Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

nearly there but send me a pic of the bit where you press yellow button after file list and a pic of the screen where you go menu information about.

And when you did a test recording did it go to HDD??

Its raining here and I'm waiting on a delivery, that skin looks an old version

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

Yes the recording I made this am is on media/HDD/movie location. The old recordings are in Toshiba partition 1

You wont be doing any updating but I can see the pics and tell you how to select HDD so that when you use file list all your recordings will appear but with different skins buttons may be different.

Vix 6.3.007 is same as me and that mean you are up to date but there is a new version 6.4 and NB don't be tempted to update whatever you do.. On your recording and playback screen you should be able to cursor down and with right arrow change location to match default movie and press green to save BUT with some skins it wont allow you. Do same for timeshift.

With an SSD you should go menu setup storage settings, hard disk standby make no standby and save.

With a few tweaks you will be good for years.

@Morrisseeee is it the zgemma h7s and are you trying USB?

Thanks swoofer. I'm a bit confused, sorry. You're saying I can set up so that when press filelist button, I can see a)the old recordings ( was I correct that these were saved to the box itself?) and b) the recordings on the HDD, in the same list?

My timer recordings are currently going to the default movie location ( the HDD). I can see all the stuff that I thought wasn't recorded during the week.

In case I forget to say it, thanks so so much for your help today.

• Advertisement

Yes all will become clear just read my bit slowly and when I know the skin version I can do more. What will happen is when you press file list all the recordings will appear, got a little break for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

@swoofer Yes it is the H7S, i'm using the internal SATA connection

Blue-HD is skin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

My location yellow button is handy as all my boxes have access to hdds.

+ on some boxes having a partition on the hdd i have other recordings but not done anything about it.

At least you have found them

If formatted to ext4 box should see it and ready to record

Go into Mount Manager from Menu to see your hdd info should say ext4

• Advertisement

That is a very old skin but will work. Yes when you did that location bit box should remember and when you press file list should go to all recordings.

Its a quirk that can happen and it looks as if recordings have disappeared. I don't have that skin so buttons will be different.

I'd say you are sorted. So if it ain't broke etc.

All your recordings are on the HDD.

Your good to go.

And I have to go out now.

That HDD may be too large for a Zgemma H7S, Andy will know more or greasepalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If you formatted it to ext4 it should be good to go. As I understand it, initialising just formats the drive to ext4. Linux should be well able to cope with 2TB. You may just need to mount it in the drive manager. MENU>SETUP>VIX>MOUNT MANAGER to see if it shows there. Also check MENU>SETUP>STORAGE>FILESYSTEM CHECK to see what it says.

EDIT: you may need to reboot after the file check.

Thanks a million for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Thanks folks, still cant get it to work right. The box wont setup the drive at all. If I manually (via Gparted) set up GPT table & EXT4 partition, the box sees the drive & sets up the MOVIE location. It will record but the playback is unwatchable ! I'll try with a smaller SSD & see what happens :o

Some drives do have issues and not seen . When bought new was it inserted into box when powered off and seen in storage and then tried to format?

If nothing is on it remove to PC and Format to Fat32 so it removes ext4.

Back into box and power on and try a format and see if it runs and iniatialises to ext4

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Morris Code

Since the changes to BBC I have lost the BBC Red Button. On checking here I found that the new frequency was

10788 V 23000 3/4 8Psk....however...I have tried inputting this manually and it finds nothing.

I also have an old SAB box and I recently noted after a Blind Scan that the RB was coming in loud and clear.I checked the frequency and it showed

10788 V 22999....couldn't see the rest .I tried this frequency on the ZGemma but again nothing. This frequency btw does not show up in the list of transponders on the ZGemma...the 22999 looks odd to me.

Hope some of u knowlegable guys might know what's going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

BBC Red Button is on 10788 V 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK Make sure you have selected DVB-S2 Its an easy one to miss

Ignore the 22999 on the other box, thats just a rounding error.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Morris Code

Ah Thanks very much Gerry-got it. My settings were showing DVB-SX and QPSK...must get new glasses

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Cheezypuf

I’ve bought one of these and now realise I’ve bitten off more than I can chew.

How would I go about finding someone (I’ll pay) who can instal and configure this for me? I’ve realised I may need a new dish and possibly some cabling work as part of the project too.

Any advice welcome please.

• Advertisement

You are omitting a vital piece of information = Location😏

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I have just brought a second hand Zgemma H2H, I have a old sky box , I brought the Zgemma to have RTE, BBC all on same setup, now I know this thread is for the H7S but is setting up the same? This forum seems to have better response to problems.

(I do have a aerial and sat connection)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

H2H will also need a swapfile as performance is low on these boxes.

Check out techkings.org who can guide you how to setup box as wealth of info there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭egal

Autotimer Help, Please

Let's say I want to record Sherlock Holmes on ITV4. And let's say they broadcast two programmes each day, one early morning and the other mid morning, the early morning one being a repeat of the previous day's mid morning one. How do I set Autotimer to record the mid morning ones and skip the early morning ones? The starting times of the programmes vary quite a bit.

Also, I've been experimenting and now have several unwanted timer recordings in the list of programmes to be recorded. I've tried pressing the red delete button and the yellow disable button but they keep coming back!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Swapfile is a virtual RAM extension. Like say you have too many apps/pugins open and the box runs out of memory because of it. Then the operating system can move apps currently open but idle onto the swapfile to free up some real RAM.

With these boxes you can create a swapfile when you connect, format and mount a hard drive to the box via setup/system/storage. But it's at best a crutch since hard disks on the h2h go via usb2.0 so a swapfile is going to be slowwww af in any case.

But I wouldn't worry about it. Connecting a hard drive (which you'd need for a swapfile) is optional and only needed for recording. I had a h2h for years and it's perfectly able to do what it says on the tin with no hassle like running openatv and all the skins/plugins necessary and no hassle watching/recording tv. And no swapfile.

Its when you sideload more demanding plugins like iptv or so when the box might run out of steam but that is to be expected.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

Can you say the image you are using as that makes it a bit easier to give help, go menu information about.

For autotimer go to itv4 press ok arrow up press epg arrow across to sherlock holmes press blue untick exact match press green now on next menu scroll down to page 2 and enable only match during timespan, now you can do a few more things if you wish, change length of timespan, but leave for now, press green exit and ok and pause then a pop will appear and once gone you are set.

To delete autotimers go menu timers autotimers selct one you want to delete press yellow and select 1 and red to close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭egal

Image 6.3.002 (Release)

Skin Simple_Ten_Eighty (1920x1080)

Thanks for the info. I'll try that and see how I get on.

Advertisement