Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oh it happened but you leave out Bibi's motive for allowing it to happen. You are quite correct that Hamas has no interest in a democratic Palestinian state, that's something Sinwar and Bibi see eye to eye on. Also you mention Russia and Iran being delighted, they certainly are and Israel due to their reckless disregard for civilians has certainly obliged them. At least you have finally admitted there are scumbags on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No worries. My post wasn't accusing you of saying it. I meant the general "you" and I had edited it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

About the only good thing that might come out of this war is that Israel's ambivalence towards Russia will be terminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Killing with kindness was a quote from a previous poster. I don't know what relevance the rest of your post has, since I already explained what exactly the expression was referring to.

• Advertisement

LOL

There's nothing of what I've said above that I haven't already said, albeit not in a single post.

So what though? I'm no fan of Netanyahu.

No rant, just a considered response to this nonsense: "Perhaps though you are not aware of such matters."

If my response took more than a quick sound bite, that doesn't make it a rant for all that. Just not a soundbite, of which there are too many IMO.

You were making out that you had some understanding of Northern Ireland when you clearly have no personal experience of living there, never mind of living there during the troubles, as I did. You suppose that anyone who disagrees with you is just "not aware", rather than having a different opinion to you.

Some of us, however, come from Northern Ireland - and just don't accept your poor attempt to "read" the Israel-Palestine conflict as a version of your misunderstandings about the NI conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

That would be nice on both counts but I wouldn't bank on either. Bibi is the easier one to dislodge.

• Advertisement

Maybe I am being a bit cynical, but I think Joe has one eye on the November election with these recent comments.

Have another go. The point was about the environments and conditions in which certain movements and groupings can be created and prosper. It was nothing to do with your attempted deflection on what those groups actually achieve or not.

Again, at this point in the game it is difficult to tell whether you actually cannot understand simple points... rather than just pretending that you can't.

While the North has undoubtedly improved, and younger people don't have the same ingrained prejudices and bigotry, some of the older folks retain theirs. One noted example is the Loyalist fierce support for Israel which is not born out of genuine support, but merely a reaction to their hatred of Catholics and the fact that Nationalists would be strongly sympathetic to the plight of Palestinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Donald, the North is about as far from the middle east as you can get in situation like this. We have peace now Thank God, and the Catholic / Protestant divide are living with each other in the North. In the middle east, that's not possible because one side is Islamic and the other Jewish. No discussion about it, but what's happening in Palestine is terrible, and has to stop, end of story, but to my way of thinking, and I've lived in that part of the world, its all happening against the wider backdrop of Christians, Jews and non-Muslims being removed from the middle east generally. Even if there was peace there in the morning, you will still have this hatred of non-Muslims. Because it's something that Islam teaches, from childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NoMoreDonegalTuesdays

I'd wager it won't. Russia is the only country Israel fears and tiptoes around. Russia fears Israel too. They seem to have a sort of madman theory doctrine towards each other, and both are mad. It's not something I've studied in depth but it seems to me there is probably significant overlap between Russia and Israel in terms of criminality - both at the top and at lower levels. As well as there being a huge Russian diaspora in Israel.

The point JM, was about the conditions in which these groups can prosper. Those conditions are universal and not restricted to any geographical or religious parameter.

I would say good luck to you if your mission was to go into an average secondary school in Dublin today and get 50 16-year olds to get off their iphones and tiktok and pledge themselves to becoming soldiers for the upcoming fight to the death against the British (which you tell them is coming)

Would it be easier for a Hamas recruiter to get a 16 year old in Gaza or Palestine as a whole? One would have to undoubtedly say yes.

That recruiter can point across the barbed wire fence at the place where the kid's grandfather was born, the stolen land where his ancestors had farmed for generations, and where some yank has built their nice new fancy house while he lives in a cramped hovel. The yank exercised a "right to return" to land that was never his. The kid has no such "right of return".

The kid who watched their brothers and sisters being killed and maimed. Their mother being shot in the head by a sniper. Being harassed and humiliated on the street daily by Israeli soldiers if they are lucky enough to live in the West Bank. The kid who has no future except to wait for the day when Israel kills him one way or the other. Directly or indirectly. Do you not agree that it would be easier to convince that kid to join your mission than the 16 year old in Dublin?

Or people might agree with those that think the reason the Palestinian kid is more likely to join those groups is because of some inherent inhumanity or sub-humanness. And despite what those people will try to deny, there is a large element of truth to me saying that. Because they think that deep down.

As regards teaching of hatred, there are plenty of videos proudly showing classrooms of Israeli kids boasting that when they grow up they will kill arabs.

https://www.facebook.com/DAILYSABAH/videos/israeli-students-say-they-want-to-kill-arabs-as-teacher-promotes-hatred/1019595848197507/

Those kids grow up, they give them machine guns and sniper rifles and let them know there will be no consequences for anything they do on a Palestinian. What else is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I'm not surprised at all.

But it does seem like a lot of Irish people have realised there's no difference between the two parties in the US when it comes to foreign matters.

You only have to look at the current impasse over the Ukrainian aid package to realise there is a great deal of difference between the two parties.

But you agree you have no personal experience of Northern Ireland, and in fact come from a country where Sinn Fein representatives were silenced on government media? Long before the British did: Thatcher copied that idea straight from RTE, and said so openly.

So maybe don't bother lecturing those of us who do have personal experience of Northern Ireland about it?

Because you clearly don't have a clue really.

(For example - and it's just one way in which the two situations are very different, well, two really) the IRA never called itself "Catholic Resistance" and never wanted to destroy the whole of the United Kingdom in order to install a Catholic Regime over the whole of the British Isles.)

Do you think does your own background influences your apparently blind, unquestioning and unconditional support of Israel? Was it ingrained in you from a young age by any chance? Did you or your neighbours fly Israeli flags outside your houses or on your estate?

Absolutely not. As you said yourself, the support of Israel was traditionally a loyalist position. I'm from a nationalist background.

And my support is neither blind nor unquestioning. That's you.

That's why I don't expect you to be able to see how someone from my background can possibly have come to a reasoned support for the state of Israel: because your position is a kneejerk one, so you think that's what everyone else has done too.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough. It just seems very strange to me that you would be on the side of the occupier force harassing one section of a population while only being interested in "protecting" the other side.

I could tell you lots of stories about what it's really like to grow up with the IRA and their henchmen in power. But you would just call it a rant.

I know what it's like to have paramilitaries in a position of power. And Israel, for all its faults, is a democracy. Hamas is not, and doesn't want a democracy.

What Hamas wants - and they say so openly - is an islamic state. And they're happy to commit murder, including of other Palestinians, to get that. They've done it before and they'll do it again. That's worse than what the IRA ever claimed to want.

So this notion that the two situations are parallels is a dangerous one: they do have parallels, but not ones that should make people support Hamas as a sort of "our team vs your team " thing. But that's what a number of people in Ireland are doing.

I understand why it happens in NI - because the political split there means it is a "team" for many. 'Unionists fly the Israeli flag, so we'll fly the Palestinian one' and vice versa. But it's so dumb of people in the south to unthinkingly do the same thing, when they so unthinkingly did the exact opposite for years. Sheep mentality. Can't you ever think for yourselves?

Well if you'd have been calling for, and happy with, the British similarly periodically "mowing the lawn" in Nationalist areas, then at least you'd be consistent.

The way the Israeli's think of, and portray, the savage Palestinians is the same as how the British though of the Irish for a long time.

I won't ask you your thoughts on Bloody Sunday in Derry. If you are consistent with your position vis-a-vis the IDF and Palestinian civilians, we'd know your answer anyway.

I've never said anything of that sort, so maybe stop attributing stuff to me that I haven't said?

As for Bloody Sunday - when you can show me where the IRA, or nationalist civilians, went into the Waterside and murdered protestant women and children, thus provoking Bloody Sunday as a response, then your comparison will be relevant.

See, that's the sort of comment that shows me that you don't understand anything about Northern Ireland, but are just believing the current fashionable version which is that Sinn Fein were up at the front fighting for civil rights in 1969. They weren't. Sinn Fein didn't exist back then, and the IRA weren't around to defend anyone when the police were actually attacking nationalist civilians.

That's all a myth they've built up since then. Look up "IRA - I Ran Away" to see how much use the IRA ever were to us.

Oh this, BTW: you are joking when you try to imply that if Israel did not exist, that Palestine would be a stable democracy? Aren't you?

One of approximately zero in that part of the world - right?

Well, except for Israel, which actually is a democracy.

If Israel did not exist, statistically the likelihood is that Palestine would be an authoritarian hellhole. Quite possibly with a latent or open civil war between Muslim and/or tribal factions. That's what the other similar countries around it are like, after all.

Now now. Show me where the Palestinian toddlers went in and attacked Israeli's. The paras said they were shot at first. There were IRA in the area and therefore the people shot were collateral damage. The same as it is ok to blow up 80 people in a strike on a market in Jabalia because the IDF say there was a militant in the vicinity.

How about the images of the woman holding the white flag and her child who is shot by the sniper? Did we see similar images from Derry on Bloody Sunday? If one is ok, then surely so must the other be? Or do I detect some inconsistency?

Before:

After (You can check the video to see the blood soaked white flag on his chest):

Is it that different to this?

As the rise of the Troubles was not linked to environmental conditions, there must have been some other reason. It is purely coincidental that the problem really kicked off around the same times as civil rights protest. Perhaps it was something genetic in the people that led them to joining and supporting the paramilitaries.

Grand. It's ok to annihilate them so. It's not a genocide to kill them all once we know that they probably wouldn't have had a democracy even if their oppression didn't make it de facto impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Who is here in this thread explicitly calling to kill them all?

Argue with the points made, not a strawman.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

lol.

“Those people don’t have a democracy and therefore they do not deserve to live”

literally the only person saying that on boards is you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

The point actually began with you blaming Israel for preventing Palestinians voting. When it was pointed out that you were wrong you deflected to pretending I didn’t understand the situation in the North rather than having the good grace to admit you were wrong.

Again, lots to criticise Israel for but Hamas not holding elections isn’t one of them.

Advertisement