Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Those IDF soldiers are a disgrace.

They are as bad as those Hamas members who mocked the hostages with food, outlined earlier by another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

IF they were shot "for **** and giggles" then that is a war crime and the shooter deserves to be court martialled and severely punished.

IF that's what happened. You can't possibly tell all that from carefully edited clips. Remember all those people who were so sure that Israel had fired missiles at a hospital when it was a misfiring rocket from PIJ?

There's been plenty more of that too.

But for those crimes that Israeli soldiers have committed, then yes of course they're responsible for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭jmreire

And I can guarantee you Donald, that if there was the same religious driven hate in the North that exists in the middle east, the " Troubles" would still be ongoing. And that's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭dmcdona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

FT reporting two hostages rescued from Rafah this morning. Three Hamas killed plus around 50 Palestinian civilians killed overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

No, people wonder why the Palestinians keep starting fights. With a much stronger neighbour. It seems crazy and suicidal.

And genocidal since their aim is to destroy Israel. At any cost, even the cost of endless Palestinians deaths. Yes we do wonder why they would not prefer to live in peace?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

What peace? The peace of being blockaded for decades? Having land taken away constantly? Internment without trial? Laws passed in government consigning any Israeli Arab to second citizen status, that peace?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

while the Americans were sitting down to watch the shite that is the Super Bowl with their children. People in Rafah were plucking the remains of blown up children from walls. I believe Israel ran some adds during the game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The obsession with martyrdom and jihad in Islam and fighting and hating the numerous groups it demands its adherents fight.

Until they reform the faith or abandon it, things will never change in that region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

More hostages freed - Super result!!!

Are you not happy that hostages have been freed? Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

Great to see hostages freed bit I wouldn't consider somewhere in the region of 30k dead, mostly innocent children and women a "Super Result!". AFP reporting close to 100 killed last night alone.

Is that the value of thoses 3 hostages lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,606 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It was there JM. The difference was that some of the major environmental factors were eliminated. When that is done, a lot of the hate dissipates.That's the point. If you still had the same level of discrimination and division up North, you would still have that hate

You are well traveled. Despite what some would try to stereotype, how much anti-Western religious fervor would you find among well educated and wealthy Iranian kids for example? When people have other things to focus on, and hope for their own lives, they aren't as readily sucked into throwing their life away. If you take everything away from those kids and deny them any alternative, then what do you expect.

Of course a better result would be all hostages freed and Hamas/Palestine surrenders.

If one of my family was held hostage I would want everything done to get them released. I wouldn’t be too bothered about the methods used.

You clearly have no idea about Northern Ireland - and think how much closer that is to you than Israel and Gaza! Still, we've had Secretaries of State for Northern Ireland who harboured similar misunderstandings about the Northern Ireland conflict, so you're doing better than that anyway. Seeing as you're not actually trying to run the place.

(In case it's not clear, the comparison with Karen Bradley is because she had no idea that even with transferable voting, Loyalists would NEVER vote for the nationalist candidate and vice versa. Because they don't think about which candidate is the best, but only about which one is the best among "their" candidates. And that hasn't really changed, despite the peace. The divisions are still there.)

Anyway, Northern Ireland is not poor, in global terms. Parts of Dublin are poorer and more dangerous than anywhere in Northern Ireland - and plenty of countries that are far poorer than both have no civil conflict. You make it sound like you think it was a civil war between catholics and protestants. It wasn't - and it was never really amenable to being bought off with money either, so the divisions don't "dissipate" by throwing money at them.

Anyway that's all a bit off topic and would be far too long to put you right here - but just to say that your conviction that Northern Ireland is a good parallel to Israel-Gaza, and that the same solutions apply is down to your lack of understanding of both.

Strange that you are from there if you never heard of the civil rights protests. Did some other "Nationalists" up there perhaps consider them to be just whingers? Here are some starts from wikipedia as an easy starting place

The 1971 census offered the first opportunity to assess the extent of any discrimination in employment, as it was the first census since 1911 that provided cross-tabulation by religion and occupation. The census documented that Protestant male unemployment was 6.6% compared to 17.3% for Catholic males, while the equivalent rates for women were 3.6% and 7% respectively. Catholics were over-represented in unskilled jobs and Protestants in skilled employment. Catholics made up 31% of the economically active population but accounted for only 6% of mechanical engineers, 7% of 'company secretaries and registrars' and 'personnel managers', 8% of university teachers, 9% of local authority senior officers, 19% of medical practitioners, and 23% of lawyers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_Civil_Rights_Association

Below is an article looking at some of the areas which are still deprived.

Here is an article from last year with the silly notion of riots being rooted in poverty and deprivation

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/derry-strabane-riots-deprivation-northern-ireland-good-friday-agreement/

Here is another report for you which states (amongst other things):

Yet it is clearly true that poverty and the absence of any prospect of a prosperous future fuels resentment and alienation while sectarian division prevents any meaningful efforts to generate a flourishing economy by deterring investment and driving the fight of talent. Connecting anti-sectarian work with action to prevent and address poverty and deprivation is critical, especially in education, health, security and planning.

https://www.ulster.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/410227/A-Review-Addressing-Sectarianism-in-Northern-Ireland_FINAL.pdf

"Poverty" and "deprivation" does not have to be absolute. A systemic unfairness and bias will drive resentment and anger.

Ultimately, given that you disagree that poverty and deprivation contribute to the ease at which people are attracted into extreme positions, I'd be interested to hear your reasons as to why paramilitaries would have had much more support up North than in the Republic say 30 years ago. Why is support in NI less now than it would have been 30 years ago? If it wasn't environmental, was it perhaps genetic? That wouldn't make sense to me, but feel free to enlighten us, and we can see if that same reason is relevant to other conflicts such as those in the Middle East

If you want to claim there is no relevance between the places, then you are free to do that. I already posted the photographs of two groups of civilians, each one holding a white flag, trying to get away from a sniper, and carrying a victim who is bleeding and has been shot by the sniper. One in Gaza and one from Derry. Claiming one is ok and the other is not would involve a degree of cognitive dissonance that I do not possess.

Nobody is suggesting that money be thrown at Palestinians. But they should be allowed to have a chance at controlling their own future and they should be allowed to have reasonable and realistic hopes and dreams. If you condemn them to nothing but a slow death in a massive open air prison camp, then don't be surprised if they want to bite you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I'm also not convinced on the NI parallels and think they are misleading at best, outright distortional at worst. It is understandable that Irish people reach for their own history when searching for answers but I don't think it helps.

It's actually hard to think of any equivalent modern situation that is a fair comparison. I think Israel-Palestine exists in its own unique context (which is not to say that the dynamics of that context are not fluid and constantly changing)

I am. But you have to see the other side of it too. And these people were killed as a diversion

https://x.com/GUnderground_TV/status/1756956891970707674?s=20

• Advertisement

The analogy was used to make the point that it is easier for extreme positions to develop and grow, and for more people to be recruited to them, when those people are oppressed.

You shouldn't need a sniper rifle trained on a palestinian youth 24/7 for the rest of his life to stop him from being an extremist. You just need to give him the opportunity to build a future that he would not want to jeopardise. Give him something to live for or else the extremists will give him something to die for.

On the other side of the coin, if there were consequences for Israeli settlers and other zionist terrorists, they might also not want to jeopardise their futures and might desist from their behaviours.

If someone in Hamas was to take an extreme sociopathic view on the situation, at this stage they might conclude that murdering the hostages could save Palestinian civilian lives.

It shouldn't have to be said - but I'm not saying they should. Just pointing out the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭blue note

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a documentary on the formation of Israel from an Israeli perspective? I'm just trying to understand the conflict and there's endless stuff from the Palestinian perspective and it's very easy to understand to be honest. But from the Israeli side all I can get is that they were being pushed out of other places, the Brits said they could have that place, god promised it to them long before that, their ancestors lived there thousands of years ago. And there's basically no acknowledgement of the three quarters of a million people that were made refugees and obviously then no understanding of the inevitable consequences of that.

LOL I grew up there. I bet you don't even know basic stuff like who "the faceless men" were? (Hint, it's from before the troubles, and has nothing to do with paramilitaries, but is about the systemic discrimination that nationalists suffered.) I'm under no illusions about Northern Ireland.

But I've also travelled since then, to Mongolia and Ecuador and a couple of other places where people are genuinely poor.

