Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Always thought this is the best. If a robust system like that was put in place it would give the public a hell of a lot more confidence in the system than most have now.

The genuine get to remain and the chancers get turned around quickly.

Isn't that all that is asked for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There's bucking the trend, there's really bucking the trend and then there's the Green Party

All the graphs in the poll show a trend like this for our GP friends

Looks like SF have shot themselves in the foot

Green voters are mostly the preserve of South Dublin - sheltered from negatives of high levels of immigration so absolutely no surprise there.

Sinn Féin working class areas heavily effected so no surprise there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I know - I'm just showing it in plain green and red for all to see

It's a great chart. It shows crystal clearly the public is not happy at the direction of travel and want reform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Aren't the EU member states, including Ireland, in the process of implementing Europe-wide reform of the asylum and migration approach?

Not once, ever, is it mentioned on these threads. No — the fact that there are attempts to try address the situation into the future, to try introduce a more seamless and integrated identification procedure, to try secure the external borders of the EU .... all of this is omitted from the discussion entirely in favour of the usual whingefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Maths? What maths? This is the sum total of your “explanation”…

“The population has definitely increased artificially.”

That’s it, no explanation, nothing whatsoever to back that statement up and certainly no maths. Now you what me to disprove something that doesn’t exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

Still though our country would be doing better if only say 10k were leaving and 30k coming back, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Fantastic chart. The Green party sticking out like an extended green middle finger to the majority of the country.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

And the Greens want less carbon footprint cutting down the amount of cattle, cars and electricity within our country but sure lets open the floor gates for more people??? Never again will I give a preference/transfer vote to the GP... Complete deluded bunch

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

[10/2/24] Majority want tighter immigration rules in Ireland - 2/2/24 - 6/2/24 Irish Times/Ipsos B&A opinion poll:

• 6 in 10 voters (59%) favor a “more closed policy” on immigration, 
    • 16% backing a “more open” policy. 
    • 48% express a view they believe immigration has been a positive for Ireland, 
    • 35% say it has been a negative.
    • 69% have “some concerns” about asylum seekers/refugees accommodated in their local area
    • 30% would be more or less likely to vote for a candidate “who voiced concerns about immigration”, 20% said they would be less likely & 40% said it would make no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That actually seems balanced and measured and what you would expect to show up in a current Irish opinion poll on immigration. No sign of 'extreme' views and quite nuanced overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Giving a grand total pf 2.3 %...most of whom are from neighbouring East Asian states with cultural similarities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_of_Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

ROC government reports that 95 to 97 percent of Taiwan's population is of the Han Chinese ethnicity,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Taiwan

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

Notice the text in that IT article focuses on immigrants in general. Again conflating legal migrants with asylum scammers. And in their weekend review section they focus on Indian IT and healthcare workers. Once again nothing to do with the asylum scam. Deliberate misinformation by our media and government

Comments like this though really do make me question whether you are someone who actually has thought deeply and critically about migration or whether you are someone who just likes crying about it. If you can't see how the chain reaction works re migration into the EU and how that chain works its way to our borders then I dont know what else to tell you.

The key to better border control in Ireland lies in a coordinated approach with our European partners. A concerted effort to secure the external borders, help the nations on those borders (including Italy and Greece), and collaborate and co-operate on fair sharing of the burden means that we might actually be able to implement a more effective system of moving rejected applicants or deportees back across the EU.

But hey, I don't expect this conversation to go anywhere — because nobody here is actually interested in solutions. Instead, a big crying match is all we get with a carousel of people claiming to have such infinitely higher levels of wisdom, common sense and affinity with the real people of Ireland than the loony lefties — while conveniently avoiding delving into addressing the complexities that lie behind the soundbites they use (for example, deportations).

There are also major geopolitical differences that get ignored in the Asia examples that are always rolled out.

Japan and South Korea are both large, free economies whose only neighbours in the region are China, North Korea and Far East Russia. North Korea is effectively locked away (which in turn makes South Korea pretty difficult to reach), China is an economic megapower, while there isn't really major incentive for Japanese workers to migrate en masse to South Korea or vice versa as they offer largely the same economic opportunity and relative social freedom.

