Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭TokTik

So if they don’t get it, how can they implement their plan? I asked who was gonna find it, you said the FAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,992 ✭✭✭billyhead

I wonder if the new manager will be announced this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

I just said there is no investment without the government and so have the FAI. There plan is soley based around government funding being the bulk with some funds from Fifa and Uefa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Another start for Idah today, this time starts with Kyogo. Hilarious to hear comments that a move to Celtic would be a backward step for Adam Idah. It’s a great opportunity for him and hopefully he can make the most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,720 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The championship is a higher standard than the Scottish league and has been for a long time.

Hope it works out well for him if course, but nothing hilarious saying it's a backwards step.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Great night for Andy Reid . Trapatonni a little irked .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Same as first game without the penos. Completely anonymous and hooked after an hour thank god.

Unfortunately didn’t see the game. Was asking other Celtic fans that question they said while he didn’t do much himself directly he was a great help to Kyogo who found space and freedom while Idah was occupying the defenders. I saw him v Aberdeen and Hibs. Scored the two penalties v Hibs and against Aberdeen when he came on as a sub he played very well, held the ball up and played some really good link up passes to Kyogo and O’Riley. Early days but he’s making a positive impact. For Ireland he could be a useful player for Ferguson to play off as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Kenny wanting to play football is overstated.

I think he wanted a team that would remain calm on the ball regardless of who they played. At times Ireland teams have been guilty of sitting back and playing long, or kicking it away, to little impact, just giving the ball back to the opponent.

Playing direct too early is no good but playing direct in a more measured way with spaces opened up prior to that longer pass or more direct attack is what teams need to do.

How Luton use Ogbene is a good example, at times Luton will play a few passes to create space for Ogbene by drawing people away from him and creating an area he can attack. Other times on a counter the space may already be there and they go straight away. A key need is players staying calm enough and having the ability to recognise the right time to go quickly or if they need to make a few passes first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

According to Shay Given on RTÉ its not Lee Carlsey!!

I’m happy with that

but then again imagine it was Robbie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Shay Given more or less confirming it's not going to be Carsley this time, but that he may be interested in the future. Gave the impression he'd spoken to him and didn't want to say anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

You can why it would be a very risky career move for Carsley. Currently he would probably get a very good club in the Championship, with a good chance of PL not far away. If he failed with Ireland (very good chance of that), then he might find himself struggling at the bottom end of the championship which can be a difficult ceiling to smash through.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,992 ✭✭✭billyhead

His career is on an upward curve. No point in jeopardising that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

From a potential managers point of view I think it’s a significant risk to take the Ireland job right now. It’s going to be hugely difficult do come out of it with much credit.

We have a tough nations league group where being relegated is a realistic outcome, and we’re not really in with a chance to qualify for the WC from traditional means. So that’s 2 years gone from their career without it having any benefit to their CV.

In 2 years though it’s probably a much more attractive role. A Euro campaign that will have 2 additional spots that Ireland might benefit from possibly with the chance to be more competitive in the nations league C tier, which boosts playoff chances.

So do the FAI settle for someone on a 2 year contract for now and then see what the landscape is after the WC campaign? Might be the best way to go about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There's no reason to think we can't reach the level of Finland and push Greece over this Nations League campaign. We still have a decent team with plenty of PL players and some good - great young prospects. A 2nd or even 3rd place would garner a lot of credit.

I think a manager with a bit of ambition and belief in himself would take on the Ireland job as a good challenge. Get a tune out of these players who must be desperate to get a bit of success or just win some games.

The excuses above for Carsley are merely speculation. Other speculation could be that at the end of the day it might be down to money and he’s currently in a job. The FAI would need to better what he’s currently being paid by the England FA. I wouldn’t blame him or expect him to be taking a pay cut.

If it was me being asked to take the job, I’d have to ask myself what the realistic goals are for myself and the team. And if that turns out to be not getting relegated from the nations league, is that really worth 2 years of my career?

An ambitious manager I don’t think is going to be one that will look at the Ireland job and take it because he believes he can get the most out of them. He’s going to look at the Ireland job and think right now, this will not help me with my career goals, because there’s very little scope for success.

In 2 years that may be different. We might have a much better chance at qualifying for a tournament, which would be a more attractive proposition.

Looking like it’ll be Lennon now then. Heard from a source a week of 2 ago when it first came out that Carsley was a doubt, that Carsley was plan A and Lennon was plan B, and that Plan A wasn’t finished yet.

Looking more and more like it is finished now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Unless it's coming from the mouth of Hill, Canham, or Carsley I wouldn't pay much attention. If he genuinely spoke to Carsley and that's what he was told then why would you go public with it before Carsley's camp does. Puts him in an awkward position with his current employers.

