Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

Had a test drive in cork today and asked the sales person some questions that were posed here.

1. Indicator stalk not guaranteed to be on the left for future deliveries. Seems to be a case of hit and miss If it's a prerequisite for someone.

2. Byd feel their presence has caused other manufacturers drop their prices based on what they offer at the respective price points,.so they don't expect to drop their prices in an ev war.

On the drive itself (design) saw all the colours except white inf flesh. Black and ice blue look good, the grey is fine and the green is meh.

Nice to drive albeit feels a bit tight, possibly the seat position wasn't great. Lots of physical buttons on the steering wheel and center console. One I had was showing an average of 24kwh over the previous 50km. Regen not very aggressive, seems to be to help folks transition form ice cars more easily.

Tested M3 awd shortly after so lots of food for thought, that was averaging 17kwh over 950kms.

Both are beautiful cars

Decisions decisions 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Buttros

I collected mine yesterday. RWD. Indicator stalks on the left. Wasn't something I was concerned with either way. I was surprised with it.

Very happy with it. Enjoying driving. Regen is weaker than previous car but already getting used to that.

Getting used to the various assists quickly, turning on and off things as I please. Have done well over 100km and reckon range looking at about 500 with mixed driving without been economical. Having some fun in my first days of course. Will be doing a round trip of 400km, 95% motorway on Thursday. More optimistic it will cover it without needing to drop my normal speed (speed limit ISH) now than I was a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

That's my car! Picking it up tomorrow as I was out of the country until today. It's an AWD Excellence so thanks for specifying you didn't drive it 😂

2 Things I noticed

1) My car has indicators on the right. I actually prefer this as it leaves my left hand free for eating/drinking something as I go through junctions and roundabouts. You should never do this of course 😉

2) My car and it looks like all AWD cars come with Continental EcoContact 6 tyres, instead of SportContact 7 which is what's advertised. Not too pushed about it myself as the Eco tyres will probably be grand for grip and slightly better efficiency, but a bit of an oversight to be making. Any other AWD owner to confirm this? The other AWD's in the lot were EcoContact too from what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mine are ECs where was the other ones advertised ? What's the difference? Have over 1200k on it now and they're a good tyre lots of grip and sure footed.

I've been buying pilot sports on previous cars .

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

There were 6 seals at the msl site and I'd say another 6 or so parked up where they are building the new forecourt. I'd say those were for pick up also.

Best of luck with it, keeps us updated on all things that can happen in 3.8 seconds 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

SportContact 7 clear as day in the brochure! Worth mentioning I wonder?

Probably , never noticed that

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Corklike1

If anyone is wondering about range on the AWD, I drove 270km the other morning from meath to cork and used pretty much my whole battery, about 90%. On motorway at 130kph with cruise control on and ac set to 22 degrees.

The dynamic "range left" display was never accurate and constantly overestimated my range throughout the journey. Wouldn't have made it past 300km total range.

Another 40k on 10 percent. So around 310 at 130kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Impacted by wind maybe?

My efficiency was much worse doing Dublin-Cork against the wind than it was a few days earlier doing Cork-Dublin.

Range going north was approx 440km.

Range going south was approx 380km.

(RWD).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

Saw my first Seal in the wild today. It was pretty dirty, which is expected with this weather, but a beautiful car all the same

What colour ! Some are easier to clean than others 🫠

Black. Was parked up at SuperValu Leixlip around 1pm today

Wasn't covered in muck or anything, in case the owner is here 😂 just the usual muck on the bottom half. Common enough, especially travelling the back roads here

Black owner, you've been called out. No excuses on a Sunday 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

Price for 4 tyres from oponeo.ie, fitting excluded.

Michelin Pilot Sport EV 235/45 R19 99 W XL B B B 71 dB €688

Continental EcoContact 6 235/45 R19 99 V XL, VOL A A B 72 dB €888

Continental SportContact 7 235/45 R19 95 Y FR, ContiSilent C A B 71 dB €1,060

If the car is supposed to have SC7s, that is a near €200 cheaper set actually on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mur_7

Hi all,

This is my first car purchase in Ireland. I got the BYD SEAL.

I believe on the windcreen I need to display, registration disc, motor tax disc and Insurance disc. How do I obtain all 3 before taking delivery ? How much time does it take to get them physically to your place? Does it come via post or you need to go collect it?

Does our dealer provide disc holder which we put on the windscreen?

Do I need to have anything else before taking delivery?

Thanks,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

1. Insurance Disc. It will be posted to you by your insurer once you insure the car.
    2. Motor Tax. It will be posted out to you once you tax the car.

That’s it. No such thing as a registration disc here. If this is your first car in Ireland, have you got a quote for insurance yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Does our dealer provide disc holder which we put on the windscreen?

Yes. They'd never miss a chance to advertise their dealership by not sticking as many stickers on your car as they can. It'll be on the car before you get it unless you tell them otherwise.

There's no registration disk. The only two things you need to display are tax and insurance. If you mean registration plates then the dealer will supply them too.

The dealer should provide you with enough information to tax and insure the car before collecting it.

In the past I've had my insurance or tax disk arrive a day or two late but I usually drive around with the receipts in my car to prove I have them. Bear in mind that's not legal advice and the actual offence is not displaying the discs.

