Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

I'm not dressing anything up and I'm not familiar with the details of the Ukraine war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Even if the US/Biden changes it's mind in the next few months, the damage is done. The genocide is done. America and Biden will get no credit for withdrawing support (and I don't believe they will do that). Biden is a committed Zionist and has been his whole career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Even though I 100% support Israel's right to defend itself it is quite clear that Israel have been idiots throughout this recent chapter of this conflict it's also been quite clear that there is a percentage of Israeli's who appear to have a degree of glee over what is happening which is quite scummy just as the glee over the October 7th attacks was quite scummy as well. I think Israel's response has been disproportionate just like the bombing of Dresden and the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs were disproportionate.

They have been played like a fiddle by Hamas and the arab world.Hamas do not care about the Palestinian people one bit and are using them essentially as human shields so they can push the Evil Israeli's idea and gain sympathy world wide for  the Palestinian issue and islamic issues in general.Israel have done exactly what Hamas hoped they would and have effectively in the eyes of a lot of the world turned Israel into the bad guys.

If they want to get rid of Hamas and solve this situation once and for all they need to kill them with kindness and have killed Hamas leaders , cut the head off the snake and then went in took over Gaza and improved the lives of the Palestinians to the point where they realise how much Hamas was holding them back.People generally only need religious fundamentalism when their lives are so bad they have nothing else to hope for in life, improve the lives of the Palestinians under Israeli control add you'd play a part in eradicating Hamas and islamic fundamentalism.

All Israel's actions have achieved is to radicalise another generation of young Palestinians and young arabs and muslims against Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

The point being discussed was whether Israel was preventing the Palestinians holding elections. The answer for Gaza was no, it’s Hamas.

I don’t agree that Gaza was/is occupied since 2005. It could have been a great place but when the government focus on tunnel life rather than beach life…

Not everything bad in the region is Israel’s fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Important points; Hamas could end this conflict tomorrow, by surrendering. Their objective, however, isn't winning anything - just killing. They don't have any traditional 'war' objectives - if they did, you'd have expected them to sue for peace by now.

But, they'd rather sacrifice their fellow Gazans, they don't value Gazan lives. Remember they steal aid, too, as that brave Gazan grandmother said to Al Jazeera.

And they have tonnes of support, like Iran, and the Houthis.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And here we are, another day another israeli caught out with her lies

Sandra Ifrah, the spokesperson for Women United for Peace, admits that the story of the Israeli female detainees, in whom 67 different sperm were found, was a lie.

I think (just my opinion) that Hamas get more sustenance from all the protests/rallies etc that Israel takes chastisement. Ie, I think there a lot of useful idiots in the West who unwittingly may contribute to the conflict continuing longer than necessary as Hamas hope Israel will be told to stop before Hamas infrastructure etc in Gaza is totally destroyed.

Fairly scary that according to the IT article, Israel had declared UNWRA HQ in Gaza clear only to be told by Palestinians to go back and dig down to find the infrastructure below ground. It could take a long time to root all such infrastructure out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It's not justifying it. The reason it is happening is because there is a war.

Civilians being killed is beyond description. It's terrible, no words really describe the horror.

But it's war, that's why it's happening. That's the reason. That's not justifying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

"Up there" as you put it (nice bit of "othering" going on there I see) is where I grew up, and I can tell you that the IRA did nothing to help ordinary nationalists, and also that Gaza is a warning lesson for how life might have been in Northern Ireland if we had given electoral power to the IRA to run the place into the ground in the name of "destroying the British Empire".

Of course that never happened, because Sinn Fein never had a mandate to use the Northern Ireland economy in its "war effort" to kill random protestant women and children just for being protestant. There is no equivalent to October 7th in the Northern Ireland troubles, and ordinary nationalists would not have accepted that being done in their name.

It's ironic to see people from the south where they were all grand with Section 31 at the time, and accused John Hume of "betrayal" for trying to get peace by talking to the IRA, now going hook line and sinker for the exact opposite position, portraying the IRA as some sort of civil rights supporters.

They weren't, and nothing they did ever got civil rights for nationalists. It was the peace marches that did that. The IRA was wholly counterproductive in terms of the quality of life for ordinary nationalists. Like Hamas has destroyed life in Gaza. But at least we never had war crimes against babies being committed in our name.

I agree with a lot of this, but I do have a couple of nitpicks: "killing them with kindness" is exactly what Netanyahu hoped to do by allowing money from Qatar into Gaza. Look where that got him. There's a real problem when the elected government doesn't want to run the place for the benefit of its citizens, but rather to use that money to destroy its eternal enemy. How could they ensure the money went to the civilians and not to Hamas when Hamas were running all the civilian infrastructure?

So yes, after Oct 7th, it was clear that there was no cooperating with Hamas - but in practice it couldn't have been done before that date. Imagine the outcry if Israel had declared that it was removing Hamas from power preventively? Because how could they have bypassed Hamas while Hamas were still running the health and education systems?

As for radicalising another generation: going by the cheering in the streets of Gaza on Oct 7th, with a young woman's corpse being spat on, I'd say they were already as radicalised as makes no difference. And we know how that happened, since UNRWA were employing teachers who posted their joy at Oct 7th.

But on your main point about Hamas playing Israel - and the rest of the world - like puppets, I have to agree. As well as there being scum bags on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Every American adminstration (and Congress) has been an unwavering supporter of Israel. We should hardly be surprised by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

"killing them with kindness".

Is English perhaps not your first language. You appear to have mistranslated "bullets"

Has there ever been a 'democratic Palestine'? I don't believe so.

Although democracy isn't a concept that has ever really caught on the Middle East. Africa and Asia have been more enthusiastic adopters than the Arab world.

It's an interesting hypothetical though. Imagine if you will that Israel dismantled all illegal settlements in the West Bank and withdrew to the 1967 borders. What form of government would be established in Palestine?

You need certain conditions for proper and legitimate democracy to survive.

It is a better system, but does not guarantee infallibility. Case in point being the terrorist Israeli State currently playing out their genocidal and colonial fantasies.

One cannot say "Those people don't have a democracy and therefore they do not deserve to live"

As opposed to Hamas, which literally means "Islamic Resistance", and which celebrated winning the only elections ever held in Gaza by killing its Palestinian opponents. I don't think they're going to be interested in establishing a democracy, do you?

I was referring to the Israeli government policy of allowing Hamas to continue receiving money via Qatar in exchange for a sort of peace from Gaza. Or do you think this did not happen?

Again - and I seriously can't tell at this stage if you actually can't understand it or not -such structures only arise and persist because of the environment that people are in.

In the case of Palestine, their conditions were created and are controlled by Israel.

• Advertisement

You appear to claim that Netanyahu was killing them with "kindness" and I assumed you might have been mis-translating what they have been up to for decades

What was the stat? 33 kids killed in the West Bank in 2023 before Oct 7th? I don't think it was from catching a bad dose of "kindness"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,397 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's not a war. It's a massacre. A war involves 2 sides fighting

Nobody ever goes on about the war between the Nazis and Jews in the 1930's and 1940's.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,397 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hamas were effectively created by Israel when they took out the PLO who, while corrupt, were at least holding elections

That's because the Jewish army didn't massacre thousands of German civilians.

Simple really.

I didn't say any such thing and I'm sure you have the grace to recognise that. I'm here to debate in good faith, not to have statements imputed to me.

2 sides are fighting. There is a very large force asymmetry between them but there are most definitely 2 militarized forces in this conflict: the IDF and Hamas. Indeed the latter force initiated this war.

It's strange to claim otherwise.

You may have noticed that I had already edited the post to say "One cannot say". A few seconds after posting it. Because I meant the general "you".

You can check the timestamps on the post to verify. If I had edited it subsequently, it would "edited".

Fatah still rules the West Bank but hasn't held an election for almost twenty years.

• Advertisement

Advertisement