Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

Did that venue choice maximise the potential attendance? There was an awful turnout from Kilkenny; to say Limerick supporters Kilkenny ten to one wouldn’t be much of an exaggeration.

(I know maximising potential attendance is only one of the various factors to be considered.)

I’d actually have been happier with a coin toss for home venue; even if it meant a trip to Nowlan Park; great venue for a match and would have drawn good crowds from both Limerick and Kilkenny. Gaelic Grounds would have minimised the Kilkenny attendance but maximised the Limerick attendance.

• I appreciate Cork isn't far from Limerick but it's a pure b****x of a place to get of. And that's not including driving through spots like Buttevant. Thurles might be a kip but at least you get outta there fairly sharpish

The drive home was fairly awful last year. And Buttevant can be a disaster.

Pity because it is genuinely better than both Limerick and Thurles as a stadium. All three have their pros and cons.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It is the way better stadium.

I don't agree with using Thurles all the time but if the GAA wanted to please the many fans that do then they (not county boards) should have built something decent and modern like PuC in Thurles instead of constantly dragging people into that rotten toiletless tetanus booser requiring dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭raindodger

pity cork didnt do something radical and build the new stadium in mitchelstown they would have the pick of all the matches in munster .As an aside it would want to be better than all the other stadiums as it has cost so much and buried the county in debt.Take the point about the local business,but what is the priority the games ,players and spectators

• Advertisement

I don't see how a little village of 3000 people with no train station would be an appropriate place.

The out of town stadium with no history surrounded by car parks is a proven failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭raindodger

it is where it is now,always enjoyed watching matches there ,but it has a history also of being difficult to get to and from it

Assuming you have the time to leave early there's now 2 great food markets half way to break up the walk out.

Ide give anything to be going to Cork tomorrow over Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

not everybody has that level of time , back in the day 20 years ago ect , fine but now the public transport alone getting from ennis or limerick , they give you a choice then when you get there for a long walk to the ground or a bus down and a long walk back , its a great city , its a fantastic ground but its in a terrible spot , anyone that went down tonight were either stuck in traffic for at least an hour after the game tonight or had to walk nearly that to get back to the city center , that's a massive flaw on any stadium

common sense need to take hold here , if say clare have to play tipp or limerick at a natural venue then limerick should be chosen , as i say its a fantastic ground and city but if ye built a new stadium out in plassey and put on two busses every half hour or asked people to walk from the city i think it would be frowned upon

Struggled to impose themselves for the first 20 minutes. Adam English having a good game, defence starting to combine a bit better but you could tell they weren’t fully accustomed to playing together as a unit and Antrim got a small bit of joy out of that. Good improvement as the half wore on.

• Advertisement

Whatever slim hopes Antrim had were in all but destroyed within two minutes of the resumption when a free out from inside their own 21 yard line was his short and straight to Gearóid Hegarty who took a few strides forward and picked out Shane O’Brien for an easy finish into the Antrim net. Target practice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Wht was the game on in Thurles today?

They’re doing a bit of work on the Gaelic Grounds pitch, no other venue in the county suitable to cover season ticket entitlements

1-17 from play from our starting full forward line today. Not the strongest opposition we’ll face all year but that’s as good a return as we could have hoped for from O’Dálaigh-O’Brien-English

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

O Dalaigh is fantastic I think. O Brien is very talented but I think may need another year or 2. O Dalaigh is ready to challenge Flanagan and Casey for that inside role this year.

Anyone hear about the under 20s playing Kilkenny at the weekend? Apparently they were well beaten.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• You were giving out about O'Brien a few weeks back! Which is it?? BTW I think he's a serious talent

O Brien isn't the finished article . Hes behind O Dalaigh for me. O Brien controls the ball on his hurley and not straight to hand for primary possession. He misses too much still. Fantastic talent

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Fair to say that regardless of the eventual outcome a handful of lads have failed the audition up in Mullingar.

That’s not to let the more experienced players off the hook but they won’t be the ones cut from the panel by the end of the month.

Hard to know who was good or bad listening on the radio but the fringe players really shouldn't need the likes of Hegarty thrown on to save the day against Westmeath.

Not a fan of Reidy being in the backs either. He is wasted there and surely there are other players able to fit in just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭C4000

Very scrappy match in which Limerick never got motoring. Lot of frees and stoppages which broke up the play. In fairness to Westmeath, they worked hard throughout but Limerick just weren't firing for whatever reason. Byrnes will never have as bad a days shooting again.

Westmeath must have had 8 or 9 scorable frees before Limerick had one.

Youd expect that the likes of Flanagan and Tom Morrissey will come on considerably for the run.

O'Dalaigh was the one stand out player, he's very good at getting out in front and winning ball. Hegarty made a big difference when he came on, bringing composure and class. Reidy was much better later in the game when he went into the forwards.

I'd expect a stronger team to be picked for the next game v Dublin.

• Advertisement

Flanagan seems to thrive off creating or living in the space created by the other starting forwards.

The mixed A/B teams of the league don't seem to suit him.

This is exactly why I find it odd when you see some claiming the likes of O’Dálaigh/O’Brien are ready to compete with Flanagan. Flanagan has some engine on him - when he runs out to the wing you have to go with him because he’s more than capable of scoring out by the sideline. If the defender goes with him we have space created inside for Gillane or space for Hayes or Nash to run into from deep. Options.

There have been plenty of games where Flanagan has had a “poor” game in terms of his scoreboard contribution while at the same time Gillane will have caused havoc inside or Casey will have run riot, largely thanks to Flanagan’s contribution.

Gillane and Flanagan have to start when fully fit.

Flanagan is a fine player. He's clever and physical and is selfless . However his scoring threat has gone way down over the last year or so. In the All Ireland last year he was quite poor and Casey showed what damage a 'scoring ' forward could do inside.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

His scoring threat has gone way down??

Only Gillane outscored Flanagan from open play last year. Gillane scored 3-14 from play and Flanagan scored 4-9 from play. Next closest was Tom Morrissey with 0-17.

He probably had his best year in terms of scoring threat - ridiculous statement on your part.

And you’re completely missing the point when you only focus on what the player directly scores. Flanagan’s movement creates so much space and increases the threat posed by his full forward line partners.

But Christ, a lad who scores what he scored last year has lost his scoring threat?? We wouldn’t have made it out of Munster last year without him.

We are all fans of Seamus here. I'm one of his biggest supporters. His Munster final in 2022 was one of the best displays iv ever seen in a final. He was steady in Munster last year and you're right I haven't given him enough credit especially when you show those stats and of course he makes a tonne of scores.

But you're only as good as your last game and and the 2 Croke Park games didn't work out great for him. I'm saying that O Dalaigh has to come into the equation. He's scoring so freely and heavily its impossible to ignore. If O Dalaigh was from out the county the clamour for him would be higher. There has to be fresh blood in this team

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

"But you're only as good as your last game"

What a load of nonsense. I hope to god you don't ever manage a team. Or better yet I hope you do get the Clare job.

A more fitting overused cliché is “Form is temporary, class is permanent”.

Flanagan wasn’t actually that bad in Croke Park in any case. Judging only by what they put on the scoreboard is very out of touch with the modern game. The full forward line is the first line of defence.

The likes of PeggyShippen would have taken Peter Casey off at half time in the final.

• In fairness, if you're only as good as your last game, TK wouldn't make the Clare panel after the last 2 Kilkenny semis 🤫

I think we ll have to look forward to what happens in Ennis in the first round of the championship. That should be a great game. Limerick might be leaving Ennis with no points and be on the back foot in the round Robin..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭rjoe90

To be fair, I do think form is eventually going to come into it, especially considering how well O Dalaigh and English have been playing.

Advertisement