Furthermore, as you mention, Taiwan is effectively built on immigration and — should China start doing anything like what Russia have been doing in Ukraine (mechanised invasion and warfare), many of the 23 million Taiwanese would invariably flee and places like South Korea and Japan will probably end up taking a fair few on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Interesting graph above.

Yet more evidence that mass, transformative immigration is bitterly unpopular among the Irish people; just as it is bitterly unpopular among all the native peoples of Europe, and always has been.

It's interesting to me that Green Party supporters (a small and uniquely sheltered demographic) are the only featured group in favour of a "more open" immigration policy; though I struggle to imagine how the current immoral shambles that passes for an immigration policy could be any more open.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You're probably reading too much into the depth of sentiment in the poll. I'd hazard a guess a good 95%+ of the people polled would regard the tricolour brigade we saw marching in town the other day as total headbangers / lunatics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

With about 100k Urainian refugees, we have almost 130k refugees here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ah, they are in the process of it are they? Very reassuring.

Usual whingefest- sure thing, no one is buying the refugee scam anymore as the poll today shows. (Apart from a few greens in the leafy suburbs, bless em)

Oh sorry yes, I forgot that reform can't be a process. Silly me. Deport all refugees into the magic portal to another dimension and anyone who disagrees is a leafy suburb snowflake.

Is that better?

The EU have been sitting on their hands the past 10 years on the mass amount of human trafficking happening off the coast of Africa ...

Oh actually they have made some progress on increasing the immigration mess

• Sending multiple warships into the med collecting tens of thousands of trafficked people mostly men each year...
    • Paying bribes in the tune of billions to Turkey to keep them from flooding Europe with Syrians/ people from the middle east.
    • Allowing NGOs to continue ship collections in med and coming to port, mostly in Italy and Spain.

All the above will not deter people from risking their lives drowning in the med, the human traffickers are placing these people on rubber tubes then the EU collects them a mile or 2 off the African coast. Many economic migrants are paying thousands or all their life savings on that trip and the EU is facilitating it.

On top of that, we now have people just rocking up on a flight demanding refugee, the EU is a complete soft touch mess. This will push people to the right and will create some hairy days for the whole EU project down the road.. People are just asking to enforce the boarders but yet completely ignored!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Steviemak7

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Steviemak7

Who immigrated from China. Taiwan as mentioned earlier was built and made successful by huge immigration from China

The portal is probably as realistic as Roderick promising asylum seekers keys to their own pad after 4 months here whereas other eu countries are raising the drawbridge.

Just be thankful the poll was on general immigrants and not refugees - small mercies for the leafy suburb dwellers!

What's that? EU countries are raising the drawbridge? That seems slightly at odds with your statement barely minutes ago that the EU is sitting on its hands.

Which is it then?

I'm sure the EU are very happy with Poland, Hungary, Danish asylum seeker policy- aren't they?

Much rejoicing in Brussels with the new prime minister in Holland no doubt also!

Why can't they all be like paddy eh?

• Advertisement

"But people need to understand that pushing to the right isn't actually going to fix the issue"

How do you know that? the EU have been facilitating this trafficking with warships collecting hundreds of thousands off the coast of Africa.

"unless you support killing refugees on the spot" "if you don't kill someone then the laws of physics provide that this person has to go somewhere"

Absolutely mental statements, I had to double read that. Why are you talking about killing people, you're "Scaremongering" as some other posters accused me for looking for stricter/proper controls on our boarders. So I'm seeking better boarder controls so automatically means I want to kill refugees, insane thinking... Expect that sort of comment from a teenager in a Uni society, clueless!

"And if you say deport them, deport them to where?"

Refuse the bogus asylum seekers arriving up to our shores especially from safe countries. Do exactly what Denmark, Belgium, Sweden (the list goes on) are doing, refusing these bogus seekers back to where their from.

"And if you say deport them, deport them to where? To what cost? With what plan? With what cooperation from the other countries that we might need to transfer them across? With what good will from the countries that are struggling who the developed world simply tries to dump at their door every single day? Why are deportations difficult a lot of the time? Why do the Dublin Regulations not work? Why do most applications to re-assign refugees to the safe EU country they travelled through fail? How do you fix that?"

I never said deport once , again you're pushing a narrative on me. Ask a million questions don't add to the debate here and say insane statements about supporting the killing refugees. How you're able to keep that comment up is incredible, disgusting comment!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement