Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Hadn't heard about the Polish farmers going out until now. They are rightly getting screwed by Ukraine grains. But the whole EU should be up in arms about that situation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭prunudo

We both know that's not how the world works. The media and ER have a responsibility to report it properly. If there is a segment on the news or current affairs programme you expect a certain level of factual discussion and wording. I shouldn't have to fact check every report or plan being discussed.

What transpires about the measures announced for the city centre don't amount to the banning of through traffic for private and commercial vehicles as was touted in the media this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Seriously that's the basis on which you are calling him a hypocrite?

Even if we did drastically reduce air travel the travel by ministers on official business would be the last in line for cuts.

As an island nation it's almost impossible to do business on behalf of the country without air travel.

What makes you say that Eamon Ryan's flights are more important than anyone else's? Me and my colleagues' business travel has supported billions of dollars in trade. Eamo could at least sit down the back of the plane where his carbon footprint would be three to nine times lower. That way he gets to go where he wants while being somewhat less of a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

Green MEP Ciaran Cuffe was talking about air travel lately. He said people should think twice about a shopping trip to New York or a stag in Prague. Are weekends in NY in fashion?

While i get his point, its a hard sell as a few days away somewhere sunny is the highlight of many peoples year. Inflation, rent/mortgage increases, bad weather, work stress etc wear people done and they need a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

ER's flights and those of other ministers are more important for Ireland than many other flights.

Similarly your business flights and those of your colleagues are important for the country.

As for the use of business class, as long as the ministers stick to whatever policies or guidelines are in place there is no issue.

Just for clarity I have posted previously on this thread and others regarding how essential air connectivity is to Ireland.

In my opinion we shouldn't make any unilateral moves to restrict air travel and ought to wait until the issue is dealt with on an EU or global level.

As an island nation with a large diaspora and dependence on trade and FDI we can't afford to make the running on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

And why should anyone waste their precious time reading the uninformed warbling of Victor Davis Hanson, a Trump fanatic and right wing loon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

While I may not always agree with Your views ( I’m very anti green ), I admire Your last 2 paragraphs here.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Why would you deliberately be anti-green? That makes no sense whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The climate doesn't list flights in terms of Importance, so the likes of E.Ryan and C.Cuffe who's carbon footprints are many multiples of the normal Irish citizen could easily conduct meetings via Video conferencing etc.

The annual government junket around the world by the government on St. Patrick's week produces enough of a carbon footprint to fuel 2 family cars emissions for 12 months... And before the usuals come on here and say "oh it's soo important to Ireland etc." I don't think sending Roddy O'Gorman to Japan is going to bring in €Billions in investments somehow..

The climate effect of say a return flight to New York is the same if you are going for a few days shopping or going to represent Ireland at a series of meetings and engagements.

We can disagree about whether the minister representing Ireland could do the same job by appearing on a screen in NY but for many years now a personal appearance is considered Important.

All governments have continued the tradition and it's so embedded in our political system that even some of the opposition travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

And If the flight goes with an empty seat because Eamon didn't fly, the impact on emissions is zero vs if he had taken up his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

And if less Eamos flew then less planes would be flying and less emissions. No particular issue with political junkets but getting particularly tired of the hypocrisy of the influential telling the rest to shape up and save the world while they continue on as before

Well, with the harm they are doing to the economy, I’d ask why would anyone be pro green? Supporting them doesn’t make sense either.

I cannot speak for Tenzor, but I somehow doubt anyone argues about the importance of visits to the USA & Canada for March 17, but Brazil ( who I’d say are eyeing up getting beef exports to the detriment of Ireland ) & Japan?

EDIT :This post is in response to Elperello’s post, but for some reason I couldn’t include the link.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

Exactly right, It's a bit like telling us all there's a drought and we should only have 1 cup of water a week meanwhile they're swimming in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

what harm are they doing, don't we have full employment at the moment?

I'm still here 🙂

TBH I'm not bothered enough to go through all the destinations trying to figure out the strategic advantages of having a minister visit them.

Every year there's a couple of weeks of angst here on Boards about the visits and every year the visits go ahead.

They are baked in now and no matter who is in office they will go ahead.

Plus the biggest housing and healthcare(to name only two of them) crisis in the last two decades at least, so yea let the pontificating Greens travel the world on their junkets

The last paragraph brilliantly describes why people increasingly classify the political clases as hypocrites as they preach from the pulpit that traditional practices are causing the world to boil and are no longer tenable but for example their little traditional junkets just happen to be baked in and not subject to scrutny or change. Do as I say little people.......

So, full employment is the answer? What about record number of homeless on the streets, crime, health. And while speaking of health, part of the government seeing over building the most expensive hospital on the planet with no definitive opening date. Way over budget & years behind targeted opening date. And You wonder what harm are they doing?

I rest my case.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Advertisement

"People" who agree with you and think the whole thing is a wheeze dreamt up by politicians to get a free holiday will probably never be convinced that there is any value in the trips.

I'm wondering would well paid hard working ministers not really rather have a few days at home or maybe a little private family trip.

But we'll probably never find out, the business case for the trips has been made and even the opposition tag along.

This time next year like groundhog day we'll probably do it all again.

Maybe the same play with a different cast 🙂

Yea we get that the annual jolly around the world for Paddy's day (which all countries except the U.S couldn't give a fork about) is a yearly tradition, however those who claim to represent the Greens/Environment could take a stand and practice what they preach..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You said they were ruining the economy though not those other things. How are they ruining the economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭prunudo

I've been living in a house with no proper fire for 17 years, and only once in that time has it been an issue because of a long power cut, albeit, less than 24hrs.

I have gas, and as you say, without power it won't fire and the pump or stats won't work so next to useless. But at least if push came to shove, I could light the gas hob and sit in the kitchen, vastly inefficient but at least I'd be warm.

But it is a concern for the future imo, putting all your energy in one basket. But thats what is being forced on us, most new builds are already like this. Heat pumps, underfloor heating etc are all goosed during a prolonged power cut.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

You are obviously in the anti camp when you refer to working trips as a jolly.

There are more countries than the US that we need to maintain relations with.

The greens could refuse to do what they signed up for when they became part of the coalition but I'm not sure it would be a good move.

On your second para, any politicians I've ever had knowledge of would bite your hand off to get on all expenses paid trip out of State. I'm not sure they see it as the sacrifice you are making it out to be. I could be wrong of course. And as you say even the opposition tag along which is a strong indicator that politicians of all hue are perma ready to take one for the team. Don't get too many issues where 100% cross party support is permanently on tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Irelands economy is a runaway success by all international comparison so that's nonsense to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

These things are not economic problems or anything to do with green policies though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Deleted

• Advertisement
Advertisement