And secondly, if you knew anything at all about it, you'd know that the IRA and violent protest generally, got NOTHING for the nationalist community. That's a rewriting by Sinn Fein and eejits who - as I said before - were perfectly happy to go along with the previous groupthink about Northern Ireland, about the need for Section 31 for example, are now equally ready to unthinkingly swallow the narrative that says that the IRA was an inevitable outpouring of nationalist pain. It wasn't.

This is not the thread for a detailed discussion of the NI conflict, so I'm aware I'm off topic but it'w important when you keep bringing this in. I'll just suggest you look at the timelines of what really happened: for instance all the major civil rights gains - one man one vote, fair housing, anti-discrimination laws in the workplace - were all accepted well before the IRA and violent protest became a thing. Those rights were either being set up or were already in place, depending on how complex the changes required were.

The IRA then jumped on the bandwagon, aided by a number of errors by the British government, mostly caused by the fact that when Labour lost to the Tories in 1970, the Tories wanted to "do things differently" to Labour, and took an openly pro-loyalist and pro-police approach.

But the IRA themselves were never about civil rights. Peaceful protest by NICRO got those for us. The IRA caused more damage to nationalists, in all sorts of ways (including wrecking the economy and eliminating tourism for 20+years) as well as the consequence of having the British Army all over the place.

But you know, I'm old to remember - just - when the army arrived, and people were so happy and relieved to see them. They were coming to save us from the B Specials. Why it all went wrong after is an interesting point - see my point about the Tories above, but it's more complicated than that - and does, despite my main argument here - also have lessons for understanding why the IDF are so brutal to Palestinian civilians.

Took me years to understand that, BTW, so I get why you, from outside, don't get it. The simplistic "us versus them" is so much easier to (think you) understand.

(I see you've even quoted the NICRO link - WTF did they have to do with violent protest?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_Civil_Rights_Association

As for your Open Democracy link - the reality is that the riots are very like the Dublin riots a couple of months ago. A woman I know well whose 14 year old son was arrested (in NI, not Dublin) actually said to me "Sure what else do the young ones have to do around here?" Like FFS? It's called PARENTING. And as for the claim that they have nothing to do? Utter sh1te.

I'll repeat what I already attempted to explain to you a few times. The point is about the creation and growth of groups that would be considered extreme. Not about how effective they subsequently are.

The rest of your post is below JC level of history. Try to read some of those articles that I posted. They explain how areas of deprivation and poverty are fertile breeding grounds for sectarianism and paramilitarism. That's not saying (which I think you appear to be taking from it) that the paramilitaries are trying to cure the deprivation or poverty. It is merely saying that they using it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,551 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The Netherlands have announced that they will no longer deliver parts for the F-35 fighter jets.

"Court orders Netherlands to halt delivery of fighter jet parts to Israel

The court noted a clear risk that the parts are being used in ‘serious violations of international humanitarian law’."

Do try not to explain to me what you don't really understand yourself. I lived there, all the way through the worst of it. I don't need ill-informed southerners lecturing to me based on some googling.

I know they're using it - I said so myself. Obviously. But that doesn't make the two situations the same, and the answers aren't the same either. So you constantly referring to NI as though it were relevant (and it does have some parallels, just not the ones you think) is just increasing misinformation - about NI as much as about Palestine.

It's the lecturing from someone whose knowledge of the NI conflict is based on popular rumour and some googling that's irritating. If you want to tell other people they don't know about Northern Ireland, learn about it yourself first!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Wasn't that moment of opportunity Oslo? (amazing to think that was nearly 30 years ago now)

Or the oft-forgotten Olmert accords in 2008? When Olmert basically offered to remove almost all the West Bank settlements.

There have been opportunities for peace. Some of them have even been taken, such as the Camp David Accords or the Israel-Jordan Treaty.

But relitigating the past seems somewhat pointless....it's happened. What the players have to do, somehow, is find a path forward. Right now, there seems no willingness on either side to do so. So that's where the international power brokers should be stepping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭taratee

Biden is a career politician who is up for re-election soon. The US has always supported Israel and any deviation from that support will cost him votes. Those votes could be the difference between winning and losing when it comes to the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,551 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

More israeli scumbaggery

Israel told Palestinians to move south where they would be safe, Israel last night Bombed a refugee camp (there's probably a Hamas command center under those tents or something) killing and wounding hundreds.

Its genocide.

Advertisement