Oh and congratulations on your new car! I'm still waiting on mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭corkandproud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Done a good bit of driving in the Seal now. Here's my list of observations so far

- In general lane keep and TSR(Speeding alerts basically) don't actually bother me so I leave them on. Also TSR can be quickly turned off via the pull down menu shortcut if it picks up wrong speed for the area you're in(only happened me once so far due to speed sign obscured by a branch). One thing is though I have got warning bongs occasionally but then it's not clear why, maybe some icon does flash up on the dash for a second but by the time I look down it's gone. It's definitely not speeding because it's quite clear when that's what the warning is for.

- On the subject of TSR the junction ahead sign seems to pop up a lot, I think it's a little buggy and misinterpreting Irish road signs because I've seen it pop up a few times when there definitely isn't a junction ahead. Not a big deal, just something of note.

- BSD(Blind Spot Detection) button on the center console is a bit of a waste of space imo, how often do you want to turn that on or off. Something like rear window defogger would be much more useful imo.

- Only 2 options for the dashboard display, classic isn't great because current speed limit sign is in the top right and it's partially blocked by the steering wheel if you're tall like me. Simple is better because the various icons are grouped more centrally but they seem to be randomly spread around with no intuitive sense to the layout. I'm getting used to it now though. Hopefully they bring some more dashboard styles in future updates.

- Can't control the volume of parking sounds, in my Peugeot you can set the reversing beeps volume quite low so whatever you're listening to isn't completely drowned out. Annoying if you're listening to an audiobook/podcast and you then need to go back 30 seconds to listen again.

- Android Auto volume is known to be much lower than a cars audio like radio. Because of this I have to turn the volume up on podcasts I'm listening to through AA but if I forget to turn the volume down again before I turn the car off I get very high volume radio when turning the car back on. Some cars will have separate volume settings for external sources like AA or Apple Carplay but BYD doesn't unfortunately.

- Android Auto can't be set to not open automatically, this option has to be set through the car options but it's not available for BYD from what I can tell. I'd rather normal infotainment come on and if I want to open AA I can select it from the home screen, much handier for short drives where I probably just want to set AC/listen to the radio.

- UI for the radio could be better, can't rearrange favourites and using the steering wheel to go forward and back from station to station seems to only bring you to the next station on 'the dial', would be better if you was next station in your favourites list.

- ICC(Intelligent cruise control). It keeps you in lane but doesn't do a great job, even on gentle bends I feel very nervous as it strays too close to the other lane. Probably only useful on a proper motorway but even then I'd still be a bit nervous. ACC(Adaptive cruise control) which is where you steer yourself and it keeps whatever distance you select(1-5) between you and the car in front is much better but I feel it breaks a little too late. 

- EPB(Emergency Parking Break) has been incorrectly triggered once already when I was coming out of a shopping center. The road I was pulling out into was not in great condition so I think with the nose tilted down it picked up the road as an obstacle. I know it can be turned off but EPB has saved me a few times in the past on other cars I had it on.

- I found breaking to be a little unresponsive/slow then I figured out it was because 'Break Assist Mode' was set to Sport. Set it to Comfort and it was more responsive, for me anyway. It's strange I would have thought 'Pport' would be the more responsive breaking?

- Eircodes don't seem to be recognised by in-built navigation which is a huge oversight. I'd be happy to give it a chance if it did but that's a deal breaker.

- Already discussed a lot but I really hope they bring some more clever/user friendly way to change the preset seating positions. I'm taller than my wife so I have to squeeze into her seating position/move it back using the seat button, start the car, navigate through the menus, select my saved seating position. 

Don't get me wrong overall I'm very happy with decision to get this car, the positives which I've not bothered to list far outweigh any of these little niggles. In fact most of these problems I've had(and worse) on other cars anyway.

I only post these issues in case someone has some suggestions like the AA stuff in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mur_7

Thanks,

No insurance yet. Submitted the refusal letters to insurance Ireland.

What about NCT since this is a new car. Will the dealer have the NCT certificate ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

NCT not required until the car is 4 years old. Interesting to note that the disc holder that came on my car only has two slots so will need to get a 3 slot holder in 4 years time

Having 1 slot visibility and empty would do my head in. Yak. Better off buying one when it comes.

Good feedback above. Haven't used ICC has I wasn't even sure it was on it. Have used ACC and it's very good.

The seats thing is a pain. They need to provide memory settings I feel for this. Perhaps in the app be easiest way to implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GPoint

These disc holders don’t last long esp ones that dealers stick onto your windscreen. You will likely replace it before you need extra pocket for NCT in 4 years time .

Seen a seal on the road this weekend , reversing near me at the car park. That boot open button seems to be in the wrong place. Car was all dirty and the button shiny clean from fingers pressing on it.

Weirdest nit pick. And the obvious position for a boot open button. 😃 it's visible clear and not some hidden place you have to be shown.

Someone not cleaning their car is a separate thing

Nothing weird here, you will always get your finger dirty opening your boot , the button under the plate light gets a little less dirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Hi Lads,

What is the general feeling about the Seal at this stage now that a few of you have been driving for the last few weeks ? How does it compare to the Germans in terms of drivability, comfort, and overall quality ? Is there anything that you would change or dislike about it ?

I currently have an i4 M40 that I bought with a Trade-in (330e) and Cash from Joe Duffy, Jan 23. While I do like the car, I don't love it. I have a home charger and do small usually city miles, so range is not a factor, more the owner experience if you get me.

Advertisement