Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Can you imagine someone in the Kremlin using that excuse, sure look if we wanted to we could kill a lot more Ukranians. You would rightly dismiss it as grostesque and preposterous. Yet here you are dismissing the deaths of Palestinians civilians as **** happens and just be grateful as Israel could kill a lot more if they really wanted to. Their closest ally has even said they are not doing enough to minimise harm to civilians.

Unfortunately there seems to be a suspicion that some of the workers from Gaza gave Hamas details about the kibbutz’s etc, whether under coercion or otherwise, and it might be difficult to get past that in the immediate future. All the more reason for Gaza to build its own economy the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Pat Kenny had an international analyst on this morning talking about how Israel is in thrall to hardcore religious fanatics in government : more akin to a theocracy or dictatorship than anything resembling a western democracy. Says though that the penny is finally starting to drop with the US and UK and others that they are dealing with a bunch of lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well thats a great ramble.

I was refering to people criticising Joe Biden when the alternative candidate Trump has cheered on Putin taking on NATO. Russia are struggling now but if Trump decides to aid his buddy that would change things considerably, plus it'd be highly unlikely America would continue supporting Ukraine even if it doesn't team up with Russia.

So Trump might save Gaza by virtue of not being Biden but it'd be bad news for Ukraine/Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Gaza hasn't been able to nor will it be able to under the current Israeli restrictions. Israel also needs to change it's behaviour towards Gaza and Palestine if there is to be a functioning economy.

Even if Trump wins, which is far from certain, Putin won't be conquering eastern Europe. Given the state of the Russian Army. So to suggest that it could happen is hyperbole. Even with a Biden win in November, they seem intent on not giving Ukraine all it needs to win outright, so it's hard to see this war not ending in a negotiated settlement at some point. That is dangerous as it will embolden Putin, but with his forces decimated he won't be in a position to March on a nato country for years to come by that time the likes of Trump will be long gone. If Trump was in power there would be no criticism of Israel coming from the US Government. It's a small mercy that he is not in power.

Yes, somebody above said something similar. I concur that it is going to take change and trust on both sides but i do think that, certainly for the short term, the govn of gaza will have to agree not to bear arms. There is precedent in terms of restrictions that were imposed on Germany and Japan and it didn’t seem to do them any harm.

If this were another country that had attacked Israel they might just take it over and that would be that. See previous wars. I don’t think that should be the case here but Hamas should definitely go sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

Lies shouted from on high vs the truth being hidden in the doublespeak

https://x.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1757000772703723521?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

On the day of the attack, people were delighted with Hamas. Nothing to do with the response.

But you made the point, that Anti-Semitism is justified.

I guess the Nazi's were right all along, eh?

Can you imagine someone in the Kremlin using that excuse, sure look if we wanted to we could kill a lot more Ukranians

The Russians are using all available conventional military means to go at Ukraine. The only things left in their locker are WMD's.

Israel could use WMD's and use much more of its conventional military if it chooses to.

But you do realise that Russia and Iran and Hamas are friends here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Which people? I would say most people in the West saw the Hamas attack as a hugely worrying development, one that no good would come of (which is how it has panned out in fact).

Jewish people harassed

Jewish people have gone into hiding

Jewish people receiving death threats

Jewish businesses targetted

Jewish children as young as 5 receiving threats

I am sure you agree its beyond the pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There is no criticism of the Israeli Gov from the current American President/administration. America is funding the war. I don't see any small mercy with whoever was in office in America.

Frankly I find it bizarre how many Irish people want to boycott everything Israeli but won't boycott or protest America.

That would be my position on the matter.

I will say firstly I am no fan of Bibi and some of its government ministers.

I think the Settlements in the West Bank are grossly wrong and just inflame a situation.

However, I blame Hamas and Iran for this war first and foremost.

Palestinians and their leaders need to stop being used and seek out a new non-violent future.

Think Ghandi, think MLK, think the older and wiser Mandela.

If the Palestinians think they can use violence as a means to achieve a political aim, they are sorely wrong, as Israel is just too strong for them, and will do what they think is right in quelling said violence.

Anyone who genuinely wants peace in Gaza should be asking for Hamas to release the hostages and lay down its arms.

