Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭chalky_ie

How are you determining that the pricing of that house is dysfunctional, though? Go around the world to any major city and find a highly desirable suburb, pick a house right beside a village and public transport lines and I'm sure you can find similar, South Dublin is just a very expensive place to live now. I'm not arguing that the exact price is what it should be, but I'm sure it will sell for in and around that, and there will probably be a number of people interested at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Keynesian economics on steroids has caused this balloon in asset prices for western countries, all in the name of chasing that golden goose of GDP. The CB influence is staggering at the minute, there is no such thing as a free market now.

That's a nice bit of word salad, but it's not really refuting anything I've said. Housing in nice areas is a finite thing, when the economy is doing well in a very wealthy country people have money and spend it on houses in nice areas with good amenities. Any new builds in that area will be on some patch of land that was usually undesirable until this point, it's not surprising that the price of a house in a great location is more than most would deem 'good value' for the actual property itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The majority if people will buy tge most expensive house they can afford or buy a house that needs work and poured money into that.

When an economy is going string this will always lead to house price inflation. Normally FTB's would nearly get completly squeezed out of such a market. Builders would be building for mover uppers or thise doing extensions.

However with the different HTB and tge house refurbishment grant the government has loaded the deck in favour of them. This has probably left a bitter taste in some who own smaller properties and see the government supports working against them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

more low or no income migrants too and looks like big changes coming with AI which could shortly put a severe dent in some high incomes as well - so yes the environment is definitely changing all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

Heres another house for the posters in the thread questioning how dysfunctional the housing market is: an €860k C2 BER, ex-council house:

https://lisney.com/property/ard-nua-newtownpark-avenue-blackrock-co-dublin/

Not much change from a million euro for a small ex council house, a 45-60min commute from the city center, is absolutely bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Nothing shocking about this. That looks like a fair price to me based on the location. The rule of thumb seems to be €200k per room for any house in the right area in south Dublin.

You are delusional, 125m2 is not small, it has a big back garden, in a very nice area. I would say that's a decent price, it doesn't matter that it was a council house 50 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

I’d be shocked if that doesn’t go for well over asking.

Walk-in condition (kitchen is a bit dated but might be to some tastes).

Excellent, private front drive way with parking for several cars. Massive back garden. All on Newtownpark Avenue . Bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its not that the house is bad in itself as a house/location, its perfectly reasonable and in a nice area. Its the price of it for what you get.

Dun Laoghaire's median household income is €68k. That house is over 12 times median household income. For that ratio in an anyway functioning housing market you'd have an exceptionally nice house, not an ex-council house of that size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

I think the market is dysfunctional but I don't think the examples being posted are great examples of that dysfunction. Houses in the nicest parts of town are going to go for decent money. I can go out to eat at the weekend, leave Drury Street car park and be back on my sofa in 25 minutes with that last house.

Forget Kensington or Chelsea, I could find ex local authority housing that sold for seven figures in Hackney.

The median household income of Dun Laoghaire bears no relevance to the price of that house. Places evolve, my parent's estate is half full of single income, older families either retired or nearing retirement, and new families, dual income or single income making comparatively way more money than my father ever made.

The price of the homes when my parents bought was far cheaper(accounting for inflation) than what they cost now, because the town they exist in is not the same town it was 40 years ago. Dun Laoghaire's median income takes into account generations of people, who were able to buy homes there at various points in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If you think they are the same thing, then by all means take 50k of your own savings, add 200k of borrowed money to it to put into the S&P (with your portfolio as security), and come back to us in a few years to let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Median income of 68k is about 20K above the national average. The house you are BS about is about 1400sqft which is over 40% larger than most new 3 bed semiD's. With a back garden doubke the size of modern ones and a front garden as big as a town house's back garden. The house is in very liveable condition.

Basically you are beginning to lose it

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Caquas

None of these currently offer reliable returns. Even within the period we are discussing i.e. the past 7 years, it was possible to lose money on the S&P and lose a lot more on Nasdaq, gold or Brent crude. Every chart for the last 7 years shows sustained downturns i.e. you lose if you mistime your trades.

You may say that these markets provided reliable gains for long-term investors but I could point to earlier eras of long-term losses in all these markets. How many decades would I need to hold on if the market crashed tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

great area and great house ! City center is no longer gold standard to compare how far houses are from there ! Price is probably 100k-120k over what its worth but there are ppl have minted/saved money last three years to absorb that overvalue !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

2 stories from this week that reminds us of How Ireland works.

