Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda facing disciplinary hearing for helping elderly man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

• Registered Users Posts: 15,099 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I must have picked you up wrong.

I thought you were suggesting that the minister or some of her minions should have intervened.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

The bike was unclaimed for some time. If it was worth 15k or even a few hundered Euro the owner would have identified themselves or would have the bikeframe stamped.

This was most likely a second hand bike that the owner guessed would never be claimed.

This is not about a bike its about something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CK02384

Anyone know what the outcome of the hearing was?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m assuming the 3 year suspension was to carry out a wide reaching investigation - it was hardly accounting for every bicycle in lost and found for the last 20 years.

I doubt we’ll ever know - they’ve been other incidents of suspensions in recent times

5 years and counting for example - whilst on full pay, your life is still on hold all that time

https://m.sundayworld.com/news/irish-news/garda-accused-of-taking-cocaine-in-nightclub-has-been-suspended-on-full-pay-for-five-years/988339617.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A stupid boneheaded poor decision that benefits nobody. Silly manglement.

the Garda in question exercised woefully poor judgement in the manner of trying to help

I’d imagine he’d need significant re-training and re-reintegration on his return to duty having been out of action for that duration.

that said, pretty worryingly poor judgement on the behalf of that Garda not to email one of his superiors asking for permission…. Cover your arse and send a 3 line email… “ any way that bike could be repurposed to help x man ?”

The duration of the suspension is completely counter productive, doesn’t benefit the Garda, the organisation or the public….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You would think with all the stuff that's going on in Justice at the moment that somebody would say, this should be sorted out quietly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Update.

"A garda suspended for three years after he provided an elderly, isolated man with an unclaimed bicycle during the Covid pandemic now faces a further wait for the outcome of disciplinary proceedings against him.

The officer, who was only reinstated in recent months, has been on “restricted duties” at a midlands station since his return to work. The sworn disciplinary hearing into the accusations against him was adjourned last week.

In June 2020, gardaí from the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (NBCI) raided the home of the garda, who is nearing the end of an “exemplary” career.

The elderly man’s home was also visited by the NBCI and the bicycle was retrieved. The garda had only given the bicycle to the man a few weeks earlier, but had failed to fill out the necessary paperwork, it is understood.

Sources said the elderly man lived in a rural area and his own bicycle was unusable. The officer decided to give the “vulnerable and isolated” man an unclaimed bike recovered by gardaí “some time previously” as no one had come forward to claim it. The elderly man needed a bicycle to get to the shops during the pandemic, it is understood.

The garda was suspended immediately after his home was raided by the NBCI. It is understood this caused him “great distress”. He had “no idea” he was under investigation of any kind until gardaí arrived at his doorstep.​

The garda was only reinstated late last year following the completion of an NBCI investigation, which found he had “no criminal case” to answer. The officer attended disciplinary proceedings last Wednesday. However, the hearing did not have time to admit evidence from all the witnesses. The proceedings are being adjudicated on by a legal professional, a superintendent and a chief superintendent unconnected to the case.

It is understood up to five witnesses are yet to give evidence to the sworn inquiry. The garda, who has significant support from his peers over how his case was handled and the nature of the NBCI probe, is facing a number of potential sanctions. These include a reprimand, a fine, a caution and even dismissal from the force. He could also be cleared of all wrongdoing by the disciplinary inquiry."

Reading the above, it doesn't sound like the Garda in question is in any way dodgy despite what a number of people in this thread were hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The article uses highly subjective language. It is portraying the guard in the best possible light.

Who decides the person has had an "exemplary" career?

What even is an "exemplary" career?

I'm sure it's possible to write the very same article with the same information and make it sound very negative towards the guard.

Hopefully the correct and fair outcome is achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Also reads like no witnesses would give any information. And people wonder why it takes 3 years.

The entire thing reads like a wedge to look into further things. They failed to find anything or got no cooperation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He was cleared of any wrongdoing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Took the guards 3 years to investigate why a guard was suspended for giving an elderly man an unclaimed bike, why ??? I know there are some here saying there must be more to the story but unless the guard was running a local drug gang how could the investigation take 3 years. Even if he was (and I’m being sarcastic) what were the guards doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

What a time to be alive.

• Rules are for beginners, and thereafter fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Because they treat their own like sh1t.

if a civilian was charged, then had to wait over 3 years for the court case, it would be thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Maybe now this garda won't be as sloppy and lazy next time and fill out the form.

Yeah except it’s more likely he just won’t help anyone again.

A crock of shite to imply they deserved this shanty treatment over bureaucratics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Gardai are supposed to be disciplined force who wield powers more than any other citizen in the country. If he can't follow the process, fcuk him out of the job.

How would the local Tesco treat an employee tossing out €100 worth of food on the sly? A lot harsher than this person.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

how is it like that? how is it even close to comparable actually?

This Garda was just helping an elderly man in his community who’s bike had broken. yeah fair enough he should have asked a superior it was pretty foolish to say the least he didn’t.

But there’s no defence to drag the criminal and dislplincary process out of 3-4 years. Over a bike. Like the garda has his house raided by NCBI and you think he deserves that treatment for trying to help someone in the community? However misguided or misjudged the effort he did not deserve that sort of treatment from the same force who he’d given years to.

Like is it actually any wonder there’s Garda up and down the country hanging up their hats. For god sake they simply can’t do anything right.

Help someone vulnerable in the community and you should be sacked. But they also never do a thing to help anyone. Should be sacked for that too. I also got a fine for speeding and I was only doing 70km/h in a 50 zone but sure it was a clear road so that garda should be sacked as well. and one of them approached someone in Lidl the other day for driving without insurance too so I say that one should be sacked for harassment.

Dirty pigs sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

I came across this story a few months ago in Sunday paper and was absolutely astonished at the story and the fact that the Garda's house was raided with his family present and he was suspended.

Thankfully it seems that those at the top of Garda came to their senses but it took 3 years, what an absolute joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Are you sure you just didn't see it on the RTE news at 6.01 today like I did.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Not dissimilar to the HSE it seems the Gardai is ran by an army of middle managers these days.

No I don't watch the news, it was in the Sunday Independent months ago.

Actually that article was even worse because it outlined how the man lived in rural area and had no other mode of transport after his own bike broke and this was during Covid 19 when elderly people were at their most vulnerable.

The Garda only ever gave him a lend of the bike which had been sitting there unclaimed for yonks anyway.

They then raided his house like he was a criminal.

Honestly so much for Garda Community relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Wouldn't expect any less waste of money or peoples rights with this country.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That is honestly the most ridiculous case I've ever read. Bad enough he was suspended but it took 3 years to clear him? What was the purpose of raiding his house? He gave an elderly man an unclaimed bicycle.

I know I couldn't believe it when I orginially read it.

Supposedly his wife and children there and they came in and raided the house. Absolute madness.

Think about that vulnerable elderly man during lock down when they were actually told ring the Garda if you need help!

I actually used to see local Garda doing shopping for elderly people, will they be locked up now.

This Garda was doing his duty and look what happens to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ax530

Must have been someone in his own station who reported that he removed the bike

3 years to investigate and get him back to work is crazy. Esp if there are shortages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Well to answer the OP it's a job for life with very high pay for very low qualifications.

Very early retirement and a massive pension plus a shed load of extras not available to anyone outside the public sector.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement