Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭nhg

So do we, we were under the impression that we were supposed to rinse out all bottles, cans, shampoo bottles, washing detergent bottles, milk cartons etc

We will continue to rinse out any bottles, cans etc & let them dry before we put them into our shopping bag to bring them to a RVM unit, the unit in our local Aldi has another unit beside the RMV for rejects.

Our local SV has an RMV unit after you pass through the checkout area on the way to the exit door - a bit stupid as you cannot enter the store through this door meaning you have to either pass out through the checkout area, use the RMV unit & go back into the store again through the checkout area to do your shopping or carry the recyclables with you when doing your shop - not going to happen for me anyway as I have never used a trolly or basket since covid - I still shop using my own shopping bag.

I do a small shop every day or every second day for what we need as I work remotely it gets me out of the house - I don’t do a big weekly shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

interesting, and yes i think they deliberately do this by design which makes it more awkward for us and conveinent for them (the location of RVM's being inside some supermarkets.) as for the likes of aldi and lidl so far i have seen them at the front doors, or near abouts, but tesco and such usually located inside way deep inside as far as i've seen.

However how does any of this explain the other guy calling me picky? from your answer/response i still don't understand how i'm meant to be picky

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Your picky because you are complaining about every little bit of the scheme even when it's been pointed out you are wrong. You still drone on.

I'm not sure what cleaning your recyables has to do with anything.

asking "why don't they clean the recyclables instead of letting them go to waste" is a fair legitimate question. Can't say the same for your responses as they are often just personal attacks or something containing an expression of bias towards what people say. #

"I'm not sure what cleaning your recyables has to do with anything." the post i replied to was about contamination, and 1 bannana ruining a whole bin of recycleables. It's got everything to do with it.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

I haven't personally attacked anyone. If you think so please refer any post to the mods and let them decide.

If there was a cost effective way clean it up I am sure they would. Let's not forget. It may be more than 1 bin that's contimated. Perhaps the whole lorry.

Washing bottles at home is not on the scale as a recycling centre as you well know.

• Advertisement

a recycling centre could set up a more industrialized way of cleaning recycleables im sure. otherwise its alot of recycleables from a truck load all going to waste just because of something like a nappy or bannana chucked in, which is such a waste of potential recycling to produce raw materials.

Water is cheap, is there something like a power washer that can blast the dirt off? or maybe something to keep them steeping in that kills the germs and un-contaminates them. This can be done on a mass scale in bulk if needed, i just think its an awful shame to lose 3 truck loads of recycleables just because one person put something non-recyceable in each of them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,623 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Clearly are still some teething issues with the scheme.

My other half went back with four bottles, deposit paid on all (I had a little marker on lid so I knew) to M&S in liffey valley. Two of them accepted no issues two no chance, tried multiple times.

Glad I bulk bought a load of cans before the deposit scheme came in.

Some reading for you. Nappies seem to be a big problem. I'm not sure washing off human waste is practical and then have that warlstre reused as starter material for a new plastic bottle.

finished reading that article just now. Nowhere in it does is say anything about it being too difficult or unpractical to clean the goods.

all it says that related to what i posted, is "sorting plants must decide whether it’s practicable to recycle that material or whether it will have to be disposed of as waste"

it did little to noting to actually explain about contaminating, it only says the effect contaminating has. Nothing new was gained from any of this. i was hoping to find an explanation on why they cannot clean the recycleables. feels like a bait-and-switch. what was the point of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Irn Bru is only made in Scotland. I get a pack every couple of weeks. I went to order some during the week and Tesco said they were out of stock of the cans, but had bottles of Irn Bru Xtra, which is the sugar free version. Just checked and they had no Irn Bru at all.

To say I'm worried is an understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Not an issue. They can still be imported as long as they're registered with Re-turn. The logo will have to be incorporated in the can design in the next few months (along with existing logos for other schemes in any other countries the bottles/cans are imported into) or a Re-turn sticker can be applied.

There is a higher Re-turn fee for bottles/cans that share barcodes across multiple countries due to the higher risk of fraud but this has been waived below a certain yearly quality to avoid impacting craft/niche products.

You just going to ignore the part about the nappies full of ****.

No i did'nt, as i had already mentioned that in the reply you had previously responded to (i said it before you even said it.)

Either way the link you posted did'nt answer any of what i had asked. Why can't they just clean/wash decontaminate the recycleables and then send them off to be recycled? a whole bin truck of recyclables being deemed "contaminated" because of a soiled nappy, and sent off to the landfill is quite the waste don't you think?

You would be the first to complain if it came out the cardboxes were produced from a recycled material that had human waste mixed in with it.

Its just one nappy though. There is no way of knowing where the human waster went.

Sure they could take a chance and wash it but then mixed up in a vat with water but the water is contaminated as well as the batch of cardboard.

Anyway I'm done posting here as you are just ignoring ****. Enjoying crying into your taxed plastic bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FocusST

Another stealth tax. Just going to buy a water carbonator and buy my juices in cartons going forward. Sick to death of the government studiously trying to make life more expensive, inconvenient, and generally miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

i met the Business Development guy for Barrs (iron bru) owner recently, i didnt get the impression they were pulling back. The last few days has seen Tesco and others allow shelves become destocked to encourage sales of other older stock. Its already starting to get back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,089 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

For the people that ditch drink, drink in parks, etc, I can see them possibly buying bottles of beer in future, instead of cans as they'll be exempt from the tax. And these conscientious people are more worried about money in their pocket than the environment. They're not going to start cleaning up after themselves now.

It's a blight at times seeing all the empty cans and bottles lying around the day after. But now we might see more glass bottles lying around instead, and glass poses far more of a threat to people and nature if they're smashed. Not to mention much harder and dangerous to clean up.

And I can foresee some people if they do buy cans spoiling them for any would be entrepreneurial person who thinks they can clean up and make some money at the same time. It's so easy to scrunch a can beyond the point of being fit for a RVM machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,602 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moving people away from buying single use bottles is an entirely expected positive outcome of this.

Small PET bottled water should never have become a commodity product. A reduction it its sales is positive for absolutely everyone involved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

I agree though we should have more public water fountains where people can use their own bottles. We do have a tendency to add charges without doing much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Yoshitsune

The Deposit Return Scheme is a great way of Ireland recycling singles use plastics which sounds great on paper but dose not make sense if you look into it. The recycling machines only accept the ReTurn logo, which many of the criticisms stem from, and the voucher that is dispensed is paper. Would makes sense if the voucher was delivered digitally rather then using up paper. Another criticism I have of the scheme are that some vendors are exempted from the scheme so they free to sell single use plastics without the logo. The ReTurn scheme is relatively new to Ireland and it will take time to get used to but some of points I mentioned makes little to no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

The way things are going we won't have enough water to operate such luxuries in the Dublin, Meath, Kildale, Wicklow area. Easier to import bottled water than invest in our own water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

I'm interested to know how you expect this to happen.

Small PET bottles I can see maybe going. Some reduction in bottled water, for tap or 'eco-Tetra' packing, maybe.

After these limited uses, I don't see how this scheme will reduce single use containers. (I believe it perpetuates it as now we are all so invested it is here to stay for a decade or two.)

Also, some reductions could disappear if we see shrinkflation tactics - 440ml beer cans (with deposit) to retain the price point of 500ml cans pre deposit; the possibility of 125ml or 145ml 10 pack kids water to avoid DRS, etc.

Just my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mrperty2011

Theres something not right about this Deposit return scheme. Went to coffee shop today for sit down lunch. Bought couple cans of soft drinks coffees etc and only saw extra charge on receipt when leaving. So you have to take your rubbish home with you when eating out now in order to get extra charge back or try and queue back in packed premises to get money back. Now I’m all for recycling but the whole idea eating out is to enjoy not having to worry bout this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

If you're eating in, I don't see why the cans should have a levy. The cafe should take care of recycling that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mrperty2011

First time I have seen in operation. Is the coffee shop pulling fast one. We had sit down with food etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The paper voucher is accessible to all without the need to have an account.

We are in a 4 month transition up to June 1.

During this period containers without log/barcode can continue to be sold alongside stock that is part of Re-turn.

Deposits can only be charged on Re-turn stock.

After June 1 all stock must be Re-turn registered and a deposit charged.

There has been some initial confusion among customers and retailers but hopefully this will dissipate over time.

The only times I've ever bought bottled water have been when Irish Water have ever delivered me nothing at all (supply failure) or delivered me uncertain product (Leixlip boil water notice). When those happened, I bought 5L bottles. They're dirt cheap even at that size.

Small water bottles are not something most people should ever need to buy; and the people who buy large volumes of those small bottles are precisely those who should be stopped from doing it - it never makes sense.

We saw on this thread complaints of "I buy five bottles a week each for my three children so I'll have to pay for fifteen deposits" - yeah, good. Stop buying them new bottles every day, thanks.

440ml is the norm for craft beer cans in Ireland already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Well this is a thread about the deposit return scheme not about leaving the EU so I don't dwell on it too much but if you take a close look at how brexit affected the UK and think we would be better off doing the same you're either deluded or trying your hand at comedy... Good luck if it's the latter

The scheme should be as simple as you describe, there should be no confusion

Sadly on day 1 there were products without the re-turn logo that are accepted at RVMs and products with logos that aren't accepted. Presumably at a manual re-turn point the opposite is true. Not exactly how it was sold to us in the run-up

Map still isn't up to date

On the morning of the launch we had Eamon Ryan on the radio talking about a "Version 2" of the scheme where barcodes on cans could potentially be on the base so they can be crushed. Talking about V2 on the V1 launch day 😞

It's a half-arsed launch in my mind and could have been done much better without much effort

Repak now ask that you don't rinse out shampoo/detergent bottles - just close the lid once its clean outside. The eventual recycler has to wash them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Can't disagree with you re. launch issues.

Could have been handled better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement