Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Excellent start by KK yesterday with good work by the forwards and off the shoulder running but seemed to tire after the early effort. Shane Murphy did well, is he a bit slow? Mikey Carey and Cian Kenny deserve another go at midfield. Heary and Hogan not very prominent. Hope Liam Blanch gets a go at ff if recovered from injury

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Not surprising to see heavy pitches given the rainfall over the week, racing had to be cancelled in Thurles only last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The_Tank

So the puck out thing has been on my mind. And yeah it's only February and yeah most teams won't show their hand until Championship. But I thought it would be interesting to compare Kilkenny to a couple of other teams. So I had a look at the first half of the Galway Tipp match.

The idea wasn't to write a missive on short puck outs vs long. The idea was just to see what the general ratios are in terms of short to long and how teams get on with them. Again, this is just 30 minutes of two teams in the league but I thought it worth sharing. I think Galway are very like ourselves (maybe a bit behind) in trying to get their heads around this - and Tipp somewhat similar but maybe with a coach with a more 'modern pedigree' - whatever that means and I don't mean anything by it.

I broke it down by 'short' (to the corner back), medium (around the 45) and long (you guessed it).

I also took note of whether it worked (W = Win) out or not (L= Loss) but again that's not the real point. Worked out means the team 'won' possession. For short ones to the corner back I didn't give a 'W' unless the ball upfield was won. Sometimes a (W) or (L) came after a pretty random ruck and not a clean take.

I didn't get into the whole did the whole 'did a score come out of it'. Sometimes the replay interfered with the view of the puck out.

This type of analysis doesn't take into account teams changing shape or workmates are any of that scientific stuff.

So I had the following (someone can check this if they really want but this is broad brushstrokes stuff)

Tipp: L(W), L(W), M (W), L (W), L (W), M (L), ? (L), L (L), S (W), M (L), S(L), L (L) S (W), L (L), L (L), S (W), L (L)

9 Long, 3 Medium, 4 Short. Their first short one was in the 22nd minute. Their first medium one was in the 13th minute.

Galway:

S (W), M (L), L (W), L (L), L (L), L (L), L (L), L (W), S (L), L (L), L (W), M (L), L (W), L (W), L (W), L (W), L (L), L (L), L (W)

15 Long , 2 Medium, 2 Short. They had a purple patch at one point on the long ones to the left wing before switching.

If/when I get time I'd like to compare this to Kilkenny. Or if a kind poster sees some value in this and wants to save me the effort. Especially the second half where Cork actually decided to tackle us. It just felt like once again when the pressure was on Kilkenny went route one. But my question was - what are others doing? and I thought the Galway Tipp was more of a pressurised situation (i.e. 2 teams turned up)

My takeaway was both teams were more route one than I expected and incurred a lot of losses in that approach (Galway were very poor but hit a short purple patch to skew the number). Interestingly Tipp weren't interested in short ones for the first 22 minutes and perhaps they decided that or perhaps Galway pulled a player out.

Either way the long ball hasn't died. At least for February. And yes it's just the league and no one will give away their best plans. But I didn't see any mad innovation. I really liked what Kilkenny did in the first half without much striking of the ball (hand passes and runners). I really dislike when they hit it short to a back and they stick pass it out. I intensly dislike the Medium ball up the middle to a back who has his back turned - we're guilty on that one on more than one occasion. Interesting Galway also got caught with it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Didn't see the Tipp game yesterday so didn't see the scoreboard but one of the things in Phil Hogan's report in how to maximise income from Nowlan Park is to digitalise it by bringing in digital advertising hoarding etc.. wouldn't be surprised if this will include changes to scoreboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I would mention Donal Og's point that a lot of these 'county' grounds are under utilised , so going after these revenue streams is a bit pie-in-the-sky ish , maybe even the 'easy option' ? .. ( "Shur just sell advertising around the pitch...They'll be delighted to see their name in a GAA ground" )

Why spend ALL that money on stadiums that are full 3-4 times a year , at the expense of Club facilities, and player development.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The_Tank

I'll try to be fair and say DoC occasionally makes a good point but when it comes to the Cork Co. Board his views are always prejudiced. In my opinion it's a brilliant stadium and a credit to Cork. It will eventually get paid off and they are big enough a county to manage it. It's in the wrong place for visiting supporters as it's a bloody nightmare for parking though. But they have plenty of other sports to offer it to. 17 years ago he was complaining about having to piss on the floor in the dressing room. Now they're pissing in crystal urinals. You can't win.

Now he wants the fabled Centre of Excellence - the very model which is being seriously questioned in England in relation to soccer btw - but in fairness who would refuse one if they had one. And it's a broad term which can mean a lot of things. And Limerick seamed to steel a march on everyone with their approach. Or maybe they just had a freakish bunch. I'm not aware that they have some purpose built secret missile silo in a volcano where average chaps are experimented on with lasers to turn them into 6ft 5 AI driven robo hurlers. I think it's as much that they have UL there and the best in sports science and facilities with decades of experience. Not so easy to replicate if you don't have that. I'm not arguing against having something - but it needs to make sense.

Btw aren't Cork winning everything at underage now?

I'd be more concerned with the chancers and bullshit merchants and hangers on bleeding money out of both the ladies and the mens games at club and county level. It's completely unchecked and abused. Underage fees used to pay an outside manager and all that. backroom teams like American football. THAT gets my goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Imagine 1 or 2 of these per province ?

Would they ever take off? (pardon the pun!) 😁

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

With all the talk on here recently of development centres of excellence, would we not be better off developing the game in the south of the county? Once you travel past ballyhale, you would struggle to find a club that has produced a senior county hurler in decades. With only a small number of clubs in the county we need to get the most from everywhere. Can the county board not concentrate on this area to help develop these clubs to produce players capable of starting for our senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

That is a fair point but there is clubs in the north really struggling, I am talking about Fenians, Urlingford, Ballyraggett, Galmoy and Freshford who are all Junior and Conahy are really struggling underage. There is a core of clubs in the south mid and south east doing very well led by Ballyhale then Thomastown, Glenmore, Mullinavat are senior, Rower are a strong club and Tullogher are doing good things. These clubs have produced a lot of intercounty hurlers in the last few years

Post edited by Village87 on

I said I'd give an update after last night's county board meeting on different things but probably not a whole lot to expand on. The February county board meeting is usually the busiest and longest so as I say not a massive amount of updates but there are a few. On the fund raising side of things there is a corporate breakfast with Mary McAleese as the guest speaker and a sit down discussion with Derek Lyng, Richie Hogan and Grace Walsh, 30 full tables sold so far and still hoping to get more in. A good few new advertising hoarding gone up in and around Nowlan Park and they're expecting more in the coming weeks, a new deal with Clubber expected to be announced soon for 2024 also. Another thing apparently ready to be launched is a new Kilkenny Gaa App which will be launched in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

That sounds extremely positive and lots of hard work going on. Do we employ a commercial manager like Wexford or is it volunteers doing all this good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Thanks for positive update. Keep it coming. Things are on the up as was witnessed around Cork last Saturday with minors, under 20s and seniors in action. A great buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

From what I know most of the work is being done by the officers of the boards and appointments onto various committee's. I think Phil Hogan is still working in the background and has been very involved in getting people into the business breakfast morning. I think a company in Dublin has come in and given a hand with the digital marketing side, I believe Hogan has agreed for them them to work free of charge for 3/5 years and then will agree to a payment price going forward but if they can bring in as much income as they say they can it will be well worth it.

Listened to an interview with Michael Fennelly on Scoreline.ie. Great insight to what his role is, what he's done to date and future plans. Sounds very promising. Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

You could hear the passion and pride Fennelly has for Kilkenny hurling in the interview, he seems a very motivated individual.

Best of luck to him and I’ve no doubt we will see the fruits of his & the other coaches work down the line.

I felt the same. He came across as a staunch Kilkenny hurling man. Very best of luck to him and his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Just a question relating to the changes to the age groups to U18. Ive heard conflicting reports of U18 players allowed to play adult hurling but not for the clubs 1st team. Is this correct or can any U18 player up to the age this year play for the clubs 1st team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Any player who turns 18 in 2024 can play for any adult team in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Offally at home sunday and our last league match at home for the year.We will be expected to get the win and bring us up to 5 points in the table. If we get anything from either of the last 2 matches it should put us in the top division next year. It is important for the development of players to be playing against the better teams plus the crowds will come when its better opposition.

It was a very valuable win in cork the last day. The match is probably forgotten about now but we mixed the good with the bad plus cork started very poorly.No team will dominate for 70 minutes but it has to be a concern how we cant manage games better when on top although we did do well to see that game out. Im thinking of the previous week we should of seen that out . It has happened alot over the last few years.

There doesnt seem to be anything new jumping out this season so far although it is early and conditions have being challenging. Corcoran is being tried at 6. Richie reid was in a boot the last day. We could do with someone putting their hand up for this postion. Some of the puckouts have being woeful.its inexcusable that these arent being worked on. Mikey carey will be a big help around midfield.

It will be intresting to see what he does with deegan who will probably return this weekend or next. I think he would bring more to the attack and i hope he is given a few games there. Jordon molloy is unlucky he picked up a hand injury that will rule him out for a while. Liam blanchfield picked up a hamstring a few weeks ago and he is another who could do with plenty of hurling. Tom phelan will miss most of the league. Stephen donnelly is another who could do with league time but he is injured.

I wouldnt mind seeing david fogarty getting a run in a few matches. Shane murphy was very good the last day and will also get a few more runs. Conor heary has being working hard but we will need him to be troubling the scoreboard if he is to make the team later in the year. Luke hogan came out of no where the last day. Ian byrne will probably get a run. He was coming on for ul. He has bulked up a good bit. Management will have to try unearth a few fowards so they will have to stay trying lads. So far its the same fowards who are hurling well. Its absolutely crucial we find a few fowards.

Offally are improving and have a good spine.They probably should of bet wexford.Kiely at 6 is a big unit. Realistically this is a match kk should be winning but they will also have to be tuned in. You would hope a few lads might get a run.

• Advertisement

For all the overhyping of our young players on here by certain posters, not one Kilkenny player on the fitzgibbon cup team of the year. This is the competition where intercounty players are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Team of the year!! we barely had any players in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Genuine question…. who was being over hyped on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Jesus one time we used to dominate Fitzgibbon especially in UCD And Waterford IT but I feel now there is a lot of ethnic cleansing by colleges playing all there own local players stared by Davy Fitz with the Limerick colleges.

Ah would you stop, it's embarrassing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Wouldn’t say we ever dominated the Fitz college teams maybe around 04-2010 there was a lot of players with wit ucd etc from Kilkenny but that was 14 15 plus years ago there’s been a steady decline in kk players on Fitz teams the last 10 years for sure which follows the trend of our underage record being poor over that period of time also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

The finalists were: Mary I 3 Clare, 5 Tipp, 3 Limerick, 2 Waterford, 1 Galway, 1 Cork. The 3 subs were Galway, Tipp, Clare. 

UL 6 Limerick, 2 Galway, 3 Clare, 1 Cork, 1 Offaly, 1 Tipp, 1 Waterford. 

The subs were 3 Clare, 1 Limerick, 1 Kilkenny

Advertisement