Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Alonso is the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Leverkusen play nice football. Quick, lots of one touch passes, hard running and fully committed.

Bayern are crap though. Never thought Tuchel was up to much. Picking Eric Dier at CB is an awful decision. Bizarre signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

There is something really wrong with three players like Szobo, Trent and Thiago getting injured again in same spot just after returning. Whatever about 1 player but 3 is a pattern.

we’ve played a lot of games in the last month but all three had most of that time out so either they are being rushed back which is hard to tell as they all ended out for longer than we thought at first or something is really out with medical side of things.

Bogey away game for us next week but hopefully defensively more solid with Konate, Ali and Gomez back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Bayer Leverkusen with a 3-0 win, great last goal with Neuer up for a corner in the last minute and Leverkusen breaking away to score. You can see they look a well drilled team even if they do not play anything like we do, I don't think. But a new coach you probably need a change in style and system as well so if we do get Xabi in it will be interesting to see what he does.

As for Tuchel, not sure he is that great. Almost lost the league last year and needed a Dortmund meltdown on the last day to win the title and they looked so poor in this match. They are a shadow of themselves and with the players they have they really should be playing better than they are.

It is pretty damn incredible what he's doing there

17 wins, 4 draws, no defeats

That's the equivalent of a 99pt season in the prem, and only two teams have ever managed that

Agree, it is a worrying trend. Hopefully it's just a crazy coincidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Very impressive alright, I thought this fixture was going to be a massive test but it turn out that way at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Leverkusen’s continued record is even more impressive given they lost their top scorer (Boniface) to injury at AFCON, likely out till April at least. But they’ve just kept rolling on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great win today, considering all the absentees, at this stage it's all about getting the 3 points and moving onto the next game.

Great win for Leverkusen against Bayern, and yet some on here still wondering why Alonso is being linked to take over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I like Alonso - and am somewhat open to him being Klopp's replacement - but can completely understand why some would question him being linked at this stage of his career. There is a significant difference between managing Leverkusen and Liverpool.

It's great to see what he is doing there, but Bayern are rubbish. Tuchel is a fraud, I'd fancy my chances against him in a 2 horse race which is what the Bundesliga is at the moment. In saying that, I love watching it.

It shouldn’t even be them in a 2 horse race… by rights and expectation Leverkusen should be 4th at best really, behind Bayern, Dortmund, and Leipzig. The fact he’s doing this with Leverkusen is so so impressive.

(special mention for Sebastian Hoeness another young coach who’s impressing with Stuttgart, keeping up with the other four)

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I was at the game today and that's how I saw too. Just lazy, piss-weak, passive defending on a few occasions. Was that why he was hooked at half time?

Came off with a reoccurrence of his knee injury. Hopefully not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Correct me if i'm wrong but Alonso took over when they were in the bottom 3 before Christmas 2022, went from there to getting europe in the same season, and now looking favourite for a league title ahead of (on paper) an excellent Bayern team in his second year.

His lack of experience is the only doubt, this Liverpool team don't act like they are superstars, they are not arrogant or they don't have big ego's, what i'm saying is they are not hard managed, like say utd or chelsea for example, so his lack of experience may not be that big of a deal.

I'd welcome Alonso, think it can be a great match.

Liverpool will be a different situation for the next manager to come into than the usual too -- usually managers are coming into a failed situation, with the previous lad having been sacked. This is one of the very rare times a manager is coming into a decent situation and can fine tune rather than rebuild entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Anybody know why the thank button is no longer working on this forum?

It's a bug in the 'private/groups' forums. Vanilla apparently working on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭Damien360

Not sure it's just tweaking but you are right it's not a failed situation for the new manager.

Trent floating is not something any manager should want but we have Bradley coming through. We got very exposed with Trent for the first half and it's not the first time. If he wasnt English it wouldn't be tolerated by pundits, commentators and that can turn fans.

VVD has maybe one more season with us. Quansah fills that role nicely.

Midfield still needs a true number 6 despite Endo and Macalister.

Nunez still fires too many blanks despite the genuine chaos he creates when he is on the pitch. I think we are better with him than without but again will a new manager tolerate that.

Salah is gone this summer.

A lot of those are in vital positions and it will cost money. The success of that transition starts with the money the club is willing to spend.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Mo stay. Madrid about the only likely destination if he goes, and they may blow their cash on Mbappe's wages. PSG maybe, but they've stopped spending big since the World Cup ended (raising the profile of the WC being the main reason for the PSG project). Definitely don't see Mo going to Saudi at this stage of his career - maybe in 3 years.

VVD I wouldn't be surprised by a new contract as well.

A new manager may want new options up front, though i'd say not for at least a year, and I don't think Nunez is one to be changed yet since he's so versatile and effective right across the front 3 - more likely Gakpo would be the one to go.

Trent's position is an issue alright. Would hope we see him get a bit of time playing at 6 this season, with Szobo and Mac with him in midfield - IF it's something he could adapt to, then it fixes a few problems in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I was hoping for a big performance today after the arsenal game but we didn't get it,I honestly thought we were poor again,Burnley could easily have had 2 more goals

Big improvement needed if we are gonna mount a serious challenge to city from here on in

If we play like that at home to city we can forget it

I'd say the same about City today in their game tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Not disputing the fact he's still very early in his management career and klopp will be an extremely difficult act to follow, but, the job Alonso has done with Leverkusen has been outstanding, even if they don't go on and win the league.

There is no outstanding candidate with experience available like when Klopp was appointed, so it's not difficult to understand why Alonso is being linked, in fact it would be strange if he wasn't, but, some on here were wondering why he was even being linked. Would I like if he had another year or two experience under his belt, yes, of course, but, he's probably the best fit for us when Klopp goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm not sure why anyone would feel Alonso being linked to us would be strange. Who is out there that would be considerable better and available? I can't really think of many excellent managers around the place.

It's an odd time now alright - there's very few guys in that sort of experienced-but-still-progressive 45-55 year old bracket. Most of the biggest names are older now, 55-70, while then there's a bunch of talented but somewhat unproven lads under 45.

Alonso would be top of my list for sure. With a squad as good as ours, and a beloved manager leaving, it's hard to find someone who can come in and instantly have the respect and buy-in of everyone - players, club, fans - and can keep the momentum going. I think Xabi has that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Enzokk

We have to be honest with ourselves, the person coming in to replace Klopp may not be a success. This may not be their fault as we have a defense so replace and the players we have in place in midfield and attack may not be the players they want either. So there could be a period where we either adapt to a new manager and wait for them to bring in their style and players but they are proven winners, Mourinho as an example, or we go with someone that could offer the promise of success.

I am open to going with someone like Alonso, it could end terribly if he does not sustain the success and progress he has shown, but then again we could go for a more seasoned name and it could end up the same but with an ego in charge that damages the team and splits the fanbase. I mean we are already a bunch of people who think our opinion matters more and is more pertinent that anyone else, add in a divisive figure in charge and it is just a recipe for disaster. At least Alonso has played for us and he has shown he is able to compete with a bigger and better resourced team. That is what we are going to need, if the Premier League only gives a slap on the hand to City.

A manager coming into after a successful manager is really up against it.

Look at the state of Utd. They are still looking for a proper replacement. No league title in 11 years. We should look at how much they fucked up and try not to replicate.

I've been wary of getting Alonso, but if he manages to win the Bundesliga then it's obviously a different story.

Is Ancellotti free in the summer? Another born winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Simeone but I don't think I'd like to see his tactics at Liverpool.

• Advertisement

The reality is the next manager could do an excellent job and still not win a whole lot. Klopp has done an insanely good job yet is likely to leave having won only the one league title, so hard to expect the next manager to start winning league titles up against City, unless City are punished properly or Pep leaves, then it's difficult to see any other team winning the league. Also over the last few seasons we have tended to follow one good season with a bad season. There will also be a period of adjustment so expectations for next season should really be lowered.

Ancellotti would be a great replacement, probably one of the few managers who could step in and replace Klopp without missing a beat, but, I think his history as Everton and Chelsea manager plus all the losses his Madrid side inflicted on us and his age would rule him out, plus I think his contract with Madrid is not up yet and they look like winning La liga again, so unlikely to get sacked. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at United at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ancelotti signed an extension with Real a few weeks ago. My guess is they'll go for Alonso in summer 2025 if he's doesn't leave Leverkusen this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Where was it announced that Salah is leaving in the summer?

Another reason to get Alonso before some other team snap him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Those two coming back from illness.

Mo potentially available but hasn't played a game

Sobo available but not having played a game.

Trent weirdly being injured,playing, being injured again and now who knows.

Konate should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

All I'll say is it worked out pretty well the last time we hired the last manager to beat Bayern to a league title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yep. Agree with you questioning this. People piece a logic together and everyone decides that's the only possible outcome.

Where's he going? Why would he go to Saudi? If he was money mad he would have left at the last contract negotiation.

PSG are going backwards. He's always prioritised being competitive. He's definitely not in Reals top two strikers.

Running out of options now.

