Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Was in Tesco earlier and they had reduced a load of drinks in plastic bottles, water, soft drinks etc. The sign said it was reduced because of the deposit scheme. I presume they want to sell off all the old stock and that's their own business.

But I went into the off licence part to buy some beer and they had stock reduced there too for the same reason. But this was on the boxes of glass bottled beer, the ones with 12 or 16 in a box.

Surely they know glass bottles aren't included.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Because we are two weeks in and in the transition phase. Of course there are teething problems. Like any new project. It’s been running for 20 years in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

There was always going to be a challenge with this. A number of producers, particularly those not producing on the island retained their original barcodes. Some of the larger producers changed most of their barcodes and certainly those of larger selling skus. The goal of changing was to make sure that there was a clear distinction between what was in the scheme and old stock that wasnt. However, some producers werent in a position to do that, as their sales in ROI would not justify a separate barcode. As annoying as this has been in the opening weeks, the alternative was either those products essentially leaving the market temporarily or permanently.

There was also an issue with some smaller niche retailers registering barcodes from the larger producers, which technically they were allowed to do, because they may have been taking product in from overseas, but that meant that there was potentially multiple barcodes for the same product. That has been cleaned up fairly effectively in the opening days, but it definitely caused problems in the first 2-3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Opinion poll here. The headline would suggest re-turn is already a big hit, but don't read that headline in isolation.

Because a 'big majority' were recycling before, close to the 71% "will support" found here. Also 71% might be a majority, but it's a good bit off the 90% target, and the 98% in Pfandland.

Some of the sentiment reported reflects dissent in this forum, it's not just internet cranks who are disillusioned.

The 21% of don't knows will be where our target is met or lost; to meet the target the vast majority of them will need to engage.

I predict a 2027 doubling of deposit values, (30c / 50c) to force compliance, as at that stage it will be clear we are not on course for 90%. The only available tool re-turn has is the deposit value.

PS Newstalk don't seem to have been given the re-turn media asset pack, their images are obviously stock / generic.

• Advertisement

If they get those numbers in year one, they will be fine. No scheme gets everyone on board at the start. As people become normalised to it, the numbers will go up. it will also helpt when the old stock all gets flushed out. You will never get everyone, but those numbers would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Ive used the German system. It's simpler than the one here.

Why did they not start adding the RePak logo to bottles and cans a year ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I don't see how increasing the deposit will enforce compliance it will more likely change buying habits.

Wake me up when it's all over.

They’d really want to put a recycling bin next to the return machine. I just saw someone try to use one and about 90% of the bottles she tried to put in were rejected. She then put the entire three shopping bag loads straight into the normal litter bins

(and was muttering that it was a f**ing joke and typical.. etc etc couldn’t organise a pi$$ up in a brewery in Ireland etc etc)

As a user experience it’s very poor. The ins and outs of barcodes, labels and back office accounting aren’t going to impress most people.

They’re being left with a big bag of bottles and cans that they diligently brought along.

There is an expectation that these things “just work.” If they don’t, people will just get annoyed with it and not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭A Law

Because then people could stock pile and they'd be handing back deposits that were never paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why do you think that! Our local rural bottle bank is well placed for the neighbours to be watching what's going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So what really?

Trivial sums... and more items going towards our recycling targets. End goal seems to have been forgotten about in favour of fumbling in the greasy till and letting shops rip off customers and dumping of items that would go into green bin.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

But...but.. you'll screw up Mr.Foley's statistics. And he'll get very upset and have to invent some other metric by which to declare success and keep his cushy salary.

What specifically is simpler about it? The RVMs are almost equivalent.

What would adding logos years ago do? The logos do nothing on the cans….theyre just logos

It needed a few million invested by the state and the industry. You write that off as a marketing overhead. Instead they’ve done it on the cheap and pedantic and will just give people a lousy impression of it.

The way to roll it out was.

1. Rollout the logos and register all the barcodes.
    2. Get the machines in place
    3. Start accepting cans and bottles for several months with zero refund or a very small one, to minimise cost until the system beds in.
    4. Launch with the full deposit.

It would be slower and it might be a bit more expensive but this is a user experience and communication fiasco.

Anyone who understands consumer behaviour knows that you can’t expect people to do complex things, and it’s even worse when the complex things don’t seem to work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So basically are you proposing a 12 month transition period instead of the current 4 month one ?

You'll see the manufacturers, distributors & retailers all squeal very hard if they try to push the deposit up to force compliance. Jobs on the line etc

I’d have thought 12 months would have been reasonable. 4 months is way too ambitious, particularly with the system only partially working.

You can’t expect consumers to jump though hoops to fix a badly implemented system. That’s what they’re doing and it will pi$$ a lot of people off and give a very poor impression of the deposit / return scheme.

Whatever transition period would have avoided the screwups happening at the moment leading to people being incorrectly charged deposits and lots of stuff being dumped in regular bins cos the machine rejects them.

The highly paid staff at Re-turn doing a great job justifying their quango arent they?

I’d be cautious about those surveys. You’re capturing people’s intentions only. It’s too soon to capture their experiences of using the scheme.

It shows people are enthusiastic. Not that they’ve used it and will continue to.

• Advertisement

The idea of a longer transition is on the face of it an attractive one.

It's something we haven't discussed in detail.

I'm left wondering why they didn't go for it or was it ever considered.

If the machines were live for a long period with no deposit and consumers could still throw the containers in the green bin who would bother with the RVM ?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Or as someone suggested you get a token sum eg 2c per item returned to RVM that is recognised as a can or plastic bottle? No deposit paid.

Could that have been a runner I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Simpler in that you have to remembers which shop sold you certain items cause they can't go back anywhere?

I don't consider that simpler...

They also have, I believe, six different deposit rates rather than two; and charge 25c on conventional cans/PET bottles.

If an increased deposit changes buying habits that helps the ratio: less items sold increases the ratio just as more items being returned does (less single use containers is better for the environment too).

I am not in any way advocating for a higher deposit. I am totally against the scheme: all I am saying is, in the event it looks like Ireland might not meet our target, there is no other lever I can think of that re-take / government can pull.

Perhaps we will meet the target, I know many good contributors here believe we will, I might be completely wrong.

I'm not sure people would bother over a long, say 6 to 9 month period just for the sake of an experiment with a "reward" of 2c.

The stock changeover seems to be causing the main headache and that would have to happen anyway at some point.

If it wasn't for the 500 and whatever barcodes things might have gone much better.

I was looking forward to just old stock with no deposit and new stock with deposit on the shelves beside each other for a few months.

The 500 + barcode issue was the wildcard that complicated things.

Squeal yes, but they would probably accept it.

For producers, it effects everyone equally, so no specific damage to any one producer. Maybe a small overall drop in demand. Against that, a higher consumer deposit may reduce producer fees as re-turn is not-for-profit. More importantly though, the producers continue to be able to use plastic / aluminium, much better than being forced back to glass, or to find another way.

For retailers, you'd imagine they would get a higher fee commensurate with the deposit.

Almost equivalent. I keep hearing "we pretty much copied the German model", pretty much and almost equivalent.

Bottom line is, we didn't copy the German model, we 've re-invented the wheel. The RVMs are not the ones they use in Germany. They don't accept a crate of bottles. They don't accept glass, so you have to take your glass bottles elsewhere.

What would adding logos years ago do? The logos do nothing on the cans….theyre just logos

That's not what RePak said around the launch date. It's only because a huge number of products have had a deposit charged on them that they switched to using the barcode. The original plan had been for the machine to check for the repak logo. And if you are correct and the logo does nothing, then why put a logo on to begin with?

Don't know where you got that idea from. Thats not how it works there.

The longer the transition the more the room for confusion. A number of schemes went for hard start dates. That involved producers uplifting product and there was no way the producers here were agreeing.

The 4 month transition was a compromise, particularly for the beer companies who needed a longer one. Soft drink companies tend to have shorter delivery schedules.

• Advertisement

I said the RVMs are almost equivalent. They functionally work the same.

Do you have any evidence to support that logo claim? That’s the first I’ve heard of that. The RVMs cannot recognise the logo and it’s not in their spec. The barcode makes sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement