Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

That will come up in part 2!!! (if Tucker can be persuaded to come back..)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I think for any prospect of a return to democracy in Russia, a bad outcome in Ukraine for Putin would help that process by showing the Russian people that aggression and dictatorship does not work. Thats part of how the USSR came to an end with the defeat and withdrawal of the Soviets from Afghanistan.

The defenders of Avdiivka have posted this fundraiser for the defence of the city. The situation there is critical.

Video message here from defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The contract is for $10 billion, quite a large figure. I would expect defense countries within Europe could develop a similar system seeing as how they can produce AA systems and cruise missiles.

So I suspect it's down to urgency and it's also battle tested. It's just a massive amount of launchers (~500) Considering the limited range of missiles Ukraine has been given, they can still hit anywhere on the frontline with just 8 launchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Worse then that, 'encourage them to do whatever they want to do'.

Not surprised though, given how Trump and cultural Russian treatment of women is broadly similar.

I wonder would he encourage the Russians to loot rape and pillage where they to invade UK and Ireland, but expect some sort of gentleman's agreement where they don't touch his golf resorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there is an arty shortage in Ukraine, 225K shells is well short of a thousand a day , dont Ukraine need to be firing 5-10K a day?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Im not quite sure what your point was , but Im saying Russia wont take all of Ukraine because I dont think they are strong enough to or they know it would be a trap, and they aint "collapsing any day now" so the obvious end to this war will be some version of an East West Ukraine

On that basis , the arguments that Poland is next and Russia will collapse in 6 months are just unlikely scenarios to keep the war going while chewing through more Ukrainians.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

How do you envision this East/West Ukraine coming about? Do you think it would be an agreement between Ukraine and Russia?

dont know, I'd guess a ceasefire at some stage, hopefully in ~2025 at the latest,followed by possibly years of talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

I never said the 224,000 shells figure was a number for the annual supply to Ukraine. It looks to me like you are deliberately trying to miss represent what I have posted.The figure the EU has set as an initial target for supplying to Ukraine is 1000,000 shells per annum which equates to over 2,700shells per day.

Ukraine is also producing its own ammunition and there are other countries outside the EU supplying weapons to Ukraine to help them defend themselves from aggression from putin's forces. I can't answer your question on how many shells Ukraine needs to fire to defend itself from putin but it seems from what I have seen that they are more reliant on drones and the accurate use of more modern artillery and missiles which may get more effect from less numbers of units fired. Its not like they are copying the tactic of putin's forces of simply using dumb artillery shells to demolish towns and cities.

Just checked there and the figure Ukraine's armed forces have posted for artillery systems they have eliminated is 9475 so maybe it is putin's forces that now have an artillery shortage in Ukraine and since this is such a central part of their offensive strategy it makes further gains of territory by putin less likely.

I really don't see that happening. From Russia's own viewpoint/demands, they would want all the sanctions dropped, their assets unfrozen, the land they currently occupy to be recognized internationally and I doubt they will pay the 100's of billions (closer to $1 Trillion) in restitution to Ukraine.

If Russia did get all that, knowing Putin, he would just rearm and try again in a few years. Third time lucky!

• Advertisement

it all shapes up that 24 will not be a good year for Ukraine, currently arty shells are selling for up to $8K each which is multiples of the production cost, which means there is too much money chasing too few shells, possibly Israel adding to the demand as well. These supply issues cant turn around quickly, it could be 12 to 18 months

If the US Congress pass another aid package for Ukraine, they can keep giving Ukraine the cluster shells. There's no way they will be giving them to Israel. The US has a stockpile of them, so they can help bridge the gap until European manufacturing increases. And again, I can't see European countries selling shells to Israel no matter the price.

I wouldn't think another aid package would be needed for these cluster shells to be sent to Ukraine. I read somewhere that the USA has decided they will not be using them anyway. They could just be sold to Ukraine for a nominal fee for disposal.

Ideally yeah, but for some reason all the value of the weapons supplied to Ukraine, the used ones etc... was the book value. They don't seem to take into account depreciation! Maybe they could pay Ukraine to dispose of them in the most economical way possible!

You are just ignoring what I have posted and repeating nonsense that numbers of dumb artillery shells is what will decide the outcome of putin's attempt to seize parts of Ukraine. putin's forces since the more widespread invasion of Ukraine two years ago are down nearly ten thousand artillery systems and large numbers of other weapon systems and huge numbers of their trained troops so increasingly they wont be able to do anything other than send waves of poorly trained new recruits to provide fertiliser for Ukrainian soils. Increasingly Ukraine is now also able to strike at putin's empire with their own longer range weapons making his empire building more costly and even more clearly a huge mistake that the people of the russian federation will take decades to recover from and could bring it as an individual economic area to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

When Avdiivka falls I really hope the new frontline includes the coke plant fortress. Would be a shame to lose such a powerful fortification on the frontline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Have either the UK or Germany actually supplied Israel with shells?

I'd be wary of trying to portray that the Russians are going to run out of stuff, in some shape or another thats been used since a few months after the war started but you could roll it up into the scenario that the lines dont move much from here. This is a war of attrition where one country has 4 or 5 times the population of the other. Ukraine need to minimise their own attrition by being fully in a fully defensive mode. The summer offensive was a waste and their stubbornness by trying to hold on to salients is likewise wasteful. They should round out their lines, fall back to better positions where appropriate and maximise the cost to the Russians of trying to advance, essentially try to ensure a stalemate

wars tend to go on longer than they need to because rationality goes out the door , what would a survey of males aged 18 to 50 have to say? morally that the only group who's opinion matters as they are ones paying the price, if an honest survey came back with 70%-90% support, I'd say fair enough but I'd imagine its lower.. Going by the rhetoric of the yanks, their main motivation is to hurt Russia, in that context Ukrainian men are expendable, the yanks lack the motivation to give Ukraine a tap on the shoulder to seek peace while no doubt only seeing Ukraine now in terms of Biden's electoral chances this year. its all very grubby.

• Advertisement

A lot of cloak and dagger stuff going on, so one wouldnt have full clarity , but a 155 shell is a 155 shell, as it is not every new shell made in Europe is going to Ukraine, they have to fulfill contracts for other countries, the US is most likely recycle shells from 3rd countries back to Israel

might well be, but "frozen" is good enough, Putin will be out of the picture in less than 10 years probably and international relations will move on to god knows where. I dont know about the 3rd time lucky, "Western Ukraine" would be a trap/poison pill for Russia. Here and elsewhere there is a whole new asymmetry in favour of the defender, where the invader/occupier pays an increasing cost to be there. If Ukraine had the tech it has now back in 22 , the Russian columns wouldnt have made it far past the border without being picked off and the cost of occupation would be unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Paddigol

It saddens me to hear that kind of rhetoric. We all hope for a Ukrainian victory as soon as possible. But also hopefully with as little loss of life as possible. Those Russian imperialists you refer to are likely the exact same people as you, me and the men/ women they're facing off against in Ukraine. Ordinary people, dragged into a war, compelled to 'answer' 'their' nation's 'call'. Conscripted, poor, uneducated. Going by the rhetoric on here, if we were all Russian, sitting in Moscow, half of ye would be queuing to sign up for the war effort. I doubt very much that the grunts on the frontline in Ukraine have any imperialistic dreams. They most likely just want to stay alive, not be beaten or shot in the back by their commanding officers, get some food, try to stay warm, do as little as possible, keep their heads down and get home to their families.

This war, of one man's making, is a pure and utter tragedy. It's good to discuss it, good to keep up to date on developments, great to hope for positive news from the Ukrainian side. But lets not glorify the slaughter of fellow human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think most people are hoping for the minimal Ukrainian loss of life to occur, most are ambivalent about what happens to the aggressor in this case, people aren't weighing the lives equally.

Most (bar the putin loons, example just before these posts) would prefer russia to retreat back to russia and for no more russian lives to be lost (something they can do at any time). In the absence of that, every aggressor dying (or injured in a way they can't continue fighting) before 1 more Ukrainian die defending their country, would be the next best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I'm not aiming my anger at you. Aiming anger on an internet forum isn't going to achieve anything. If you look at your post history you'll probably find that most of your 'thanks' include one from me. This is a place for civil discussion, not throwing around ridiculous phrases like 'orcs' and RuZZians' as was common place up to recently. Mine is just an opinion. You're the second person to bring the whataboutery argument of "what if bad things happened to your family" into the equation. It's nonsense. I'm not going to cheer the slaughter of ordinary Russian grunts just because of "whataboutery". I can accept that in war, death is an inevitability. I can also accept that if I want a Ukrainian victory, it stands to reason that more Russian soldiers will need to die. But I don't need to revel in their death on an internet forum to prove how much I love my family and what a hero I'd be if whataboutery came to pass.

Again, this isn't meant as an attack on you. It was a general comment on what I've noticed a lot on here. A sense from posters that they have to exultate in the number of daily Russian deaths, as some kind of way of proving to the internet just how committed they are to the Ukrainian cause. When in reality the majority of EU citizens, at an individual level, have made precisely zero sacrifices or contributions to the Ukrainian war effort. "It's not my war to fight" as another poster stated the other day while criticising me for defending the right of people to opt out of taking up arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well you clearly would not be signing up to defend your own people - so your view is understandable. Nobody is glorifying the slaughter, it would be far better for all if Mr.Putin's army retreated back behind their own internationally understood borders.

But they're not Paddi - so what would you do if you were a Ukrainian of service age and capability?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement