Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

This whole idea that someone can control house prices is just laughable. As long as the money printing bey ECB/ governments continues building costs will go up. If left wing governed Germany flounders further and gets into more consumption debt expect a EUR -30% drop and more parabolic house prices increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

If house prices are to fall by 30% then we would need to be building at least twice the number of houses we currently do and would need a massive oversupply of housing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If house prices dropped by 30%, supply would hit the floor. It would no longer be feasible to build houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If your mortgage is higher than the value of your house if you want to move you need money to fund the shortfall and you need a deposit for the new house.

On the LPT at present it's set for a five year period it will neither go up or down in that period

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭hometruths

How much could house prices drop from current levels and it would still remain feasible to build houses? Is it 5%, 10%, 20%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

house prices should only go up that's how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 11 VPNNoobie

Utterly depressing as a single person looking to buy.

I see apartments that were 200k just a couple years ago now going for 250k and they're ****. Like how could I live in a matchbox like that and have to share with someone (because I'm not paying 40% of my salary on a **** apartment)

This whole idea that someone can control house prices is just laughable.

Yes funny indeed considering the government have controlled them (pushing them up) with all these grants and central bank have done them same with the loosening of lending rules.

Tough ****, they made the choice.

There's no 0 risk investment. Well, currently there is...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

As did those who chose not to buy when property was 20% cheaper, wouldn’t you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Where are people getting 30%drops and IMO the way the game is rigged here prices will not be dropping for at least another 10 years and that's only if our population size stopped growing for the next 10 years and the builders built maybe double the amount of houses than what is currently being built. The way this works is any threat to prices builders pull back and wait for demand through emigration which is not easing any time soon. Also people are coding themselves if they think homeowners want to see prices drop there may be a small % but in the main why would you want an asset to drop in price when it would impact on the size of the inheritance left behind for kids/grand kids and other family members. Even the world wide shocks over the last number of years Brexit, Covid, Ukraine as well as the recent ECB interest rate increases prices have still gone up with the exception of a modest drop at the start of 2020 and then it went gang busters again. Throw in our archaic laws about repossession that we dont really do its hard to see where the supply will be coming from. I really thought modular homes would of ticked up by now but that stream of supply seems to have gone very quiet I wonder it the construction lobby have been a flea in the ear of government. Ireland is not your typical market our country is seen as a beacon that others from the outside looking in can make a decent living or live on a very generous welfare handouts and their kids get a relatively good level of education. Until the world catches up or we decide to cut welfare or our education system hits the skids we are going to see the numbers coming here increase and more demand and a continued under supply of houses = higher prices.

• Advertisement

Yeah but currently there's no risk with property. You're better off overextending yourself. It's worked the last 9 or 10 years for everything.

It's supposed to be a free market. Those who waited (I am one) have been shafted by government and bank interference. They introduced grants, expanded and increased them and CB loosened lending rules and now mortgage interest relief.

I don't know why people say it wouldn't be feasible to build houses.

If there was a 30% drop then it would mean economy is not doing well, which means deflation. If prices drop 30% then no one will build at current prices. What happens? Builders are out of work and work for less money. Building materials drop in price.

I don't know why when people talk about feasibility of building houses if prices drop 30%, that they always use the current feasibility figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Modular homes is an interesting one.

I assume there must be a lot of objections to these schemes, or perhaps they dont fully meet Ireland's building requirements?

For instance, what would stop the govt building modular estates on the outskirts of towns and cities?

It must be quicker to deliver these homes and could really peg back the housing shortfall.

Nimbys will object, but they object anyway. If the schemes are out of town and subject to a strategic planning order that mitigates a lot of objections, we might get somewhere.

There must be ways to deliver these schemes to market at a rapid rate vs standard new home construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

modular homes were built here without much fuss for ukrainians. always wondered why they werent ever used (even as a temp solution) for say single people on housing lists or homeless etc. sure someone here will know more than me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

A competent pension fund would be delighted with an inflation linked bond as opposed to the 0ish rate bonds that almost blew up the British pensions sector in 2022 and US banking in 2023

First objective of a pension fund is to protect customers wealth from inflation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sounds like non-buyers remorse. You are now looking for more intervention to bring the price down.

Quietly under the surface, the Irish are sterilising themselves. Good job we get so many migrants. Who wil preserve the "value" of your homes

Maybe many of our elders see this and that's why 63% of homeowners want house prices to drop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

One person gets in, gets a job, then calls the whole family.

I have seen it couple of times. These people are in no position to support their family with their Irish salary. Who will pick the tab I wonder? Hmmmm. State will pay for their house by hap or similar. Then we will wonder why state provide vital services for the citizens who paid in the coffers forever

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

There is a different type of house, surprisingly not snapped yet.

It is only the middle bit.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

What timespan are people fitting this 30% drop in house prices into?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's nonsense, plain and simple. You'd need the 2008 financial crisis to happen again to be near a 30% drop in prices.

There's nothing that indicates something similar will happen. Material and labour costs are too high, demand is too high, immigration is high, supply is too low. Lending controls mean that mortgage debt is much less than it was in early 2000's.

No indication that supply will rise to the numbers needed any time in the next 5 years.

Supply is a big issue. They're building maybe half as many houses to meet the demand and that number is only rising gradually. Planning permissions last year are maybe 1/3 of what was granted in the early 2000's. There's no quick end in sight for this that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

I don't disagree with anything you've written. I was actually thinking about how slow a burn the 30% would need to be in order to not to wreck the lending criteria of banks.

Imagine the scenario where from 2026-2027 there is a 10% drop in house prices and Taoiseach Mary Lou McDonald says "We are on course" etc. In this scenario, with the stated goal being another 20% drop, how many 90% mortgages are banks going to hand out?

That second year, where the former €430,000 home is now worth €390,000 with legislation lined up to help bring it down further, would be very interesting.

It is easy to say "they can take the negative equity on the chin" to a subset of homeowners, but I can see it impacting borrowers, too, if the reduction in prices was fast. There's a whole other story if it is too slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That's the crux of it. How many loans would banks give developers when the selling price of a house could be impacted by legislation to hit an arbitrary price target?

IMO House prices are destined for small decreases as interest rates bite, but the large drops people are hoping for won't happen. I would be surprised if we get even a 3% drop YOY over the next few years.

Also, I don't see interest rates from Irish lenders decreasing in the next 3 years at least, even if the ECB drops their rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

What legislation will result in house price drop? Sorry bit aloof on this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I think you’re missing the point……pension funds already invest in property. Who do you think the investors are in the funds that have been buying property left right and centre. Are you saying we need more of this? Think about it and the impact it has on the market.

As for gilts or government bonds these are considered one of the safest assets to invest in and much safer than property. It is more or less as risky as holding cash unless the are issued by some banana republic.

British pension sector issue you mention was not an issue about Bonds but how they were subsequently used. (I.e. they were in effect shorted to make extra money and people got caught with their pants down)

us banking issue was yet again not due to bonds but due to power management decisions who made a big risky bet that rates would not rise…..it was pure greed and nothing more.

In an inflationary environment prices can correct without falling

I believe affordability improved a little last year

Rents is where the real damage is at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

+1 to all of this, apart from the holiday home.

I'm an owner of two properties and I'd love if prices dropped by 30% tomorrow. I've got a significant outstanding mortgage (I'm young-ish) on one of them so in theory would be more impacted than most by potentially being moved slightly into negative equity if the drop was that much. But I don't plan on selling any time for a few decades so in reality it wouldn't mean anything negative for my day to day life.

It would, however, help my friends and family who're not home owners yet to buy. And would help my business get staff. And, on a general basis, I'd feel happier with more Irish people able to own their own homes. All three of those make such a drop completely worth it to me. And according to both the polls and my own anecdotal evidence, a majority of other homeowners too.

We have absolutely zero spare labour capacity in the construction industry in Ireland at present. And billions of euros worth of government projects waiting to go, with funding available, that just need that very capacity.

If the private sector reduced supply (which may or may not happen at a significant level, exact profit margins in the industry at present are murky at best) the government could and would absolutely step in to hoover up the spare capacity and put it to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The economic event required to drop our housing market by 30% would also leave our government without the funding capacity to do that. There is no scenario where property in this country drops by 30% and we aren't all much worse off.

As somebody said above, the market staying flat during an inflationary period would be a far better scenario which would make property more affordable.

• Advertisement

There have been plenty of measures discussed repeatedly in this very thread that would reduce property prices without requiring a general recession.

Remove the demand side incentives like the FHS instantly. Provide incentives/disincentives to move private sector construction workers from commercial to housing. Remove the tax breaks for REITs, and increase the stamp duty for multiple-property at a time purchases. Massively expand our training&apprentice program, and then use these workers over time to increase housing supply. etc

We mightn't get all the way to 30% (thats just the figure under discussion because it a level of drop which polls show most home owners support), but we'd certainly make a dent in things.

Advertisement