Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown back garden - how best to put in lawn

Options
  • 12-02-2024 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hi, clueless here

The back garden gets very wet in winter, with some puddles that stay for a while after rain.

The soil is really dense too, not like my last back garden. So any walking on it removed the grass when it was wet.

Id like to put a lawn in that will last the wet weather. Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You will either need to put in some serious drainage - are you surrounded on all sides by gardens or is there somewhere you can direct water to? And improve the soil by introducing more organic matter, but no point doing that without improving drainage. The only alternative would appear to be something like paving, and even then you will need some drainage.

If it is a new house it is just possible that the area has been completely compacted by machinery, and may contain builders' rubbish. That would be easier to sort but you would need to establish what kind of soil you have and if it is compacted. You could try digging a hole maybe 30 - 60 cm across and the same deep and see does water drain out of it, also note as you dig what the condition of the soil is and how solid the sub soil is.

Can you draw a rough plan of the garden giving an idea of the size, any slope on it and what surrounds it? Do your neighbours have similar problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Try forking it

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Thanks, good one I'll ask the neighbours. I don't think so as they have no probs with their grass.

The soil is brown clay , garden is a rectangle 7m by 5m and flat.

It's not a new build,so I think it is all clay.

How deep before I see the subsoil would you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If your neighbours don't have any problems and have not had drainage put in or remedial treatment then its unlikely to be a 'claypan' - a layer of impermeable clay maybe 30 to 60cm deep under the topsoil. Does your garden lie lower than those around?

Clay soil is improved by incorporating lots of organic matter - compost, wood chips, manure, bark mulch. Sand is not a good solution to clay, though gravel can help. A load of good, aged wood chips, preferable hardwood, would help though, I can get a good sized trailer load, around 3 to 4 cu metres for €130 delivered locally, so its worth asking round people who do tree and hedge cutting.

Its hard to say where the sub soil would be, can be just a few inches down, could be 30cm or more. Or you may not have much top soil at all. The treatment as above would help create topsoil, along with lots of worms.

You do need to establish whether drainage is needed though, remedial work on the soil will help but you are wasting your time if there is a serious drainage issue.

Edit - its worth saying that any lawn especially one in not great condition will not take kindly to being walked on when wet. If you have walked a track you might be advised to just put down a path. There could be puddles for a while on any lawn immediately after heavy rain, especially on clay soil, so maybe soil improvement would be the solution.

Post edited by looksee on

• Advertisement

Advertisement