Nothing learned from the crash or any other major state malfunction in the past under FFG. Continue on as before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Augme

Given the fact that we keep voting them I to government it's hardly surprising nothing changes with FFG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Because we can zoom out and look at what's happened over decades. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my grandfather comfortably afforded a very similar house on a single income whilst simultaneously supporting a family of five, and he was just a very average civil servant. That house is today totally out of reach of anyone in a similar economic position. Thus, we can see that the price of housing has risen well beyond the rate of inflation.

I'll grant that "dysfunctional" may not be the adjective to use as it implies that we once had a functional housing situation here, whatever that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The Irish property market does offer not reliable returns either. If you adjust for inflation, prices actually fell last year.

You can indeed point to earlier losses in those markets. As someone who lost a huge amount of money in a previous property crash, I can assure you it’s not restricted to stocks and commodities. Having bought in 2006, I can further assure you that mistiming your moves in the property market is very possible and very, very costly.

Anyone buying this house or any other houses needs to be well prepared for such losses, hence the lending rules and absence of 100% mortgages.

• Advertisement

where did I say they were the same?

The argument was that the increase in the value of this house was PHENOMENAL. That’s the words of the shinnerbots, not me btw.

It very clearly isn’t.

Well it is higher than would be expected.

Not comparable to actual investments in a company that is inventing or creating something.

You also have to take into account that you have the use of the house for that time, and are putting wear and tear on it as well.

Again.

The guy asked where else you could get that sort of return. I told him.

If people get upset when the facts don’t align with their political beliefs, then maybe it’s time to reassess those beliefs.

Well you could also have suggested they could have put all their money on whatever horse won the grand national last year.

Return is meaningless without reference to associated risk.

Your grandfather lived in an Ireland that was absolutely nothing like the Ireland of today. His experience has no bearing on the current day situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Caquas

Contrary to the received wisdom, capital gains have been modest in the Irish residential property market even after the recovery. As you can see from this CSO chart, there have been just 36 months of strong price growth in the past 15 years i.e. where y-o-y price growth exceeded 10%.

Again contrary to received wisdom, Dublin prices grew slower than the rest of Ireland post-crash. Dublin prices increased by 192% in the past 10 years while national prices increased by 206%. That sounds a lot but it is just around 7% compounded annually and that is only for those who timed their entry perfectly. Anyone who bought in Dublin in 2018 is looking at a nominal return of 3% compounded annually which has been largely eroded by inflation. As you will know only too well, timing of market entry is important but timing of the exit is make-or-break. I don't believe the market is about to crash but the Central Bank will ensure that capital gains in real terms will be very low i.e residential property lending growth is strictly tied to growth in earnings which is barely keeping pace with inflation.

Contrary to all that Marxist nonsense from M. Piketty, it is often the case that and Ireland provides an extreme example: our g far outstrips the r available to Irish investors. Since the GFC, there has been a global problem where no one can offer a steady and dependable return on capital so investors pile into whatever is the latest hot ticket - crypto, NFTs, AI, FANG, modern art, GameStop, biomed etc. - until the market sours and the divil takes the hindmost. Even the S&P 500, traditionally the broadest measure of the greatest market, has depended on a handful of stocks for all of its recent gains, including stocks like Tesla and Nvidia which have many of the hallmarks for bubble stocks. Central Banks created trillions of dollars/euros/yen which can't find a secure home.

I think this might be a true "crisis of capitalism" but the Marxists can't see it as such and no European political party, even the so called "far-right", dares to show concern for investors.

Post edited by Caquas on

Don't be silly. You are ignoring - to borrow a term - the reasonably large convenience yield of holding that property.

Return is meaningless without reference to associated risk.

which is exactly what you’re doing

You’re acting as though buying this house in 2017 came with a guaranteed 62% gain over the next 7 years. It absolutely did not and anyone saying it did is engaging in massive revisionism.

i don’t expect the SF shills to be even remotely embarrassed by revisionism by the way, not when it’s the party’s number one policy across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Would you livr your grandfather's life to have that same home? No foreign travel, possibly no central heating, no netflix/TV, no broadband, no new clothes, no restaurants, no nice food from the supermarket? So many people love to use this argument of how well their grandparents had it, but wouldn't live the life of their grandparents for 10 minutes.

• Advertisement

Eh, I have no idea what you are on about - do you know yourself? Ranting about SF etc. Not one poster on here claimed that anything specific was foreseeable. They only pointed out that the number which experienced was not what it should be in a functioning market.

The pity party for those who were temporarily in negative equity, before being bailed out indirectly by state supports ended a few years back.

Advertisement