Ambition depends on what options a manager has on the table and where they're coming from though. It'd be a very lowly manager who could be accused of lacking ambition for turning down the Ireland job. That's the reality of where we are.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I agree with this that it's a risky job to take from an up and coming managers perspective. I'm assuming that's why a lot of the names linked are managers on the downward trajectory who have nothing to lose really. Or else managers whos stock might never be higher than now and might never get the chance again (Carsley would loosely fall into this bracket I think).

It’s a senior position. It’s still a step up from an U21 role like what Carsley has no matter where it is. He is entitled to expect to get a better salary though because it is a higher pressure job. We don’t know but that could be a problem for the FAI matching or offering a better salary than what he’s currently on.

Are they offering the same as what Stephen Kenny was on which was about €500k I think? Not sure who they can get if that’s what they’re offering.

Just looked it up there. According to reports the offer for the Ireland job is €560k or 477 sterling. Carsley is reportedly currently on 500 sterling for the U21 England job. I’d say that’s a stumbling block and to be fair I wouldn’t blame him. It’s a senior job with more responsibility, I reckon he’d expect to double his salary. If the FAI can’t offer that, that would explain why there’s no deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Aul Scales up there with the best of them. Some achievement all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Where he would pay tax would also be a consideration given higher levels of income tax in Ireland than UK

Of course money comes into it, but I'd say career progression is far more important for Carsley and he's probably weighing the risks. Most championship managers make more than what the FAI are offering. But they also offer the chance to become a PL manager and really enter the big time. He would have to do an amazing job with Ireland to be offered PL jobs afterwards. It's just not a good job for most managers on the way up in their career. International success just doesn't get much recognition in club football, and in England, being their U21 manager is probably considered better than being our first team manager.

I don’t agree with that. If it’s the case that they consider being an U21 manager better than a senior position that’s just stupid. There’s no comparison. Any half decent U21 will be drafted into a senior team. It’s a development squad. And if he happens to thinks like that himself then move on, he’s no loss.

Bradley becoming a front runner .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Stephen Bradley?

• Advertisement

That's fair enough if you don't agree. I think a lot of English will believe that their U21 side is better than our first team, the players are technically better, and in tournaments they're playing in more useful games than Ireland have played.

In England, if a manager goes from England U21 to Ireland then it's only a step up in terms of having more media pressure and exposure. It's not going to be useful in any way for someone who wants to coach at elite level, assuming that is what Carsley is aiming for. Therefore the earlier snipe of lacking ambition doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I would say a lot of what you’re pointing out actually says the opposite… the England U21 job is a lot easier - as you say, better players, and playing a much lower standard of opposition - with lower stakes. Any senior job is automatically a bigger challenge playing at a higher level against better teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

0% chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Some reports that the road block to Carsley becoming manager is the cost of his backroom staff. Hopefully a fairy Godfather will come in and close the gap.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Hopefully not. It's an absolute embarrassment that millions were pumped into the FAI by a rich person and it all went on the salaries of two or three people, meanwhile the football infrastructure in the country crumbles.

Would Tim Sherwood be a good idea as a caretaker for the March friendly games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

With revolut seemingly on board does that mean there's more wiggle room in in the budget for the managers salary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

As opposed to millions not coming in for salaries whilst this "crumbling" happens anyway?

Absolutely, doesn't look good for some rich dude to come in to pay the inflated salary of one person in a highly indebted organization that have let ordinary people go and major pay cuts for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Even though it got us a very lucrative play off with France and millions from qualification in 2012?

Organisation finances would have been in a much worse position without it.

Past performance of your investment is no guarantee of future success.

Considering the FAI went much further into debt it wasn’t that lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

The funds arent there for Carsley. What about Seamus Coleman as caretaker.

I think that’s one for the John Delaney thread

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Not a chance the FAI appoint someone like Coleman to that role. If they name no manager before then it will likely be in-house so best bet would be Crawford.

Big issue though is all the coaching staff was let go too. Who replaces them if it's an interim. Maybe Coleman steps into a player/coach role if we've an interim manager.

It's dragging on . Bring back Kenny on a lower wage . He knows the ropes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,045 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Chris Coleman not the worst appointment tbh but shows the level were at the moment that not semi decent name wants the gig

Ferguson could be his 'Irish Bale'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Hopefully the continuing rise in LOI attendances will give a push to the next government to start to invest in stadium infrastructure. I see the attendances on opening night were excellent again almost across the board tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

So the only ones interested are Lennon,Bruce ,Allardyce and Keane ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement