Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

What do people think are the chances of this motion passing? At least it's good to see some attempt being made to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 black and amber rock

The big problem at the moment seems to be the lack of forwards we have. Does anyone know if Luke Connellan, Paul Cody, Cathal Beirne, Denis Walsh, Ian Byrne and Eoin Guilfoyle are still on the panel? I would like to know what forwards we are working with this year.

Also I thought we see more of Paul Henabry and Stephen Donelly both good with their clubs last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I don't ever agree with Barry Kelly but I do with this. If it does pass I presume it won't be implemented until next year. Meanwhile every team should just throw the ball. The refs will either ignore or blow BOTH teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

‘75% of handpasses are fouls’

Love a bit of nonsense being spouted to try and create a narrative.

There is no way on earth they analyses every single handpass at perfect quality to fact-check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

Every team should continue to throw the ball u mean or are u saying only some teams do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

A very tricky assignment awaits kk Saturday night. We have a poor enough record in cork. If cork get a run on us they will murder us. We will want to turn it into a arm wrestle. Theres talk jordon molloy might be out that he picked up a knock. He was one of only a few bright sparks.maybe the might try Corcoran again at 3 and lawlor at 6. Brillant to see mikey back he will be a big addition. Cian kenny was also very good last weekend. John Donnelly was excellent for thomastown so he will bring a bit of vision and better quality of ball. Luke hogan one is a suprise alright but its very clear that we are very lightweight in attack. He definitely isnt to bad and is worth a run. Theres a few others stinking it out consistently and repeatedly get picked . I would prefer to see stephen donnelly but he must be injured.i think harry shine will have to be persistent with and last week will stand to him.

cork will obviously want to get the win in front of their own and a poor enough showing the last day but you would be hoping theres a reaction in our lads after only gettin 7 points from play the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

Would of thought Stephen Donnelly would be given a run based on club form and David Fogarty.

Hopefully kilkenny put in a good performance and find something to build on.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Bar Mullen, Reid and Deegan that’s more or less Kilkennys championship team for the summer.

I don’t think we will win an all Ireland with Ritchie reid centre back, Wexford ran through the centre as they pleased in the second half last week so hopefully Darragh Corcoran shows something at number 6 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Mullen is playing. I'd be horrified to think 13 of today's teams are championships starters. I'd hope 8-9 max.

Number 1 for Kilkenny is to win Leinster. At the present time, no team will beat Limerick. We need to focus on the rest, for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Team for the Championship.

Darren Brennan

Mikey Butler. Darragh Corcoran. Jordan Molloy

David Blanchfield. Huw Lawlor. Mikey Carey.

Kevin Blanchfield. Conor Heary.

Paddy Deegan. John Donnelly. Tom Phelan.

Adrian Mullen. TJ Reid. Eoin Cody

Change needed in goal for distribution purposes.

Most teams only play 2 inside and Molloy would do a good job as sweeper.

The spine of our defence needs readjusting. If Corcoran could work at 3 then this could release Huw to 6.

Tell the 3 Shamrocks lads in the full forward line to go for a goal every time. Bring out Mullen if we need a 4th half forward.

Paddy Deegan, John Donnelly, David Blanchfield, Mikey Carey and Tom Phelan to pick off the points.

Kevin Blanchfield and Paddy Deegan to punch the holes.

Heary to win the ball and frees.

Nice balance

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Looking at corcoran the last few years he works a lot better at 3 than 6. The risk is taking lawlor out of full back but its worth a shot in the league. Beat of luck to hogan at full forward. It would be great to see a positive performance from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Little or no chance.

Handpassing/Throwing, Steps,Hurley and bas size, sliotars that a 4-year-old can catch and strike, are all making the game ridiculously simple, and the trophies will be won by the best coached and best resourced teams.

Little will change because aesthetically it all looks great, speedy, ball being precisely drilled to hand, lovely triangles of zippy passes (2 throws and a brick flick off a bas the size of  small frying pan), points from 100 yards out that clear the top of the posts. Cue orgasms of "oh my word, what skill levels " etc. Abut much of it made possible by cheating and gaming the rules of the game and equipment.

It's the equivalent of rugby allowing knock ons, forward passes and offsides to not really be reffed very strictly and maybe allow Velcro gloves that make catching simple . Result, tonnes ofgreat tries from all over the pitch, Ireland beats England 85-72. “What a game we’ve seen here”.

But rugby isn’t that dumb, if they were, 7s would have taken over long ago.

On the chasm in resources between counties, the gaudiest showiest sporting event in the world, the Superbowl tomorrow night, will see Kansas City try to win their 3rd title in 5 years. So, what you might ask? Except there are 36 cities in the US with larger populations than Kansas City. In GAA, they'd be a Longford or Carlow demographically, but they can compete for the trophies because the NFL and NBA and MLB all realise their product is better served by not a allowing a tiny handful of massive cities take the titles every year via a vast outspend of their smaller city rivals. Lobsided games and half empty stadiums doesn't sell.

Sooner or later the GAA needs to develop a model that caps senior teams and guarantees the smaller teams a minimum funding. And the gap between the cap and the minimum guaranteed funding for smaller counties cannot be a chasm. Maybe 1m max and 500k guaranteed min.

If it doesn’t, the inter county model is finished.

Very early in the year to be naming a championship team, particularly when you're including some players who will need the entire league to prove they're ready for championship hurling. Jordan Molloy played one match, surely he can't be judged on that? Club hurling is totally different. Heary hasn't convinced me to the extent that I'd be starting him in the Championship. The same goes for K Blanchfield.

A championship team is time enough being selected after the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Me too, but not beyond the league. I couldn't say if Heary, Molloy, Blanchfield etc are championship material at this stage. Obviously I hope they do make sufficient progress in the league.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I really wish people would stop trying to move the best full back in the country out of full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ttowncat

Minors took a big trimming in challenge against Cork. Their first touch wasnt very good and if they had that sharper it would have really gave them a bit of flow and momentum in the game. Ultimately the same story of cork having a larger pick of athletes with speed and good skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Post edited by jonniegoogle on

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

We should be 13 points behind instead of 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Hurled very well for 25 minutes. Missed a hatfull of chances and have allowed cork back into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Comerman

Someone needs to tell Murphy that a long lobbing ball is useless to any half forward

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The_Tank

Puckout meltdown part Deux..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

2 takeaways:

We don't have a puck out that gets the ball between our 45 and 65. It's either 21 yard line or long.

All over the field the decision making is poor. Like, really really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Bring on Wally and back to long puck outs that don't work. 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The_Tank

To be honest that puckout routine with the hand passes and looping runners was really good in the first half. It takes away the variables with a strike so it’s much better percentage wise and suits some of our jittery defenders. But for some reason we stopped doing it. Regardless of Cork improving that was baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

Nice to win.

But 2 poor enough teams, us slightly less poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭kksaints

Weird match, we destroyed Cork in the first 25 minutes and then were second best for most of the rest of the match bar some brief moments. 3 of our starting forwards were very poor with Billy Ryan not in the first half at all, Luke Hogan having a debut in which nothing happened for him and Conor Heary who got on a fair bit of ball in the 1st half but did nothing with it. On the other hand Mullen looked really sharp and scored some fantastic points from play. Eoin Cody was good in the first half but wasn't in the second half at all, John Donnelly scored a crucial point at the end but hadn't done much before then. Drennan did well when he came on and Wally Walsh was unlucky with the goal chance (the replay looks like the Cork Defender slapped him in the side of the head while making the attempted hook, that's surely a foul at least) however bring him on did lead to us going route one with the puckouts which I'll come to later.

Cian Kenny and Carey were good in the first half but less effective in the second half. Kenny is very good at finding space at times but he fades in and out of matches. Shane Murphy had a very good debut with lots of hard running and a very good score. Blanchfield and Corcoran did reasonably well. We leave Huw Lawlor too isolated at times, I thought he was lucky not to be sent half when he stopped Horgan from running onto the loose ball towards the end especially as he had already been booked. Didn't see much of Mikey Butler bar an awful misplaced pass, Tommy Walsh did fine in his individual battle.

Murphy's puckouts have been an issue for years and were highlighted again tonight. He quite simply cannot pick a player out unless they're in the full backline. If he can't do that he'll just bomb them down high on the tallest player in the forward line (Donnelly or Walsh). In modern hurling that is quite simply not good enough. We need a keeper to be able to pick out a half back or a midfielder with the puckouts, otherwise the opposition just bunches their backline up and even if we do get a clean catch our player is swamped up and more often than not loses possession. At this stage he shouldn't be playing in the league as either Brennan or Tallis have better puckouts and need game time and it's questionable as to whether he should be starting in the Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Billy Ryan cannot be an automatic starter for much longer. Kilkenny is not a club team where you are an automatic starter. He is there 5/6 years with little impact

Post edited by Village87 on

Advertisement