Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

From using it, all of two months ago

There are different deposits rates for reusable versus recyclable glass, plastic, and then cans and PET. reusable containers have to go back to somewhere that sells them

All very German and pointlessly petty

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

I'll raise you one.....our parish priest overlooks our bottle recycling site!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Yesterday I purchased 4 cans of beer from SuperValu. When I checked the receipt I saw each can had a 15c DRS Deposit added. But on the said cans, I don't see any DRS barcode! Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Same here, except for a small bottle of orange juice. I was actually going to post here but was worried I was missing something obvious as well

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

bloody scam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

@chewed @Simple@SimpleDimple

Were these multi packs, i.e. barcode on the box, but no barcode on each can?

If so, you should not have been charged any deposit. Your only recourse is to go back to the shop and get them to refund it.

Unfortunately this seems to be happening everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

yes, some items can still give back a deposit (due to a balls up with re-turn and international barcodes). Or the shop could be scamming.

Either way here is a link to a barcode checker, you can type the number on your barcode here to see if the item eligable to give you back a deposit https://re-turn.shanehastings.ie/ if your item shows up here then it means you can bring it back to most RVM's and get your deposit back.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

No, they were separate cans and each one had a 15c DRS charge

I've emailed SuperValu to ask them so will let you know what I hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's stuff like the above, plus the story a few posts earlier of the woman with 90% of her cans/bottles rejected by the machine that will sink this scheme.

People are being charged incorrectly, the machines are rejecting returns incorrectly, and people are being expected to type barcode numbers into a website or argue with the retailer to sort it out. This is all before they are hit with higher bin charges by their supplier who wants to make up the lost revenue on their side too.

I'll say it again. It's ridiculous nonsense and time wasting at best. Thievery and a scam to fund yet another quango at worst.

Even allowing for the infamous "Irish twist" that botches everything we supposedly just copy from elsewhere, this is just a mess from start to finish.

How anyone can defend or attempt to explain away this is beyond me.

hopefully all works out well for you in the end. We might need to ask for/keep receipts in future because of this sort of lark going on. Some items without a logo give deposits back and some don't. Also be sure to read my previous reply to you (the one containing the barcode checker thingy) it would save you the bother of having to drink the cans and go all the way down to the nearest rvm, if wanting to know if it will give a refund on your deposit.

if that dont work, keeping the receipt and going to customer service is the only way to get it back i imagine

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Not defending the scheme and not a fan of it but I don't think the early teething problems like this will sink it. It's here to stay unfortunately.

The only thing that would sink it would be if people stopped buying the products on a mass basis but that would never happen. As long as the producers and retailers are kept happy that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I got caught out with a 4 can multi pack. No barcode on cans. Brought them back and got my 60cent back.

But some people saying shops are trying to scam people? Surely any money a shop takes just goes to the re return company, as refunds can and are given, most times, somewhere else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

Wouldn't that be something. If people actually rejected an obvious scam for once in this country and boycotted every Re-Turn product.

Even if it did happen we'd end up paying for it somehow.

it only goes to re-turn if the products barcode is registered and eligable for the scheme, otherwise it goes into the shops pocket. if it went to re-turn then how would the shop be able to give it back to you when asking for a refund on the deposits you paid for non-eligable stock?

The way the system is designed, the store already pays the cost upfront for in-scope return eligable stock, but if they're willy nilly just gonna put deposits on everything else also, its clearly taking advantage of people who are not bothered with attempting to get their deposits back, or who give up once they see an item has no barcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

Just one of many bottles seen in st Annes park this morning. Would it still swimm there if you could claim a 15 Cent deposit? Don't think so. Should have been introduced ages ago..

x..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭popsmar

What is the barcode and the name of the Cairns and product?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭popsmar

What is the name of the product and code on it that you were charged the deposit for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Don't think a 15 cent deposit will make the slightest difference to that type of littering. Hope I'm wrong.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

It might not make a difference to the initial act of littering but I think the poster is suggesting that they or someone might have picked it up if it was worth 15 cents instead of just taking a picture of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Could have been avoided by properly managing it and trialing it …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

Exactly my point. Yes, there will be still I*iots out that think a park is a kip, But someone else will get a small reward for cleaning after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

How would a trial work?

If it was voluntary, I'd continue to put everything in the green bin, it's easier. No shop would sign up, very few people would engage, what would be learned?

They're genuine questions, I've no idea how you could trial this

There are pro's and con's to every system. To me, the difference it would have made if the bottle was worth 15 cents is that i would have dived in to retrieve the bottle in an instant, but for some other people in the world i'm assuming that the attention gained from posting such a picture is worth more to them than the 15 cents.

(and also i don't own a camera phone so taking a picture is'nt an option/luxury i have)

The pro's is a cleaner environment, and people like myself willing to make some attempt at retreaving the bottle.

The con's is the initial deposit charge itself, and also some possibility of people deliberate throwing away bottles with a deposit on them to cause intentional outrage, and then taking a picture of it and posting it after setting the stage, and staging the photo.

The reason i bring this up, is because in the early days of instagram people were staging photos and ruining the environment for the sake of online pictures. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LarUwtyUw-s i'm not saying that is the case here with this bottle return scheme situation, but it opens up a doorway of that potentionally happening is what im saying

How it would work: it would give them an example of what to expect and experiance how to deal with the problems that arise, so that when they make the initial official launch of the scheme goes live, there would be much less hiccups on day 1 and more efficiency aswell as people becoming used to the scheme and accustomed on what to do if something does'nt work.

essentially a trial would have helped iron out the wrinkles and help provide better experiance and understanding of the scheme on both ends, the consumer and for re-turn. Aswell as a chance to demonstrate a small example of what the return rate would be like.

There are a couple of ways they re-turn could have trialed this, but it would require them putting their hand in their pocket, something they're entirely against.

Could the scheme not have started in one county, could the deposit not be applied to existing bar codes(nationwide) and not multipacks?

It could of course have been trialed, if something can’t be trialed or tested it shouldn’t be launched. I’d hazard a guess that it wasn’t trialed as it was decided it was happening and that was it - had their been a trial the population would have had a genuine chance to see it in action and let their feelings be known.

It’s a dumb idea, with an even dumber implementation. All it seems to have managed to do is drive prices up across the board and generally annoy the population of the country for no tangible gain except maybe to count some plastic bottles for the EU. That’s without including the obvious additional carbon footprint of going to the machines, the building of the machines, the power the machines use , the addition of a fleet of trucks, the thermal paper etc.

“you are supposed to bring your bottles back when you go on your normal shop”

Since the retailers can do what they want they have made that an absolute impossibility for many users. My example of Lidl not having a bin for rejections and someone else’s of a super valu having it in the locked post till exit zone - bizzare. The only retailer who I have observed making it any bit “convenient is Aldi” and they have obviously put masses of cash into making it so.

Even if it was lying at the side of the footpath, and there were 100s of them ready to pick up and return, to a shop on the corner....the chances are that all of them will be rejected, due to shape, Fading, or dirt, bar code not readable, I would say (If its been on the ground more than a day).

If that's the case, do the shops clearly know what they are doing?

This probably makes it even more important to report them?

What happens when you do report them on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

as with Irish bottles going to any of the 14 european countries with a scheme, the importing company will either have to include the Irish scheme logo on their cans/bottles or over-sticker them. Its pretty common around Europe for cans to have multiple drs scheme logos on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

You won't be able to import them. That simple.

• Advertisement

Local Tesco also not a bad experience - good set up with the machine and a place to leave rejections.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement