Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Workhorse2024

So let me just ask you this before i respond fully to your post,

You believe migration is a good thing and you believe there is no issue with it at its current rate or the people coming to the UK and Ireland?

Do you think we should have open borders and just allow who ever wants to come here for better "Opportunities" to come here easier seeing as we cant deport them anyway?

I want to identify exactly what side of the fence you are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

How is priorising FDI, Jobs and tax take govt greed?

Those things benefit the whole of society.

The north inner city has been under invested, but thats nothing to do with govt greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I am pro-immigration in the sense that I think it is something that is going to happen anyway and so it's better that we make the best of it. I also happen to think that migration is a pretty useful pressure valve for struggling countries that enables its people to seek opportunity and add value elsewhere in the world—and this ability to move around is better than what we have had for most of history when humans wanted to enjoy resources elsewhere (ie, imperialism, colonialism and unsustainably destructive wars).

Do I believe that migration at current levels is problematic? Generally, no — but I would say irregular migration is definitely a problem that needs to be seriously addressed as Europe is geographically the most attractive and easily-reached first world region for regions where there are ongoing conflicts or abject poverty.

But I think people need to broaden their scope slightly if they really want to address that — because in the EU context anyway it's something that requires international co-operation to back up the frontline nations and to create a more cohesive policy where countries actually work together on things like deportations rather than against each other. I think the new EU Asylum & Migration Pact (which absolutely nobody on here ever talks about) is a step in the right direction — but it's not going to solve it fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Advertisement

But why do they come to the UK & Ireland? Thats an awful long way to go for a new opportunity, what was wrong with all the countries they passed thru before getting here?

So are you happy then for say immigrants and asylum seekers to be housed over native Irish? Should a house be given to a foreign family over an Irish one?

I think migration and certain cultures in particular have a devastating effect on countries, Sweden is another example of a place devastated by immigration.

I dont think its a good thing infact the current state of it is extremely dangerous, we are getting opportunistic migrants/refugees who know exactly what they are doing and have planned to manipulate our system landing here to get the most benefits they possibly can they have no good intention for this country only to use and abuse.

There culture is in direct conflict with our culture, and rather than change to ours they want us to change to accommodate them.

My view is it needs to be extremely controlled, the people coming in need to be heavily vetted and we need exact quotas that we will allow in and it has to be heavily biased and favoring to the Irish state and people and in general for the good of our nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I've been thinking about this and I think that given some on the right like to use the term 'Snowflake' to describe some on the left, perhaps 'NannyNeeders' might apply to some on the right?

If a 'Snowflake' is someone over-sensitive to the slightest offence or political incorrectness, a 'NannyNeeder' might be who someone who would love to cry about the 'nanny state', but who actually should have a nanny looking out for them when they go online.

This post now has nearly 20 likes. What is it with the tendency to blindly accept online content as correct, regardless of how suspicious it looks?

I've done some searching around this graph and I can't find any verifiable source. The only place I see it posted is a couple of online forums where it gets pointed out as fake.

Aside from that I'm suspicious on the grounds that the original poster has refused to share any kind of source. After that the statistics it represents seem so out of line with any other reports (some of which do show increased crime rates among certain migrant groups in Germany but nothing close to this extent). Then there's a number of pointers in the graph itself, it gives some countries in their English names, some in German. It's missing several countries and regions entirely. And it lists 'Balkan' as a country.

It might will be that this is a genuine graph, though one generated from very carefully selected factors, but I just find it amazing how many people seem to take something like this as true at face value. It scares me. It's often pointed out that when the far-right came to prominence around the world in the twenties and thirties their use of the then new mass-medias, particularly radio, played a significant part. Yet here we are again with the same type of bile dispensed, now online, to a willing audience.

Indeed as the German police crime statistics (PCS , not PKS) look nothing like that. There's also a tiny little date in the bottom right of 2016 & 2017, not that I believe they are true anyway.

They supply pdfs of crimes, victims, suspects. at

All linked in the above if anyone actually wants to see the truth.

German suspects and non German suspects are reported in different tables.

Of course they will believe it, so long as it suits their bias.

'There culture is in direct conflict with our culture, and rather than change to ours they want us to change to accommodate them.'

Whose culture and who wants us to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The figures do seem extraordinary - that one in two Algerian asylum seekers have committed a 'criminal offence' in Germany for example. Unless they are recording literally every minor misdemeanour such as not paying their fare on a bus, fined for littering or very minor traffic offences or whatever and describing everything as a "crime", it's hard to see how these figures stand up

• Advertisement

They're not true, a fabrication.

the actual figures for Algerian suspects in 2017 was 1.6 per 100,000

linked here. Pdf format for their crime statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Oh right, one of those work of fiction tables created by the AfD for German eejits who lap up this type of stuff (telling them what they want to hear).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You miss the point very spectacularly! Cutbacks, less beds, less staff equals reduced access.

Not the other way round.

I don't see how you can refute my points at all.

You did not 'notice' any issues because as you state you were younger but an insiders' perpective / older person 's viewpoint of what happened to reduce our pretty good health service of the 60s and 70s to where it is now was given.

Accept it or not. But don' t try to make out it is anything else but a downgrading of service.

Our population is going to keep on growing regardless of immigration and services need to be restored and increased to keep up.

Edited tiresome tupos.. typos!

Post edited by Goldengirl on

So separate your argument yourself.

40 to 50 % of our health service is staffed by LEGAL immigration,

As are high numbers in Tech Financial and Hospitality.

There are people conflating Legal and Asylum seekers here calling the latter ILLEGAL.

We cannot do without the former and the latter are not all ILLEGAL or so called because they are economic migrants, so everybody should be more specific about who it is they want out

I have agreed with some of the posters here about deportations and fast tracking any so called ' economic migrants.

Those comments are reasonable.

Its the townspeople ganging up to burn poor Shrek out!

An innocent creature of a different colour.

Edited to add.. This post is not serious, in case some people mysteriously take it as such!

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Ukranian refugees in UK: 200000, population 68m

Ukranian refugees in Ireland: 100000, population 5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No ,it's not that either

It absolutely has nothing to do with this discussion or this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just watched it, she seemed very nervous and wasn't comfortable when Lawlor brought up the thorny issue of immigration.

I was hoping she would be pressed on the thousands who are arriving with no documents but I suppose thats too much to expect from an RTE interviewer.

If the SDs were in power no country would make the safe list.

Although Kathleen Funchion went out of her way to dodge the topic as well on the same programme, instead she started bladdering on about housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-41329981.html

"The Government is to further crack down on the 60% of people who try to seek asylum here without a proper basis for doing so.

Quicker processing times of asylum applications will clamp down on people who do not meet international protection criteria and instead are coming here for economic reasons, Tánaiste Michéal Martin and Integration Minister Roderic O'Gorman have said.

Mr Martin said he accepted concerns around the additional pressure health, education and other services may come under when new asylum centres are opened in communities."

The amount of posters here on the highest of horses explaining about visa's, "not economic migrants " "you're scare mongering" " another ill informed " "far-right racists".... like come on guys it doesn't work name calling people if you've nothing to add to the argument! So are the Gov far-right now after admitting there's near 2/3 people arriving for asylum are complete bogus while most of the posters here were pointed this out the past year?

Other posters mention we've plenty of space because of our landmass and pre famine population ??? from the link above "Mr Martin said he accepted concerns around the additional pressure health, education and other services may come under when new asylum centres are opened in communities."

The Gov know people want tighter controls or a complete revamp to deter bogus asylum seekers. All spin within an election year, why haven't they cracked down before when people were protesting?

Thoughts & can we give up the name calling, smug remarks ?

Post edited by GetupyeaBowsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe its time O Gorman accepted that his tweets might have something to do with 60% being economic migrants trying to play the system.

Although I suppose the fact they are actually admitting there is a problem is a small bit of progress.

There is probably zero chance the left leaning parties will have anything to say about this.

• Advertisement

"There is probably zero chance the left leaning parties will have anything to say about this."

Or some of the posters that were spinning everyone's concern with bogus asylum to right wing racist views, either they spin it to another level or completely double down.

Some progress but yet again, a referendum and election coming up so it's complete damage control. I don't trust the current bunch, if they got reelected they'll be back to name calling people who want boarders policed properly. They've (Gov parties & SF) lost a lot of support already imo no matter the latest opinion polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I've called people out for scare mongering here on the basis of their claims that IPA's require some (impossible to provide) level of 'vetting' that the rest of our society doesn't.

After that, the article you've shared is paywalled, but it's false to claim that 60 percent of claims being rejected equates to 60 of asylum seekers being bogus.

The process of being approved for refugee status is quite subjective so it's likely that of the 60 percent rejected some are legitimate claims which are wrongly rejected, some are people who believe they have a genuine claim but don't meet the criteria, and finally some are bogus.

The fact that you've jumped to the worst possible conclusion for this group doesn't necessarily make you prejudiced, or a racist, but surely you can see that it makes you look that way?

Its a joke, really, Gatling.. Like the signature.

I'm actually in the belief, sorry not been smart that you're trolling.

"After that, the article you've shared is paywalled"

It's not paywalled for me?

"but it's false to claim that 60 percent of claims being rejected equates to 60 of asylum seekers being bogus."

It's the Irish Government (from the horses mouth) with the most left leaning politician Roderic O'Gorman explaining that 60% nearly 2/3 of these folk arriving seeking asylum are bogus

"The process of being approved for refugee status is quite subjective so it's likely that of the 60 percent rejected some are legitimate claims which are wrongly rejected, some are people who believe they have a genuine claim but don't meet the criteria, and finally some are bogus."

"Legitimate claims which are wrongly rejected", they are mostly economical migrations seeking asylum but don't meet the legitimate or genuine criteria that's true been explained from our minsters in power!

"The fact that you've jumped to the worst possible conclusion for this group doesn't necessarily make you prejudiced, or a racist, but surely you can see that it makes you look that way?"

Whatever makes you feel better about me I couldn't give a fiddlers , you're still on you're high horse talking and lecturing me on whom I am. You're throwing a fit because even the Gov admitted 2/3's of people arriving for asylum are bogus and are economical migrates. Am all for emigration once it's controlled, we'll always need emigration but with people with skills and can support themselves....Is that much to ask or " make me look a certain way" ?

Post edited by GetupyeaBowsie on

Why are you going on about " name calling" and " smug remarks" when your post is doing the same back to others?

Loads of instances of just that littered across the thread from al really...

Quicker processing times of asylum applications will clamp down on people who do not meet international protection criteria 

So basically they're going to do what everybody has said they should be doing, speeding up the system.

That's good

Fair enough, I wasn't trying to name call.

Am just pointing out all the accusations towards me, explaining what the government just said today backed up a lot of balanced point of views(from many posters) that many people arriving here seeking asylum are bogus.

I want to help genuine refugee's and asylum seekers if you believe that or not but I think we need to control our boarders a whole lot better.

Like I said I can't read the article, it's paywalled.

So I can't see if O'Gorman used the term bogus or not.

If he did, parroting something that's racist or prejudiced, even if it's from a politician chasing votes, equally makes you look that way.

Your claim is equivalent to saying that everyone who fails their driving test is a dangerous driver, or that anyone who doesn't get the points for medicine is a thicko.

I'm quite sure plenty who apply for asylum do so knowing they don't meet the criteria, but until I see some reliable indicator of how many, I won't go jumping to conclusions.

• Advertisement

As the above pasted article -

"Quicker processing times of asylum applications will clamp down on people who do not meet international protection criteria and instead are coming here for economic reasons, Tánaiste Michéal Martin and Integration Minister Roderic O'Gorman have said."

Instead coming here for economic reasons, that's a bogus claim for asylum in my eyes.

"Your claim is equivalent to saying that everyone who fails their driving test is a dangerous driver, or that anyone who doesn't get the points for medicine is a thicko."

I don't make the rules for driving licenses or CAO points but listen if people need to fit a criteria to pass their driving license or accepted into medicine and fail I'm pretty happy to keep to the rules, criteria and standards.

"I'm quite sure plenty who apply for asylum do so knowing they don't meet the criteria, but until I see some reliable indicator of how many, I won't go jumping to conclusions."

You can't be quite sure that people not passing their driving test or not able to get many CAO points for medicine are not "dangerous drivers" or "tickos" but 2/3's of people refused asylum status are genuine?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement