Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Team for Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'd much rather the Fitzgibbon players were allowed to recover. Last week Sean Walsh started brightly but was clearly flagging after half time. I felt that Reuban Halloran was flogged this time last year and then didn't feature.

Of the four Fitzgibbon semi finalists, three of their centre backs are named in that team. UCC are the remaining team and Iarla Daly would be centre back for them and probably Waterford if fit and available.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kentu

Kilkenny man here folks,

I'd be hopeful for your chances this year in Munster if your management team can get things in order, would love to see Tadgh De Burca back fit and stay fit, one of my favourite hurlers to watch over last 10 years or so. If injuries occur I'd imagine you might be that bit short on defensive cover though, up front you have forwards as good as any other county in Stephen Bennett (Hopefully his hips don't affect him as the year goes along), Dessie, 2 Fitzgeralds look serious prospects also, Michael Kiely has potential but hasn't shown it at county level just yet, Patrick Curran, Peter Hogan, Montgomery, Jack Prendergast and I would rather see Jack Fagan in the forwards if I were ye. Serious hand on him your probably that bit short of another ball winner like him.

It's gonna be so competitive in Munster yet again but I give yous every chance of getting out if as I said your squad get the best out of themselves, well capable in my opinion.

Where did WIT play there home games before Carriganore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Could have being even better but Offaly drawing with Wexford good for us .

Current standings

I'd take a draw tomorrow to get more points on the board

Cork be gunning for a win in Round 3 against us

Post edited by PTH2009 on

• Registered Users Posts: 39,549 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭supernova5

Kilkenny and Cork's scoring difference is incorrect in this league chart

Up the deise

Hopefully the start of a few weekend travels

Great work done up here esp on the North Stand

It's the hope that kills ya

Lot of aimless play and mess of puck outs

Hopefully not a serious injury for Stephen Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

mixed the good with the awful ,shooting not great, and positioning poor across the pitch, some balls were goin in to 5 on 2, aimless typical davy stuff. despite that there were some ood phases of play, but not scoring for 16 minutes was ridiculous

Started messing around with tactics last league campaign and nobody any wiser come championship . First real test and here we go again , although these games are glorified friendlies now Clare were there for the taking we don’t want to drop a division and this not a great look .

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

The definition of insanity: Using the same tactics that failed so miserably last year in trying to swarm the midfield and hand pass the ball up the pitch. I wouldn't mind but ye have one of the top corner forwards in the game and a guy who scored goals for fun from full forward in the Fitzgibbon. And ye don't play to yere strengths at all, just to the only tactics yere management team know. Crazy stuff and I'm definitely putting money on Waterford to finish last again in Munster this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

It's so frustrating. I nearly wish Tipp had battered us in the last game and Davy was forced out

That was absolutely atrocious.

we’re not even trying to play the game just grind down the opposition because it’s the only way this sham of a manager knows

dreadful to watch and dreadful performance

why can’t lads put 2 hands on the Hurley when bending down to pick the ball up

that’s the basics of coaching when your 6 years old

Very hard to fathom the damage the the co board have done to this team in bringing back you know who

It’s no surprise some of our best players are opting out. I read somewhere during the week that Stephen Bennett was advised to retire due to his hips if o was him I’d question why he’s still there risking his health for this rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

And if Bennett is that bad, why flog him on heavy pitches in the league. He didn’t look good coming off today.

a game we could have won but didn’t deserve to either. Not a whole lot to take from it other than our panel is not as strong as previous years. We do have players to come back but they’re all older and battered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

paddy leavy is a perfect example of this , first half as sweeper he had a fine game , second half hardly mentioned by the commentator why , waterford were playing with the wind and paddy as an extra defender about 30 yards away from where the game was being played at all times

fitz never changes his tactics especially this one , it drove me mad , the idea in clare was to compensate for the lack of pace for david mcinerney and patrick o connor back in 2013 but waterford dont have the same problem and he persists with it , if paddy had been pushed into midfield as an extra man it would have forced our extra man at the back to push out and expose all our defenders in to man to man situations, we brought on morey to play as cover for the last 20 minutes and all our attacks were down the flanks as to avoid the sweeper

the problem is , waterford have 7 or 8 players to come back into the side for the championship but it wont matter whos there because the same tactics will apply

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

At that age and level, it should not make a difference if you use one or two hands when rising a ball.

This whole "two hands on the hurley when rising a ball" is a myth and I don't know how it has lasted this long.

When did we change flags ?

Someone with a new style up on the Keanes road end

Noticed that. someone with a very strong arm!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

We could have snatched a draw but probably didn't deserve it after only scoring 3 points in the first 30 minutes of 2nd half. It was a poor enough game especially in 2nd half and hurling seems to be less exciting in recent years with too much short passing, rucks and frees.

The PA system was embarrassing today but overall the new Walsh Park looked good and the pitch held up despite a day of heavy rain yesterday.

Found the North Stand great, i imagine it wont be allocated seating for games and those rows & numbers are there for H&S etc

Is the next phase building the stand and dressing rooms on the keanes road end, something like Nowlan Park ?

Not only was the PA embarrassing but from a few trips to the newly upgraded Walsh Park, I’ve noticed that there appears to be a few dodgy seats. Hopefully these were just randomly poorly installed ones as opposed to a sign that we cheaped out and they’ll all start breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

hopefully there will be , a roof on the north side of the ground would be great , it takes about 20 years to get it now with planning , but i imagine this is it for a while , and looking at donal og last night on rte there is no need for big expansions , i think it would be better to move high demand games to other counties rather then doing up a stadium for two games a year

the pitch came under scrutiny from our lads (players) today , but thurles looked way worse , i imagine the faithleg lads will have walsh park looking like a cricket pavilion by may

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Apart from the depressingly poor performance-- First big game at the revamped Walsh Park and what do we have: No toilet for people in the 'new'stand, have to walk around to the other side to a filthy packed toilet, unless you are female then you have to queue outside beside the huge queue trying to use the tiny shop.

A joke of a PA in the revamped press box, Jesus it was embarrassing the f'#ing speaker making f'#ing farting noises. Not a sign of an advertisement around the ground.

I was following the Tipp v Galway game and even the Tipp Gaa tweets were sponsored!!

We have no Waterford gear to buy because Azzuri wont release new gear without the sponsor on it and even at that the range of gear is pitiful compared to other counties. The amount of revenue that is being missed out on is a joke and god knows how much our 'coach' is sucking out of the coffers. On the hurling side, the same as last year. all system and no hurling, but unlike last year he doesn't have Austin Gleeson to throw on to save games. We're at nothing until that bluffer is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

I was in the covered stand and found it a vast improvement so looking forward to the rest of the work being completed.

From being in proximity to Davy, he tried to micromanage everything which is almost impossible. Calling numbers for puckout strategy so lads would go to specific positions, telling lads where to hit frees and sidelines, telling lads where to position themselves but on numerous occasions, I seen lads put their hands to their ears as they couldn’t hear him. It’s ridiculous trying to do that, it’s not tonight’s Super Bowl where coaches can instruct play by play and likewise, in the heat of championship, it won’t be possible. There needs to be a leader, your goalkeeper usually, signalling for puckouts, not the lunatic of a manager on the sideline trying to control everything. Hurling is a game where the players have to make the decisions in following a game plan as instructed by managers but there has to be freedom to play the game in front of them as well.

I’m not as negative as many of the posters so far. I actually thought against the breeze, they set up well and managed the game well and it was a stiff breeze to play against. One thing I saw, from Gaelic Statsman on Instagram, apparently Waterford only won 6 of their 17 puckouts in the 1st half which is a very worrying statistic if correct. Positives in the 1st half were that Clare never looked like getting a goal with Leavy doing well, Montgomery (despite his poor shot selection) went well at midfield and the very raw Seán Walsh gave Conor Cleary the world of problems.

However, the 2nd half was a poor performance from both management and players. As someone stated, ridiculously Paddy Leavy sat in the exact same position in the 2nd half and had no effect on the game other than his late point compared to the 1st half where he covered very well. I’m going to focus on the positives though and again, Clare created no goal chance, Conor Ryan really grew into the game, Shane Bennett made an impact as did Darragh Lyons.

A game that should have been won but not all negative going forward to the Cork game in 2 weeks.

Advertisement