Israel are not exactly holding back in their use of firepower either. They have used white phosphorous as well as 2000 pounds bombs. Are you also aware that Israel and Russia have worked together in the past.

Bibi also has expressed past admiration for Putin. Israel has not given military aid to Ukraine either. I do realise that the war in Gaza suits Russia, but how does that absolve the IDF for any breaches of International law. Is it excusable to commit wrongdoing because of what someone else maybe doing?

Where do we start?

We had an Irish politician proclaim that the attack was a 'beautiful thing'.

From polls, most Palestinians approved of the attacks, this is the biggest issue in of itself. They are brought up hate.

And we now know, there a deep antisemitism in the Arab world that we dismiss. THIS is the main issue of the conflict.

If Palestinians and their neighbours stop hating Jews so much there would be peace.

There is criticism but you could be right that it is likely just windowdressing to appease Biden's voting base.

We won't do it because we are beholden to American investment In Ireland. This is what Leo really means when he says we must act in concert with the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

"Why can't Israel do targeted attacks to take out hamas?" They do targeted attacks and kill some Hamas members and are still in the wrong. "why can't they go in and free the hostages?" They go in and free some hostages and, shockingly, they are still in the wrong.

No matter what Israel do they will always be criticised by those who just hate them. The only country in the world expected not to defend themselves, and if they do go to war, the only country expected not to kill anyone

• Advertisement

No matter how you dice it, Russia and Iran and Hamas are one on this.

Just because Israel in the past was nuanced about Russia, doesn't mean it will be so in future.

There is a clear line in the sand here. Between the Democratic Liberal West and the Autocratic tyrannical likes of Iran and Russia.

Nuanced you say. You wouldn't be using that word if it was Orban or anyone else expressing admiration for Putin. There is no clear lines in geo politics, the democratic Liberal west fosters relationships with autocratic regimes like Saudia Arabia. In any case this does not excuse those who claim to be western democratic liberals for trying to upend their consitiution to stay in power and excusing viloations of international law on the basis of what their enemies might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Jewish people harassed Palestinians being imprisoned

Jewish people have gone into hiding Palestinians having to flea and everything left behind is destroyed

Jewish people receiving death threats Palestinians being killed in their thousands

Jewish businesses targetted Palestinian businesses destroyed or stolen

Jewish children as young as 5 receiving threats Same as 3, Palestinian kids killed in their thousands

I am sure you agree its beyond the pale. It must be very hard for the Israelis (not Jews as you say)

So I guess your great bit of 'whataboutery' justified 5-year-old Jewish kids being harrassed, because of a conflict they have no involvement in, but they are the same ethnicity as one of the actors?

I have concluded that some people will never condemn attacks and harassment against Jews, because in their eyes it is deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In Australia? Or are you advocating for such behaviours worldwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Sorry - that info was not in the link posted. But I'll take your word for it. And yes, anyone who targets people via WhatsApp, regardless of their faith etc. should be held to account and brought to justice.

260 Palestinian children less than 12 months old murdered by the IDF.

I'm sure you'd agree that goes beyond the pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

There’s a lot of whataboutery going on here. The facts are Hamas (the government of The Gaza) brought this war to their home with their actions on Oct 7.

“But this war started before then” - Not this part of it.

Hamas/Palestine and their supporters are now crying because the IDF have a big stick and are using it. Well maybe Hamas/Palestine should’ve thought about that on Oct 6.

At the end of the day Israel’s duty is to protect their citizens from this EVER happening again.

Future Palestinian leadership should look to protect their people from harm. A terror attack on their militarily strong neighbour probably won’t be high on their agenda, I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

So if Ireland has economic links with a country, it will not protest against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

They were Israelis, they are involved in the conflict, Israel continues its expansion outside its agreed borders, what do you think would happen ? Look at what Israel does when someone attacks inside their territory.

The attacks on the Israelis (not the Jews) has been condemned by all most everyone on here, me included. That doesn't mean you can't also condemn the Israelis, however bad hamas is, and they are a disgusting terrorist regime, the Israelis are proving to be far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

HOW has the penny only dropped now?

It was obvious from 2 weeks into this conflict we were not dealing with rational actors in the IDF and Israeli Govt.

Advertisement