouser

Another day, another preventable death of a child.

"Trapped in the vehicle and surrounded by her dead relatives, for three hours she pleaded with the Red Crescent to save her."

Advertisement