Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

In the latest offering he mentions a book shop owner - 'Louisa remains a loyal, dedicated bookshop owner who can eke out every obscure book or sought-after bestseller for her army of loyal customers.'

Eke out usually refers to making meagre resources go further eg the elderly man eked out his pension by doing xyz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I usually don't read these articles but that was some drivel, he can't wait to browse bookshops and have a bag of chips next time he's home. Like others have said, you'd swear he's in the remotest part of Siberia the way he's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

He will disappear for good if he ever discovers Amazon. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

We have chips in London too. Sometimes even fish and chips. Please can one of this internet summarisers pass this on in their next clippings file

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I've read some shyte in my time, but that's vying for a spot in the top five. I'll eke out a spot. FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Need to get someone with a cockney or London accent to phone up and ask RT if he's ever had jellied eel and he should really try it...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Based on his comments from that Times Radio promo interview, it is like he has a few pre-packaged comments about various things (the NI situation, the First Minister etc) and reuses them in his column. They probably have also been used in his show at various times.

The writing is like that of a teenager with aspirations to be a great writer. The emphasis has changed from the "London Diary" back to his RTE radio style. Without the LLS and the constant stream of selfies with celebrities, there's nothing much happening for him in London. There seems to be no major show business events being mentioned and he's no longer bumping into celebrities. There are no UK TV appearances. It is a different world and he does seem to be missing Ireland. You'd almost feel sorry for him.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Tubridy's MoS column is definitely racking up points on the cringe scale for me. He does comes across as a 15 year old that has never ventured outside of Ireland. His opinions on the royal family and things like northern politics. I question his qualifications on these and think he could create even more derision.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Come on, lads. It’s the Mail on Sunday, he’s writing for his “audience”. If he was writing for The Irish Times, in a more highbrow manner, you’d all be lambasting him for being a faux intellectual.

Would probably be getting accused of using a ghostwriter there, too. Anything the guy does gets torn down, and mocked, even when, in reality, it’s a big “win” for Ryan.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

• I’m proud to be blocked from InstaTubridy. I never made a rude comment but I did make one very benign factual remark in comments. Anything not gushingly positive gets the block treatment, where a less narcissistic person would let it pass by once not rude or suggesting wrongdoing that never happened.

• I didn’t realise children read the Mail on Sunday 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

They must be using Tubridy's fame as the "Toyman" to branch into a new market. Perhaps he can write about unboxing the latest Harry Potter novel while quaffing a latte as Paul McCartney walks by and nods. If the Irish Mail on Sunday thinks it is reaching his audience who are we to dispute that? Thousands of budgies appreciate it

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Have they no subeditors in the Mail on Sunday?

Louisa remains a loyal, dedicated bookshop owner who can eke out every find even the most obscure book or sought-after bestseller for her army of loyal customers.

Fixed that for them.

And this: 'judiciously-placed' - no need for the hyphen.

Tubridy is throwing exclamation marks around like a young Princess Diana. And would he ever get a KeepCup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

It really is appalling drivel. He thinks this "Nerd Herd" schtick has some traction and he's going to flog that particular horse until he finds another lifebuoy to cling onto

He's not even a Chapters version of Oprah with her book club. A publisher sponsored "book club" programme might be what he wants (with a sort of Tubridy/Booker Prize for the books he likes most). Think that RTE used to have something like that with John Kelly about fifteen years ago. It used to have authors and critics on it and the arguments were, at times, entertaining.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What is the 'nerd herd' thing? I've seen it referenced here a couple of times, I assume it's some variation on "The Toyman" that he's trying to brand himself with over there? I could only manage to listen to the show for about 5 minutes on two of the first days and he wasn't going on about it then.

• I can’t recall, but 1) I rarely commented on InstaTubridy and 2) when I did post a comment once or twice I was quite guarded.

• Advertisement

• Apparently it’s a recent shtick, the adult version of the Toyman, referring to his notion that he particularly appeals to nerdy people.

Intellectual? I don’t think so. Obsessive… well I’d say “repetitive” would better describe him. Introverted?… in a way in spite of his talkativeness. Socially awkward… very lacking in the social graces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

From the great Bob Mortimer. He obviously never met God with or without his hoodie.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Had books been THAT popular outside of their normal place on BBC R4 or off peak RTE Radio 1 then they would be of mass appeal. We live in a world where audiobooks, podcasts and e-books are a 'thing' and a lot more "reading" is being done online or via Kindles and other devices. Tubridy is showing how out of step he is with the modern world and maybe something that worked for him as a novelty or "feature" in amateur hour RTE may not float in the commercial world. He does sound desperate for attention and has no real grá for books or literature than the dogs in the street. What he is trying to tap into is a "niche" market of those who YES do like to pick up a paperback. It is by its nature niche and not mainstream in popularity especially not with white- van drivers and listeners to Virgin Radio and even less so to the MoS reader who quite likely in reality would not have the time for books. Nice try but if he had a column in The Sunday Times Culture section then I think we could all sign off and say "Well done Tubs", but look it is what it is.

His Sunday show is not fitting the format of Q102, LMFM, Live 95FM nor Cork's 96FM. It is very likely that there will be a ratings slide over the next 3 JNLR's. The show does not allow for interaction or connection and they could actually delete his voicetracks next Sunday and it would not make very much difference other than maybe getting more listeners.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Have they no subeditors in the Mail on Sunday?

Indeed, but just to add, if he was as well-read as he tries to pretend he is, he would be able to use 'eke out' correctly, and know that it was not applicable in this instance.

His vocabulary, in general, seems very limited.

As I said upthread, nothing wrong, imo, with use of simple English and short sentences. But that drivel is, well, drivel. 😁

It is a lot more difficult to write in simple English and with short sentences. Tubridy doesn't seem to be able to do it. It is a skill that can be learned. The deeper problem is that Tubridy frequently has nothing to say and tries to fill the space with the same kind of name dropping and banter that he uses on his radio show.

It is probably very difficult for a fifty year old like Tubridy to write an interesting weekly column without having any previous experience as a newspaper columnist. It is quite different to writing a book or two (as Tubridy did) because there are tighter deadlines and a discipline to the process. There is also a need to keep readers interested.

Regards...jmcc

The deeper problem is that Tubridy frequently has nothing to say and tries to fill the space with the same kind of name dropping and banter that he uses on his radio show.

In a word, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

You couldn't call this dross a column. People mock the likes of Boris Johnson and Jeremy Clarkson for getting paid a hospital consultants salary for their weekly brain farts in various papers but it's a skill to write a topical, interesting, funny and unmissable newspaper column every week.

It helps of course if you're a curious, interested and interesting person yourself but there's a structure to a good column, a theme maybe, a message you want to impart etc. It's not just a case of vomiting up a "Where I went on my holidays" school level essay.

Since he's such an expert at secret payments, you'd think he'd hire someone with some writing ability to ghost his column for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭moonage

Maybe when Louisa sees Tubs coming in the door she screams, "Eek! Out!".

It can be dangerous to use stereotypes about readers. Most people don't have the time to laze about like Tubridy. They will often read books in the privacy of their own homes rather than posing in cafes trying to appear intellectual. There are so many genres that it is impossible for any show to cover them all. Even the book review sections of newspapers like the Sunday Times or Irish Times are highly formatted and almost a closed shop to people like Tubridy. This is because reviews are part of marketing a book and who reviews it can result in more sales. Some newspapers have their own reviewers or get established writers to review books. A good review from a well known writer can sell more copies. Tubridy seems to be aiming at a kind radio based book club of thing for his "nerd herd" stuff. The problem for Tubridy is that he has no brand recognition in the UK and the format of his show works against it. Amazon's review system really cut the legs from under Tubridy's strictly analogue approach. It is more effective and based on purchases and reviews. Perhaps he's hoping for a book review programme on LyricFM once he finishes his London exile?

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Pat Kenny standing up for his old colleagues, neither of which are in the same league as broadcasters that he is

Advertisement