People seem to think that he was a good negotiator in the last round that he can't wait to leave. He didn't prostrate himself at the feet of the club.

I think he looks at his whole career and feels a lot of loyalty to Liverpool. He was on the verge of being a journeyman top player. If Liverpool hadn't come in maybe utd or Everton could have added him to their list of careers ruined.

And even if he's being financially prudent Liverpool is part of his brand. He'll be just another face at those other clubs.

He also doesn't have to move if he didn't want to. He can stick it out for another year before getting a signing bonus somewhere else.

Pretty sure a new manager will say do not sell. There's no director of football so most officials at the club are going to try to avoid being the fella that sold Salah under a new managers feet.

Liverpool stand to earn €90 million in prize money, tv money, gates and sales from a decent CL run into the knockouts. Salah is probably worth €65 million with one year left on his contract. That's in one competition.

Matip and Thiago are likey to go. A new manager might look at the rest of the squad and question who are the overperformers that might drop off a cliff once Klopp is gone and wonder does he need to fill those gaps. Keeping his top players might be his top priority. Could easily see Alonso arranging a meeting to tell Salah how excited he is to work with him. He's got an exciting #10 role to play for him.

Nothing is definite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I'd prefer having Roddy Collins in charge. Don't care how much he's achieved at Atletico. It's his tactics, his manner, everything. A wide steer. We won't be going there anyway. It's Alonso's gig if he wants it, I'm pretty sure, and I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Not a chance Simeone leaves his 40mil a year contract!

And gladly for us anyway, I think Alonso has to be the no.1 target.

He's been sensational so far at Leverkusen and plays good football too. Any key players missing and another steps up all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Did you watch the City game earlier? Absolutely dreadful stuff....getting points on the board is all that matters at this stage of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

It's all that matters at any stage of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No one hugs Alonso, and Alonso hugs no one, he's so unpretentious😅 😅 He has the Benitez trait , '' the boss'' , the old school approach of being the manager. Klopp broke those rules, but he's a one off in that sense, there is only one Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The performances in the last 2 games haven't been great but like there are mitigating factors in both, who they were against etc.

I mean like yesterday alone, the second half started with reserve GK, kid at CB, a midfielder at RB. Couple of midfielders missing and the star of the team missing also. And they still came out and won the game.

That all came after a demoralising loss in the previous game, and more injuries to the players. Flu sweeping the camp. Etc.

What they are doing this season is fantastic given the number of hurdles that have had to overcome. Another one now next week with the extra game thrown in before the cup final.

Exactly, people expecting peak Jurgen pressing monster football with everything that's going on are living in a dream world...its just get the points and move on.

I remember the 21/22 season. We were something like 10 points off City in January, but we won something like 16 of the remaining 19 games to get pipped by a point on the last day.

We were absolutely awful for 10 maybe 11 of those 19 games, but we still got the job done and got the points on the board. If we weren't dealing with the cheating s**mbags that this City side are, we would have walked to another title. This campaign has a similar feeling.

Unfortunately I think it'll be very similar this season and we could end up losing out by a point again. Realistically we are going to have to beat City to have any chance of winning the league as I can't see any team doing us favours, the last few times it was between ourselves and City no other team really did us any favours.

In 21/22, we left ourselves too much to do, I think the gap was 8 points with the same amount of games played, City got complacent and sloppy dropped a few points surprisingly, we went on a roll, clise the gap but, once we didn't beat City towards the end of that season I knew we weren't going to win the league as City had gotten focused again and weren't going to let it slip. The fact that it's close now and with Arsenal also not far off means complacency won't be an issue for City this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Very true... though what he's already accomplished is already pretty immense. To be even remotely involved in a title race (let alone 5 points clear, undefeated after 21 games), and miles ahead of the likes of Dortmund and Leipzig is incredible.

From my memory or that season. We were actually still top and just needed to avoid defeat to City....we drew with a poor Spurs side, and that's what costs us.

• Advertisement

From memory it was always in City's hands, it was also in our hands up to the City game, but, we had to beat City to take it out of their hands, once we didn't we were relying on City to drop points; I think we drew against Spurs ( after the away leg against Villareal) and then City dropped points against West Ham I think, in retrospect had we beaten Spurs ( with City dropping points against West Ham ) we would likely have won the league. The spurs match was the only dropped points other than the City game from around February time, so it was always a tall order to overhaul City and I remember thinking the Spurs game was going to be the most dangerous game for us especially after a tiring away leg in Europe. I often wonder had we scored early on the last day, would City have came back against Villa or would the pressure have been too much for them.

Advertisement